Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had total knee replacement exactly one year ago. Doctor did a nerve block prior to surgery. He came in my room next morning and asked if I could lift my leg, which I did, and he said excellent. I spent 3 days in hospital and only 4 days at a physical rehabilitation floor. I was walking 200 steps at a time when I left the rehab. I had home physiotherapy for about 6 weeks, and had great bend, 120-125. My knee was weak for 4 or 5 months, but now, one year after, I have no problems at all. Probably going to have the other knee replaced in the next year or so. It wasn't all that bad, and I am glad I had the one done; now on to the next one.

Comment from: tennis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I had total knee replacement in January 2014. Recovery has not been pleasant even with therapy. They are suggesting revision surgery which I cannot bring myself to do. My knee pops out of the socket or whatever when I walk some time and we have to work on it for several minutes before I can get it back in socket and pain to stop so I can walk again. We do not know what is happening.

Comment from: Bobby J, Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I had total knee replacement in 10/14 by a phenomenal surgeon with great success. I had the other knee replaced by the same surgeon in January 2016, and that was done on an out-patient basis; yes, you read that right, I was back home by 3.30 pm that same day. I had in home physical therapy (PT) for ten straight days, and out-patient therapy for six weeks (3 times per week). I will admit, PT at times was brutal, but I am one to push myself anyway. Now at just 2 and 1/2 months out from most recent surgery, I am walking briskly for over an hour with no pain, no more oxycodone, just occasional Tylenol when I need it. Flexion is about 130 degrees. I got my life back, my advice to anyone thinking of having it done, do it!

Comment from: wayne n., Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I had 2 total knee replacements operated on same day. Surgery went well but the pain something else. After 7 weeks lots of funny pain still going on, I am walking well and have been unaided for 3 weeks, just seems the sick feeling won't leave me and unwell systems are still there. I have cut my medication down but nothing changes. Not sure if I would do it all again.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I had total knee replacement (TKR) on 1/4/16 and on 1/8/16 my flexion was 60 degrees and extension 10 degrees. By 2/5/16 flexion was 110 degrees and extension 0 degrees. I have been to physical therapy. It is now 4/4/16 and the pain is still pretty bad and I cannot put full weight on knee and stand for long period without pain. I do not get how some people seem to say that they did not need any device to help them walk after three months and walking unaided. I don't know when this pain will stop.

Comment from: earl, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have 2 knee replacements, one 20 years old one 15 years old. I am 81. I left the hospital 5 days after surgery each time and my therapy was done at home by myself following instructions by the doctor. I returned to work 3 weeks later each time [carpenter]. I have used a glider rocker every day to exercise my knees, to remove any pain from heavy lifting etc. I still work, walk 2 miles a day climb stairs, dance and enjoy life. The glider rocker is the secret to my good recovery. I use it while watching TV.

Comment from: Missie Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had knee replacement surgery on my right knee five weeks ago. Post-surgery pain was much worse than I expected. I went straight from the hospital to a rehabilitation hospital. I was doing okay until day 8 when I experienced chest pains and shortness of breath. The nurse listened to my chest and told me I was fine. The next day the chest pain and breathing was worse, I collapsed and was rushed by ambulance to the closest emergency room where I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism and given 2 percent chance of surviving the night. After spending 2 more weeks in the hospital including in the ICU flat on my back, I am finally home. My leg is stiff and swollen and the pain is excruciating. I am having trouble with blood thinners (my INR is 7.5 which is critically high) and they say it's too soon to know about permanent heart damage. I struggle to walk around the house with a walker, can't leave the house, and require 24 hour care. We may have to sell the house and move to assisted living. I am going through the red tape of setting up physical therapy but I don't know if it will work. I'm 68 years old and I'm just waiting to die.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.