Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: AKG3x3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

At present I am a little over 4 weeks postoperative and the hard work I put in during my three day stay as in-patient and the in-home rehabilitation over the past weeks has had a major setback. I have gone from a 90 degree range of motion to about 65 or 70 degree due to severe pain at the very top of the knee cap. It is very depressing as at this stage I have had to start using a cream for infection, so most everything is on hold. Also if anyone could tell me the best way to sleep I would appreciate it very much. So I'm saying that I have not honestly been able to enjoy the success of the surgery if there is such a thing.

Comment from: Sam I Am, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am only 50, but due to a skeletal deformity and severe osteoarthritis, I had a TKR (total knee replacement) of my left knee 8 months ago. Surgical pain was rough, as was rehabilitation, but I regained full range of motion after 4 months of outpatient therapy 3 times a week. Major downside, I didn't sleep well for 6 months, nor did I eat well. However, both of those issues improved. Aside from some non-painful clicking, I had great results, so good in fact, that I had a left TKR just 4 weeks ago today! I know that I will not sleep well or eat well for 6 months, but pain-free walking on two straight legs is worth it!

Comment from: diddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had spinal block operation which was good, bit frightening at first thought. The physiotherapist got me up walking three hours after surgery which felt fine but I fainted due to low blood pressure. I did well in the hospital but soon as I came home I had lots of pain, could not sleep properly, had two hours sleep at a time then I was awake with pain. It felt like my leg had gone to sleep, a bit like cramps, could not move it, and had to get my hand to move it. I had bad pain behind my calf area where they clamped the leg too hard. I could not touch my shin bone for weeks. Using ice helped to numb pain, as well as swelling. Now I have muscle pain going up outside of leg and have to do extra exercises for that. I am in my seventh week and the pain is getting to me, I sure don't want to have another one.

Comment from: Hhaley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had TKR (total knee replacement) done on left knee 3 1/2 months ago; the worst thing I have ever done. The pain is so bad that I had to go to pain management because my doctor would not give me any more pain medications. I can't sleep at night for the pain. I have a hard time walking and trying to get up from a chair. I wish I never had it done.

Comment from: Pebbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had right total knee replacement 10 days ago. Pain management was wonderful, I never had any really severe pain. I am currently off the walker and using a cane. I have not returned to driving yet. But I am told that if I continue to progress this well I will be able to drive in another week.

Comment from: Faye D, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had revision surgery on my 14 year old knee replacement because it was losing the material used for cushioning, especially around the kneecap. Because I knew that immediate therapy is the most important thing to recovery, I started right away when I got home with the strap I used for my first surgeries (I've had both knees replaced). I did leg slides constantly while in bed and using the strap, made a loop to go around my foot and pulled towards me as strongly as I could stand. By the time the home therapist made her first visit, I was up to 115 degrees and at the end of home therapy I was at 122 degrees. Yes, I've had a lot of pain even though it is 2 months post operation. Sleeping is difficult because it sometimes feels like electric shocks are going through my knee and then the throbbing and aching begins. Some people have also told me that they have had very little pain and I haven't been that lucky, but the surgery had to be done if I wanted to keep walking. I had to have manipulation under anesthesia with my first knee to break up scar tissue so I know you have to do the therapy immediately after surgery, because with a lot of scar tissue forming quickly you will never get the motion you will need.

Comment from: Unknown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had knee replacement surgery on July 30, 2013. I cannot take any narcotics as they make me sick. I go to physiotherapy 3 times a week and I feel the range of motion and extension is not where it should be. When at physiotherapy my knee is bent to 106 degrees, I get such a pain that the person needs to stop. Over-the-counter drugs do not help at all. I do not get a good night's sleep since the surgery.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.