Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: mimi9076, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had hip replacement surgery in June 2015 and was doing great. Then suddenly I am needing a cane to walk as it feels like my hip won't support me. This usually happens after sitting even for a few minutes. After walking a few steps it loosens up and then I am ok.

Comment from: Diffie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an anterior total hip replacement 4 weeks ago and doing great. I am walking without a cane. However, I just started noticing my good hip started hurting. My physiotherapist told me this is normal but it feels like a setback.

Comment from: Deb66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had total hip replacement on October 20. I was fine for 3 weeks then started to get pain in my groin just like before surgery. The doctor said it is tendinitis.

Comment from: ria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total hip replacement last November. Everything was great, all checkups and x-rays, until last week when I started having a lot of pain in the hip area; raw burning pain. I thought I had pulled a muscle or something in my back as it was there as well for a while.

Comment from: hoppity, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am just back from seeing a specialist, 18 months after total hip replacement. He can't find anything wrong, there is a piece of bone splintered away from the femur and still attached to muscle showing on x-ray, but he said it couldn't be repaired.

Comment from: David M, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on 26/1. I just walked 400 meters full stride pattern 4/1/15 (on sticks). My background, ex-pro-footballer. My advice, get your pre-operation exercises done and follow what your physiotherapist tells you to do post operation. Do all this and you will be pain free, I'm quiet amazed. I am due right THR later in the year, I can`t wait.

Comment from: kbrenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 47 years old. I had my first hip replaced in January 2014. I spent one night in hospital and went back to work in 2 weeks. In December I am going to have my right hip replaced. I have hip dysplasia. My experience was a great one! Pain free!

Comment from: MimiZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had my left hip replacement three years ago. I am now looking forward to my right hip replacement in 10 days. I know what to expect and can't wait to get rid of that gnawing pain once again. It took a while to diagnose the first hip. The pain was all in my back, so went through treatments, injections, acupuncture, etc. for that. Finally I had a stand up x-ray on my hip and it was discovered. This time it was a slow process of not being able to stretch my leg out, then the gnawing pain began full force. The x-ray confirmed the bone-on-bone arthritis. Just hereditary hip problems.

Comment from: Mohua, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had total hip replacement (THR) surgery 5 months ago and it caused avascular necrosis. Now I have joined my job and can walk but last week I felt pain in the non-operated leg in the knee, and after 3 days I felt pain in my groin joint. I am afraid what is going to happen!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?