Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: dislocated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 41 and had a THR after a hip pinning that I had six months ago failed. I had a nonunion fracture. It'[s been two weeks since the surgery, and my ceramic hip has dislocated twice, causing unbearable pain. I was getting into bed both times. I have not had the miraculous experience of walking unassisted after a few days or of feeling less pain after the surgery than before. It was the only option for me, but it has still ended up not being a good option.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am about to have a total hip replacement. I am 59 ½ and have arthritis and severe joint, groin, and stabbing pain. I have a doctor who does 400 surgeries yearly, so I hope all goes well.

Comment from: vj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I lost both of my hips to avascular necrosis seven years ago. Since then, I have gone through seven long, painful years.

Comment from: zane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I just had hip surgery 15 days ago. I am 67 and an athletic woman – I just took a 10-mile bicycle ride today, which was approved by the doctor. Anterior vs. posterior: don't let anyone talk you into posterior. I had surgery at 2 p.m. and was out of the hospital at 2 p.m. the next day. I've had some pain during the first seven days, but not that much. I took very few pain meds following the surgery. I feel very lucky I had an excellent surgeon. Be careful and make sure you have the right doctor.

Comment from: bentrydr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

Get it in writing! I had my right hip replaced, and asked for ceramic because the woman who told me about this hospital said her husband had ceramic and was happy. The surgeon said he would replace my hip with ceramic. When I needed the left done about a year later, I asked for ceramic like the first. The doctor said it was steel, it was too late to change, and I was happy with it. I requested the same for the left. He said I could. But when the letter came that my hip(s) were being recalled I told everyone I had two recalled hips. I talked to the surgeon and he told me only the left was recalled. I asked why he didn't replace the same as the first. He said he thought it was best for me was to put in a hip that had less chance of dislocating. Sounds like he thought the first one was not very good. Yet, he put that one in anyway? Now I'm having trouble trusting someone to replace the recalled hip.

Comment from: RoseJen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am 47 and today my right hip started to give me some pain. It has gradually gotten stiffer since I was 34. During these years, I have been able to keep myself flexible through physical training – I participate in triathlons, weight training, and yoga. This past year it has gotten to the point where I can't put a sock on my right foot, for example, and my pain has increased dramatically. The training is still my rescue, but after a doctor's visit a few months ago, I was informed that the cause of my arthritis is hip luxation. Long story short; I have now made my choice – in about six weeks I am going to have a total hip replacement (THR). Yes, I am terrified, anxious, and feel like a failure as I actively train 4-6 times per week. However, I now choose to believe it will only get better doing the THR.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had hip replacement surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I spent one night in the hospital and was strong enough to go home the day after surgery. I am a 55 year old female and have athletic all my life. That is why I believe my recovery has been good. I use a walker to get around the house but only because my doctor says it's a good idea. I can walk fine without anything. I am very disappointed however that the operated leg-hip is now about 1/2" longer than my other leg. Of course I told this to my doctor the day after surgery and he felt it was due to my swollen hip and contracted muscles. I am hoping that when I return for my first post-op visit next month my leg will be normal.

Comment from: Titanium Ceramic Gir, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I needed a THR because a prior surgery called a hip pinning had failed. The hip pinning was done after I fell and broke my femoral neck bone. The pain I have had since both surgeries has been agonizing. I would never have had either surgery if I had the choice. If it was something I could have planned, I would have shopped around, literally, for the right surgeon, the right hospital, the right device (if there are any), and the right care for the right length of time and so on and so forth.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?