Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: DoggyMom, 55-64 (Patient) Published: July 24

Quite a journey! After living in denial about my hip pain, I finally succumbed to a THR. Not going to lie-the first 3 days were rough-I couldn't tolerate the pain pills so I just toughed it out. Then, magically, the pain began to improve pretty quickly. 8 days later I went shopping and was able to walk with my cane. The original hip pain is totally gone-what's left is just the residual healing pain from the surgery. Can't wait to see how I'm doing in 3 months!

Comment from: Jewels, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 20

My hip replacement in May 2013 went surprisingly well. I was not in great shape, having retired for almost 10 years from a sedentary office job. Three nasty falls in the previous six months contributed to the pain and weakness. My surgery was on a Monday, with general anesthesia, even though I have COPD. The incision was sealed with glue, not staples. There was never any drainage and hardly any pain at the incision site. About 48 hours later, they moved me from the recovery room with an IV, cath, etc., to the rehab department of the hospital. Rehab therapists worked me up to three hours a day, then in two weeks sent me home with a walker and several meds. Physical therapists and activities of daily living therapists came to my home for two more weeks. My back is fully upright after several years bent over! This was my first major surgery or stay in hospital, so I sure am grateful all those blue-uniformed helpers who are so skilled at their jobs.

Comment from: mimi9076, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had hip replacement surgery in June 2015 and was doing great. Then suddenly I am needing a cane to walk as it feels like my hip won't support me. This usually happens after sitting even for a few minutes. After walking a few steps it loosens up and then I am ok.

Comment from: Diffie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I had an anterior total hip replacement 4 weeks ago and doing great. I am walking without a cane. However, I just started noticing my good hip started hurting. My physiotherapist told me this is normal but it feels like a setback.

Comment from: Deb66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had total hip replacement on October 20. I was fine for 3 weeks then started to get pain in my groin just like before surgery. The doctor said it is tendinitis.

Comment from: ria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had total hip replacement last November. Everything was great, all checkups and x-rays, until last week when I started having a lot of pain in the hip area; raw burning pain. I thought I had pulled a muscle or something in my back as it was there as well for a while.

Comment from: hoppity, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am just back from seeing a specialist, 18 months after total hip replacement. He can't find anything wrong, there is a piece of bone splintered away from the femur and still attached to muscle showing on x-ray, but he said it couldn't be repaired.

Comment from: David M, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on 26/1. I just walked 400 meters full stride pattern 4/1/15 (on sticks). My background, ex-pro-footballer. My advice, get your pre-operation exercises done and follow what your physiotherapist tells you to do post operation. Do all this and you will be pain free, I'm quiet amazed. I am due right THR later in the year, I can`t wait.

Comment from: kbrenna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 47 years old. I had my first hip replaced in January 2014. I spent one night in hospital and went back to work in 2 weeks. In December I am going to have my right hip replaced. I have hip dysplasia. My experience was a great one! Pain free!

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?