Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have had both hips replaced. The left in 2000 and the right 2004. The only problem I had with both replacements was muscle spasms. The 1st I did rehabilitation at home and the 2nd one I had Homecare rehab and the pool rehab.

Comment from: Rochelle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am ten weeks out of surgery for total hip replacement (THR) on my right hip, due to avascular necrosis. I am fortunate to have wonderful physical therapists who have helped me immensely, but I continue to have serious pain trying to walk. I'm terribly frustrated and just want this whole experience behind me. I had little to no actual information about what the recovery would entail. My advice to you if you are about to have this surgery: Number one, you cannot be home on your own. Period. You will need long term help with literally everything. Next, you absolutely must begin therapy the minute you are able, and you need the best therapists your area has to offer. Healing the muscles back is a long, slow, painful process. I am not overweight and carefully monitor my diet, but even so I struggle to return to normal. I can't lie... this is very, very difficult and challenging. I try to stay focused on total healing, but it isn't easy. Yet my condition was so bad, I had no choice but to have this done. Prepare yourself mentally for what lies ahead, and know that you will need time to get past it. My husband had been my rock, and I hope you will have someone to help you, too.

Comment from: Patty-O, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had left hip replacement surgery in March, 2014. Everything went very well. So glad I had it done. However, now I am experiencing some aching near the incision area, and if I sit too long I feel the pain go down my leg.

Comment from: Derek, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had total hip replacement on August 14, 2013. I was in hospital for 4 days, 5 days later I had a dislocation followed with 3 more. I was in a brace for 4 months, and out of the brace early January. I have fingers crossed; no more pop outs, but I am still having swelling of the leg, but very little pain. I am using one stick, and hoping for full recovery. Hope this posting will help some other pop out victims.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a total hip replacement on my left leg, now the pain is more from the surgery rather than the hip itself. I am healing quite well, but my main concern is that my left leg seems to be a bit longer then my right, it"s been 2 weeks after surgery. And I wonder is that normal and will it get better.

Comment from: Suzy2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a total hip replacement on 3/3/14. I did not wait until the pain was unbearable, but I could no longer walk for exercise. I have osteoarthritis, and at 63 years of age I didn"t want to stop living a mobile life. It has been 5 weeks and I feel great. I"m still using a walker (until 6 weeks) just to be on the safe side. Your article was spot on for information and help in deciding to have the surgery.

Comment from: maxxcy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had left total hip replacement (THR) on March 5th 2014. The next day I walked to the toilet by myself, there was no hip pain but my knee hurt. I stayed in hospital for 4 days. I went to rehabilitation and stayed 3 1/2 week. I drove on the third week - one time. I can walk with a cane and walker. The pain I had, it took me 1/2 hour to walk 25 feet, crying and depressed. So far my legs seem even, if not later. After I'm well, it beats that pain. Three months of knife pain; thank goodness it"s over. Good Luck.

Comment from: Bigrig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I just had total hip replacement 5 days ago. I seem to have a lot of swelling. I'm getting around good with a walker but the swelling concerns me.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?