Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Syl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a total hip replacement done in 2008. I was 72 at that time. The surgery went well, and I was discharged from the hospital in five days. I followed all the instructions given by the physical therapist and other professionals. I used a cane for about six weeks and have been pain-free since, thanks to my doctor and all the other caregivers.

Comment from: pianogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I needed a total hip replacement on both hips at age 55. I had horrid pain all the time, even in bed, and could not do anything at all without tremendous pain! I tried losing 55 pounds, swimming, supplements, physical therapy, and water aerobics, but nothing at all helped the pain. I had my right hip replaced on Jan. 19, 2010, and my left hip replaced on July 13, 2010. My first hip went very well and the recovery was easy; not pain-free but relatively easy. I was in very good shape, however. My second hip went well, but I had to have a blood transfusion and my oxygen level took a week and a half to level out. I stayed in the rehab unit at the hospital for five more days as well. A year later, my hips are wonderful, and I have no pain. I am so very happy I had my surgeries.

Comment from: Porchia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Severe psoriatic arthritis. The pain for two years was unconscionable. I can barely able to walk even with high doses of Dilaudid, anti-inflammatories, etc. To do anything but lie down was excruciating. At times even that hurt a lot. My surgeon said psoriatic arthritis hurts like 20 times more than other arthritis. The relief was immediate upon awakening. A whole new pain, but nothing like before I was put to sleep. I was not able to walk into the hospital as it was both hips. I had each one replaced three months apart.

Comment from: martin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

My hip replacement was deeded necessary because I shattered my left acetabulum in an accident. This was last October, the surgeon did operate on that initially, but it was unsuccessful. As a result I had a total hip replacement in May. After 7 weeks I am just able to walk without sticks but have quite a severe limp. I get quite a lot of pain when standing after relaxing for any length of time, which I think is muscular, especially in the groin region. I am due to visit the specialist's clinic next week, just hoping everything is holding together okay.

Comment from: nanar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was seeing an orthopedic surgeon for bone on bone hip joint problems. Surgery was on the docket but had to have metal allergy tests done first. Results are severe metal allergies. He is at a loss so we are looking for solutions. I am not allergic to titanium but just about everything else. Is there any hope for me. Was very active, horseback, quad, dog walking, gardening, etc. now almost confined to the house. Getting heavy and frustrated.

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Breast cancer that has moved to the bones. Starting with tumors on the spinal column a year ago and now infiltrating the spine itself. The femur is now involved as well as the socket. At the verge of fracturing so replacement is a must to be followed by radiation on the lumbar and sacrum for additional tumors that have been found.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

June 30, 2011 I had the right hip replaced by the anterior approach. I had it done on a Thursday, released from the hospital on Friday. I used a walker on Saturday a cane on Sunday and by the following Friday I was walking without any assistance. I did not have to have any therapy. I started back walking at the YMCA within 2 weeks. I was back at work within 4 weeks. It was wonderful. The pain was gone immediately. I was actually up walking the night of my surgery, pain free. My only issue is I had and still have some leg tremors of a night.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?