Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: lala, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

On January 14, 2014 I had right total hip replacement. The next morning I got up walking and was fine except my left leg was 2 inches shorter. The doctor came in did x-rays and said it was because of my back and pelvis being tilted, so the very next morning they had to re-do the total hip replacement again. Once home, I was doing fine, but 5 weeks later I developed pain up front, from knee up to hip. I limp when walking and am in much pain. I am very active now I frown in pain as I limp along on March 14 2014.

Comment from: Derek, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had left total hip replacement. The operation was on 14th August 2013. Six days after operation I had a dislocation, in the following 2 weeks had 3 more and was in a brace for 4 months. The brace came off 7 weeks ago, seems to be ok. I walk a lot, sometimes have pain and when I sit it feels as if I am sitting on a lump, wondering if it is still early days.

Comment from: Hop-a-long, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a hip replacement January 31, 2014, I am walking with no help. I was in the hospital for 2 nights and went home. I feel great! I am bored at home and ready to go back to work!

Comment from: dwestdewitt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had right total hip replacement in 2006 and left total hip replacement in 2007. At first all was great. Then I developed pneumonia in 2011, was put in hospital and then diagnosed with sepsis in blood as well. Ever since then, my hips hurt extremely when I walk such as in a mall or in grocery store without the aid of a shopping cart to lean on, or if I try to walk at a steady pace.

Comment from: Smartladyinct, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had a left side total hip replacement with a femur elongation due to hip dysplasia from birth. I am now 6 weeks post operation and although I still feel pain, it is relatively controlled with medication, I am able to walk with a slight limp and do most things I did before. My biggest frustration is not knowing when I can try to do certain things that the surgery has originally prevented me from doing.

Comment from: MUSTANGS13, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had 3 operations, 1 total and 2 revisions. I had a car accident and I feel it loosened the hip because it keeps popping out. The doctor says that cannot happen; he says it is defective parts.

Comment from: Hippaingone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a total right hip replacement 11-26-2013. Today will be 3 weeks and 3 days. I am able to walk without a walker or cane. The only pain I have now is surgical pain. My leg is still weak, but I am doing exercises and going to therapy to strengthen my muscles. So I am happy with the success of the surgery.

Comment from: catlover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a hip replacement 10 days ago. I am still in pain, not much strength in the leg, using walker cane as I am unsteady. I will go back to the doctor next week, worried it's not right. I am doing physiotherapy and taking pain pills. I am getting down about it.

Comment from: mkz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had my right hip replaced on Oct 28, 2013. I feel like I should be further along in my recovery than where I am after one month. My left hip is also being replaced and will be done in early December. I am hoping that it's the left hip that is hindering my right hip recovery; leg lengths won't be equal until after next surgery and I have the pain from bone on bone yet. Hoping that being discouraged will change after the other hip is replaced.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?