Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: DoggyMom, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 24

Quite a journey! After living in denial about my hip pain, I finally succumbed to a THR. Not going to lie-the first 3 days were rough-I couldn't tolerate the pain pills so I just toughed it out. Then, magically, the pain began to improve pretty quickly. 8 days later I went shopping and was able to walk with my cane. The original hip pain is totally gone-what's left is just the residual healing pain from the surgery. Can't wait to see how I'm doing in 3 months!

Comment from: Jewels, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

My hip replacement in May 2013 went surprisingly well. I was not in great shape, having retired for almost 10 years from a sedentary office job. Three nasty falls in the previous six months contributed to the pain and weakness. My surgery was on a Monday, with general anesthesia, even though I have COPD. The incision was sealed with glue, not staples. There was never any drainage and hardly any pain at the incision site. About 48 hours later, they moved me from the recovery room with an IV, cath, etc., to the rehab department of the hospital. Rehab therapists worked me up to three hours a day, then in two weeks sent me home with a walker and several meds. Physical therapists and activities of daily living therapists came to my home for two more weeks. My back is fully upright after several years bent over! This was my first major surgery or stay in hospital, so I sure am grateful all those blue-uniformed helpers who are so skilled at their jobs.

Comment from: Suzy2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a total hip replacement on 3/3/14. I did not wait until the pain was unbearable, but I could no longer walk for exercise. I have osteoarthritis, and at 63 years of age I didn"t want to stop living a mobile life. It has been 5 weeks and I feel great. I"m still using a walker (until 6 weeks) just to be on the safe side. Your article was spot on for information and help in deciding to have the surgery.

Comment from: maxxcy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on March 5th 2014. The next day I walked to the toilet by myself, there was no hip pain but my knee hurt. I stayed in hospital for 4 days. I went to rehabilitation and stayed 3 1/2 week. I drove on the third week - one time. I can walk with a cane and walker. The pain I had, it took me 1/2 hour to walk 25 feet, crying and depressed. So far my legs seem even, if not later. After I'm well, it beats that pain. Three months of knife pain; thank goodness it"s over. Good Luck.

Comment from: Bigrig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I just had total hip replacement 5 days ago. I seem to have a lot of swelling. I'm getting around good with a walker but the swelling concerns me.

Comment from: lala, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

On January 14, 2014 I had right total hip replacement. The next morning I got up walking and was fine except my left leg was 2 inches shorter. The doctor came in did x-rays and said it was because of my back and pelvis being tilted, so the very next morning they had to re-do the total hip replacement again. Once home, I was doing fine, but 5 weeks later I developed pain up front, from knee up to hip. I limp when walking and am in much pain. I am very active now I frown in pain as I limp along on March 14 2014.

Comment from: Derek, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had left total hip replacement. The operation was on 14th August 2013. Six days after operation I had a dislocation, in the following 2 weeks had 3 more and was in a brace for 4 months. The brace came off 7 weeks ago, seems to be ok. I walk a lot, sometimes have pain and when I sit it feels as if I am sitting on a lump, wondering if it is still early days.

Comment from: Hop-a-long, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a hip replacement January 31, 2014, I am walking with no help. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and went home. I feel great! I am bored at home and ready to go back to work!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?