Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: tstegora, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

At the age of 35 I had both hips replaced and the doctor said I would be out of work for at least six months,I was back to work in three months on a limited and lite duty basis. If I knew it would have been like this I would have done the surgery many years before!

Comment from: Hobbygems, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a 4'5" 68-year-old achondroplasic (dwarfism) female. I have been on a walker for five years and my hip joint had fused. I finally submitted to a hip replacement on Oct.3, this year. The physician said I was a challenging patient because I am so small. I am now three weeks post op and am feeling wonderful. I have NO pain whatsoever. However, I have followed EVERY instruction given to me. I have had three weeks of home health, and therapy. I am now in my in-patient therapy. I am able to get on a bed, lift both legs even with my thighs and beginning to be more mobile every day. I wish I had not endured pain so long as the procrastination only made me older to have the procedure. I am a Video Relay Interpreter for the deaf and sit a large percentage of the time at my part-time employment. Hopefully I will resume working around the middle of December if my progress continues. I encourage anyone to consider this type of surgery and not prolong the pain. I might add, I did much research before choosing the right orthopedist to do the procedure. He has many years of experience (still young) and has replaced hundreds similar to mine. Thanks for the info on your website which assisted me immensely in making the decision, and preparing me for my surgery.

Comment from: Regret, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had a hip replacement about 15 years ago. I now have sciatic nerve damage, no control of my foot, and a terrible limp. In my opinion, if it isn't absolutely necessary, I wouldn't have one performed. I really regret mine. I pray this never happens to anyone else.

Comment from: picky05, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My mother is 52 yrs old. She has had 3 hip replacements in the past (2 on the left and 1 on the right, and has walked with a cane and a limp. Ever since she has been in constant pain radiating from her legs and her lower back. Approx 3 weeks ago she found out that she had to have her fourth (and hopefully final) hip replacement on her right hip. This time she has chosen to go with a different doctor. I surely hope this surgery is the one that takes all her pain and stress away!

Comment from: katherine4444, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have had both hips replaced due to steroids I had to take for my M.S. The first hip replacement started to give me problems a month after the surgery. I could feel bones moving and pain. I was told that it was still healing. Took numerous X-rays until finally this year, after 6 years of pain; a doctor seen the x rays and found out what was wrong. The glue has broken away in several places and a piece of the replacement stem had worn its way into a bone. This is the short version; believe me when I said I have been hounding many doctors for an answer and had many x-rays done. So what I'm saying is, if you have anything like this happen to you soon after surgery; don't let any one make you think it's in your head or healing. Keep at it till someone listens.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?