Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: pattypms, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) on Jan 19, 2015 and doing well after 12 days. I have physiotherapy 3 times per week, 1st week was the worst but I am gaining strength every time. I am still getting up several times at night because my knee gets stiff and burns, but I ice it and go back to sleep. Extension of leg is still not where it needs to be but am forcing myself to stretch as far as possible. I am walking with cane only, but other knee needs done in 3 months.

Comment from: Ray, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I had total knee replacement surgery of left knee six weeks ago. At 3 weeks I was riding the stationary bike with full range of motion. At 4 weeks I was back in the pool doing water aerobics and today I was on the ladder taking down Christmas lights. I have zero pain and nearly full motion. For the 6 months leading up to surgery I rode a stationary bike, did elliptical machine and water aerobics. I was as active as I could possibly be, and I'm sure it helped with my quick recovery. For the first three weeks I kept an ice machine on my knee for 12 hours per day, which I believe helped a lot too. I used a walker for a week and a cane for a week. No pain no gain. I ride the stationary bike (Schwinn Airdyne) several times per day to keep as limber as possible. Looking forward to spring time. I had severe anxiety leading up to surgery, and am amazed it went as easily as it did. Advice: prepare for the surgery and hit the physiotherapy hard after. My new knee and now my hip both click, but I'm told that is normal. I am very happy with how everything went.

Comment from: Pete, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I had my total knee replacement surgery (TKR) 7days ago, and was out in 4 days. The worst thing is the swelling and bruising which makes it difficult to bend knee for the exercising I have been told to do every 2 hours. I am finding it hard to push to the limit as the pain is quite severe, however I know it must be done regularly. My other knee was done in 2011 and I adhered to all the physiotherapist's instructions and have had no problems since. It quite simply is mind over matter, easy to say I know, but in the end I know it is for the best. No pain no gain as they say. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Grandmasworld, Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had knee replacement 3 months ago. I did exactly what I was told and there was only one bump in the road. At 6 weeks my knee got infected with MRSA virus and had to take heavy antibiotics. It worked and then healing was back on track. At 10 weeks I was finished with physiotherapy and graduated to a 123 degrees. I saw the doctor at 11 weeks and he said I was doing great. I am doing everything I did before surgery, only better and I have very little pain if any. I am trying not to overdo but I lead a busy ranch life. I am 73 years old female. No limping except when my other leg gets tired. I had accident with that one 6 years ago.

Comment from: The Virginian, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had total knee replacement on 11/11/14 and I had no pain while in the hospital. I came home in 4 days with home health and physical therapy for 2 weeks and went to out-patient therapy. I have had burning on the inside of the knee but no pain where the incision is. I felt so good with the pain medication and I was on my leg too long! The swelling started and I had to elevate and ice down often. Follow instructions from your doctor! It has been 4 weeks since my surgery and in 4 weeks' time I have 120 bend in the knee. Therapy will continue for 2 more weeks. I should have had the surgery 3 years ago. Use your walker and cane.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I had surgery during high school (sport injury) which deteriorated until my knee started locking up. I put surgery off for 2 years. I read and heard too many horror stories. Surgery was on 11/19, and I was released the next day. I started therapy the day after. It will be 3 weeks post operation tomorrow, I am off pain medications, and back to work (educator). I do home exercise each day, and therapy 3 times a week. Range of motion is better than I had in years, and my strength is increasing each day. I should have done this earlier.

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a total left knee replacement eight weeks ago. I'm not going to lie, the pain is awful, worse than they say, but when you see what they have to do, you can see why it is so painful. But do what they tell you to do, take pain relief that suits you, do your exercises little and often, and don't give up I. put my music on, it helps to exercise. Join a class if you can so you get help. Sleeping is not easy but it gets better. I have to have my right knee replaced next year, it's bone on bone so it's got to be done. I'm not looking forward to it but I'm glad there is something that can be done even if it's painful, I've been told it takes two years to fully recover so keep positive, and good luck.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.