Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: coolmom359, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

My total hip replacement wasn't a choice I could make! I am a 57 year old lady truck driver and fell when getting out of my truck and broke my right hip. The pain was awful! I am on my 3rd week after the surgery and it's still painful, I am walking with a quad cane very successfully. Not sure if I will ever be qualified to drive a big truck again but sure hope so!

Comment from: Amy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a left hip replacement 4 1/2 weeks ago and continue to do a lot of walking and home exercises. I can't tell you how happy I am that the pain of the hip before surgery has decreased to nothing as I continue to exercise. My doctor has done over 1700 hip replacements and has had good results on almost all of them. It is not a hard surgery and well worth it.

Comment from: kefsgrandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had very bad arthritis in my left hip which made it very difficult to walk without being in pain. I had hip replacement surgery done January 18, 2011. I am almost 2 months after surgery and I am walking great with a cane. I have a limp if I don't use the cane. Still doing pt. leg aches at night behind the knee and down the thigh where the incision is. Feels better to be walking. Gets stiff if I sit for awhile. Seems like that side of my buttocks is still swollen. First two weeks were not a walk in the park. I hated being on the Oxycodone because of the way it made me feel, but the pain relief it gave me was great. I had never taken anything stronger than a Tylenol.

Comment from: Moe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had daily pain in my sciatic nerve and groin area, especially when driving. Also, when walking my right leg was "giving out" on me and causing me to limp. X-ray showed severe Degenerative Joint Disease. I had total hip replacement done 5 months ago.

Comment from: childcarrier, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 68 years old and had my total hip replacement done 12-20-10. My hip was bone on bone. The doctor said that I needed it done. There was no pain at all. The hospital kept on trying to give me pain pills, but I said that I had no pain. I still have had no pain. It's almost been 2 months now, and I walk with a cane outside, but inside I'm doing a lot of walking with out one. It feels great to be able to walk with out pain for the first time in 5 years or more. Next I have to have my right knee replaced. I hope it goes as well as my knee has done. I drive a school bus for a living and hope to go back to that at the end of March.

Comment from: Leo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 30 years old. Had both the hip joints replaced. The recovery is a critical phase. Now I really feel good can walk and drive. Thanks to the technology and the doctor.

Comment from: henny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was hit with polymyalgia rheumatica and was given high doses of steroids for more than 2 years. The pain in my hip/groin started slowly about three months ago and cannot walk at all now. Scheduled for a hip replacement this month. I am scared to death since I still have symptoms of PMR.

Comment from: Carla Alaniz, 25-34 Female Published: May 09

I'm 26 years old. I've been having surgeries since I was 5 years old in my right hip. My family says I was born with my leg out of place. Now that I had my last surgery in 2004, the doctor told me I would need a right hip replacement. Now that I'm getting older my leg bothers me more and more. I'm a little scared, but I need it

Comment from: drita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had both hips replaced five times total. I have pain every day. I have a hard time standing on my feet and walking. I am only 37 years old wonder what will happen when I get older. I need to work and I cannot do anything. I wish to no one what I have experienced with my all surgery. I still have a lots of pain on my both hips and my back.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?