Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: hip, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I am 43, and had bilateral hip replacement. I suffer from AVN (avascular necrosis), and I had a left hip replaced after 2 years. After this I had a hip revision on the left, which then popped 4 times in May 2014. Then screws were put in, and it popped right though. This was June, and I had another revision on the same hip in June 2014. This didn't work, then a claw was put around the replacement. This is still 2014, during this time I have caught septicemia twice in hospital, and had a clot. I had another operation on the same hip in April 2015, to remove the replacement and flush out what doctors call fluid. I then had the fevers, and my body hit out in a rash, and doesn't stop itching. I have been back to the surgeon, and he tells me there is nothing wrong, yet I walk with a crab like motion and my back started hurting. So I went to a back doctor who sent me to a nuclear physician for a bone x-ray. On the bone x-ray they picked up there was some sort of activity in the bone around the prosthetic, but my surgeon still says there's nothing wrong with the hip replacement mechanically. The surgeon tells me to go out and work as normal, but I can't perform my work as I am living on tablets and in constant pain. The leg is sore and feels warm to the touch.

Comment from: Bessan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had my total hip replacement (THR) on July 10. I am 2 weeks post-operation. Many years ago a physiotherapist diagnosed that my right leg was shorter. Gradually my hip got stiffer and pain started last year and it was worse at night. I had a lot of physiotherapy treatment which helped with the stiffness. Eventually the pain took over, not helped by painkillers. I have recovered very well and today for the first day I have not taken painkillers. I walk with two crutches. I still rest, lying down a couple of times/day to make the swelling go down. I am diligently doing my exercises, the lying down ones I found very difficult and painful but the standing up ones I do hourly. It just takes a couple of minutes. I have been back for my 10 day post-operation physiotherapy treatment and was told I have very good gluteus muscle strength and I have been discharged. The frequent exercises have paid off. I emphasize the need to follow the dos and the don'ts for 6 weeks after your operation to allow the cut soft tissues to heal. When I lie on my back, I have one pillow on the outside of my foot and one pillow between my legs to avoid that the foot turns in my sleep. Some alternative tips are, I live in an old house, the stairs are very steep and the step is very short. Scary, so I walk backwards down. I wear an apron with a pocket and I have a thermos travel mug with a lid, in the pouch. I could have walked much more but my thumbs got very sore from the crutches so I got some padded Oarsome Potential rowers grips. On my bedside table I have a beaker with a spout so I don't half sit up and twist to drink. I also have a Vicks nasal inhaler because sleeping on my back makes me breathe through my mouth and very dry in the mouth.

Comment from: Madison, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had an anterior approach total hip replacement 13 days ago. They had me up and taking a few steps hours after the surgery. I am using a cane now if I go outside and to help get me in and out of my car but I feel great! My muscles are a little sore but Tylenol helps. I wish I had known this was what was needed and I would have done it months ago!

Comment from: cocoa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a total hip replacement (THR) in February. It was determined that I had soft bones so I was told not to put weight on the right side for 1 month, and at the end of that time to put 1/3 of your body weight the next week, and then 2/3, etc. I walked with a walker for 3 months. Then I went to a cane because the doctor insisted I did. I am still on a cane and this is 5 months and all the other cases I have read, no one uses a cane very long. My thigh (just above my right knee) hurts when I walk very far and sometimes even below my knee will hurt. I have also had two total knee replacements and they are no problem. I am totally frustrated that I can't get rid of the cane. I am afraid I am putting too much stress on my other hip.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a hip replacement 9 months ago. At first all was ok and recovery seemed to be going well. However my hip joint now seems to be getting stiffer each day and the range of motion more restricted. I don't get pain when standing or even walking, but if I try to bring my leg up to my chest or lean it to the right or left when lying down, the pain is incredible. I am able to cross my legs when sitting, although I know I probably shouldn't; but trying to bend or move my leg inwards or outwards is getting harder every day. All the pain is centered on my hip area and I don't seem to have any pain in my leg.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?