Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: hunter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 68-year-old male and had been suffering from excruciating pain in my pelvic area for seven months. On 8/1/13 I had a total hip replacement (THR). I spent 3 days in the hospital and then went to a rehab facility, which I feel was very important to my rehab. After two weeks at rehab, I came home on a walker. Three weeks post-operation I was on a cane, and a month post operation I am walking 2 miles a day unassisted and pain-free. I couldn't be happier with my new hip and wish I had the operation done months ago.

Comment from: ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had a total hip replacement; I have had nothing but pain. The replacement was done 2010. I had all kinds of test and x-rays but they could find anything wrong.

Comment from: Constance, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had total hip surgery on May 31st, 2013, on the left hip. I followed doctor's orders to a T, but had popping and sublexation after 2 weeks. My doctor advised to just continue building up muscle. 6 weeks into post-op I had a huge pop and intense release of pressure in my hamstring, and continued sublexation. Now I am unable to do the things I was doing 3 weeks after the surgery due to muscle pain and sublexation. I am laid up for 20 days now. Unable to walk or lift my leg. My doctor doesn't want to operate, but I am so disconcerted and in great pain. I'm afraid my hip is going to dislocate and/or freeze up. Getting surgery was the worst mistake.

Comment from: Happy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

After more than three years of being totally immobile, I had total hip replacement on my left leg. The first time I got out of bed in the hospital I was so happy to be pain free (on one side!) I asked him to do the right leg. I had to wait three months to have the right leg done and could not be happier. There are no restrictions and no pain with the new anterior approach. If I get stiff at all I grab the dog and go for a walk. It all depends on choosing the right surgeon. Both legs are the same length. I just passed my one- year post-op exam with flying colors! I am still feeling more confidence and strength daily. I have spoken to people who have had replacement before the anterior surgery was available and there seems to be so many restrictions – I'm glad I had the new surgery. You can remain independent. Go for it!

Comment from: Brownie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a total hip replacement on Dec. 15, 2008. There was more pain than I had anticipated; however, I was sent home on the fourth day with warfarin (3 mg. per day) after having both warfarin and Lovenox in the hospital. The visiting nurses came and checked my blood levels (INT), and the first test showed 1.1, which is not therapeutic, so I understand. After several more days, a second test showed the same levels and my warfarin was increased to 5 mg. per day. Two days later, I was diagnosed with a blood clot behind the knee and the pain was indescribable. At that point, warfarin was increased to 7.5 mg. and I was sent home with Lovenox injections (70 mg.). My blood was then monitored each day, and it took seven days for the blood levels to reach 2.1. At this point, Lovenox was discontinued and now, after five days of no blood draw, I will have a stick test tomorrow to see if the level is maintaining. I was flat on the couch with an elevated leg for 12 days before I felt much relief in the leg. So ... rehab was discontinued, and I am at least two weeks behind now on any serious rehab. My experience makes me furious because I believe the "ball was dropped" on the blood levels. Also, I had huge issues connecting with the surgeon who was "out of town" and had no referral physician. How differently things would have been if I had been more educated and took more control over my own care and demanded closer attention be paid to what was going on.

Comment from: Hal47, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I'm 61 and had a left hip replacement surgery on Sept. 29, 2008. After a couple of weeks, I felt immediate improvement, and this continued for another four weeks. But since then, I haven't had any improvement at all. About 8 inches of my left thigh are numb all the time. I have pain (mostly in the high thigh area) when I'm lying down or if I sit for long periods of time. Worst of all, I can "feel" the prosthetic in there like a weight. It's difficult to describe, but those who have the sensation know what I mean. I have the least pain when I walk, which is just the opposite of the way things were before surgery. I'm worried that things are not going to get any better.

Comment from: Poet.Jason, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a total right hip replacement in 1982 that failed within two months. In 1983, I had another replacement that also failed by becoming very painful and loose. I had it replaced again in 1985. I have had the same hip since then, but I have always experienced pain. In the last two years, the pain has become worse. In the last five months, I cannot put any weight on my right leg, and I believe it has come loose again. I really do not want another replacement. I am very scared of a forth replacement, as I am told if it fails again I would end up with a straight bar being put in, which would mean I would not be able to bend my hip or drive. It would also make work difficult. I am also concerned about MRSA, as I have worked in nursing for the last six years. I have seen some bad results.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?