Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis

What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?

Comment from: catmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 74 year old retired woman who was very active until I began to have a lot of pain in my legs. Exercise and medication helped for several months, and then walking and standing became so difficult I had a total hip replacement in my right leg this summer. It was a bone-on-bone situation. The first few weeks were difficult because of exhaustion, limits to mobility, little help at home, poor appetite, etc. The hospital made sure I had adequate pain medications at the beginning. My progress, however, was very good. When the doctor stopped the addictive medication, I was actually pain free anyway except for occasional night pain in both legs which the doctor said is normal at this stage. It has been 9 weeks since the surgery, and I have been swimming and driving for three weeks. Now the only day time pain is in the left leg for which will have surgery next year. I have done physical therapy exercises and I walk regularly. Even with only one leg fully okay, my daughter says I look and act like a new person.

Comment from: Ph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had two hip replacements, 1 two years ago, and the second one last January. I also broke my femur bone after my hip operation. It"s been a long rough road. I"m still not walking by myself 100%. I still walk with 1 crouch, because my balance is not good. For the past two months when I would bend over, something would pop out, I could feel it as well as hearing. Some of them knock me to my knees and pain is awful, it"s only get worse. I went and saw the doctor that did the operation. He said nothing is wrong I disagree. When I walk I feel something moving. At this point I don"t know what to do, or where to go for some answers. For me this is not normal.

Comment from: Coondog, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 55 year old male. I had a right total hip replacement on Oct 28th 2013. It has been 10 weeks and I have some groin pain and pain just above my knee. I also suffer from degenerative disc disease and have foraminal stenosis at L4, L5. I advised the physical therapist about my back and told them of my limitation and gave them the written MRI report on my back. I was switched to another staff member and asked to do leg lifts while lying on my stomach. They also had me do the bungee exercises and leg presses. I am unable to return to physical therapy right now. I had been in pain management for 8 years because of my back. I had the hip surgery and returned to my pain management doctor. I told him I was having back problems after stopping his prescription medicines. I asked him to review the new MRI of my lumbar. He said "your back is alright". I am totally frustrated with the mismanagement of my pain.

Comment from: bcbpeb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My anterior right hip replacement was done on 7-10-13. Things have been great until recently - now it feels like the hip is slipping badly when I bend over. It doesn't hurt badly - just aches from the hip to the knee but is highly disconcerting. I am overweight but have not been told that it would impact recovery. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment from: kathryn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a total hip replacement after I fell and broke my hip 2 months ago. There is hardly any pain, and I can walk quite freely around the house without a crutch, though still use it for longer walks. I am back at work - teaching secondary school - and have been for three weeks. The worst part of my recovery was the exhaustion, difficulty in concentrating, difficulty in sleeping and generally struggling with not being strong and active like I was.

Comment from: Nonnieof3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my left hip replaced last year. It took 8 months to fully recover, but now I'm doing well. I had my right hip replaced this year. I still use a walker and sometimes a cane. I have a great deal of pain when I put my weight on my right leg. It is excruciating. It starts in the hip and radiates down my leg, mostly on the outside and even below my knee. I don't know what to do. I'm so afraid that it will never get any better.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.