Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Busted hip, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 32 years old this week, and I have needed a left hip replacement for years. I will have it done this December. You all know the pain and embarrassment I feel. I couldn't even wipe myself last time I went to the bathroom, when it got cold and rained in the same day. I have a young family and I ride a motorcycle for a living. I'm scared that I won't be able to go back to my job to support my family. I can't play with my children the way I used to. I worry the kids will resent this as it will be all too soon before I'm back for my next replacement ( if the other hip doesn't go first). I had a slipped epithisis at 13 years old then the other at 15 years old. I have had arthritis since 24 years old. I'm crossing my fingers hoping for the best.

Comment from: violette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a total hip replacement 2 years ago and I can't lift my foot off the ground. The doctor keeps giving injections of cortisone into the burssa, but that was not it. Now I don't know what to do. I still can't lift it, and I have to pick up my leg to get into the car. I am 57 years old, and I don't think this is normal to have such pain.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?