Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: l hult, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

My severe leg cramps are always stopped with a muscle rub. I get the cheapest kind at the store and rub it in the cramp; relief in usually 30 seconds. Just don't get it on sensitive areas!

Comment from: joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had horrid groin pain starting in early 2010, and I ended up with anterior hip replacement in October 2010. Mine has been a nightmare. Five months post operation I was great and it all went downhill. I ended up with femoral nerve damage, IT (iliotibial) band damage down side of leg, and shorter leg. Often I wish I had my old pain back. Only thing I don't have is groin pain but everything else is terrible. I'm 77.

Comment from: Wantmylifeback, (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 35 years old I have avascular necrosis in both hips. I need a bilateral hip replacement. I'm ready for my life back.

Comment from: MJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

At age 65 I was diagnosed with avascular necrosis. I did not even know what this was. My pain was in the groin and hip bone area. I was fortunate to be able to have the surgery for total hip replacement within 2 1/2 weeks after diagnosis. I did great after surgery for about 3 weeks, then got an infection in the skin that caused me to need more rest and less exercise. That was a setback for me. Since then, I have not been pain free. I have a big goal to go with my granddaughter on a make-a-wish trip to Disney World in one week, 11 weeks after surgery. I am still having some pain but having therapy 3 times/week and improving very slowly. I am disappointed in still having pain. I am thinking positive and being careful, plus many wishes from friends and family will help I'm sure.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I had full hip replacement five and a half weeks ago. I fell while curling (this is the ice game that has people sweeping in front of rocks on the ice). I did not know I broke my hip at first and moved around in horrible pain for a week until I was admitted to emergency. I had one hanging leg! After the emergency surgery not having pain was a relief, I started walking with a walker and did physiotherapy (PT) in payment and now do outpatient PT. I am hoping after my x-ray tomorrow, the doctor will give me clearance to start bending! I have no pain, just the jab if I twist too quickly. The PT has helped so much. I can walk three miles with and without the walker. Looking forward to driving myself this week at last. I attribute my wellbeing to the skill of the surgeon, and following PT religiously.

Comment from: Ms.Harris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have chronic sinus infection and allergy. I had the sinus surgery and I wish I never did because it brought on other issues that affect me. I can't smell or taste anything most of the time. I still get infections, and my goodness, headaches. I eat my part of good green vegetables but I do have high blood pressure. I have tried the Neti pot and the nasal sprays which my doctor told me not to use because it dries me out. I have an issue with very bad breath too although I take care of my oral hygiene but I have noticed that when I talk the person would be flickering their nose with their finger and they sometimes just kind of pinch their nose. This is by far the most embarrassing thing ever. When I'm in a room full of people it appear the room gets filled with horrible mouth funk. It smells like I have a very bad cold. I do what I am supposed to do and with this issue I don't know how to fix. The dentist can't help so I am wondering what I can do at home.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?