Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: isolte, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I had total hip replacement (THR) operation 1 year and two months ago to treat narcosis of the bone, and well, everything in the hip! I am a dancer, and I was dancing on the leg like that for a long time. I eventually used a wheelchair. It took a long time to recover, and I only came off crutches 1 month ago! But everything is good with my operated leg (right leg). I have some pain in my groin on my opposite leg (my left leg) which is worrying. I have looked over my x-rays, and I see no wear and tear on the hip joint of my non-operated leg. I have thought that maybe it is an iliopsoas strain. I had some burning pain in my lower back region which is now thankfully gone. I was asked to walk too soon after my operation which the osteopathic team said damaged the iliopsoas. But, I don't know what is happening with the opposite hip. The groin is tight and it hurts to rotate, though doesn't hurt to walk.

Comment from: Tailwind, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had my hip replaced Tuesday before Christmas 2016. I was on my feet that evening. My physiotherapist did his evaluation and the next morning I was walking around the hospital without walker or cane. I was released at noon. The surgeon and surgery were excellent. One of the things that helped the most in my opinion was getting the list of rehabilitation exercises and starting those 3 months before the surgery.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a ceramic hip inserted 10 years ago. It has been fantastic. I took my time with rehabilitation, followed the program to a tee and swam as soon as I could. I am booked to have my other hip replaced and I plan to follow the same program, not pushing too hard too soon.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had total hip replacement surgery 8 weeks ago. The surgery went great, (best surgeon ever), and on the day of the surgery I was up and walking, with a walker of course. Within two weeks after the surgery I was walking with a cane; with in-home physiotherapy may I add. I work hard with my physical therapy twice a week. I am now walking freely without any devices. I am back at work but I have a desk job so I get up every hour to do my exercises. I would say this is the best decision I have ever made. I have zero pain and I do what my physical therapist tells me to do.

Comment from: Jtm, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had total hip replacement surgery 5 weeks ago and never used a walker or cane. I work hard on my physical therapy exercises for I am still experiencing muscle pain and spasms. I can work around them during the day but the nights are rough for the pain wakes you up. I did not experience instant pain relief after surgery but I am hopeful that after a few more weeks the pain will subside.

Comment from: steven, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I had anterior hip replacement done, and it is the only way to go. Just do one at a time because it is easier to get around. I was driving one week later, with automatic and little pain, I can't wait do get the other one done. My advice is get in the best shape you can before the surgery.

Comment from: francine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I had anterior approach total hip replacement surgery on Friday 3 days ago and I am constipated. I don't have any pain or anything but I would like to know what others have experienced after hip replacement surgery and how to correct the constipation. I have taken Colace from the Wednesday before and still currently taking Colace.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a hip replacement (right hip) 7 weeks ago, and was up and about the next day, walking with a frame for a couple of days, then on two sticks, down to one. I don't use the stick unless I have to, but take it out with me when I go for walks. I have been doing my exercises but pushed the limit to see how much I could do and pulled a muscle, so it feels I am back to square one again. I have had to stop the exercises for a while. I think I will do what I am told to do in future and not what I think is best.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?