Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: terra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a total hip replacement end November 2013 and have had excruciating pain ever since. In fact the pain I have now is worse than before the hip replacement. I believe I have had a nerve damaged and I am not the first person to have this happen to them, and the pain is unbearable despite strong pain killers. I just don't know what to do next. My advice would be, don't have the operation.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My left hip was replaced in January 2011, posterior approach. I had 3 nights stay in hospital and left hospital on crutches, no weight bearing. I had substantial post-surgery pain, 5 to 6 level for 4 weeks. I had to ensure no weight bearing or minimal for 3 weeks, and use crutches or walker only. All the post-surgery precautions were used, some for 3 months. Hematoma from surgery traveled down the entire leg and turned top of foot and toes black. Cane was used and walker was still used after 3 weeks. My leg is not strong enough to maintain balance. Strengthening exercises were done for 3 months until leg was strong enough to maintain balance and I could stop using walking assistance. After cane was not used, I still had a prominent limp for 6 plus months. I started riding bicycle 3 months after surgery and in 6 months I am back to about 80 percent normal. It took from month 6 out to full year to regain full flexibility of the leg 100 percent. My right hip was replaced in November 2014, anterior approach. Total time spent in hospital was 28 hours. I dressed, standing full weight bearing, 4 hours after surgery. Post-surgery pain was 2 to 3 level 2 weeks out. I used walker to help with stability until leaving hospital, full weight bearing. I left hospital with a cane and followed no typical hip replacement precautions and had no hematoma. In 6 days, no walking assistance, minimal limp, very little reduced leg strength or flexibility. In 2 weeks I am riding bicycle. I look to be 80 percent 1 month out and 100 percent by 3 months. There is a big difference in the 2 approaches. Don't let a doctor tell you there isn't. Seek out a surgeon skilled in minimally invasive anterior approach. You will be happy.

Comment from: Linda D., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total hip replacement surgery in October 2012. Surgery and recovery went very well. However within a few months I experienced a deep depression, could not eat, couldn't even look at food on TV, I would have to run to the bathroom. My regular physician could not determine what was wrong. Nausea pills did not work. Antidepressant he gave me resulted in severe stomach pain. It took a good year to start to feel better. I have fibromyalgia, restless legs, and Raynaud's disease too. I was taking gabapentin for the fibromyalgia but it made me extremely tired and unable to stay awake so I stopped taking it. I wonder if any of these could result in my depression and inability to eat. I feel that surgery, medications, etc., can disrupt your internal chemical balance and possibly that is why I experienced this horrible depression and inability to eat.

Comment from: Billy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had total left hip replacement on 5/28/14. I am a 54 year old male. I spent two and a half days in hospital, then 10 days in rehabilitation facility and then 3 weeks of 3 times a week in outpatient rehab. I am a very active person, play a lot of tennis. At 9 weeks I got back on the tennis court, no real running, just hitting. I'm feeling good. Proper rehab is a must. The exercises must be done. I am seeing my surgeon next week for my 12 week evaluation. I hope to get the okay for full doubles tennis. I realize playing tennis carries some risk, but what the heck, life is for living. One more thing. I am not overweight, 5ft 11 and 183 pounds but I decided to lose 5 to 10 pounds to lessen any pressure on the new hip. Make sure you are in the best condition you can be before the operation. It will help your recovery.

Comment from: DawnDedee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had both hip joints replaced four months apart. The first one was perfect but the second one is a nightmare. There is still no pain in my first hip but the second one has excruciating constant pain that has crippled my daily functions. My life now revolves around this pain. I received an injection into my groin but it made it worse all in all. This is not pain I can push through. I am stuck. And the first hip has no pain at all and is the strong leg for the weak one.

Comment from: helloworld, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

November 2013 I had left total hip replacement. During surgery my greater trochanter was fractured. I had more pain than before surgery. My surgeon said tests showed no problem, and some of my pain was below the knee, and referred me to back doctor. He could not find a problem but had block which did nothing. After almost 6 months and now in a wheelchair I went to a new surgeon who ran tests and bone scan showed nothing wrong. But I could not live this way so went in for 2nd surgery. Doctor told me that it had split down 2 inches and the socket was loose even though the x-rays did not show any of this. I am now healing with this 2nd surgery and hope all goes well.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?