Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was 18 when I had my first THR (Right). I had suffered from lower back pain and pain radiating down my legs. I was a freshman in college when I started having groin pain. Went to the hospital because the pain got to the point where I would scream in pain when I moved my leg. The doctor there told me that I had pulled muscles. Gave me some pain pills and muscle relaxers, told me to use crutches and sent me on my way. The pills ran out a month later and the pain was still there. Went back to my family Dr who said that I had tendonitis in my back and leg, but she gave me Prednisone. The pills took a lot of the pain away but I still couldn't walk without crutches. After about 4 months of the pain getting worse and worse, to the point where I could barely sit on the toilet and get up, she sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that I needed a THR. I had the right one done on April 5, 2010, then on October 20, 2010 I had my left hip replaced. After almost a year of knowing something has been wrong with me, I finally found a Dr who could diagnose me. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Comment from: Grandmother, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

In May of 2004, I had a THR of the left hip. One day later, the device failed and a revision was done. After the revision, I was on bed rest for two days. On the third day after the revision, the device dislodged causing unbearable pain. I was treated with a morphine drip for another week until I could have a third surgery. This surgery included the THR and a reconstruction procedure. My recuperation took more than a year. I walked with a cane for four years, which wore out the right hip. My right hip was replaced in November of 2010. Presently, I'm in outpatient PT and progressing well. My therapist has incorporated the left hip, attempting to strengthen it. I'm looking forward to walking normally again.

Comment from: Pk1752, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I needed a total hip replacement because I slipped and fell on a patch of ice.

Comment from: debsbabs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had a total hip replacement (right) on 6/26/13. It is now 7/15/13, and I am back to work full time. I do work in an office so it isn't manual labor, which I don't think I could do yet. I am walking without a cane or walker a lot of the time and now am anxious to be able to drive again. I don't see the surgeon until 7/25/13, but I've left a msg with his office to let me know if I can drive since I'm having no problems at all. Please let me drive...

Comment from: dislocated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm 41 and had a THR after a hip pinning that I had six months ago failed. I had a nonunion fracture. It'[s been two weeks since the surgery, and my ceramic hip has dislocated twice, causing unbearable pain. I was getting into bed both times. I have not had the miraculous experience of walking unassisted after a few days or of feeling less pain after the surgery than before. It was the only option for me, but it has still ended up not being a good option.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am about to have a total hip replacement. I am 59 ½ and have arthritis and severe joint, groin, and stabbing pain. I have a doctor who does 400 surgeries yearly, so I hope all goes well.

Comment from: vj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I lost both of my hips to avascular necrosis seven years ago. Since then, I have gone through seven long, painful years.

Comment from: zane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I just had hip surgery 15 days ago. I am 67 and an athletic woman – I just took a 10-mile bicycle ride today, which was approved by the doctor. Anterior vs. posterior: don't let anyone talk you into posterior. I had surgery at 2 p.m. and was out of the hospital at 2 p.m. the next day. I've had some pain during the first seven days, but not that much. I took very few pain meds following the surgery. I feel very lucky I had an excellent surgeon. Be careful and make sure you have the right doctor.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?