Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a total hip replacement almost a month ago due to bad genes. Mom and 3 of her 4 siblings have had this surgery as well. I left the hospital the day after a lateral incision hip replacement. The first few days at home were pretty miserable due to pain and the side effects of oxycodone. After a week of using the walker I switched to the cane, and after another 10 days I was walking solo. My hip is still a bit stiff and sore, but the pain from the bone on bone grinding is gone and I'm regaining strength and flexibility. I'm 59 years old, weigh about 125 at 5'4'. I credit my relatively quick recovery to doing the pre-operation leg/hip exercises for the 4 months while I was waiting for surgery. Benadryl is very helpful for incision itching and insomnia with less side effects than the oxycodone. Anyone who is considering this surgery, read all you can, ask questions, and then make your decision. I feel like I've gotten a new lease on life!

Comment from: Princess, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had a left total hip replacement 3 months ago and I thought I was doing well. The incisions look great, the surgery was good, the rehabilitation went very well, but when I started outpatient therapy I started having some problems. Every time I put weight on the operated leg I fell pain and pressure, it starts on the hip and goes down to below my knee. I am going to see the doctor next week to see what's going on, scared.

Comment from: Spinny73, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

In September 2008 I had a partial right hip replacement after years of ignoring the pain! The recovery went very well, I used 2 crutches for a week, then one, and cane at 3 weeks. I was driving at 3 weeks as well! I am a construction worker and was back at work in 6 weeks. After 5 1/2 years I started having saddle pain after sitting then walking for about 5 steps, then the pain would go away. After about 4 months of this (with the pain getting worse) I went to see my surgeon, he did an x-ray and confirmed that the post implant became loose and had to be operated on immediately with a total hip replacement! They did a blood test to see if the metal on metal implant was in my bloodstream. The test came back negative, I had the total hip replacement in April 2013. The recovery was about the same, and I was back to work in 6 weeks. In October 2013 I started to feel pain again, saw the surgeon again in December and he confirmed the cup came loose this time! It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my 3rd surgery and the recovery seems to be the same; I am starting to walk without aid, driving and starting outpatient physiotherapy in 2 days. They used a bone graph and 2 angled screws to secure the cup this time. I'm going to take it easier this time and hoping to have a little more longevity to this new hip (fingers crossed).

Comment from: Isabellejh, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had my two hips replaced in June and September of 2010. All went well for three years, and I was really happy my life was back to normal. One year ago, I started to feel great pain in my right hip and down my leg. After blood tests and a special MRI, we learned that metal joint in my right artificial hip was corroding, and the metal particles were causing the problem. I underwent hip revision in September 2014, and recovered very quickly. I had been instructed again in all precautions that were needed, as I had been told that the smaller ceramic ball they used put me at greater risk for hip dislocation. Regardless of the precautions, my hip dislocated on 10/30. It was reduced, and I had to wear a brace for six weeks. After that, I was even more careful, as I didn't want to go through that horrible pain again. Still, on 2/25, it dislocated again, just bending over the garbage can. Now I am back in the brace for another 4 weeks, not a very pleasant experience either, and I am constantly afraid it will happen again. I was informed that there was a surgical solution, and that with the use of a constrained liner, the risks could be reduced. I am concerned however as this means more surgery, and before making a decision, I would like to know if anyone on this forum has been fitted with a constrained liner, and what their experience is.

Comment from: terra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I had a total hip replacement end November 2013 and have had excruciating pain ever since. In fact the pain I have now is worse than before the hip replacement. I believe I have had a nerve damaged and I am not the first person to have this happen to them, and the pain is unbearable despite strong pain killers. I just don't know what to do next. My advice would be, don't have the operation.

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My left hip was replaced in January 2011, posterior approach. I had 3 nights stay in hospital and left hospital on crutches, no weight bearing. I had substantial post-surgery pain, 5 to 6 level for 4 weeks. I had to ensure no weight bearing or minimal for 3 weeks, and use crutches or walker only. All the post-surgery precautions were used, some for 3 months. Hematoma from surgery traveled down the entire leg and turned top of foot and toes black. Cane was used and walker was still used after 3 weeks. My leg is not strong enough to maintain balance. Strengthening exercises were done for 3 months until leg was strong enough to maintain balance and I could stop using walking assistance. After cane was not used, I still had a prominent limp for 6 plus months. I started riding bicycle 3 months after surgery and in 6 months I am back to about 80 percent normal. It took from month 6 out to full year to regain full flexibility of the leg 100 percent. My right hip was replaced in November 2014, anterior approach. Total time spent in hospital was 28 hours. I dressed, standing full weight bearing, 4 hours after surgery. Post-surgery pain was 2 to 3 level 2 weeks out. I used walker to help with stability until leaving hospital, full weight bearing. I left hospital with a cane and followed no typical hip replacement precautions and had no hematoma. In 6 days, no walking assistance, minimal limp, very little reduced leg strength or flexibility. In 2 weeks I am riding bicycle. I look to be 80 percent 1 month out and 100 percent by 3 months. There is a big difference in the 2 approaches. Don't let a doctor tell you there isn't. Seek out a surgeon skilled in minimally invasive anterior approach. You will be happy.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?