Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: tracker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I had a total hip replacement 4 weeks ago. I walk with a cane now and no pain. Only problem I have is that the leg is approx. 3/8 inch too long which causes me to limp badly. I would walk and stand like a healthy person if proper measurements were taken. I don't know if the new hip is adjustable.

Comment from: Rob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I am 12 weeks post left hip replacement. My recovery has been relatively uneventful. I have been bothered by Achilles tendonitis on the non-operative side. I had this prior to the surgery. I am back to the gym and other activities. I have recently found myself feeling a bit blue recently. It's hard to explain. I am wondering if others have experienced this.

Comment from: GreggK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I am 41 and had bilateral hip replacement 5 weeks ago. I went home the day after surgery on crutches with no restrictions besides stopping if it hurt. The swelling has finally subsided but I have been having knee and thigh pain. I have been walking without aid for a week now but need a break after an hour or so. Out of nowhere, today I feel a shooting pain on the anterior of my left thigh and unable to apply weight without pain. My follow up appointment is in two day. Hope it is just par for the course.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total right hip replacement in November of 1995 at the age of 60. Best decision that I have ever made. I was up and walking with walker next morning and have not had pain since the morning before my surgery. Now I am deciding about total knee replacement, and apprehensive about the procedure, but pain is getting worse and I will have to make that decision soon.

Comment from: Ganna47, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I am 16 weeks post operation for total hip replacement (THR). I had a fall and broke my hip so had an emergency THR. I had a spinal tap and recovered from the operation very quickly. Day before being released I had some sort of seizure and my hip and leg went into spasm, so I was in hospital for 17 days and my recovery was held up a little. Since then I have had no problems, followed the advice and did all the exercises, almost free of pain killers, just paracetamol when necessary, but my scar still hurts and I often get pain in my groin and my lower abdomen! No sticks or aids now but I am still finding it difficult to bear weight going up and down stairs. I also find it a little difficult to fully bend, and can't reach my feet. I am not sure what I should be doing at this point of my recovery.

Comment from: artmom57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had total hip replacement on June 1, 2015. I had spinal anesthesia, no catheter, no drain, no staples, and no visible sutures. I was out of bed a couple of hours after surgery. I had the anterior approach. My surgery was on Monday and I went home Wednesday. I felt great from the moment I woke up in the operation room. I had physiotherapy the day after surgery to learn stairs and getting into the car. I used the walker for a few days and went to the cane one week post-operation. I did not need to take prescription pain medications and resumed driving at two weeks. I rode a bike at three weeks and went for a 12 mile ride at four weeks. I could go on and on as I increased my activity level. I continue to feel great and have had the best sleep in more than five years. I was scared going into this but I am thrilled with the results.

Comment from: SLynne1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a total hip replacement last Tuesday and was home on Wednesday. I have been using a walker to get around the house. My pain level is a little worse today and I have no idea of how I 'should' feel. I am on painkillers every 5 hours and have been going up and down the stairs and doing my exercises. I wonder if I am doing too much.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I just wanted to write to tell folks that I had two total hip replacements, one on the right and one on the left; one last summer and one fourteen years ago. I am 56. For the first replacement, I had almost no pain and was on a bike in three weeks. Quite remarkable. For the second replacement, I had tremendous pain for a month and a half. I took a lot of pain killers, suffered from constant migraines (reaction to the anesthesia I think) and my legs were of uneven lengths. I was very depressed and discouraged. I guess I am writing to give people hope and also to know that two experiences can be so different. I am fine now, five months later. I have no arthritic pain and the only thing that hurts still is the scar area if I ride in a car for too long. My walk looks normal though there is still a tiny difference which I am hoping will correct. My message is to have faith that you will heal and work at it. I did lots of physical therapy which I think is really important. Good luck to you all. Best wishes for speedy recoveries.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?