Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Forelli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My left hip was replaced exactly 2 years ago, in 2014. I did a lot of pre-habilitation at the gym to strengthen glute muscles. After the surgery I had very little pain. In 1 week I went back to the gym. In 4 months I went back to Middle Eastern dance classes. In 1 year I was able to perform on stage again and begin teaching dance again. After a while you don't even remember you have a new hip; for example I was going into a courthouse and neither I nor security could figure out why the beepers kept going off. After a few minutes my friend said 'oh yeah, it's your hip!'

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had direct approach total hip replacement on 5/3/16. Everything went great and I was up walking that day. After 2 days in the joint center I was discharged home. I had in-home therapy which wasn't bad. Today I went back for my 6 weeks checkup and the doctor discharged me, and said I may be only 6 weeks post operation but I was at the 3 month level. I now can drive and only use the cane for safety on long walks. I was also released from therapy. I know if I had my surgery the old cut down the back of leg way I would not be this far ahead. If you are told you need hip replacement, ask about the anterior direct approach.

Comment from: runboi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a total hip replacement on the right side in 2012 and it failed. I had a revision surgery in 2013 and ever since then I have been having really bad pain in the joint area. Today I still have these pains and it is sometimes impossible to walk and sometimes I need the use of a cane. I keep going back to the doctor and he reassures me that everything is fine.

Comment from: gardenlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a total hip replacement a month ago and am still having trouble with my gait, and an awful ankle, knee and low back pain. I can get around the house and do but do not feel safe driving. The knee, sciatic pain and low back pain are the worst. I have not taken pain medicines and am walking about 1 mile a day now. I do not use a cane in the house but when I am out, I use a crutch if needed. I wonder if anyone else had such troubles with their other body parts adapting to the new hip.

Comment from: Marge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had total left hip replacement last May 2015. The surgery went well and I was very pleased until the hip and back became very stiff and sore when walking. My leg also bothers me most days. I did my exercises, went for physiotherapy, and everything I was supposed to do. If and when I go to the chiropractor it is great but only lasts a day or two and back to the stiffness again. Some tell me this is normal but I find that hard to believe. I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Comment from: Dina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I'm having pretty much the same experience with total hip replacement that some of you are having. My doctor is sending me for the fluoroscopic injections. I see it didn't work for you. You are allowed 3. Hope all goes well for you. I so feel your pain.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Exactly one month ago I had a left hip replacement via the anterior method. I have had absolutely no pain at all, no need for medication except aspirin for a blood thinner, vitamin C, multi vitamins and an anti-inflammatory tablet once a day. I am an 80 year old female and have been doing physical conditioning with a trainer to prepare for the surgery for several months before surgery. While I think my experience with no pain may be rare I do think the anterior method does increase the chance of less pain. I have physiotherapy 3 times a week now, I have been driving for some time now and can totally take care of myself and home. I think the key to a good recovery is probably to get help doing the proper exercises to strengthen yourself ahead of time. I was told in the hospital they never see results like mine unless a person has done physical therapy before surgery and then they always see really good recovery. I can walk well without a cane or walker but I am being very careful to maintain a good gait while walking so use a cane if I feel fatigue setting in or if I start limping.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?