Patient Comments: Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Millie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had total knee replacement surgery on my left knee on 01/19/16, and then on 05/03/16 I had a manipulation under general anesthesia. I still can't bend or totally stretch. My physical therapy has been very poor. I still have a lot of pain and my knee is swollen. I just want to get better so I can go back to work. I'm second guessing if this surgery was for me.

Comment from: westerngal, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

The total knee replacement was done on March 9th, it is 9 weeks out and I am in terrible pain. Pain medicines don't help, goes for physiotherapy 2 times a week. There is throbbing pain at night so not getting much sleep.

Comment from: llfoster22, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am so glad I found this site because now I feel like my recovery from total knee replacement surgery is like the recovery of many other people. More importantly the pain that I'm experiencing is not unusual. My surgery was on 4/6/16. I'm 2 weeks out and will be starting physiotherapy next week. I am having a hard time with the amount of pain and the character of the pain. I'm taking oxycodone every 4 hours or when needed, which is often. It seems like if I push myself with exercise and walking today I will have swelling, stiffness and increased pain tomorrow. However after reading the posts I think this is the nature of the recovery. Good days, not so good days, but I'm moving forward.

Comment from: jenni641, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had right knee total replacement on 4/19/16. The pain shooting through my knee is so unbearable. I called the doctor 3 times today, and he said it was normal to feel the nerve endings and it shall stop in a day or two. I am regretting having this done all together. I am supposed to have my left leg done in 6 weeks but have opted out not to. The pain is so bad it takes my breath away and I scream every time I get up. Will this ever stop! They said if I go to the emergency room they would just control the pain with drugs then send me home. So now what, I don't know. I can't stand this anymore.

Comment from: Gramof6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am 3 weeks out from total right knee replacement. I did my homework on the surgery, spoke with several family and friends who've already been through it. I really thought I had a good understanding and went into this with great hope. Positive thoughts consumed me as I also meditated and did self-reiki. Well, long story short, nothing went as I'd hoped. First off, I needed a blood transfusion 2 pints and the pain had me out of my mind. The pounding, throbbing and swelling had me contemplating just cutting off my leg and beating myself to a pulp. Pain management was tricky due to my numerous allergies; rashes, itching, vomiting, and dizziness to name a few. I took a brush and scrubbed myself raw due to itching. It was, simply put, a freaking nightmare. Finally after 3 weeks, I'm on a pain patch and medicine for itching. Physiotherapy is twice weekly for 45 minutes each. I do my own as well 3 times every day. My range is still only 60 degrees. I'm so frustrated because goal is 120. I'm doing my very best and it's only 60. I need left knee done in a year and honestly I'd rather have my head slammed in a car door. Good luck everyone, continue working towards the rainbow. I will as well.

Comment from: nightnurse1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had a left knee replacement on 25/2/16 and if I could go back to that date and reverse my decision I would instantly. I was in hospital for 2 nights and the criteria for discharge was being able to walk up and down some steps in the physiotherapy department with the aid of crutches. I was discharged with a booklet of exercises to do and a DVD about exercise to watch. The first 3 weeks were relatively uneventful but since then I have experienced some of the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I saw my general physician (GP) who prescribed pain relief and then rang the hospital. They were really not interested, a physiotherapist suggested sleeping with a pillow under the affected knee, and ice packs. Things got worse and I saw a different GP about 10 days later, and he was so concerned about my symptoms he rang the hospital himself securing me an emergency appointment later that day. The doctor was concerned I had a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which I did not and then told me the pain I was experiencing then and continued to have 10 days later is all part of the normal recovery process. If that is the case, I wonder why no one in the medical profession I came in contact with prior to the operation, explain this would be the case. The hospital doesn't want to see me again for another 8 weeks, there is no physiotherapist in place to help me and I feel stuck in limbo, a situation I am struggling with as I miss my independence so much. I am, or should I say was, fine until the 25th February this year and I am beginning to fear I will never make a full recovery. My other knee is fine right now which is just as well as surgery on it will never be an option.

Total Knee Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.
Total Knee Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What was the cause of you needing a total knee replacement?
Total Knee Replacement - Exercises and Physical-Therapy Question: Please share your experience with exercises and physical-therapy following a total knee replacement surgery.