Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Susan Hale, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

My favorite form of exercise involved a lot of hip and knee bending. My left hip to ankle began to ache about a year ago, but I thought it was just muscle pain. Mentioned it to my smart female general physician and she nailed it, sending me for an MRI. It showed significant cartilage loss on the left side. I have never been so surprised in my life; none of that in my family history. Pain is now unbearable and I cannot do much. I am booking a total hip replacement (THR) as we speak.

Comment from: happier, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

June 1, 2010, (62 years old) after 6 months of right hip pain - holding walls to walk until circulation was reestablished after sitting - physical therapy, and steroid shots, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Hospitalization was 6 days due to anemia, home health care was one week, outpatient physical therapy was 3 weeks, and back to work in 6 weeks. I was cleared to drive and walk without a cane at two weeks. It was great to walk without pain and do everything I wanted without considering hip issues. In 2013, I began having a different type of pain with the left leg, such as groin pain, bursitis and knee soreness. I went for medical guidance and x-rays showed mild to severe hip osteoarthritis. I began two separate rounds of physical therapy, chiropractor visits and leg massages, all weekly for over a year. By July 2014, I was dragging my left leg. X-rays were not indicating a change so an MRI was done and it indicated a labrum tear, tendonitis, bursitis and multiple bone spurs on the femur ball. Surgery was scheduled 3 months out. Surgery was excellent, hospital stay 60 hours, walker at home 2 days, cane through 4th week when out of house, in home therapy 2 weeks, driving at two weeks, and outpatient physical therapy to be 4 weeks. The thigh swelling, soreness and tightness are all post-surgical issues which with each week get better and are within 10% of normal. At three weeks, soreness/tenderness on outside of thigh is still present but in time will disappear. The hip stiffness after sitting and upon first three steps is frustrating but should also be gone by 2nd to 3rd month. The left hip issues were much more progressed than the right and thus are taking longer to heal. I am thrilled to sleep and wake up/move without the hip bone on bone pain. The right surgeon is the key as well. I worked with the same surgeon both times, who is associated with a sports medicine center. I definitely agree with others that doing pre-surgery muscle improvement and having a healthy weight as well as a positive mindset will aid in recovery. I am so looking forward to a full recovery and running with my grandsons, again.

Comment from: helpformom, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My mom kept having a hip that went out on her and she was in pain a lot. At first they thought it was her back, and after many injections of cortisone, they did x-ray and it showed that she had rheumatoid arthritis really bad and one side was longer than the other, and it was a mess! My mom was having these problems with both sides! So they decided to do the left first, and she was told she would be up and at it in no time.

Comment from: Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

For years I walked with a limp caused by a very painful left knee. My doctor told me my knee joint had a lot of scar tissue (result of skiing accident) and that I was a good candidate for replacement but I was too young (62). Then, I began suffering from what I imagined was a pulled groin muscle I was sent to see a specialist who suggested I have hip replacement. This was 8 years ago. It turns out the knee pain was caused by the hip and after a few days of pain after hip replacement, I had physiotherapy for about a month and am now as active and pain free as I was as a much younger person. My right hip is now beginning to give me problems and I will probably see about having it replaced as well.

Comment from: maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I was watering my flowers in the front yard when I stepped on something and it moved under my foot causing a hard fall. I fractured my right hip and pelvic resulting in total hip replacement.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?