Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Poet.Jason, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a total right hip replacement in 1982 that failed within two months. In 1983, I had another replacement that also failed by becoming very painful and loose. I had it replaced again in 1985. I have had the same hip since then, but I have always experienced pain. In the last two years, the pain has become worse. In the last five months, I cannot put any weight on my right leg, and I believe it has come loose again. I really do not want another replacement. I am very scared of a forth replacement, as I am told if it fails again I would end up with a straight bar being put in, which would mean I would not be able to bend my hip or drive. It would also make work difficult. I am also concerned about MRSA, as I have worked in nursing for the last six years. I have seen some bad results.

Comment from: Granny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a total hip replacement Nov. 4, 2008. My recovery was surprising, which I credit to four years of working out at a gym, weight lifting, and using various lower-body machines. My quads were like rocks. I am a woman, 75 years old. I was walking without aid after two weeks, but used a cane outside as a safety precaution. I did physical therapy on my own for several weeks and followed the prescribed precautions. After six weeks, I was back on my treadmill doing about 20 to 30 minutes. Getting the sock on my right foot is still difficult. It's still stiff, and the muscle is sore at times.

Comment from: Gail, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

In March, I had the right hip replaced. I spent three days in the hospital, seven days in rehab, and then a few weeks of home physical therapy. In May, I danced at my friend's wedding. I had very little pain; it was a wonderful experience. I guess having osteoarthritis was more painful than whatever they did to my bones. Dec. 1, I had the left one replaced. Again, I spent three days in the hospital. (The second surgery is so much easier.) This time, I had a slight problem with constipation followed by diarrhea that caused them to get me back in the hospital after three days of rehab for another three-day stay whereupon they hydrated me. I made up the three days I lost in the hospital at rehab and was home after eight days. I'm doing home rehab, and I'm doing very well. Take heart and don't read all the negative stories. It's a real blessing.

Comment from: Lucy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My husband had a right total hip replacement in Aug. 2006. Shortly after surgery, he developed great pain in the area of the right groin. He went through three pain management injections, which did not help him. In Dec. 2007, after about 18 months of pain after his total hip replacement, he requested a CT scan of his hip. The doctor ended up doing another right hip revision in Feb. 2008. About six weeks after the second surgery, the same exact pain came back to the groin area. He saw his surgeon on a follow-up appointment, and his doctor told him to go to another pain management specialist. He did three more pain management injections, which did not help. I have taken him to other orthopedic surgeons, pain management doctors, and a neurologist. The neurologist says there is no nerve damage, so it must be a hip problem. We are still continuing to pursue solutions. He is in pain all the time.

Comment from: NancyPrudhomme2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had total right hip replacement surgery in October. It was a very painful experience, but I came home from the hospital the day after surgery. After getting home my doctor had a home health nurse and therapist come to my home 2 days a week and that helped. After the 2nd week following my surgery I went back to my doctor and had staples removed. It felt really great. I didn't stay down at all because to move is to heal. After getting off the walker I went to the cane which is where I am now, I did have a problem sleeping in bed, so spent 2 weeks sleeping in my recliner due to the pain but I will have to say the overall experience was great because I no longer have the terrible pain in my hip that I had, had for 7 years. So if you are having a lot of pains don't think twice about getting total hip replacement because you won't regret it.

Comment from: Beatty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

After my total hip replacement surgery one leg is longer than the other.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?