Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Linda D., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total hip replacement surgery in October 2012. Surgery and recovery went very well. However within a few months I experienced a deep depression, could not eat, couldn't even look at food on TV, I would have to run to the bathroom. My regular physician could not determine what was wrong. Nausea pills did not work. Antidepressant he gave me resulted in severe stomach pain. It took a good year to start to feel better. I have fibromyalgia, restless legs, and Raynaud's disease too. I was taking gabapentin for the fibromyalgia but it made me extremely tired and unable to stay awake so I stopped taking it. I wonder if any of these could result in my depression and inability to eat. I feel that surgery, medications, etc., can disrupt your internal chemical balance and possibly that is why I experienced this horrible depression and inability to eat.

Comment from: Billy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I had total left hip replacement on 5/28/14. I am a 54 year old male. I spent two and a half days in hospital, then 10 days in rehabilitation facility and then 3 weeks of 3 times a week in outpatient rehab. I am a very active person, play a lot of tennis. At 9 weeks I got back on the tennis court, no real running, just hitting. I'm feeling good. Proper rehab is a must. The exercises must be done. I am seeing my surgeon next week for my 12 week evaluation. I hope to get the okay for full doubles tennis. I realize playing tennis carries some risk, but what the heck, life is for living. One more thing. I am not overweight, 5ft 11 and 183 pounds but I decided to lose 5 to 10 pounds to lessen any pressure on the new hip. Make sure you are in the best condition you can be before the operation. It will help your recovery.

Comment from: DawnDedee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had both hip joints replaced four months apart. The first one was perfect but the second one is a nightmare. There is still no pain in my first hip but the second one has excruciating constant pain that has crippled my daily functions. My life now revolves around this pain. I received an injection into my groin but it made it worse all in all. This is not pain I can push through. I am stuck. And the first hip has no pain at all and is the strong leg for the weak one.

Comment from: helloworld, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

November 2013 I had left total hip replacement. During surgery my greater trochanter was fractured. I had more pain than before surgery. My surgeon said tests showed no problem, and some of my pain was below the knee, and referred me to back doctor. He could not find a problem but had block which did nothing. After almost 6 months and now in a wheelchair I went to a new surgeon who ran tests and bone scan showed nothing wrong. But I could not live this way so went in for 2nd surgery. Doctor told me that it had split down 2 inches and the socket was loose even though the x-rays did not show any of this. I am now healing with this 2nd surgery and hope all goes well.

Comment from: rodoyoung, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Total right hip replacement, dislocated after 3-1/2 weeks, another surgery because replacement did not fit, extended neck. Three weeks later fracture in head of femur was found. After 8 weeks of brace and months of physical therapy, now 9 months later, I still have pain on walking. Other hip needs replacement, is very painful, but perhaps I need to find another surgeon.

Comment from: PK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I broke my left hip in a fall when in 2006 and had a hip rebuild then to fix it. I recovered nicely in about a year, regaining full function in 3 years. At about 6-8 years post-operation I noticed more fatigue, but continued an active lifestyle, being a water aerobics instructor. Then all of a sudden in Fall 2014, I could not walk and was in intensive pain which got worse and worse till I was in a wheelchair a lot and finally had a total hip replacement in April, 2014. They also removed the previous repair of plates and screws and burred down the bone a lot to find a good place to put the prosthesis. Initially, I felt great and I could see I had a great new joint. My doctor kept me on a walker for 6 plus weeks because of balance issues and not wanting me to fall and damage very osteoporotic bones. I am now 10 weeks post operation and noticed as I started full weight bearing, that I developed a thigh pain and swelling, just below the surgical site, that gets worse with walking and weight bearing activities or physiotherapy. Water aerobics seems okay, but I am exhausted a lot when I try to exercise/build up strength. I am now 60 years old, generally very active, and having trouble with the building back strength and stamina part of my recovery. It seems much slower than it should be to me. I am a bit discouraged with this set back in my recovery.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?