Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Tailwind, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I had my hip replaced Tuesday before Christmas 2016. I was on my feet that evening. My physiotherapist did his evaluation and the next morning I was walking around the hospital without walker or cane. I was released at noon. The surgeon and surgery were excellent. One of the things that helped the most in my opinion was getting the list of rehabilitation exercises and starting those 3 months before the surgery.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I had a ceramic hip inserted 10 years ago. It has been fantastic. I took my time with rehabilitation, followed the program to a tee and swam as soon as I could. I am booked to have my other hip replaced and I plan to follow the same program, not pushing too hard too soon.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had total hip replacement surgery 8 weeks ago. The surgery went great, (best surgeon ever), and on the day of the surgery I was up and walking, with a walker of course. Within two weeks after the surgery I was walking with a cane; with in-home physiotherapy may I add. I work hard with my physical therapy twice a week. I am now walking freely without any devices. I am back at work but I have a desk job so I get up every hour to do my exercises. I would say this is the best decision I have ever made. I have zero pain and I do what my physical therapist tells me to do.

Comment from: Jtm, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I had total hip replacement surgery 5 weeks ago and never used a walker or cane. I work hard on my physical therapy exercises for I am still experiencing muscle pain and spasms. I can work around them during the day but the nights are rough for the pain wakes you up. I did not experience instant pain relief after surgery but I am hopeful that after a few more weeks the pain will subside.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a hip replacement (right hip) 7 weeks ago, and was up and about the next day, walking with a frame for a couple of days, then on two sticks, down to one. I don't use the stick unless I have to, but take it out with me when I go for walks. I have been doing my exercises but pushed the limit to see how much I could do and pulled a muscle, so it feels I am back to square one again. I have had to stop the exercises for a while. I think I will do what I am told to do in future and not what I think is best.

Comment from: Suzanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I'm 77 years young and had a total hip replacement 40 years ago due to osteomyelitis of the femur when I was a year old. It was revolutionary to have a hip replacement so young, but it was done by an amazing doctor. It has lasted all these years because I took very good care of it, never climbing stairs, never jumping, or doing impact aerobics. However, after a strenuous trip to southern Italy where I did climb stairs, and walked 5 miles a day, the hip has failed. Having a hip this old creates its own problems as the materials have caused bone damage. I am anticipating revision surgery very soon and waiting for a second opinion. Last year one of my terrific doctors replaced two knees with amazing results. I am nervous, but beginning pre-surgical exercises and supplements, and trying to get my nerves under control as I anticipate 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. As I live along this will be difficult.

Comment from: Dr Blabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a total hip replacement (right side) after suffering for nearly 5 years. Two years later, I am now 67. I loved to walk 3.6 miles every single day before, I couldn't anymore (only reason I finally had the surgery). The surgery was smooth, uneventful, and wonderful recovery. But I traded hip/leg/groin pain for back pain. The doctor said to walk through it. And I try. But I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without doubling over from my lower back cramping. One leg is longer than the other and I tried shoe wedges that did not help. I believe everything is out of whack and out of alignment and one thing that does help me is stretching. That nasty piriformis muscle can be annoying. But I do believe that is much of my problem. Occasionally, I feel nerve pain down my legs, so I may have some arthritis trouble included in the mix, but I was so hoping to be pain free after my surgery. I am, as long as I'm not walking. I took 1200 mg of Tylenol and a Norco yesterday before walking. It did nothing. Only relief is to sit down after 15 minutes. Oh, well.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?