Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a hip replacement (right hip) 7 weeks ago, and was up and about the next day, walking with a frame for a couple of days, then on two sticks, down to one. I don't use the stick unless I have to, but take it out with me when I go for walks. I have been doing my exercises but pushed the limit to see how much I could do and pulled a muscle, so it feels I am back to square one again. I have had to stop the exercises for a while. I think I will do what I am told to do in future and not what I think is best.

Comment from: Suzanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I'm 77 years young and had a total hip replacement 40 years ago due to osteomyelitis of the femur when I was a year old. It was revolutionary to have a hip replacement so young, but it was done by an amazing doctor. It has lasted all these years because I took very good care of it, never climbing stairs, never jumping, or doing impact aerobics. However, after a strenuous trip to southern Italy where I did climb stairs, and walked 5 miles a day, the hip has failed. Having a hip this old creates its own problems as the materials have caused bone damage. I am anticipating revision surgery very soon and waiting for a second opinion. Last year one of my terrific doctors replaced two knees with amazing results. I am nervous, but beginning pre-surgical exercises and supplements, and trying to get my nerves under control as I anticipate 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. As I live along this will be difficult.

Comment from: Dr Blabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a total hip replacement (right side) after suffering for nearly 5 years. Two years later, I am now 67. I loved to walk 3.6 miles every single day before, I couldn't anymore (only reason I finally had the surgery). The surgery was smooth, uneventful, and wonderful recovery. But I traded hip/leg/groin pain for back pain. The doctor said to walk through it. And I try. But I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without doubling over from my lower back cramping. One leg is longer than the other and I tried shoe wedges that did not help. I believe everything is out of whack and out of alignment and one thing that does help me is stretching. That nasty piriformis muscle can be annoying. But I do believe that is much of my problem. Occasionally, I feel nerve pain down my legs, so I may have some arthritis trouble included in the mix, but I was so hoping to be pain free after my surgery. I am, as long as I'm not walking. I took 1200 mg of Tylenol and a Norco yesterday before walking. It did nothing. Only relief is to sit down after 15 minutes. Oh, well.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had total hip replacement of the right hip in February 2016 because of arthritis. I was very athletic before the surgery, and had no weight problems. I have been in pain ever since. Even after four months of physical therapy, I am unable to do simple tasks without pain. Ask more questions before your surgery.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a total hip replacement a week ago and no one told me about all of the fluid retention. I already have a little incontinence but for 3 days after surgery I was wearing diapers and having accidents every half hour or so. It was terrible. I have to have other hip replaced in 5 weeks and not excited for short term so need to focus on long term and being able to walk without a walker.

Comment from: TET 1968, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

My hip has been a pain for 2 years. Yet being an amputee and in my wheelchair most of the time I wonder if it is worth the various risks and troubles I have been reading about in this forum including continued pain. I am grateful I have the resources and insurance for a total hip replacement.

Comment from: Marcia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had left hip replaced last September. I played tennis 3 times a week prior to surgery and was in good shape. I walked the hall 3 hours after surgery, climbed a flight of stairs the following day and went home. I took pain pills for one week and was walking in a week without walker and never used a cane. I waited 6 weeks to go back to tennis. I still have a slight leg length discrepancy despite working out 2 times a week in gym and in pool 2 times a week. I have no pain and am told the legs will be even length eventually. Hips are even!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?