Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: hoppity, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am just back from seeing a specialist, 18 months after total hip replacement. He can't find anything wrong, there is a piece of bone splintered away from the femur and still attached to muscle showing on x-ray, but he said it couldn't be repaired.

Comment from: David M, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on 26/1. I just walked 400 meters full stride pattern 4/1/15 (on sticks). My background, ex-pro-footballer. My advice, get your pre-operation exercises done and follow what your physiotherapist tells you to do post operation. Do all this and you will be pain free, I'm quiet amazed. I am due right THR later in the year, I can`t wait.

Comment from: kbrenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 47 years old. I had my first hip replaced in January 2014. I spent one night in hospital and went back to work in 2 weeks. In December I am going to have my right hip replaced. I have hip dysplasia. My experience was a great one! Pain free!

Comment from: MimiZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had my left hip replacement three years ago. I am now looking forward to my right hip replacement in 10 days. I know what to expect and can't wait to get rid of that gnawing pain once again. It took a while to diagnose the first hip. The pain was all in my back, so went through treatments, injections, acupuncture, etc. for that. Finally I had a stand up x-ray on my hip and it was discovered. This time it was a slow process of not being able to stretch my leg out, then the gnawing pain began full force. The x-ray confirmed the bone-on-bone arthritis. Just hereditary hip problems.

Comment from: Mohua, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had total hip replacement (THR) surgery 5 months ago and it caused avascular necrosis. Now I have joined my job and can walk but last week I felt pain in the non-operated leg in the knee, and after 3 days I felt pain in my groin joint. I am afraid what is going to happen!

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have had both hips replaced. The left in 2000 and the right 2004. The only problem I had with both replacements was muscle spasms. The 1st I did rehabilitation at home and the 2nd one I had Homecare rehab and the pool rehab.

Comment from: Rochelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am ten weeks out of surgery for total hip replacement (THR) on my right hip, due to avascular necrosis. I am fortunate to have wonderful physical therapists who have helped me immensely, but I continue to have serious pain trying to walk. I'm terribly frustrated and just want this whole experience behind me. I had little to no actual information about what the recovery would entail. My advice to you if you are about to have this surgery: Number one, you cannot be home on your own. Period. You will need long term help with literally everything. Next, you absolutely must begin therapy the minute you are able, and you need the best therapists your area has to offer. Healing the muscles back is a long, slow, painful process. I am not overweight and carefully monitor my diet, but even so I struggle to return to normal. I can't lie... this is very, very difficult and challenging. I try to stay focused on total healing, but it isn't easy. Yet my condition was so bad, I had no choice but to have this done. Prepare yourself mentally for what lies ahead, and know that you will need time to get past it. My husband had been my rock, and I hope you will have someone to help you, too.

Comment from: Patty-O, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had left hip replacement surgery in March, 2014. Everything went very well. So glad I had it done. However, now I am experiencing some aching near the incision area, and if I sit too long I feel the pain go down my leg.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?