Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: titan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I had bad osteoarthritis in the right hip and severe pain over couple of years. I had total hip replacement on 24 Oct 13, very painful for 3 days and had numb knee which kept me in bed a day extra. I learned to use Zimmer, then crutches as soon as possible, then home after 4 days. To date, 14th November, I walk up and down stairs and have been shopping, using one crutch. I hardly needed painkillers as all old pain is gone, I just have slight wound healing pain.

Comment from: Almond joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 63 year old very active female. I have osteoarthritis and had both knees replaced in 2010 and 2011. I had my right hip replaced on February 13, 2014. I am very happy with all replacements. I did have home health for all replacements. I feel the key to a successful recovery is to follow all the rules your surgeon and physiotherapist require. I will see my surgeon on March 21 for a follow up. Home health has already released me, because progress has been excellent.

Comment from: HURTINGHIP, Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I required a hip replacement due to a fractured hip many years ago that developed osteoarthritis due to this trauma. I am 46 years old, but a "young" 46. It is a difficult decision to make to have the surgery. The more doctors you see for second, third, or fourth opinions, the more confused you will be. Whatever you do, DO NOT allow them to cut your muscles and find a doctor who does the direct anterior approach, which is one of several minimally invasive techniques. The muscle is spread, not cut. BEWARE of a doctor who tells you this is "bad" and can cause damage if you are a person of trim to average size. BEWARE of a doctor who speaks negatively against other surgeons and brags about his (or her) own abilities while putting down another surgeon. People who have the minimally invasive techniques are in far less pain, get back to work sooner, and do not end up using crutches or a walker for weeks and weeks like when the muscle is cut.

Comment from: lknapp1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a woman 67 years young, live alone, trim build, good health, very active lifestyle and yet suffered from osteoarthritis of the hip which required a total left hip replacement. Although I had severe pain when I put pressure on my leg directly after surgery, every day afterward was remarkably better. My doctor chose to use stitches which dissolve instead of staples, which I greatly appreciate. After 4 days in the hospital, I went to a rehab facility and was using both a walker and a cane. After 3 days in rehab, I was only using the cane. After 5 days in rehab, I was able to walk without the cane for short distances. After 11 days in rehab, I went home, did not require home nursing (remember, I live alone), am able to drive and signed up for outpatient rehab. All-in-all -- I'm extremely pleased with my results and look forward to getting back to an active lifestyle very shortly. My doctor said I'll be dancing again just 6 weeks after my surgery. I have 3 weeks to go.

Published: December 27

I am a 52 year old man with arthritis and had a total hip replacement. I am a big guy weighing about 280 lbs but always exercised and worked out. I was walking with the aid of a walker the night of the surgery and after a two night stay in the hospital was released on the third day. At that time I was walking with only a cane and on the fourth day post op I was driving and walking around my house without a cane. Of course I have surgical pain and am doing physical therapy exercises but the preoperational joint pain is gone. I am on 6.5 mg a day of Warfarin to achieve the necessary PTINR level of 2.0 in my blood. I think the sooner you get up and about, carefully, the better will be the recovery. From what I hear, those that heal in a more sedentary state tend to develop issues and have longer recovery. I should have had the surgery years ago and would tell anyone to get the surgery if it is affecting your quality of life.

Comment from: Wells Fargo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

As a retired person I play a lot of golf and for a year before my hip operation had suffered a lot of pain, both when playing golf and just walking. After referral to a consultant X-rays and a further consultation it transpires I have congenital hip dysplasia in both hips though the left hip shows as worse on the X-rays but gives me no trouble. Since the operation I have had no pain at all.

Comment from: lerf848, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had both hips replaced. The first one was nine years ago, and the other one was almost three months ago. I have been told that I can never take a tub bath again. The cause was shallow hip sockets that resulted in bone-on-bone pain.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?