Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had hip replacement surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I spent one night in the hospital and was strong enough to go home the day after surgery. I am a 55 year old female and have athletic all my life. That is why I believe my recovery has been good. I use a walker to get around the house but only because my doctor says it's a good idea. I can walk fine without anything. I am very disappointed however that the operated leg-hip is now about 1/2" longer than my other leg. Of course I told this to my doctor the day after surgery and he felt it was due to my swollen hip and contracted muscles. I am hoping that when I return for my first post-op visit next month my leg will be normal.

Comment from: Titanium Ceramic Gir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I needed a THR because a prior surgery called a hip pinning had failed. The hip pinning was done after I fell and broke my femoral neck bone. The pain I have had since both surgeries has been agonizing. I would never have had either surgery if I had the choice. If it was something I could have planned, I would have shopped around, literally, for the right surgeon, the right hospital, the right device (if there are any), and the right care for the right length of time and so on and so forth.

Comment from: jakobj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

I had a total hip replacement 8 years ago when I was 58. I recovered quickly and within 6 weeks was back at work with a cane which I used for about a month. Since then I've had no problems. I also suffer from chronic back pain so walking any distance for exercise, is painful. However, cycling is fine and I usually cycle 60 to 90 minutes daily which seems to help in keeping my leg and hip muscles strengthened.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: January 23

I had a total hip replacement on my left side one year ago due to a fall. No pain medications were taken and I didn't gain any weight. Three months of physical therapy and I am functioning about seventy percent from my previous lifestyle.

Comment from: Cheryl Parker, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm a 54 year old female and my hip replacement is a horror story. I had a right hip replacement due to pain in the hip. Later I had to go right back into surgery for a bleed from a nicked vein. Into ICU for four days. My legs hurt so bad. I had to have blood transfusions. More days in a regular room, I was in so much pain nothing worked. Then to a wicked rehab for 5 days, had to escape it. Since I have been home hip popped out three times, I'm afraid to sneeze I wish I had never done it.

Comment from: Harley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was in a car crash in October 2010, after which I was basically rebuilt with rods and plates and screws in each arm and leg. I broke nine ribs, two parts of my sternum, both ankles and a heel. Now I need a ball replacement in my right shoulder because the old was badly damaged and what was left had crumbled. I also need a right hip replacement because I now have arthritis in the joint which is very painful. Before all this I will have a plate and screw removed from my left wrist. I have to have two plates removed that were holding my pelvis together before they do the hip replacement but thankfully it will all be done at the same time. I am so grateful to a large medical team for all that they have done over the past two years to help me get my life back, thank you.

Comment from: 4444pack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Total hip replacement was because of osteoarthritis. I suffered for over two years. Finally my hip hurt so bad one day in May of the second year it made me go to the hospital. I was sent for an ex-ray, nothing, and then an MRI nothing, and then a cat scan nothing. The doctors were starting to wonder what was going on as I could hardly walk and the pain was extreme that I had to give up working. Then they tried one final ex-ray in a different town, that doctor came back and said you have less than 10% of your hip left. One month later they had me booked in for a total hip replacement, and I'm now on the road to recovery with physical therapy. I'm so glad I found this site to help me along with my recovery.

Comment from: airedale2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

One word: "overweight!"

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?