Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: brownsugar60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was having too much pain, it was hard to sit at my desk and work or walk around. I decided to have the total knee replacement. It's been 16 months now. I hear of people who have had surgery before and since I have had, and they are enjoying life better than before. I don't know what my problem can possibly be, I was always busy walking, running and busy until I noticed the pain was so bad and getting worse over the years. I'm still having issues. My therapy was going well, then my knee was swollen and in a lot of pain. I went to the doctor, he drained it and gave me some medicines. He said that if it didn't get better he would need to go back in to see what the problem was. I'm still having issues with my knee. I am not sure what I'm doing or not doing to make this better. I walk and exercise on stationery bike, but still have a lot of pain. I don't know when the pain will stop! Good luck to all!

Comment from: dancer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

First total knee replacement was done at 83 years and second when almost 85 years old. It did real good. I managed the pain well. The only problem is that I feel that I don't walk straight. I have pain in the hip area that seems to make me limp. No pain in the knees. Last one is 6 months old. Glad that I had it done.

Comment from: John L, Male (Patient) Published: April 15

Seven years ago I had half knee replacement on right knee. I had no improvement, then same with other knee. No improvement. I then had right hip replaced to see if this would help; no improvement. Then 5 years ago I had full knee replacement on right knee, no improvement. I have been told by surgeon he doesn't know why I am still in pain in both knees and I take morphine twice a day and have to walk with sticks. Because of pain I can only walk very short distances. Pain can be very severe at times.

Comment from: Jac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on March 5th, 2015. I had spent 5 years dealing with shots in both knees. I had bone on bone with horrible pain. My surgery was on Thursday and I came home Saturday. It's been 5 weeks and I am walking without cane or crutch. Therapy was 3 times a week but now it's twice a week. I am most bothered by a tightness along the side of my knee. The physiotherapist says it is my iliotibial (IT) band. I am planning on second knee in September, hopefully avoiding this tightness and burning I have now. My bend is 124 and I can walk a mile.

Comment from: scooter03, (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a left total knee replacement (TKR) on March 13, 2015. I have been in extreme pain and it has not let up yet. I would think it would be starting to get better by now. I know that I am only 8 days out of surgery but the leg swelling is from my hip to my baby toe. My ankle is black and blue along with my entire knee and the back of my leg from my butt cheek to below my knee on the outside. I have tried to keep it moving but I can barely move it. I have not started therapy yet but I don't know how I will even be able to do that. This has to get better. I read a lot of other people's threads and they are doing far better than I am. I wish I didn't have it done.

Comment from: Cindy187, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had my total knee replacement (TKR) on 13th January, 2015. I am 8 weeks out and doing very well. There is lots of pain involved during recovery. Therapy is very difficult but definitely worth it. My setback started in hospital. I am prone to blood clots and developed 9 (nine) following surgery. I couldn't use ice. I started therapy in hospital, but couldn't even walk to the therapy room. I had clots in my lungs! Clots are gone and therapy is going very good now. I am at a 112 degree bend, almost there.

Comment from: Don P, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had total knee replacement on 2/18/2015, on week 3 I went from 50 to 77 degrees. I am doing exercise and therapy and I am going backward on my degrees. I am doing my icing with leg elevated. Knee feels hot to touch and at night I get maybe 2 to 4 hours of sleep. It is painful but not on the knee itself, but calf and thigh muscle. Doctors say it is ok.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.