Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: arlando, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a total hip replacement in February of 2005. Before the procedure, I was in severe pain for two years. The replacement is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have had no complications whatsoever. However, I am of slender build and went to physical therapy three times a week for a year before the surgery. My recommendation for anyone considering this procedure: Do it!

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a total hip replacement on my right hip on Oct. 8, 2008, at age 53. I went home from the hospital the day of surgery and got rid of the walker the second day. I returned to work in a week and a half. After eight weeks, I can do everything that I did pre-surgery, plus more. I had the minimally invasive surgery and was in no pain post-surgery. I recommend that anyone who is experiencing severe hip problems consider the MIS2 total hip replacement. I had an incredible fast recovery and am restored to my full activities (no more limping, trouble walking, and/or difficulty walking stairs). I have had no complications. It is important that you chose a skilled orthopedic surgeon.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 32 years old and had my right hip replaced on Sept 30, 2008, so I'm only about nine weeks post-operation. I feel really good, so far. Previously, I had two scopes on the same hip in 2007, mostly for labrum tears and some reshaping of the femoral head. Neither one of these scopes seemed to help at all. They might have made the hip pain worse. As it ends up, I did have some arthritis in the joint, and the cartilage had pretty much been shredded. So that, in a nutshell, is how I came to get a new hip. I'm getting ready to go back to work next week. I am a little concerned about that because of the type of work I do. It's not all physical work, but it requires a lot of standing and walking on concrete. So I guess the real test will be next week.

Comment from: driegle, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I had a total hip replacement in January of 2008. I was doing fine, and then I developed a pain in my leg. I went back to my doctor, had X-rays, and then back to therapy. It still hasn't helped. If I turn just right, or step, I have a sharp pain between my hip and knee. Sometimes it is in my hip. I can't do the things that I used to do before the surgery, and I think that I was better off with the shots to relieve the pain. I go back next week to see if an MRI will do any good.

Comment from: Mustangshar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I was 54 last November 2007 when I had my right total hip replacement done. The pain one year prior to my surgery was unbelievable, and two weeks before my surgery date I was using a walker and a cane to get to work. It was nasty. This is a huge surgery, and rehab was difficult for me. I have a leg length discrepancy of half an inch and that made physical therapy even more difficult. Actually, I'm not sure that should have occurred and am looking into it. Overall, yes this surgery is a blessing, but make sure you get the best surgeon. I thought I did, and perhaps I did, but I'm not sure at this point.

Comment from: tstegora, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

At the age of 35 I had both hips replaced and the doctor said I would be out of work for at least six months,I was back to work in three months on a limited and lite duty basis. If I knew it would have been like this I would have done the surgery many years before!

Comment from: Hobbygems, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a 4'5" 68-year-old achondroplasic (dwarfism) female. I have been on a walker for five years and my hip joint had fused. I finally submitted to a hip replacement on Oct.3, this year. The physician said I was a challenging patient because I am so small. I am now three weeks post op and am feeling wonderful. I have NO pain whatsoever. However, I have followed EVERY instruction given to me. I have had three weeks of home health, and therapy. I am now in my in-patient therapy. I am able to get on a bed, lift both legs even with my thighs and beginning to be more mobile every day. I wish I had not endured pain so long as the procrastination only made me older to have the procedure. I am a Video Relay Interpreter for the deaf and sit a large percentage of the time at my part-time employment. Hopefully I will resume working around the middle of December if my progress continues. I encourage anyone to consider this type of surgery and not prolong the pain. I might add, I did much research before choosing the right orthopedist to do the procedure. He has many years of experience (still young) and has replaced hundreds similar to mine. Thanks for the info on your website which assisted me immensely in making the decision, and preparing me for my surgery.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?