Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: daysfan267, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago, and must say it has been rough. I had a brain tumor removed 2 years ago and would rather do that again, believe it or not. I have constant clunking in my knee, the doctor says it is normal but it bothers the heck out of me. It is a movement I feel I must do because it is in my mind now.

Comment from: Debi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am so disappointed after almost 9 months after total knee replacement surgery. It has hurt daily since surgery. Surgery, post-surgery, and therapy went well but I never got better. X-rays show no problem and doctor has no idea what is wrong. Neither do I, it is no better than before. I am terrified it will not get better!

Comment from: Clicker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

After total knee replacement I am 14 week post operation and doing very well, even playing golf! However, the clicking still persists and I am worried that it will never go away. It is very unsettling when I walk.

Comment from: Hospitalmistake, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

On the eve of my total knee replacement surgery, it was discovered that not only was my thigh and part of my knee numb, but I also could not lift my leg. I was assured that this was normal and that the nerve block took longer to wear off in some people. I was told this for the 5 days I was in the hospital. After being released, we had to get strangers to help me get in the car. I literally had to drag myself up 15 steps to get upstairs to my bedroom. Fast forward over several months and I am still numb and cannot lift my leg. The hospital has been no help and I am still a prisoner in my upstairs bedroom. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I'm 10 weeks out from a right knee replacement. I got an infection after 4 days and was readmitted through the emergency room. I had IV antibiotics, steroids and blood thinners and recovered from that. Pain was horrible the first 2 weeks. I had home physiotherapy (PT) for a month and am presently doing outpatient PT. I had a Polar Pack wrapped around my knee and elevated for 7 weeks. I am still on 6 (5 mg) oxycodone a day plus Tylenol and ibuprofen, but still my knee aches a lot. I cannot stand or walk more than 20 minutes. I am using an Omron electrotherapy device which really helps with pain control. I am doing all the exercises even though they bring tears to my eyes. I can straighten my leg and bend to 120 degrees. I feel discouraged because the pain isn't under control if I'm doing weight bearing activity. Guess it just takes longer for some people. My surgeon is top notch and I had the new Conformis specially fitted knee which is supposed to be better. To all who are frustrated, I suggest to keep doing the exercises (I keep an exercise journal).

Comment from: lotte, Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago. The doctor said the leg was crooked so he straightened it, and now I have ITB (iliotibial band syndrome). It is pretty painful, and stiff in the morning. I have pain behind knee when sitting. Massage on ligament shows it is tight.

Comment from: CindyMO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I suffer from arthritis all over my body. Needless to say my joints are worn out. I had knee replacement in March of 2015. I also journal through the process of healing, charting my progress. Pain totally subsided about week 5 to 6. Now I am at week 19, still a lot of swelling, and I do not climb stairs very well. I use my cane when in public as my balance is not stable and people bump into you knocking you off balance. Other issues plague me and it makes my other knee hurt. I did return to work at week 13. Very difficult as we work on concrete floors and climb stairs. Hoping at week 26 which will be six months I see more improvement. Not sure about being 100 percent but I am better. I do water therapy 3 times a week which helps. Reminding myself it may take a year or 18 months for me to feel more normal. Hang in there and good luck to those facing knee replacement because overall I am so much better.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.