Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: martin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My hip replacement was deeded necessary because I shattered my left acetabulum in an accident. This was last October, the surgeon did operate on that initially, but it was unsuccessful. As a result I had a total hip replacement in May. After 7 weeks I am just able to walk without sticks but have quite a severe limp. I get quite a lot of pain when standing after relaxing for any length of time, which I think is muscular, especially in the groin region. I am due to visit the specialist's clinic next week, just hoping everything is holding together okay.

Comment from: nanar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was seeing an orthopedic surgeon for bone on bone hip joint problems. Surgery was on the docket but had to have metal allergy tests done first. Results are severe metal allergies. He is at a loss so we are looking for solutions. I am not allergic to titanium but just about everything else. Is there any hope for me. Was very active, horseback, quad, dog walking, gardening, etc. now almost confined to the house. Getting heavy and frustrated.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Breast cancer that has moved to the bones. Starting with tumors on the spinal column a year ago and now infiltrating the spine itself. The femur is now involved as well as the socket. At the verge of fracturing so replacement is a must to be followed by radiation on the lumbar and sacrum for additional tumors that have been found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

June 30, 2011 I had the right hip replaced by the anterior approach. I had it done on a Thursday, released from the hospital on Friday. I used a walker on Saturday a cane on Sunday and by the following Friday I was walking without any assistance. I did not have to have any therapy. I started back walking at the YMCA within 2 weeks. I was back at work within 4 weeks. It was wonderful. The pain was gone immediately. I was actually up walking the night of my surgery, pain free. My only issue is I had and still have some leg tremors of a night.

Comment from: janeprowler, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

Birth defect caused me to require a hip replacement. The bone at the top was acorn shaped instead of round causing it to wear through my hip bone over many years.

Comment from: HappyHips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am on my 5th post-op left hip replacement day. I've had problems with my left hip for about 30 yrs. My right hip started acting up about 5 years ago. I began a strict exercising routine last Sept, which made my hips deteriorate faster. I was born with hip dysplasia which predisposed me to osteoarthritis. My sockets are too shallow. I'm walking with my walker and following all the instructions my doctor says. My doctor from Los Angeles is a hip revision specialist and did my mom's 3rd hip replacement last year at age 82; she did great! He fixes the mistakes of other ortho surgeons. I went to him from the start. I had a minimally invasive posterior approach and feel pretty darn good! Looking forward to getting my right hip done later this year! Being fit and healthy play an important role in your recovery, so take care of yourself.

Comment from: seajwolf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I decided to get a THR after experiencing excruciating pain after sitting on any hard surface for more than a minute. While I had been sleeping on a memory foam mattress and using NCIDS for several years this is the pain that was most disturbing to me.

Comment from: keegansmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total hip replacement in 2008 when I was only 22. It was a traumatic experience for me. It took me 6 months to be able to walk normally and I put on 70 pounds also because of not being able to be physically active like before my surgery. I was diagnosed with hip displasia. When I was born the doctor pulled me out of my mother and pulled my hip out of socket. The doctor popped it back into place. My parents started to see problems when I started walking and I had to go through several surgeries as a small child. Then at 22 I had to get that hip replaced. I bought an elliptical a few months ago and I have noticed a big change. The elliptical is low impact on your joints. Since then I have lost about thirty pounds and the muscles around my hip are much stronger. I slipped in the kitchen last week, usually that would injure my hip but since those muscles are strong I was able to get right back up. This prosthesis won't ever be the same as an original hip, but I am doing everything I can to make the best of it. I was in severe pain after the surgery, the pain meds weren't helping, I then found out I had been having muscle spasms. If I ever have hip pain I have to take a muscle relaxer, that fixes it, I guess my main problem has been when the muscles are weak around my hip. I still have muscle spasms, but not nearly as much since I have been using the elliptical.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?