Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: ginger, (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a total knee replacement on January 20, 2016. Sometimes I can't walk, some days I can bend it and other days I can't. When I walk or go to bed at night it burns, my shin burns and I cannot go back to work. I had my right knee done years ago and never had a problem. I have tried to bike to get my leg less stiff but it doesn't help. I do hope there is help out there for it.

Comment from: Mel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I had my second knee replacement December 17th 2015. I am still in so much pain, and my ankle is swelling up. I walk every day, and do my exercises but the pain is intolerable. I am anti-pills; I don't know if this excruciating pain should last 6 months.

Comment from: William / 68, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my left knee replaced on 4/27/16. Today is May 7th and I'm doing very well. My leg extension is at 0 degrees and flex is at 110! The surgery was done at 8:30 am and I walked out of the hospital at 1:00 pm. Yes, I had some pain but between the exercises I do daily, the walking I do without any devices, my physiotherapy assistance and little reliance on pain medicines, icing and using the CPM machine, this was a great experience. My surgeon was and is outstanding. One thing I would encourage everyone to do is really exercising the affected knee on a daily basis prior to the surgery. And finally, never miss a day of doing the exercising and walking!

Comment from: MrGary, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had my knee replacement done 5 days ago. I spent 3 days in the hospital as advised to. On the 3rd day while learning to go upstairs my knee buckled and I began bleeding, so an extra day was done. I found that the medication to stop swelling stopped most of the pain. My surgery used the block method and during my stay the leg was mostly numb and foot sole, asleep. I went in for physical therapy (PT) and bled again (stretched my knee too far getting into car). I got patched up and was told to not bend knee over weekend and I will try to start PT Monday. It was a rough night as the pain was unbearable (tried to slow down on pain medication). I went back to prescribed dosage but sweated in bed like a pig last night. Today the pain is controlled and we will see where we go! My wife has been fantastic taking care of me and am so glad for her care. Hopefully my recovery begins to get better.

Comment from: freddielove, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

Everything everyone went through, I went through the same thing and the same pain. I was downing 2 Vicodin every 4 hours and dealt with all the nasty side effects but I had to do what I had to do to bring down the pain. Total knee replacement surgery was done in June 2011 and of course I am glad I had it done but also said I never will have it done again. Well, today I am having worse pain now in my other knee that I can't handle anymore, and I can't wait for my surgery for right knee replacement hopefully soon. I know I will suffer all of above but it is only temporarily and I will soon get over it and be able to finally walk normal again. For all of you in pain hang in there! It will go away and make sure you do your therapy! It is very important that you fix that leg right the first time or it will haunt you big time. Just think, in 3 or 4 months the pain will almost be gone.

Comment from: Ian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I had a partial knee replacement five weeks ago, and things were going ok. I had loads of pain waking every two hours through the night but seemed to be improving I've been doing all my exercises but the last week my knee is swelling up and the pain is getting worse. I am starting to get a bit worried if this is normal. I'm back to see the consultant next week, I am starting to get worried.

Comment from: llfoster22, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am so glad I found this site because now I feel like my recovery from total knee replacement surgery is like the recovery of many other people. More importantly the pain that I'm experiencing is not unusual. My surgery was on 4/6/16. I'm 2 weeks out and will be starting physiotherapy next week. I am having a hard time with the amount of pain and the character of the pain. I'm taking oxycodone every 4 hours or when needed, which is often. It seems like if I push myself with exercise and walking today I will have swelling, stiffness and increased pain tomorrow. However after reading the posts I think this is the nature of the recovery. Good days, not so good days, but I'm moving forward.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.