Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: kauaistyle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my anterior hip replacement 9 days ago. A very experienced competent doctor here who performs the latest techniques on professional athletes, and done thousands to date. I was 'told' I would be up the first day, minimal pain, etc., untrue in my case. The doctor explained he did me up pretty good to ensure it all was in place, muscle retraction (and not cutting tendons like the old days) is similar to hard core blunt trauma. I am still on crutches today, small incremental strengthening doing my passive physiotherapy every other hour. I refused any kind of narcotic and took high dose ibuprofen, then aspirin during the day. The pain is finally manageable and I sleep decently. Still I have deep general pain in thigh and outside calf. I walk the block once a day, ice some, and TENS unit for stimulation helps too. I am hoping this keeps getting better!

Comment from: Glenda, Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had total hip replacement in March of 2016 and had little trouble with recovery and went back to work in five weeks. I had the other hip replaced five weeks ago and am in terrible pain all the time, can't sleep at night, etc. The front of my leg from above my knee to below is numb and the incision area is also numb along with being very tender. I seem to be more flexible this time and can climb stairs and do some other things better than last time, the pain is much, much worse. I had physical therapy from four days after surgery for three times a week for three weeks. When I sit for a while I am so stiff and sore when I stand and I walk with a noticeable limp. My six week visit is next week and I am hoping he can solve what's wrong. I definitely do not want to have this to look forward to for the rest of my life.

Comment from: isolte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had total hip replacement (THR) operation 1 year and two months ago to treat narcosis of the bone, and well, everything in the hip! I am a dancer, and I was dancing on the leg like that for a long time. I eventually used a wheelchair. It took a long time to recover, and I only came off crutches 1 month ago! But everything is good with my operated leg (right leg). I have some pain in my groin on my opposite leg (my left leg) which is worrying. I have looked over my x-rays, and I see no wear and tear on the hip joint of my non-operated leg. I have thought that maybe it is an iliopsoas strain. I had some burning pain in my lower back region which is now thankfully gone. I was asked to walk too soon after my operation which the osteopathic team said damaged the iliopsoas. But, I don't know what is happening with the opposite hip. The groin is tight and it hurts to rotate, though doesn't hurt to walk.

Comment from: Tailwind, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had my hip replaced Tuesday before Christmas 2016. I was on my feet that evening. My physiotherapist did his evaluation and the next morning I was walking around the hospital without walker or cane. I was released at noon. The surgeon and surgery were excellent. One of the things that helped the most in my opinion was getting the list of rehabilitation exercises and starting those 3 months before the surgery.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a ceramic hip inserted 10 years ago. It has been fantastic. I took my time with rehabilitation, followed the program to a tee and swam as soon as I could. I am booked to have my other hip replaced and I plan to follow the same program, not pushing too hard too soon.

Comment from: meldahl56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I would like to know how fast other people are recovering after having hip replacement through buttocks. I had surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm still in a lot of pain. I am using a cane instead of the walker and would like to know if anyone else is. Maybe I'm in too big a hurry.

Comment from: steven, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I had anterior hip replacement done, and it is the only way to go. Just do one at a time because it is easier to get around. I was driving one week later, with automatic and little pain, I can't wait do get the other one done. My advice is get in the best shape you can before the surgery.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?