Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: jonnyvictim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I am two weeks out from a total knee replacement (TKR) surgery on joint battered over many decades of climbing, skiing, rugby and general outdoor foolishness. I spent one night in hospital, then home and started physiotherapy (PT). I had 90 and 118 four days out. Second PT visit, therapist noticed heavy swelling. He sent surgeon the photo and he said to go to the emergency room for ultrasound. All clear, no DVT (deep vein thrombosis), thank heavens! Pain of exercise is easing to tolerable. Swelling has subsided. I used walker for the first week, now cane. I sleep soundly for three to four hours, then have naps for the rest of the night. I use pain medications only prior to PT sessions, which I do twice a day for 30 minutes. I am suffering as much as I expected from research prior to operation. Long way to go but I am optimistic that recovery will go well and I'll be back in the mountains by spring. Good luck to all considering or already going through this.

Comment from: Kroy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 14

I had total knee replacement on November 2nd. I spent three nights in hospital and the first two weeks at home were pure misery due to pain. Now at 5 weeks things are much better. I take Advil at night time when I go to bed and sleep fairly well. With physiotherapy twice a week I am able to straighten my leg and flex at 100 degrees. I am able to walk for distance but take it slow. Downhill is still a challenge but will get better as I gain strength. The biggest issue I've had is my back pain. Not sure if it's because I was out of alignment before due to my diseased knee and now have to get used to being back to normal. All in all I couldn't be happier that I had it done.

Comment from: Bruce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

It is four weeks since my total knee replacement surgery. I use no crutches, just a stick for stability. I can walk reasonable distances. I can drive easily. I am very strict with myself and physiotherapy and use cold pack three times a day. Medicines are just paracetamol and ibuprofen. Biggest problem is pain at night, that constant throbbing! I manage to sleep about 6 hours now but a disturbed sleep. The bruising is reducing steadily.

Comment from: sacha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a total knee replacement two years ago. I had no pain, and rehabilitation was intensive but fun. I had extension of 120 within three weeks, and was walking unaided the first week. Everything seems fine; no pain in the knee, although my ankles get tired after a long active day. I still worry about the future. I hope the replacement lasts. I don't look forward to ever having a revision, but previously I could not walk more than short distances.

Comment from: lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My total knee replacement surgery was fine. The therapy was so aggressive and I was told that I had to get my knee straight, lie flat in 6 weeks or won't get it back. They would force knee to bend to get range of motion and I had pain to point of screaming. I had little to no sleep, depression from pain and lack of sleep. Even though I am exercising, using CPM machine daily, walking, and pool therapy, I still have stiffness on knee and it is not straight. I hope to have it better down the road but it has been an awful experience.

Comment from: peterfehr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

A week after total knee replacement and I couldn't be happier. Because I elected for the procedure before walking became hard, I was relatively fit going in. I was discharged same day, 3 hours after the operation. This was my option, the only rules were 'you have to walk and urinate before we release you'. No problem. I went home, made it up the stairs with little difficulty and slept through the night. I started on the CPM machine and Cold Rush chiller immediately. I was at 75 degrees of flexion day 2 and 110 day 3. I was walking with Zimmer frame day 1, now a week later with a cane. The nerve block wore off after 48 hours and obviously the knee started to hurt. A lot! One 5 mg oxycodone every 3 hours did the trick. I just got back from a quarter mile walk no worse for wear. Leg swollen and blue, but all this is (I'm told) normal. Only frustration was the pain-killer-induced constipation. Three Dulcolax for a couple of days fixed that. I am a success story and give most of the kudos to my excellent surgeon. Reading other reports, I made the right choice getting the operation as soon as it became inevitable rather than waiting until it was absolutely necessary. So far, so good.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.