Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Dialysis RN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had bilateral hip replacements on August 12, 2015. I am on week 4 of recovery. I had hip dysplasia and had Ganz osteotomies 8 years ago to put off replacements due to my younger age of 40. The post-surgical pain was worse than I had expected and my hemoglobin dropped to 7 from 13, requiring 3 blood transfusions. I am still having pain in my left hip and femur, making physical therapy difficult. I am a nurse of 20 years and am on my feet a good part of my 12 hour shifts so I'm feeling discouraged and hoping I won't need another surgery to fix this pain. I have another follow- up appointment in 2 weeks and will have an x-ray. I'm walking with a cane and get along pretty well. Leg lengths feel equal. I am just surprised that I am not pain free as I have read so many posts of patients being back to work after only 6 weeks. I'm trying to be strong and continue with my physiotherapy but my optimism is being challenged.

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a total hip replacement (anterior method) 2 months ago. Orthopedist said that I can drive now and I am doing so around neighborhood. I still have lots of pain in groin area and on side (ball and socket area). Also, the operated leg is longer than the other, and I am limping. Orthopedist said my legs will even out in time as things adjust.

Comment from: River, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had anterior hip replacement 8 months ago. The surgeon made my leg 1.5 inches too long and broke my femur and put cables on. I have had severe nerve pain and I cannot get my tendons and muscles to stretch. I had a second hip replacement on other leg a couple months ago with a new surgeon to even out leg lengths. That surgery was easy. Now the screw or something from the cable is poking into the rear of my leg so need an exploratory surgery. Second surgeon did a really good job.

Comment from: joyce, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had a total hip replacement in 2002. I went from having terrible pain to pain free. I was on crutches for about a month, followed my doctor's instructions, always keeping the new hip below the other leg. The best decision I ever made. I also have had two knee replacements and a total shoulder replacement. I have a very supportive husband and required very little pain medication. I also have a great attitude and follow my doctor's instructions. Best move I ever made and I do not have any pain anymore.

Comment from: hip, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I am 43, and had bilateral hip replacement. I suffer from AVN (avascular necrosis), and I had a left hip replaced after 2 years. After this I had a hip revision on the left, which then popped 4 times in May 2014. Then screws were put in, and it popped right though. This was June, and I had another revision on the same hip in June 2014. This didn't work, then a claw was put around the replacement. This is still 2014, during this time I have caught septicemia twice in hospital, and had a clot. I had another operation on the same hip in April 2015, to remove the replacement and flush out what doctors call fluid. I then had the fevers, and my body hit out in a rash, and doesn't stop itching. I have been back to the surgeon, and he tells me there is nothing wrong, yet I walk with a crab like motion and my back started hurting. So I went to a back doctor who sent me to a nuclear physician for a bone x-ray. On the bone x-ray they picked up there was some sort of activity in the bone around the prosthetic, but my surgeon still says there's nothing wrong with the hip replacement mechanically. The surgeon tells me to go out and work as normal, but I can't perform my work as I am living on tablets and in constant pain. The leg is sore and feels warm to the touch.

Comment from: Bessan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had my total hip replacement (THR) on July 10. I am 2 weeks post-operation. Many years ago a physiotherapist diagnosed that my right leg was shorter. Gradually my hip got stiffer and pain started last year and it was worse at night. I had a lot of physiotherapy treatment which helped with the stiffness. Eventually the pain took over, not helped by painkillers. I have recovered very well and today for the first day I have not taken painkillers. I walk with two crutches. I still rest, lying down a couple of times/day to make the swelling go down. I am diligently doing my exercises, the lying down ones I found very difficult and painful but the standing up ones I do hourly. It just takes a couple of minutes. I have been back for my 10 day post-operation physiotherapy treatment and was told I have very good gluteus muscle strength and I have been discharged. The frequent exercises have paid off. I emphasize the need to follow the dos and the don'ts for 6 weeks after your operation to allow the cut soft tissues to heal. When I lie on my back, I have one pillow on the outside of my foot and one pillow between my legs to avoid that the foot turns in my sleep. Some alternative tips are, I live in an old house, the stairs are very steep and the step is very short. Scary, so I walk backwards down. I wear an apron with a pocket and I have a thermos travel mug with a lid, in the pouch. I could have walked much more but my thumbs got very sore from the crutches so I got some padded Oarsome Potential rowers grips. On my bedside table I have a beaker with a spout so I don't half sit up and twist to drink. I also have a Vicks nasal inhaler because sleeping on my back makes me breathe through my mouth and very dry in the mouth.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?