Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: helpformom, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My mom kept having a hip that went out on her and she was in pain a lot. At first they thought it was her back, and after many injections of cortisone, they did x-ray and it showed that she had rheumatoid arthritis really bad and one side was longer than the other, and it was a mess! My mom was having these problems with both sides! So they decided to do the left first, and she was told she would be up and at it in no time.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

For years I walked with a limp caused by a very painful left knee. My doctor told me my knee joint had a lot of scar tissue (result of skiing accident) and that I was a good candidate for replacement but I was too young (62). Then, I began suffering from what I imagined was a pulled groin muscle I was sent to see a specialist who suggested I have hip replacement. This was 8 years ago. It turns out the knee pain was caused by the hip and after a few days of pain after hip replacement, I had physiotherapy for about a month and am now as active and pain free as I was as a much younger person. My right hip is now beginning to give me problems and I will probably see about having it replaced as well.

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was watering my flowers in the front yard when I stepped on something and it moved under my foot causing a hard fall. I fractured my right hip and pelvic resulting in total hip replacement.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was putting the cat out, after I picked him up off the bed I turned and fell over the doggie steps at the foot of the bed. Fell, bang, right on my hip and broke it! Ouch! I ended up with total hip replacement.

Comment from: 29hipreplacement, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was 29 when I had my hip replacement. I had Legg-Calve-Perthes disease as a child, stage 4. I tried to change jobs to keep working but it became impossible even to go grocery shopping. I was in pain after only a few steps, my hip clicked and hurt constantly.

Comment from: majestic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I"m 57 and had a total hip replacement (THR) on Dec 20, 2013 due to osteoarthritis. I was in pain for a couple of years and only wish I had done it sooner. I had physical therapy at home and 2 months later I had a little set back. Suddenly I couldn"t lift my leg to get in and out of bed and in the car. It was very upsetting since the recovery was doing so well. The doctor said I had bursitis in the trochanter joint. How could that happen since I had the THR! I used to have bursitis in the hip before the surgery. So I just accepted it and I went easy and used the leg lifting device again and within 4 weeks I was back to normal. I have no more groin pain or hip pain.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

Due to a very active sporting life in martial arts, my right hip was bone against bone, my body was traumatized after being kept waiting for surgery for 8 months, my body was burning up, and burning calories, I lost 8kgs in weight. I was all skin and bone, my friends thought I had cancer. When I finally got my total hip replacement, the operation was only 67minutes, I was only in hospital for 3 days, on crutches 3 weeks, and back at work after only 4 weeks. Five months later, I have just had my 2nd hip replacement, my left hip, with a new procedure, less muscle cutting, less swelling and quicker recovery. It is only week 2, and I am walking without crutches. This operation is not to be scared of, as long as you are in reasonable shape, before the operation. If you are like 65% of the population, obese, high blood pressure, diabetic, then you may well have problems, as surgeons and nurses do not have magic wands. You have to want to look after yourself, and if you make the effort then you will be fine.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?