Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Julieanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I had a full hip replacement 14 weeks ago. I went home in 24 hours, working from home just 48 hours later despite having initially been overdosed with multiple drugs by a thoroughly incompetent nursing staff. I got myself off all pain medicines in less than ten days though the pain was worse than anything I'd ever encountered, including childbirth. As a part-time yoga instructor, I was anxious to get back to full mobility but this has not happened yet. Because I am not 'old' I was told that I manufacture swelling and inflammation that the elderly do not. Hence the reason most older patients tend to do better than younger patients. My flexibility is slowly returning though there are multiple yoga poses I still cannot do yet because they fully load the hip while balancing. This has been frustrating though after getting a severe case of bursitis from the surgery, I'm grateful that I no longer limp or need a cane. My surgeon was one of the best in the country and did a superb job but I was never fully made aware of just how painful and difficult recovery from this surgery truly is. Education is a must and expectations must be more realistically set so patients are better prepared for the duration and intensity of recovery. No matter what doctors say, this is a long term process and an extremely serious surgery, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment from: Ramona , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had an anterior approach total hip replacement on my right hip 4 1/2 week ago. While the pain I had before surgery is now gone, I have a list of other issues I did not have prior to the surgery. My entire right thigh and knee (but not the incision) are numb. I periodically get pain shooting through that area. I was forced to go home the day of the surgery even though I could barely function with a walker. I had terrible constipation from the medications and was back in the emergency room two days later. My doctor refused to refill my pain medicines and I was told I cannot take anything but Tylenol. Now that I am 4 weeks out, I am using a walker but now my left hip (the good one) is popping every time I take a step but the physiotherapist says there is nothing we can do. I just got to the recumbent bike. It is very discouraging to talk to people who have had the same surgery as me and older than me recovering with no issues and quickly. I have to return to work full time sitting without breaks for 4 plus hours before I can even drive since I work from home. I can say I am grateful the hip joint feels better but I almost would have rather kept the pain and pushed through it compared to the pain in other areas I have now.

Comment from: kauaistyle, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my anterior hip replacement 9 days ago. A very experienced competent doctor here who performs the latest techniques on professional athletes, and done thousands to date. I was 'told' I would be up the first day, minimal pain, etc., untrue in my case. The doctor explained he did me up pretty good to ensure it all was in place, muscle retraction (and not cutting tendons like the old days) is similar to hard core blunt trauma. I am still on crutches today, small incremental strengthening doing my passive physiotherapy every other hour. I refused any kind of narcotic and took high dose ibuprofen, then aspirin during the day. The pain is finally manageable and I sleep decently. Still I have deep general pain in thigh and outside calf. I walk the block once a day, ice some, and TENS unit for stimulation helps too. I am hoping this keeps getting better!

Comment from: Glenda, Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had total hip replacement in March of 2016 and had little trouble with recovery and went back to work in five weeks. I had the other hip replaced five weeks ago and am in terrible pain all the time, can't sleep at night, etc. The front of my leg from above my knee to below is numb and the incision area is also numb along with being very tender. I seem to be more flexible this time and can climb stairs and do some other things better than last time, the pain is much, much worse. I had physical therapy from four days after surgery for three times a week for three weeks. When I sit for a while I am so stiff and sore when I stand and I walk with a noticeable limp. My six week visit is next week and I am hoping he can solve what's wrong. I definitely do not want to have this to look forward to for the rest of my life.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?