Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was 48 years old when I had my left hip replacement. Thirty years of rugby and working on roofs was to blame. I enjoyed both, so I have no regrets. I took the advice of my doctor and had the replacement performed. One year later, and I am still climbing on roofs. I have no pain, and I don't take any medications. My quality of life is fantastic, and I would recommend this operation to anyone in similar pain. Go for it. This is not just for old biddies (no offense). I was walking two miles after three weeks, unaided, and my biggest challenge was putting my own socks on after three months.

Comment from: valencia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 39 years old. I had a total hip replacement surgery on October 2008. The surgery went well. I don't have the pain that I had before surgery. I am a very independent person. I feel helpless at times because I can't do some of the things I used to do. I know it takes time to heal, but I just want to move and walk normal again. Right now, I am still hopping around. I am not comfortable with the cane. I use my walker when I am out, most of the time I am home because I am so afraid that I might fall or someone might push me down or something.

Comment from: arlando, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a total hip replacement in February of 2005. Before the procedure, I was in severe pain for two years. The replacement is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have had no complications whatsoever. However, I am of slender build and went to physical therapy three times a week for a year before the surgery. My recommendation for anyone considering this procedure: Do it!

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a total hip replacement on my right hip on Oct. 8, 2008, at age 53. I went home from the hospital the day of surgery and got rid of the walker the second day. I returned to work in a week and a half. After eight weeks, I can do everything that I did pre-surgery, plus more. I had the minimally invasive surgery and was in no pain post-surgery. I recommend that anyone who is experiencing severe hip problems consider the MIS2 total hip replacement. I had an incredible fast recovery and am restored to my full activities (no more limping, trouble walking, and/or difficulty walking stairs). I have had no complications. It is important that you chose a skilled orthopedic surgeon.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 32 years old and had my right hip replaced on Sept 30, 2008, so I'm only about nine weeks post-operation. I feel really good, so far. Previously, I had two scopes on the same hip in 2007, mostly for labrum tears and some reshaping of the femoral head. Neither one of these scopes seemed to help at all. They might have made the hip pain worse. As it ends up, I did have some arthritis in the joint, and the cartilage had pretty much been shredded. So that, in a nutshell, is how I came to get a new hip. I'm getting ready to go back to work next week. I am a little concerned about that because of the type of work I do. It's not all physical work, but it requires a lot of standing and walking on concrete. So I guess the real test will be next week.

Comment from: driegle, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I had a total hip replacement in January of 2008. I was doing fine, and then I developed a pain in my leg. I went back to my doctor, had X-rays, and then back to therapy. It still hasn't helped. If I turn just right, or step, I have a sharp pain between my hip and knee. Sometimes it is in my hip. I can't do the things that I used to do before the surgery, and I think that I was better off with the shots to relieve the pain. I go back next week to see if an MRI will do any good.

Comment from: Mustangshar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I was 54 last November 2007 when I had my right total hip replacement done. The pain one year prior to my surgery was unbelievable, and two weeks before my surgery date I was using a walker and a cane to get to work. It was nasty. This is a huge surgery, and rehab was difficult for me. I have a leg length discrepancy of half an inch and that made physical therapy even more difficult. Actually, I'm not sure that should have occurred and am looking into it. Overall, yes this surgery is a blessing, but make sure you get the best surgeon. I thought I did, and perhaps I did, but I'm not sure at this point.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?