Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Trey C., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I"m a 38 year old male. I had a total right hip replacement 2 weeks ago. The pain started for me a year ago. I was very serious and heavy into the gym. I was going pretty heavy on legs. What I thought was a pulled groin, turned out to be the ball part of the hip socket crumbling. It got to a point where I could hardly walk. I saw a specialist for the 3rd time. X-ray showed the damage, very nasty X-ray. I had the surgery 3 weeks after. I started walking with a walker the very next day. I"m two weeks out now and am very concerned with the swelling I still have. It seems the new hip sits out further than my original one. When looking in the mirror, it just looks abnormal from my left one. I know I still have some more healing to do.

Comment from: Basketgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

On March 10, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Everything was great and I was getting around wonderful. Eleven days later my right hip dislocated, it was the most horrible pain. I went to the hospital and the doctor put it back in place, I spent the night and went home. The very next evening, the same hip dislocated again and I had then to repeat the same thing. My doctor then decided to take me back in and revise the original THR, it"s been three weeks today and I am at the very beginning again. Very discouraged at this point, the pain from the surgeries and the dislocations have been trying! The burning pain in my thigh is so intense! Hopefully, this will I improve!

Comment from: BrettJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I"m a 34 year old male. I had a total left hip replacement a week ago after almost five years of unbearable pain. Only now do I realize how much pain I was in. I was discharged after two days and the difference is indescribable. The pain is gone! Even the pain around the operative site is minimal. I had a cementless implant via the AMIS method and am thankful to be able to say that I was in the hands of a truly skilled surgeon. If you are considering getting a THR my advice is to do your homework and choose your surgeon carefully!

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

After 3 years of pain that I thought was from my (all messed up) back, I had a total right hip surgery in the beginning of 2014. It took a few weeks for the new hip to settle down, but has felt and worked flawlessly since. My right leg is (as near as my therapist can tell) about 3/8" longer than my original (left). I level out with a small pad in my left shoe. My old hip has caused most of my pain since the surgery, but checks out fine when x-rayed. I was told that a lot of this is because I put the surgery off too long. This happened to someone else I know of whose original hip finally straightened out and now is fine. I used a walker about 10 days, then a cane for a few weeks after that. I tried to hit golf balls 7 weeks after surgery. The new hip is great, old hip made it way too painful to play. I followed my chiropractor's advice and worked with a personal trainer for about five weeks prior to surgery. I wish that I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

It"s now been 3 years since my total hip replacement. And I feel better than ever! I am a 54 year old male, active, and the replacement was the best thing I ever did. I wanted to share some experiences, maybe help others. 1. I do lift weights. I don"t lift too heavy, but I also don"t skimp. 2. I do not run. I do walk 3 to 4 miles every other day. I get cardio from stationary bike or fast weight workout. 3. I do yoga. 4. I do high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes. On the yoga and HIIT I avoid some things (e.g. any high impact in HIIT). 5. After my surgery and recovery I made big changes to my diet and now I carry 10% body fat. Carrying around less weight is a huge benefit and I feel zero stress on my hip. 6. I do play golf; I"m still lousy, but it"s a lot more enjoyable.

Comment from: Suzy2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a total hip replacement on 3/3/14. I did not wait until the pain was unbearable, but I could no longer walk for exercise. I have osteoarthritis, and at 63 years of age I didn"t want to stop living a mobile life. It has been 5 weeks and I feel great. I"m still using a walker (until 6 weeks) just to be on the safe side. Your article was spot on for information and help in deciding to have the surgery.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?