Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis

What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?

Comment from: Polly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a left total hip replacement and as soon as I got back to the ward my foot was very swollen. The doctor said I had some nerve damage and I would recover in a few weeks. It's now 18 weeks since my surgery and I still have foot pain and walk with a cane. I am discouraged. I was very active before my surgery.

Comment from: Helen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had right total hip replacement in February of 2013. I was back in the pool in seven weeks and also driving. I had very little pain, except some groin pain a few weeks ago, but since I have deterioration in my lower back, I thought that may be causing it, so I have been using heat every day and it has gone away. My hip hasn't given me any trouble, except the incision is still sore to the touch. It doesn't hurt when walking, only when touching.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.