Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

It"s now been 3 years since my total hip replacement. And I feel better than ever! I am a 54 year old male, active, and the replacement was the best thing I ever did. I wanted to share some experiences, maybe help others. 1. I do lift weights. I don"t lift too heavy, but I also don"t skimp. 2. I do not run. I do walk 3 to 4 miles every other day. I get cardio from stationary bike or fast weight workout. 3. I do yoga. 4. I do high intensity interval training (HIIT) classes. On the yoga and HIIT I avoid some things (e.g. any high impact in HIIT). 5. After my surgery and recovery I made big changes to my diet and now I carry 10% body fat. Carrying around less weight is a huge benefit and I feel zero stress on my hip. 6. I do play golf; I"m still lousy, but it"s a lot more enjoyable.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 24

I had total hip replacement on January 31st 2014. The pain before surgery was unbearable. Now after almost 3 weeks I am walking without assistance except when outside due to snow and ice. At home I wobble; no pain, just pressure I think. Also it feels like the leg is longer. I'm hoping it's due to swelling. So far I don"t regret doing surgery. Two days in the hospital and relatively pain free immediately. I'm hoping to not limp permanently. Therapy is important and am following it to a tee. I should have had the surgery done a long time ago.

Comment from: countrygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 54 year old female who had an uncemented left THR (total hip replacement) on 1/27/2014 due to a congenital malformation of the hip socket. The hip was severely degenerative and cystic and the left leg was over 1 cm shorter than the right by the time I had surgery. The pain was beyond unbearable. I am very physically active and slender, employed in the dairy research/management field. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-surgery because of anemia due to blood loss and nausea due to pain meds. It is now 17 days post-surgery and I am using one crutch to ambulate. The pain is minimal at this point and I have been advised to continue only partial weight bearing on the left leg for another 2-3 weeks. I am taking one 81 mg aspirin/day as well as iron and pain medications as needed. I have exercises to do at home and there are currently no plans for structured physical therapy in the future. The leg muscles are still weak/stiff/sore and need lots of strengthening but I feel good and am very optimistic about a full recovery.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had a great recovery from total hip replacement. My replacement was due to an injury and the decision for a full hip replacement was due to my rheumatoid arthritis. Right now it is 6 weeks since my surgery. I am transitioning from a walker to a cane. I have had little pain from my hip. What little pain I have had is from my rheumatoid arthritis. I am doing everything independently. After my hospital stay I was in a rehabilitation facility for 2 and a half weeks. I think it was key because I was able to have therapy every day. It has been amazing to me that I am up and around and taking care of myself so soon.

Comment from: Keith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 55 and had a total hip replacement in January of 2014, of the left hip. It has been four weeks since and I feel great (using cane for safety because of snow and ice). I can"t wait to go fly fishing again in a few more weeks. I followed a hip strengthening program that the doctor gave me, a month before surgery. I also went to a weight loss clinic and took off extra weight (20 pounds). I think preparing with diet and exercise has been the key to my recovery with little to no pain. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Irvin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

In May 2013, I went in for total replacement of my right hip. Prior to going into surgery, I was told that the hip was very infected, and that an "antibiotic spacer" (basically a temporary hip) would be installed, and then in a few months surgery again and the permanent hip installed. No problems with the first surgery. I was home after two days, and started therapy. However, recovery was limited due to the fact that I could not put any weight on the leg/hip. Second surgery was in August 2013. I was home after one day! I began therapy at home within a couple of days, twice a week for a month. Now it is six months after surgery. I am still walking with crutches and/or walker. I have pain in my leg, especially around the knee area. Incision and hip seem to be good, no pain there. Doctors say it may take another two months for me due to two surgeries.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?