Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total hip replacement (THR) almost 5 years ago and it has been perfect. I spent 5 nights in hospital, my rehabilitation was walking with crutches and after a month using the hydrotherapy pool in town. I am about to have my second hip replaced, am so sick of the pain and unable to do the things I used to do.

Comment from: Trey C., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I"m a 38 year old male. I had a total right hip replacement 2 weeks ago. The pain started for me a year ago. I was very serious and heavy into the gym. I was going pretty heavy on legs. What I thought was a pulled groin, turned out to be the ball part of the hip socket crumbling. It got to a point where I could hardly walk. I saw a specialist for the 3rd time. X-ray showed the damage, very nasty X-ray. I had the surgery 3 weeks after. I started walking with a walker the very next day. I"m two weeks out now and am very concerned with the swelling I still have. It seems the new hip sits out further than my original one. When looking in the mirror, it just looks abnormal from my left one. I know I still have some more healing to do.

Comment from: Basketgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

On March 10, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Everything was great and I was getting around wonderful. Eleven days later my right hip dislocated, it was the most horrible pain. I went to the hospital and the doctor put it back in place, I spent the night and went home. The very next evening, the same hip dislocated again and I had then to repeat the same thing. My doctor then decided to take me back in and revise the original THR, it"s been three weeks today and I am at the very beginning again. Very discouraged at this point, the pain from the surgeries and the dislocations have been trying! The burning pain in my thigh is so intense! Hopefully, this will I improve!

Comment from: BrettJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I"m a 34 year old male. I had a total left hip replacement a week ago after almost five years of unbearable pain. Only now do I realize how much pain I was in. I was discharged after two days and the difference is indescribable. The pain is gone! Even the pain around the operative site is minimal. I had a cementless implant via the AMIS method and am thankful to be able to say that I was in the hands of a truly skilled surgeon. If you are considering getting a THR my advice is to do your homework and choose your surgeon carefully!

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

After 3 years of pain that I thought was from my (all messed up) back, I had a total right hip surgery in the beginning of 2014. It took a few weeks for the new hip to settle down, but has felt and worked flawlessly since. My right leg is (as near as my therapist can tell) about 3/8" longer than my original (left). I level out with a small pad in my left shoe. My old hip has caused most of my pain since the surgery, but checks out fine when x-rayed. I was told that a lot of this is because I put the surgery off too long. This happened to someone else I know of whose original hip finally straightened out and now is fine. I used a walker about 10 days, then a cane for a few weeks after that. I tried to hit golf balls 7 weeks after surgery. The new hip is great, old hip made it way too painful to play. I followed my chiropractor's advice and worked with a personal trainer for about five weeks prior to surgery. I wish that I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Suzy2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a total hip replacement on 3/3/14. I did not wait until the pain was unbearable, but I could no longer walk for exercise. I have osteoarthritis, and at 63 years of age I didn"t want to stop living a mobile life. It has been 5 weeks and I feel great. I"m still using a walker (until 6 weeks) just to be on the safe side. Your article was spot on for information and help in deciding to have the surgery.

Comment from: maxxcy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on March 5th 2014. The next day I walked to the toilet by myself, there was no hip pain but my knee hurt. I stayed in hospital for 4 days. I went to rehabilitation and stayed 3 1/2 week. I drove on the third week - one time. I can walk with a cane and walker. The pain I had, it took me 1/2 hour to walk 25 feet, crying and depressed. So far my legs seem even, if not later. After I'm well, it beats that pain. Three months of knife pain; thank goodness it"s over. Good Luck.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?