Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Harley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was in a car crash in October 2010, after which I was basically rebuilt with rods and plates and screws in each arm and leg. I broke nine ribs, two parts of my sternum, both ankles and a heel. Now I need a ball replacement in my right shoulder because the old was badly damaged and what was left had crumbled. I also need a right hip replacement because I now have arthritis in the joint which is very painful. Before all this I will have a plate and screw removed from my left wrist. I have to have two plates removed that were holding my pelvis together before they do the hip replacement but thankfully it will all be done at the same time. I am so grateful to a large medical team for all that they have done over the past two years to help me get my life back, thank you.

Comment from: 4444pack, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

Total hip replacement was because of osteoarthritis. I suffered for over two years. Finally my hip hurt so bad one day in May of the second year it made me go to the hospital. I was sent for an ex-ray, nothing, and then an MRI nothing, and then a cat scan nothing. The doctors were starting to wonder what was going on as I could hardly walk and the pain was extreme that I had to give up working. Then they tried one final ex-ray in a different town, that doctor came back and said you have less than 10% of your hip left. One month later they had me booked in for a total hip replacement, and I'm now on the road to recovery with physical therapy. I'm so glad I found this site to help me along with my recovery.

Comment from: airedale2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

One word: "overweight!"

Comment from: MsScott, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I'm a 52-year-old, former dancer and fitness instructor with osteoarthritis. I had a total hip replacement in March 8th. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I got up and walked to the bathroom the 2nd day. I went home with Percocet and warfarin (blood thinner to prevent blood clots). A nurse and a physical therapist came to my house 2-3 times per week. The physical therapists gave me exercises to do to increase my range of motion and strength. I followed their guidelines religiously. Yesterday I walked a quarter mile with a walker and a few blocks on my own without a walker or crutches. I walk very slowly - but I am recovering well. I plan to return to work in two days. I have been off pain meds for two weeks. I have no blood clots, and I would say it was a success! I think I can be fully recovered within a few months as long as I stick with the physical therapy.

Comment from: Syl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a total hip replacement done in 2008. I was 72 at that time. The surgery went well, and I was discharged from the hospital in five days. I followed all the instructions given by the physical therapist and other professionals. I used a cane for about six weeks and have been pain-free since, thanks to my doctor and all the other caregivers.

Comment from: pianogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I needed a total hip replacement on both hips at age 55. I had horrid pain all the time, even in bed, and could not do anything at all without tremendous pain! I tried losing 55 pounds, swimming, supplements, physical therapy, and water aerobics, but nothing at all helped the pain. I had my right hip replaced on Jan. 19, 2010, and my left hip replaced on July 13, 2010. My first hip went very well and the recovery was easy; not pain-free but relatively easy. I was in very good shape, however. My second hip went well, but I had to have a blood transfusion and my oxygen level took a week and a half to level out. I stayed in the rehab unit at the hospital for five more days as well. A year later, my hips are wonderful, and I have no pain. I am so very happy I had my surgeries.

Comment from: Porchia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Severe psoriatic arthritis. The pain for two years was unconscionable. I can barely able to walk even with high doses of Dilaudid, anti-inflammatories, etc. To do anything but lie down was excruciating. At times even that hurt a lot. My surgeon said psoriatic arthritis hurts like 20 times more than other arthritis. The relief was immediate upon awakening. A whole new pain, but nothing like before I was put to sleep. I was not able to walk into the hospital as it was both hips. I had each one replaced three months apart.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?