Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had total hip replacement of the right hip in February 2016 because of arthritis. I was very athletic before the surgery, and had no weight problems. I have been in pain ever since. Even after four months of physical therapy, I am unable to do simple tasks without pain. Ask more questions before your surgery.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a total hip replacement a week ago and no one told me about all of the fluid retention. I already have a little incontinence but for 3 days after surgery I was wearing diapers and having accidents every half hour or so. It was terrible. I have to have other hip replaced in 5 weeks and not excited for short term so need to focus on long term and being able to walk without a walker.

Comment from: Marcia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had left hip replaced last September. I played tennis 3 times a week prior to surgery and was in good shape. I walked the hall 3 hours after surgery, climbed a flight of stairs the following day and went home. I took pain pills for one week and was walking in a week without walker and never used a cane. I waited 6 weeks to go back to tennis. I still have a slight leg length discrepancy despite working out 2 times a week in gym and in pool 2 times a week. I have no pain and am told the legs will be even length eventually. Hips are even!

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my right hip replaced over two years ago. My left hip was worse off with arthritis according to my orthopedist, but because the right was giving me more trouble, I had that one done first. I had trouble immediately after surgery. I had pneumonia, followed by fluid leaking out of the wound that was brownish. I was put on antibiotics for the pneumonia, however, following the fluid leaking from the wound, I ended up with cellulitis in the right leg. My leg was so red and so swollen right down to my toes that I was in agony. I begged for antibiotics but after a week I still was not put on them. They wanted to check me for a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) first. I had an ultrasound of my leg followed by some type of imaging. They found no DVT and all the while I was telling them it was cellulitis. By the time they finally put me on antibiotics they had to put me on the strongest IV one available. This was in rehabilitation. It was the worst experience I've ever had, and I've had a lot of bad surgical and health problems my whole life. The pain in my right hip has persisted until this day; sometimes it is so bad I can't even walk or put any weight on it. If I put weight on it, I fall. I wish I never had it done.

Comment from: Forelli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My left hip was replaced exactly 2 years ago, in 2014. I did a lot of pre-habilitation at the gym to strengthen glute muscles. After the surgery I had very little pain. In 1 week I went back to the gym. In 4 months I went back to Middle Eastern dance classes. In 1 year I was able to perform on stage again and begin teaching dance again. After a while you don't even remember you have a new hip; for example I was going into a courthouse and neither I nor security could figure out why the beepers kept going off. After a few minutes my friend said 'oh yeah, it's your hip!'

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had direct approach total hip replacement on 5/3/16. Everything went great and I was up walking that day. After 2 days in the joint center I was discharged home. I had in-home therapy which wasn't bad. Today I went back for my 6 weeks checkup and the doctor discharged me, and said I may be only 6 weeks post operation but I was at the 3 month level. I now can drive and only use the cane for safety on long walks. I was also released from therapy. I know if I had my surgery the old cut down the back of leg way I would not be this far ahead. If you are told you need hip replacement, ask about the anterior direct approach.

Comment from: runboi, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

I had a total hip replacement on the right side in 2012 and it failed. I had a revision surgery in 2013 and ever since then I have been having really bad pain in the joint area. Today I still have these pains and it is sometimes impossible to walk and sometimes I need the use of a cane. I keep going back to the doctor and he reassures me that everything is fine.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?