Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had my right hip replaced 7 weeks ago. Recovery has been very smooth and not too painful; pain-killers stopped after 2 weeks. I can walk almost without limping if I concentrate, but there is still a bit of swelling and my leg gets tied in the evening. I have been swimming and use an exercise bike, but only short sessions for now. My general physician was still telling me to hold on and not have it yet, but it was bone on bone and I'm glad I didn't wait longer.

Comment from: ruthj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 50 year old female and almost five weeks ago I had a double hip replacement. I can get around the house with no crutches but use them outside. I walk about 500 yards a couple of times a day and feel stronger each day. No hip pain just some stiffness and a bit of pulling on the tendons but I guess that is them healing. It was pretty hard going the first two weeks or so but by now I am really happy that I had the two done at once. I have also been up our stairs a few times now. Now looking forward to doing a bit of hill walking over the summer and walking my dogs! Also I have not had a pain killer for three weeks, glad not to be taking them.

Comment from: HMR, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had had two total hip replacements done over the past seven months; the right one on August 30th, 2014, and the left one done on January 30th, 2015. I faithfully did my physiotherapy exercises at home; and have walked one mile a day for the past two weeks! It is great to be rid of the pain; especially getting out of bed or the car! My suggestion to patients facing total hip replacements is to do some research to find the best surgeon that you can! I cannot say enough good things about the young surgeon that performed both my surgeries! My two sisters each had one hip replaced over the past five years by different surgeons, and they both limp! One, with one leg one inch longer than the other! I am an active golfer and look forward to walking the courses this spring, after the pain I endured in the past several seasons!

Comment from: Rick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 43 and had a total hip replacement (anterior approach) on March 3, 2015. One and a half hours after surgery I was walking around the hospital wing and walked up 10 steps and down 10 steps with walker. I went home next day at 12 noon. Two days later I gave up walker for cane and by that Sunday (5 days post-surgery) I was off cane. Three weeks after surgery I bowled. Every day you will feel better! I never even had physiotherapy, and did it myself at home. The worst part is first few nights sleeping. I was off pain medications 2 days post-surgery and just taking naproxen. I am now 5 weeks post and am so far ahead of schedule it is crazy! Everyone should find a doctor that does anterior approach. No muscle or tendon cutting and much faster recovery!

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a total hip replacement almost a month ago due to bad genes. Mom and 3 of her 4 siblings have had this surgery as well. I left the hospital the day after a lateral incision hip replacement. The first few days at home were pretty miserable due to pain and the side effects of oxycodone. After a week of using the walker I switched to the cane, and after another 10 days I was walking solo. My hip is still a bit stiff and sore, but the pain from the bone on bone grinding is gone and I'm regaining strength and flexibility. I'm 59 years old, weigh about 125 at 5'4'. I credit my relatively quick recovery to doing the pre-operation leg/hip exercises for the 4 months while I was waiting for surgery. Benadryl is very helpful for incision itching and insomnia with less side effects than the oxycodone. Anyone who is considering this surgery, read all you can, ask questions, and then make your decision. I feel like I've gotten a new lease on life!

Comment from: Princess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a left total hip replacement 3 months ago and I thought I was doing well. The incisions look great, the surgery was good, the rehabilitation went very well, but when I started outpatient therapy I started having some problems. Every time I put weight on the operated leg I fell pain and pressure, it starts on the hip and goes down to below my knee. I am going to see the doctor next week to see what's going on, scared.

Comment from: Spinny73, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

In September 2008 I had a partial right hip replacement after years of ignoring the pain! The recovery went very well, I used 2 crutches for a week, then one, and cane at 3 weeks. I was driving at 3 weeks as well! I am a construction worker and was back at work in 6 weeks. After 5 1/2 years I started having saddle pain after sitting then walking for about 5 steps, then the pain would go away. After about 4 months of this (with the pain getting worse) I went to see my surgeon, he did an x-ray and confirmed that the post implant became loose and had to be operated on immediately with a total hip replacement! They did a blood test to see if the metal on metal implant was in my bloodstream. The test came back negative, I had the total hip replacement in April 2013. The recovery was about the same, and I was back to work in 6 weeks. In October 2013 I started to feel pain again, saw the surgeon again in December and he confirmed the cup came loose this time! It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my 3rd surgery and the recovery seems to be the same; I am starting to walk without aid, driving and starting outpatient physiotherapy in 2 days. They used a bone graph and 2 angled screws to secure the cup this time. I'm going to take it easier this time and hoping to have a little more longevity to this new hip (fingers crossed).

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?