Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Smartladyinct, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had a left side total hip replacement with a femur elongation due to hip dysplasia from birth. I am now 6 weeks post operation and although I still feel pain, it is relatively controlled with medication, I am able to walk with a slight limp and do most things I did before. My biggest frustration is not knowing when I can try to do certain things that the surgery has originally prevented me from doing.

Comment from: MUSTANGS13, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had 3 operations, 1 total and 2 revisions. I had a car accident and I feel it loosened the hip because it keeps popping out. The doctor says that cannot happen; he says it is defective parts.

Comment from: Hippaingone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a total right hip replacement 11-26-2013. Today will be 3 weeks and 3 days. I am able to walk without a walker or cane. The only pain I have now is surgical pain. My leg is still weak, but I am doing exercises and going to therapy to strengthen my muscles. So I am happy with the success of the surgery.

Comment from: catlover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a hip replacement 10 days ago. I am still in pain, not much strength in the leg, using walker cane as I am unsteady. I will go back to the doctor next week, worried it's not right. I am doing physiotherapy and taking pain pills. I am getting down about it.

Comment from: mkz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had my right hip replaced on Oct 28, 2013. I feel like I should be further along in my recovery than where I am after one month. My left hip is also being replaced and will be done in early December. I am hoping that it's the left hip that is hindering my right hip recovery; leg lengths won't be equal until after next surgery and I have the pain from bone on bone yet. Hoping that being discouraged will change after the other hip is replaced.

Comment from: Scott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I had total hip replacement of the left hip on 7/30/2013. All is well except that when I sit even for a short period of time and stand, my fist 2 to 3 steps are very shaky. It has only been 90 days. I go to the gym, ride the stationary bike, walk the tread mill and lift weights, careful to not hurt my back or hip. I do it alternate days so as to not stress my hip. I don't have a real bad pain but it quickly goes away after the first few steps.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have ankylosing spondylitis. For several years I had pain in my groin and limped severely. Due to not having medical insurance, I was unable to get medical help other than NSAIDs. Six months prior to surgery I did have an x-ray which showed mild arthritis. Finally, after I got on Medicare I was able to have an MRI which showed severe osteoarthritis, several labral tears and a cyst on the head. I was quickly scheduled for surgery for a total knee replacement. The thing that I discovered while being educated prior to the surgery was the pain chart. Prior to the surgery my pain level was consistently an 8. I could barely sleep at night and had no pain meds. After surgery I was amazed that the pain level with meds was so low. I have never since (with or without medicines) had a pain level greater than 3. I am so grateful to my surgeon and medical team for supporting me and making my life full again. It has been 10 weeks and I look forward to leading an active life without pain.

Comment from: CC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total hip replacement one week ago in August 2013. So far the hip has been amazing. No grinding pain in my hip. In fact, no pain at all other than what you would expect from the survival site itself. Today I walked two blocks with just a cane and a friend to watch me. No pain. My leg feels longer than the other but I am sure that is swelling. I feel great! Do your research on the surgery AND on your doctor's record of success/failure before ever signing up. Your doctor should have hundreds of successful surgeries behind him/her. Don't be afraid to ask.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?