Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Suzanne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I'm 77 years young and had a total hip replacement 40 years ago due to osteomyelitis of the femur when I was a year old. It was revolutionary to have a hip replacement so young, but it was done by an amazing doctor. It has lasted all these years because I took very good care of it, never climbing stairs, never jumping, or doing impact aerobics. However, after a strenuous trip to southern Italy where I did climb stairs, and walked 5 miles a day, the hip has failed. Having a hip this old creates its own problems as the materials have caused bone damage. I am anticipating revision surgery very soon and waiting for a second opinion. Last year one of my terrific doctors replaced two knees with amazing results. I am nervous, but beginning pre-surgical exercises and supplements, and trying to get my nerves under control as I anticipate 6 weeks of non-weight bearing. As I live along this will be difficult.

Comment from: Dr Blabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had a total hip replacement (right side) after suffering for nearly 5 years. Two years later, I am now 67. I loved to walk 3.6 miles every single day before, I couldn't anymore (only reason I finally had the surgery). The surgery was smooth, uneventful, and wonderful recovery. But I traded hip/leg/groin pain for back pain. The doctor said to walk through it. And I try. But I can't walk for more than 20 minutes without doubling over from my lower back cramping. One leg is longer than the other and I tried shoe wedges that did not help. I believe everything is out of whack and out of alignment and one thing that does help me is stretching. That nasty piriformis muscle can be annoying. But I do believe that is much of my problem. Occasionally, I feel nerve pain down my legs, so I may have some arthritis trouble included in the mix, but I was so hoping to be pain free after my surgery. I am, as long as I'm not walking. I took 1200 mg of Tylenol and a Norco yesterday before walking. It did nothing. Only relief is to sit down after 15 minutes. Oh, well.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had total hip replacement of the right hip in February 2016 because of arthritis. I was very athletic before the surgery, and had no weight problems. I have been in pain ever since. Even after four months of physical therapy, I am unable to do simple tasks without pain. Ask more questions before your surgery.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a total hip replacement a week ago and no one told me about all of the fluid retention. I already have a little incontinence but for 3 days after surgery I was wearing diapers and having accidents every half hour or so. It was terrible. I have to have other hip replaced in 5 weeks and not excited for short term so need to focus on long term and being able to walk without a walker.

Comment from: Marcia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had left hip replaced last September. I played tennis 3 times a week prior to surgery and was in good shape. I walked the hall 3 hours after surgery, climbed a flight of stairs the following day and went home. I took pain pills for one week and was walking in a week without walker and never used a cane. I waited 6 weeks to go back to tennis. I still have a slight leg length discrepancy despite working out 2 times a week in gym and in pool 2 times a week. I have no pain and am told the legs will be even length eventually. Hips are even!

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my right hip replaced over two years ago. My left hip was worse off with arthritis according to my orthopedist, but because the right was giving me more trouble, I had that one done first. I had trouble immediately after surgery. I had pneumonia, followed by fluid leaking out of the wound that was brownish. I was put on antibiotics for the pneumonia, however, following the fluid leaking from the wound, I ended up with cellulitis in the right leg. My leg was so red and so swollen right down to my toes that I was in agony. I begged for antibiotics but after a week I still was not put on them. They wanted to check me for a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) first. I had an ultrasound of my leg followed by some type of imaging. They found no DVT and all the while I was telling them it was cellulitis. By the time they finally put me on antibiotics they had to put me on the strongest IV one available. This was in rehabilitation. It was the worst experience I've ever had, and I've had a lot of bad surgical and health problems my whole life. The pain in my right hip has persisted until this day; sometimes it is so bad I can't even walk or put any weight on it. If I put weight on it, I fall. I wish I never had it done.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?