Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

In June 2013 I had a total knee replacement with nerve block and light sedation. Within hours of the surgery I was walking with the aid of crutches. I was discharged the next evening having been given exercises by the physical department to carry out on a 2 hourly basis. This I did religiously requiring ice packs between exercise sessions to control swelling. I was unable to sleep properly for about 3 nights at home even with pain killers. The hospital rang me after about 3 days to assess my progress and suggested I try to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees, but not under. This worked perfectly and I slept without pain killers for the first time since the operation. Six months later, the knee is feeling great and improving each day. I started work after 12 weeks, I am a plumber, and the only thing I cannot do at present is kneel.

Comment from: Maiden, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

It's just over three months since TKR (total knee replacement) and I am a 74 year old female. I am now walking without pain and go up and down steps normally. I still have soreness on the left side of the knee. I am very pleased with the surgery and recovery. The only problem is with lifting which makes knee soreness much worse. I opted out of therapy after 5 visits. After a therapy session I would be in pain until the following session. I found I could do home therapy with better results.

Comment from: AKG3x3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

At present I am a little over 4 weeks postoperative and the hard work I put in during my three day stay as in-patient and the in-home rehabilitation over the past weeks has had a major setback. I have gone from a 90 degree range of motion to about 65 or 70 degree due to severe pain at the very top of the knee cap. It is very depressing as at this stage I have had to start using a cream for infection, so most everything is on hold. Also if anyone could tell me the best way to sleep I would appreciate it very much. So I'm saying that I have not honestly been able to enjoy the success of the surgery if there is such a thing.

Comment from: Sam I Am, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am only 50, but due to a skeletal deformity and severe osteoarthritis, I had a TKR (total knee replacement) of my left knee 8 months ago. Surgical pain was rough, as was rehabilitation, but I regained full range of motion after 4 months of outpatient therapy 3 times a week. Major downside, I didn't sleep well for 6 months, nor did I eat well. However, both of those issues improved. Aside from some non-painful clicking, I had great results, so good in fact, that I had a left TKR just 4 weeks ago today! I know that I will not sleep well or eat well for 6 months, but pain-free walking on two straight legs is worth it!

Comment from: diddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had spinal block operation which was good, bit frightening at first thought. The physiotherapist got me up walking three hours after surgery which felt fine but I fainted due to low blood pressure. I did well in the hospital but soon as I came home I had lots of pain, could not sleep properly, had two hours sleep at a time then I was awake with pain. It felt like my leg had gone to sleep, a bit like cramps, could not move it, and had to get my hand to move it. I had bad pain behind my calf area where they clamped the leg too hard. I could not touch my shin bone for weeks. Using ice helped to numb pain, as well as swelling. Now I have muscle pain going up outside of leg and have to do extra exercises for that. I am in my seventh week and the pain is getting to me, I sure don't want to have another one.

Comment from: Hhaley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had TKR (total knee replacement) done on left knee 3 1/2 months ago; the worst thing I have ever done. The pain is so bad that I had to go to pain management because my doctor would not give me any more pain medications. I can't sleep at night for the pain. I have a hard time walking and trying to get up from a chair. I wish I never had it done.

Comment from: Pebbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had right total knee replacement 10 days ago. Pain management was wonderful, I never had any really severe pain. I am currently off the walker and using a cane. I have not returned to driving yet. But I am told that if I continue to progress this well I will be able to drive in another week.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?