Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Exactly one month ago I had a left hip replacement via the anterior method. I have had absolutely no pain at all, no need for medication except aspirin for a blood thinner, vitamin C, multi vitamins and an anti-inflammatory tablet once a day. I am an 80 year old female and have been doing physical conditioning with a trainer to prepare for the surgery for several months before surgery. While I think my experience with no pain may be rare I do think the anterior method does increase the chance of less pain. I have physiotherapy 3 times a week now, I have been driving for some time now and can totally take care of myself and home. I think the key to a good recovery is probably to get help doing the proper exercises to strengthen yourself ahead of time. I was told in the hospital they never see results like mine unless a person has done physical therapy before surgery and then they always see really good recovery. I can walk well without a cane or walker but I am being very careful to maintain a good gait while walking so use a cane if I feel fatigue setting in or if I start limping.

Comment from: captain coupling, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had my second hip replacement done 1/11/2016. They cracked the top of the bone and had to put a longer and wider wedge down into my leg, plus a couple of clamps. I have had months of rehabilitation. I am not getting better at all. I walk with cane, can't bend down/over to put socks on or tie shoes. I walk like a penguin and can't pick my leg up. Last week they put a steroid shot into the tendon at the top of the leg. So far no change. I am getting worried I will be stuck like this.

Comment from: Rich, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I am a very overweight 57 year old male who was on crutches for two very painful years before having both hips replaced (in separate surgeries) last year (4 months between surgeries). Everything has gone perfectly and I went from not being able to separate my knees by more than an inch to having full, pain-free motion. Today I am walking normally. Lessons learned, insist on the anterior approach, the time to schedule a first surgeon appointment is the moment you start using a cane or other mechanical assistance, and pick your surgeon very carefully. My entire experience was fantastic. I got my life back. Next step, drop this extra weight! Note, your mileage may vary.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my anterior hip replacement on February 24. I tend to push the boundaries. I decided to walk with a crutch 1.5 km within six days of being operated. Within eight days I was back in hospital with severe cramping in the hip joint. The pain was ten out of ten. Within twenty four hours I was home. Backed off considerably and by the fourth week I was riding my road bike in a wind trainer machine. Unfortunately once again I pushed the limit by deciding to drive 250 km to see the Rip Curl Pro at Torquay. After spending several hours driving, walking and watching my hip went into spasm. I then had to work out a way for it to recover and somehow managed to drive home with breaks and eight out of ten pain which subsided after taking paracetamol rapid tablets. The biggest change for a person like me is being able to define what I can manage and what I can't. It is only four weeks and two days.

Comment from: Retired Cop, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I was told 5 years ago that I would need hip replacement in the near future. I put it off thinking that it would get better. Some days it did feel good but it never got better. So I had total hip [anterior] replacement on 2/5/16. I was in the hospital for 1 night. I was up and walking with the walker the afternoon of my surgery. I was on the walker for 2 days, used a cane for 2 days, and had 2 sessions of physical therapy at home. I did all the exercises she gave me and walked around the block [1/2 mile] daily. I saw my doctor at 2 weeks and he said I was doing really well and that if I wanted to I could do some therapy at the rehabilitation center. He also released me to drive. I decided to go to the rehab center and after 3 sessions at the rehab center I was advised that I didn't need to be there because I was so far ahead on my therapy that I could continue my therapy at the fitness center near where I lived. Three times a week I walk one mile on the treadmill and 1/2 mile on the stepper along with doing the exercises I was given. At 4 weeks I was taking short swings with a golf club and putting, and at 5 weeks I took some full swings; and it feels great. At 6 weeks I am going to try bowling. All I can say is, do what your doctor says, do your rehab and don't be a cry baby. Sure it may be painful but it will pay off in the end.

Comment from: tracker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a total hip replacement 4 weeks ago. I walk with a cane now and no pain. Only problem I have is that the leg is approx. 3/8 inch too long which causes me to limp badly. I would walk and stand like a healthy person if proper measurements were taken. I don't know if the new hip is adjustable.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?