Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Madison, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had an anterior approach total hip replacement 13 days ago. They had me up and taking a few steps hours after the surgery. I am using a cane now if I go outside and to help get me in and out of my car but I feel great! My muscles are a little sore but Tylenol helps. I wish I had known this was what was needed and I would have done it months ago!

Comment from: cocoa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a total hip replacement (THR) in February. It was determined that I had soft bones so I was told not to put weight on the right side for 1 month, and at the end of that time to put 1/3 of your body weight the next week, and then 2/3, etc. I walked with a walker for 3 months. Then I went to a cane because the doctor insisted I did. I am still on a cane and this is 5 months and all the other cases I have read, no one uses a cane very long. My thigh (just above my right knee) hurts when I walk very far and sometimes even below my knee will hurt. I have also had two total knee replacements and they are no problem. I am totally frustrated that I can't get rid of the cane. I am afraid I am putting too much stress on my other hip.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had a hip replacement 9 months ago. At first all was ok and recovery seemed to be going well. However my hip joint now seems to be getting stiffer each day and the range of motion more restricted. I don't get pain when standing or even walking, but if I try to bring my leg up to my chest or lean it to the right or left when lying down, the pain is incredible. I am able to cross my legs when sitting, although I know I probably shouldn't; but trying to bend or move my leg inwards or outwards is getting harder every day. All the pain is centered on my hip area and I don't seem to have any pain in my leg.

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had my right hip replaced 7 weeks ago. Recovery has been very smooth and not too painful; pain-killers stopped after 2 weeks. I can walk almost without limping if I concentrate, but there is still a bit of swelling and my leg gets tied in the evening. I have been swimming and use an exercise bike, but only short sessions for now. My general physician was still telling me to hold on and not have it yet, but it was bone on bone and I'm glad I didn't wait longer.

Comment from: ruthj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a 50 year old female and almost five weeks ago I had a double hip replacement. I can get around the house with no crutches but use them outside. I walk about 500 yards a couple of times a day and feel stronger each day. No hip pain just some stiffness and a bit of pulling on the tendons but I guess that is them healing. It was pretty hard going the first two weeks or so but by now I am really happy that I had the two done at once. I have also been up our stairs a few times now. Now looking forward to doing a bit of hill walking over the summer and walking my dogs! Also I have not had a pain killer for three weeks, glad not to be taking them.

Comment from: HMR, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had had two total hip replacements done over the past seven months; the right one on August 30th, 2014, and the left one done on January 30th, 2015. I faithfully did my physiotherapy exercises at home; and have walked one mile a day for the past two weeks! It is great to be rid of the pain; especially getting out of bed or the car! My suggestion to patients facing total hip replacements is to do some research to find the best surgeon that you can! I cannot say enough good things about the young surgeon that performed both my surgeries! My two sisters each had one hip replaced over the past five years by different surgeons, and they both limp! One, with one leg one inch longer than the other! I am an active golfer and look forward to walking the courses this spring, after the pain I endured in the past several seasons!

Comment from: Rick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 43 and had a total hip replacement (anterior approach) on March 3, 2015. One and a half hours after surgery I was walking around the hospital wing and walked up 10 steps and down 10 steps with walker. I went home next day at 12 noon. Two days later I gave up walker for cane and by that Sunday (5 days post-surgery) I was off cane. Three weeks after surgery I bowled. Every day you will feel better! I never even had physiotherapy, and did it myself at home. The worst part is first few nights sleeping. I was off pain medications 2 days post-surgery and just taking naproxen. I am now 5 weeks post and am so far ahead of schedule it is crazy! Everyone should find a doctor that does anterior approach. No muscle or tendon cutting and much faster recovery!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?