Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Regret, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a hip replacement about 15 years ago. I now have sciatic nerve damage, no control of my foot, and a terrible limp. In my opinion, if it isn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't have one performed. I really regret mine. I pray this never happens to anyone else.

Comment from: picky05, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My mother is 52 yrs old. She has had 3 hip replacements in the past (2 on the left and 1 on the right, and has walked with a cane and a limp. Ever since she has been in constant pain radiating from her legs and her lower back. Approx 3 weeks ago she found out that she had to have her fourth (and hopefully final) hip replacement on her right hip. This time she has chosen to go with a different doctor. I surely hope this surgery is the one that takes all her pain and stress away!

Comment from: katherine4444, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had both hips replaced due to steroids I had to take for my M.S. The first hip replacement started to give me problems a month after the surgery. I could feel bones moving and pain. I was told that it was still healing. Took numerous X-rays until finally this year, after 6 years of pain; a doctor seen the x rays and found out what was wrong. The glue has broken away in several places and a piece of the replacement stem had worn its way into a bone. This is the short version; believe me when I said I have been hounding many doctors for an answer and had many x-rays done. So what I'm saying is, if you have anything like this happen to you soon after surgery; don't let any one make you think it's in your head or healing. Keep at it till someone listens.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?