Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

A few years ago I began having occasional pain in my hips without apparent cause. Over time frequency and severity increased. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who eventually diagnosed me with bilateral avascular necrosis of the hips and I needed bilateral total hip replacement surgery as soon as possible. I have had my right hip done and began to experience pain similar to pre-surgery days at seven months post-operation. I"m frightened and discouraged and have chosen to not have my left hip done. I can"t handle the pain. I"m 54 and feel much older since the surgery. My experience has been bad. I don"t understand what"s caused my AVN.

Comment from: NH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I suffered several injuries as the result of an accident at work, including a broken hip. Two years later, with ongoing pain and avascular necrosis, I will have a THR (total hip replacement) to resolve pain, give me a better future.

Comment from: titan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had bad osteoarthritis in the right hip and severe pain over couple of years. I had total hip replacement on 24 Oct 13, very painful for 3 days and had numb knee which kept me in bed a day extra. I learned to use Zimmer, then crutches as soon as possible, then home after 4 days. To date, 14th November, I walk up and down stairs and have been shopping, using one crutch. I hardly needed painkillers as all old pain is gone, I just have slight wound healing pain.

Comment from: scott, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

Overwork sometimes called early burnout caused my need for hip replacement. I had a very hard physically demanding job. At 40 I had my first heart attack. I was built like brick house, could lift and pull extreme weight, then bang, ever since, my health has deteriorated substantially. I'm now 43 and been told I'm too ill for hip replacement as there is 90% chance of dying. So I've been told total amputation, but they have changed their minds so to be honest I don't know what they are going to do.

Comment from: Almond joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 63 year old very active female. I have osteoarthritis and had both knees replaced in 2010 and 2011. I had my right hip replaced on February 13, 2014. I am very happy with all replacements. I did have home health for all replacements. I feel the key to a successful recovery is to follow all the rules your surgeon and physiotherapist require. I will see my surgeon on March 21 for a follow up. Home health has already released me, because progress has been excellent.

Comment from: HURTINGHIP, Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I required a hip replacement due to a fractured hip many years ago that developed osteoarthritis due to this trauma. I am 46 years old, but a "young" 46. It is a difficult decision to make to have the surgery. The more doctors you see for second, third, or fourth opinions, the more confused you will be. Whatever you do, DO NOT allow them to cut your muscles and find a doctor who does the direct anterior approach, which is one of several minimally invasive techniques. The muscle is spread, not cut. BEWARE of a doctor who tells you this is "bad" and can cause damage if you are a person of trim to average size. BEWARE of a doctor who speaks negatively against other surgeons and brags about his (or her) own abilities while putting down another surgeon. People who have the minimally invasive techniques are in far less pain, get back to work sooner, and do not end up using crutches or a walker for weeks and weeks like when the muscle is cut.

Comment from: lknapp1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a woman 67 years young, live alone, trim build, good health, very active lifestyle and yet suffered from osteoarthritis of the hip which required a total left hip replacement. Although I had severe pain when I put pressure on my leg directly after surgery, every day afterward was remarkably better. My doctor chose to use stitches which dissolve instead of staples, which I greatly appreciate. After 4 days in the hospital, I went to a rehab facility and was using both a walker and a cane. After 3 days in rehab, I was only using the cane. After 5 days in rehab, I was able to walk without the cane for short distances. After 11 days in rehab, I went home, did not require home nursing (remember, I live alone), am able to drive and signed up for outpatient rehab. All-in-all -- I'm extremely pleased with my results and look forward to getting back to an active lifestyle very shortly. My doctor said I'll be dancing again just 6 weeks after my surgery. I have 3 weeks to go.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?