Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I needed a total hip replacement after I fell and sustained a fracture. I am a nurse of 40 years and never expected to see myself on state disability and dependent on others. It's been 11 weeks and I still have PT twice a week with pool therapy on one of those days. I have improved, and walk with only one of my walking sticks, but I still can't walk well without the stick. I exercise in the pool here where I live almost every day I don't have therapy and do the "land" exercises too. I hope to get back to work once I am able to walk better. I do take an occasional pain pill. I admit to getting discouraged but am determined to get better.

Comment from: Agnes, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a total hip replacement in June 2013 after falling over and breaking the neck of femur,no arthritis etc. my recovery is going well but I do believe thanks to the surgeon and ohysician refusing to operate until my INR (I am on warfarin) reading was 1.1 or below prevented wound bleeding . Physio and hydrotherapy are essential to recovery as well as having help in the home for 4-6 weeks after surgery. This is a major operation and must be viewed as such. Back sleeping is difficult but it is not forever.

Comment from: Dottie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I needed a total hip replacement after I fell and sustained a fracture. I am a nurse of 40 years and never elected to see myself on state disability and dependent on others. It's been 11 weeks and I still have PT twice a week with pool therapy on one if those days. I have improved, and walk with only one of my walking sticks, but I still can't walk well without the stick. I exercise in the pool here where I live almost every day I don't have therapy and do the "land" exercises too. I hope to get back to work once I am able to walk better. I admit to getting discouraged but am determined to get better.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a fall in my garage in Dec. 2012 resulting in a total replacement of my right hip. I had 2 weeks of physio at the hospital and another 4 weeks (2 sessions a week) at the hospital. Then seven months of rehab at a private clinic. The surgeon has told me several times that exercise will bring me back to normal. I've been exercising and walking but have experienced a lot of pain. I do not like to medicate unless the pain too much. I need to support my family but feel perplexed as to how to proceed. The prosthesis is all metal. I've read that one particular prosthesis has been recalled. I'm unsure of the manufacturers name, however, I feel I cannot undergo anther surgery and go through another seven months of rehab.

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm 54 and just had my first total hip replacement and had to lengthen my leg 2 inches. July 23,2013. I have always had trouble with my hip since birth. I am now getting my muscles used to being longer. really sore. I can get up to use the restroom but about all right now. I hope my 4-6 weeks goes by fast with the grace of god I know I will. I have already had 2 kidney transplants. The first lasted 27 years and still working.

Comment from: Mombird3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a partial left hip replacement recently. I had physical therapy the day after surgery and was in the hospital for 2 more days. The staples were removed 10 days later. I have some pain while lying down for long periods and while sitting in a chair. Sleeping has been difficult for me as I am not a back sleeper.

Comment from: buckwheat, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a hip replacement in October of 2012. As of April 2013, I am doing great. I walk every day and do what I want to do. I had tendonitis that set in for about three months, but it has cleared up. I'm glad I had my hip replacement done – I can't wait to get in my pool.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 54-year-old active man who had my right hip replaced in November of 2008. I spent three days in the hospital, and then I was home. The pain I had is totally gone and after following the doctor's instructions to the letter, I am walking easily without aid after seven weeks. Later, I had the ceramic implant that should last 25 or more years. I expect to be playing golf in the summer as well as long walks and biking. It has been a blessing, and I am looking forward to a long life free of restrictions and pain.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?