Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: krashen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had my total hip replacement (THR) last January and I am happy to return to my work again. I had THR because of femoral neck fracture. At first I hesitated to have the operation because I was young but now I am enjoying normal activity after 1 year of walking with aid. THR is one of the most successful operations, just choose the best doctor in your place and ask for the best material that lasts.

Comment from: dinky111, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had total hip replacement in November. I have had severe pain in hip/groin area when I move a certain way. The doctor took x-ray and says all looks perfect. He does not know why I am having pain. I had a shot in the area 2 weeks ago and no change. It doesn"t hurt to walk, just when I move my leg a certain way. I can"t live like this and don"t know what to do next!

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had total hip replacement (THR) of left hip in March this year. I was in hospital for 2 days without any problems. The relief of being able to move without that horrible pre-operation pain was fantastic. I was on 2 crutches for a few days, then 1, then after 2 weeks none. Sure I walked slowly and very carefully, but can get about pretty well now after 8 weeks. Well worth the procedure, although my left leg is now longer than right! My wife still has to put on my left sock though.

Comment from: Lee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a total hip replacement (THR) on the right, on 24 March (now 4 weeks). I am walking without a crutch now and diligently doing my exercises. My partner now has to remind me to take pain medications as I"m in much less pain than prior to the surgery. Five days ago I travelled from on holiday - 2 flights and a total of 10 hours flying. I made sure I got up at least once an hour on the flights. All went well and apart from needing regular rest a couple of times each day I am mostly able to participate in the holiday activities. This is all despite 2 subluxations (hip "popping" out without actually dislocating) twice on day 3 (the day I came home from hospital). I cannot emphasize enough the need to be careful and take care not to overdo it! It was a very timely lesson for me in patience.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total hip replacement (THR) almost 5 years ago and it has been perfect. I spent 5 nights in hospital, my rehabilitation was walking with crutches and after a month using the hydrotherapy pool in town. I am about to have my second hip replaced, am so sick of the pain and unable to do the things I used to do.

Comment from: Derek, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had total hip replacement on August 14, 2013. I was in hospital for 4 days, 5 days later I had a dislocation followed with 3 more. I was in a brace for 4 months, and out of the brace early January. I have fingers crossed; no more pop outs, but I am still having swelling of the leg, but very little pain. I am using one stick, and hoping for full recovery. Hope this posting will help some other pop out victims.

Comment from: mjdom, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I'm 49, I"ve had avascular necrosis for 13 years. I have 2 biometric fake hips, one of which dislocated 3 times and had to be replaced; if you never had a hip dislocate hope that you don"t. Otherwise it's an easy operation. They have you out of there in a few days.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a total hip replacement on my left leg, now the pain is more from the surgery rather than the hip itself. I am healing quite well, but my main concern is that my left leg seems to be a bit longer then my right, it"s been 2 weeks after surgery. And I wonder is that normal and will it get better.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?