Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Basketgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

On March 10, I had a total hip replacement (THR). Everything was great and I was getting around wonderful. Eleven days later my right hip dislocated, it was the most horrible pain. I went to the hospital and the doctor put it back in place, I spent the night and went home. The very next evening, the same hip dislocated again and I had then to repeat the same thing. My doctor then decided to take me back in and revise the original THR, it"s been three weeks today and I am at the very beginning again. Very discouraged at this point, the pain from the surgeries and the dislocations have been trying! The burning pain in my thigh is so intense! Hopefully, this will I improve!

Comment from: BrettJ, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I"m a 34 year old male. I had a total left hip replacement a week ago after almost five years of unbearable pain. Only now do I realize how much pain I was in. I was discharged after two days and the difference is indescribable. The pain is gone! Even the pain around the operative site is minimal. I had a cementless implant via the AMIS method and am thankful to be able to say that I was in the hands of a truly skilled surgeon. If you are considering getting a THR my advice is to do your homework and choose your surgeon carefully!

Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

After 3 years of pain that I thought was from my (all messed up) back, I had a total right hip surgery in the beginning of 2014. It took a few weeks for the new hip to settle down, but has felt and worked flawlessly since. My right leg is (as near as my therapist can tell) about 3/8" longer than my original (left). I level out with a small pad in my left shoe. My old hip has caused most of my pain since the surgery, but checks out fine when x-rayed. I was told that a lot of this is because I put the surgery off too long. This happened to someone else I know of whose original hip finally straightened out and now is fine. I used a walker about 10 days, then a cane for a few weeks after that. I tried to hit golf balls 7 weeks after surgery. The new hip is great, old hip made it way too painful to play. I followed my chiropractor's advice and worked with a personal trainer for about five weeks prior to surgery. I wish that I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

It"s now been 3 years since my total hip replacement. And I feel better than ever! I am a 54 year old male, active, and the replacement was the best thing I ever did. I wanted to share some experiences, maybe help others. 1. I do lift weights. I don"t lift too heavy, but I also don"t skimp. 2. I do not run. I do walk 3 to 4 miles every other day. I get cardio from stationary bike or fast weight workout. 3. I do yoga. 4. I do high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes. On the yoga and HIIT I avoid some things (e.g. any high impact in HIIT). 5. After my surgery and recovery I made big changes to my diet and now I carry 10% body fat. Carrying around less weight is a huge benefit and I feel zero stress on my hip. 6. I do play golf; I"m still lousy, but it"s a lot more enjoyable.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 24

I had total hip replacement on January 31st 2014. The pain before surgery was unbearable. Now after almost 3 weeks I am walking without assistance except when outside due to snow and ice. At home I wobble; no pain, just pressure I think. Also it feels like the leg is longer. I'm hoping it's due to swelling. So far I don"t regret doing surgery. Two days in the hospital and relatively pain free immediately. I'm hoping to not limp permanently. Therapy is important and am following it to a tee. I should have had the surgery done a long time ago.

Comment from: countrygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 54 year old female who had an uncemented left THR (total hip replacement) on 1/27/2014 due to a congenital malformation of the hip socket. The hip was severely degenerative and cystic and the left leg was over 1 cm shorter than the right by the time I had surgery. The pain was beyond unbearable. I am very physically active and slender, employed in the dairy research/management field. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-surgery because of anemia due to blood loss and nausea due to pain meds. It is now 17 days post-surgery and I am using one crutch to ambulate. The pain is minimal at this point and I have been advised to continue only partial weight bearing on the left leg for another 2-3 weeks. I am taking one 81 mg aspirin/day as well as iron and pain medications as needed. I have exercises to do at home and there are currently no plans for structured physical therapy in the future. The leg muscles are still weak/stiff/sore and need lots of strengthening but I feel good and am very optimistic about a full recovery.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?