Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: artmom57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had total hip replacement on June 1, 2015. I had spinal anesthesia, no catheter, no drain, no staples, and no visible sutures. I was out of bed a couple of hours after surgery. I had the anterior approach. My surgery was on Monday and I went home Wednesday. I felt great from the moment I woke up in the operation room. I had physiotherapy the day after surgery to learn stairs and getting into the car. I used the walker for a few days and went to the cane one week post-operation. I did not need to take prescription pain medications and resumed driving at two weeks. I rode a bike at three weeks and went for a 12 mile ride at four weeks. I could go on and on as I increased my activity level. I continue to feel great and have had the best sleep in more than five years. I was scared going into this but I am thrilled with the results.

Comment from: SLynne1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a total hip replacement last Tuesday and was home on Wednesday. I have been using a walker to get around the house. My pain level is a little worse today and I have no idea of how I 'should' feel. I am on painkillers every 5 hours and have been going up and down the stairs and doing my exercises. I wonder if I am doing too much.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just wanted to write to tell folks that I had two total hip replacements, one on the right and one on the left; one last summer and one fourteen years ago. I am 56. For the first replacement, I had almost no pain and was on a bike in three weeks. Quite remarkable. For the second replacement, I had tremendous pain for a month and a half. I took a lot of pain killers, suffered from constant migraines (reaction to the anesthesia I think) and my legs were of uneven lengths. I was very depressed and discouraged. I guess I am writing to give people hope and also to know that two experiences can be so different. I am fine now, five months later. I have no arthritic pain and the only thing that hurts still is the scar area if I ride in a car for too long. My walk looks normal though there is still a tiny difference which I am hoping will correct. My message is to have faith that you will heal and work at it. I did lots of physical therapy which I think is really important. Good luck to you all. Best wishes for speedy recoveries.

Comment from: Dialysis RN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had bilateral hip replacements on August 12, 2015. I am on week 4 of recovery. I had hip dysplasia and had Ganz osteotomies 8 years ago to put off replacements due to my younger age of 40. The post-surgical pain was worse than I had expected and my hemoglobin dropped to 7 from 13, requiring 3 blood transfusions. I am still having pain in my left hip and femur, making physical therapy difficult. I am a nurse of 20 years and am on my feet a good part of my 12 hour shifts so I'm feeling discouraged and hoping I won't need another surgery to fix this pain. I have another follow- up appointment in 2 weeks and will have an x-ray. I'm walking with a cane and get along pretty well. Leg lengths feel equal. I am just surprised that I am not pain free as I have read so many posts of patients being back to work after only 6 weeks. I'm trying to be strong and continue with my physiotherapy but my optimism is being challenged.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a total hip replacement (anterior method) 2 months ago. Orthopedist said that I can drive now and I am doing so around neighborhood. I still have lots of pain in groin area and on side (ball and socket area). Also, the operated leg is longer than the other, and I am limping. Orthopedist said my legs will even out in time as things adjust.

Comment from: Judyi, Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I wonder why we get big dents in our thigh after a total hip replacement surgery.

Comment from: River, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had anterior hip replacement 8 months ago. The surgeon made my leg 1.5 inches too long and broke my femur and put cables on. I have had severe nerve pain and I cannot get my tendons and muscles to stretch. I had a second hip replacement on other leg a couple months ago with a new surgeon to even out leg lengths. That surgery was easy. Now the screw or something from the cable is poking into the rear of my leg so need an exploratory surgery. Second surgeon did a really good job.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?