Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: countrygirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am a 54 year old female who had an uncemented left THR (total hip replacement) on 1/27/2014 due to a congenital malformation of the hip socket. The hip was severely degenerative and cystic and the left leg was over 1 cm shorter than the right by the time I had surgery. The pain was beyond unbearable. I am very physically active and slender, employed in the dairy research/management field. I was in the hospital for 3 days post-surgery because of anemia due to blood loss and nausea due to pain meds. It is now 17 days post-surgery and I am using one crutch to ambulate. The pain is minimal at this point and I have been advised to continue only partial weight bearing on the left leg for another 2-3 weeks. I am taking one 81 mg aspirin/day as well as iron and pain medications as needed. I have exercises to do at home and there are currently no plans for structured physical therapy in the future. The leg muscles are still weak/stiff/sore and need lots of strengthening but I feel good and am very optimistic about a full recovery.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had a great recovery from total hip replacement. My replacement was due to an injury and the decision for a full hip replacement was due to my rheumatoid arthritis. Right now it is 6 weeks since my surgery. I am transitioning from a walker to a cane. I have had little pain from my hip. What little pain I have had is from my rheumatoid arthritis. I am doing everything independently. After my hospital stay I was in a rehabilitation facility for 2 and a half weeks. I think it was key because I was able to have therapy every day. It has been amazing to me that I am up and around and taking care of myself so soon.

Comment from: Keith, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 55 and had a total hip replacement in January of 2014, of the left hip. It has been four weeks since and I feel great (using cane for safety because of snow and ice). I can"t wait to go fly fishing again in a few more weeks. I followed a hip strengthening program that the doctor gave me, a month before surgery. I also went to a weight loss clinic and took off extra weight (20 pounds). I think preparing with diet and exercise has been the key to my recovery with little to no pain. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Irvin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

In May 2013, I went in for total replacement of my right hip. Prior to going into surgery, I was told that the hip was very infected, and that an "antibiotic spacer" (basically a temporary hip) would be installed, and then in a few months surgery again and the permanent hip installed. No problems with the first surgery. I was home after two days, and started therapy. However, recovery was limited due to the fact that I could not put any weight on the leg/hip. Second surgery was in August 2013. I was home after one day! I began therapy at home within a couple of days, twice a week for a month. Now it is six months after surgery. I am still walking with crutches and/or walker. I have pain in my leg, especially around the knee area. Incision and hip seem to be good, no pain there. Doctors say it may take another two months for me due to two surgeries.

Comment from: DAVE, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my left hip replaced 13 months ago and all I can do is limp. My doctor has told me I'm just one of the unlucky ones. I have constant pain and can't really sit long or stand long, not really sure what I am to do. I'm 52, was very athletic, strong and not overweight. To add to my misery my right hip is painful and also needs to be replaced soon just great! Wheelchair is the reality of what I'm looking at within the next year. All I can say is don't get this surgery unless you will die without it! I'm done but maybe I can save one person.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I just had anterior approach double hip replacements and during surgery my right femur cracked. So the next day I had to go and have another operation to have titanium cables tied around my femur. I'm 3 weeks on from two operations and I'm walking with a frame; I can only bear weight of 20 kg on my right leg. I can't seem to find anybody anywhere that this has happened too. My surgeon tells me I'm the only one out of 800 anterior hip replacements that he has done that this has happened to.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?