Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis

What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?

Comment from: bcbpeb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My anterior right hip replacement was done on 7-10-13. Things have been great until recently - now it feels like the hip is slipping badly when I bend over. It doesn't hurt badly - just aches from the hip to the knee but is highly disconcerting. I am overweight but have not been told that it would impact recovery. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment from: kathryn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had a total hip replacement after I fell and broke my hip 2 months ago. There is hardly any pain, and I can walk quite freely around the house without a crutch, though still use it for longer walks. I am back at work - teaching secondary school - and have been for three weeks. The worst part of my recovery was the exhaustion, difficulty in concentrating, difficulty in sleeping and generally struggling with not being strong and active like I was.

Comment from: Nonnieof3, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my left hip replaced last year. It took 8 months to fully recover, but now I'm doing well. I had my right hip replaced this year. I still use a walker and sometimes a cane. I have a great deal of pain when I put my weight on my right leg. It is excruciating. It starts in the hip and radiates down my leg, mostly on the outside and even below my knee. I don't know what to do. I'm so afraid that it will never get any better.

Comment from: Polly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a left total hip replacement and as soon as I got back to the ward my foot was very swollen. The doctor said I had some nerve damage and I would recover in a few weeks. It's now 18 weeks since my surgery and I still have foot pain and walk with a cane. I am discouraged. I was very active before my surgery.

Comment from: Helen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had right total hip replacement in February of 2013. I was back in the pool in seven weeks and also driving. I had very little pain, except some groin pain a few weeks ago, but since I have deterioration in my lower back, I thought that may be causing it, so I have been using heat every day and it has gone away. My hip hasn't given me any trouble, except the incision is still sore to the touch. It doesn't hurt when walking, only when touching.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.