Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis

What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?

Comment from: catmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 74 year old retired woman who was very active until I began to have a lot of pain in my legs. Exercise and medication helped for several months, and then walking and standing became so difficult I had a total hip replacement in my right leg this summer. It was a bone-on-bone situation. The first few weeks were difficult because of exhaustion, limits to mobility, little help at home, poor appetite, etc. The hospital made sure I had adequate pain medications at the beginning. My progress, however, was very good. When the doctor stopped the addictive medication, I was actually pain free anyway except for occasional night pain in both legs which the doctor said is normal at this stage. It has been 9 weeks since the surgery, and I have been swimming and driving for three weeks. Now the only day time pain is in the left leg for which will have surgery next year. I have done physical therapy exercises and I walk regularly. Even with only one leg fully okay, my daughter says I look and act like a new person.

Comment from: Freyelectricjrm, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had left hip replaced on 9/12/14. I'm three weeks out and getting better each day. Exercises are the key three times a day every day. I'm still using a walker to get around but at 6'3' and 260 it's better to be safe. I will start using cane only next week and hopefully start using a stationary bike soon. I have no severe pain but definitely overall aches and pain. I'm getting right hip done on 12/1/14 and will go through all of this again. I wonder if it will be worth it in the end, to have mobility and be pain free.

Comment from: Ph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had two hip replacements, 1 two years ago, and the second one last January. I also broke my femur bone after my hip operation. It"s been a long rough road. I"m still not walking by myself 100%. I still walk with 1 crouch, because my balance is not good. For the past two months when I would bend over, something would pop out, I could feel it as well as hearing. Some of them knock me to my knees and pain is awful, it"s only get worse. I went and saw the doctor that did the operation. He said nothing is wrong I disagree. When I walk I feel something moving. At this point I don"t know what to do, or where to go for some answers. For me this is not normal.

Comment from: Coondog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 55 year old male. I had a right total hip replacement on Oct 28th 2013. It has been 10 weeks and I have some groin pain and pain just above my knee. I also suffer from degenerative disc disease and have foraminal stenosis at L4, L5. I advised the physical therapist about my back and told them of my limitation and gave them the written MRI report on my back. I was switched to another staff member and asked to do leg lifts while lying on my stomach. They also had me do the bungee exercises and leg presses. I am unable to return to physical therapy right now. I had been in pain management for 8 years because of my back. I had the hip surgery and returned to my pain management doctor. I told him I was having back problems after stopping his prescription medicines. I asked him to review the new MRI of my lumbar. He said "your back is alright". I am totally frustrated with the mismanagement of my pain.

Comment from: gsurmanek, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a total left hip replacement surgery in January 2015 and it went very well. It was very painful though. I couldn't wait to sleep on my side again, but after one month I did! Now after 5 months I've started to notice twinges of pain on the right hip and have had severe backache pain like I had with the right hip. I am just wondering when it is a good time to have the right hip surgery done.

Comment from: gds3017, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I have had four hip surgeries, total hip replacements, and now my right hip is giving me a lot of pain in the groin area. Every time I step down on my right foot the pain is very bad. I think I may need another hip surgery.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.