Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Bud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had THR (total hip replacement) on the right side on March, 19th, 2013 and it was the best decision I ever made. Sure, there was pain after the surgery but after about 6 to 8 months all has healed up well and I'm very happy with the results. In fact on Halloween day of this year I actually had a car back into me in a parking lot and I flew about eight feet in the air, fortunately, I was able to land face down and using my hands I was able to protect the right hip. I visited my Orthopedist and all is fine. My right wrist still is sore, but the right hip is just fine. I would advise anyone in severe hip pain to have the surgery.

Comment from: Dave377, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a generalized area of pain in my right groin which I was attributing to a former hernia surgery. I went through steroid injections for 3 months but they did nothing but mask the pain temporarily. Eventually I had THR (total hip replacement) and the results were fantastic. I had a great surgeon and my rehabilitation wasn't bad. I returned to work after 3 months resuming my duties as a letter carrier. The soreness around the incision eventually subsided and I now walk and feel like I did when I felt perfectly normal. I suggest THR to anyone who has severe pain in their groin, hip or lower back areas.

Comment from: B2young, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 47. I had my left THR (total hip replacement) done 4 years ago. I can't even explain how good it felt to be without pain; it was almost immediate that I had no pain in that hip. Within the first 3 weeks I was out dancing! I was told at that time my left was getting bad and would have to be done at some point. Well, then I moved to another state. Same insurance but had to go to a different doctor. I just had my left done 5 weeks ago and it's awful. The doctor will not acknowledge his mistakes. My pain is as bad, if not worse, as before. My left leg is now longer and now both hips hurt. I thought I had someone who I could trust but he is now totally blowing off the leg length, the effect on the other hip, and the pain. I feel worse than I did before surgery. He said I need to wait 3 months before judging, which I don't agree with. I guess my point is, it is worth the initial pain but need to really research the doctor. I had a gut feeling and didn't follow it. I plan to send all x-rays and reports back to my first doctor and hopefully won't have to go through a "total" again; I just want to get it fixed.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I had a total left hip replacement on 8th August 2013. I left hospital for home after 5 days, needing a second x-ray, because they queried a fracture, which proved not to be. However, having never been free of pain, and now the last 3 weeks having left knee pain/stiffness I wonder if this can be so. At first hospital post operation appointment I was told not to drive for 4 months, not that I have felt like it anyway. I have just bought a little car with a soft clutch at least to be independent again and not rely on family. I have great difficulty in walking for more than 100yards. I wish I had never had the operation. I will see my surgeon again on 7th January 2014. I hate being a misery guts, as always been a happy and busy person with a long nursing career, not so good being on the receiving end now.

Comment from: Robie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a total hip arthroplasty on May 24th 2013. Recovery was quick and positive. In July I started physical therapy two days a week to strengthen the hip muscles. I started to feel pain in the mid femoral and lateral bones. After MRI, I had about 4cc of blood removed from a bursa near distal area of the surgical incision. The muscle pain continued. X-ray shows no sign of stress fractures or prosthesis movement. I was put on crutches for three weeks and cane for one week but pain still persists.

Comment from: MMF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had THR on the left hip 3 weeks ago yesterday. As of right now I am very glad I did it. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights, I had a lot of nausea. Then on the 4th day back home I took a big step backwards; I could not get control of the nausea or constipation, so I ended up in the emergency room for a full day of fluids and anti-nausea medications. I was not a happy camper. Now things are finally looking up. I'm going to physiotherapy and walking without pain. Hopefully in 3 more weeks I'll be back to chasing grandkids!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?