Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 54-year-old active man who had my right hip replaced in November of 2008. I spent three days in the hospital, and then I was home. The pain I had is totally gone and after following the doctor's instructions to the letter, I am walking easily without aid after seven weeks. Later, I had the ceramic implant that should last 25 or more years. I expect to be playing golf in the summer as well as long walks and biking. It has been a blessing, and I am looking forward to a long life free of restrictions and pain.

Comment from: lbrown146, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

In September of 2008, I had a total hip replacement of the right hip. I spent almost four days in the hospital and two weeks in rehab. I got along beautifully and had home health therapy come in for two weeks after I got home. I really did not need the home health therapist, but rehab insisted. I discontinued them on my own. The surgical leg is five-eighth inches longer than the non-surgical leg, which has given me a lot of problems, but I see my physician tomorrow and he will send me for a shoe riser. I also have a great deal of numbness in my surgical leg below the knee. It's been more than three months now, and that hasn't gone away. My doctors have no answer for that yet.

Comment from: dimplex, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had my total left hip replacement for 15 years now. I have no pain except when the thigh muscles spasm when I get cold (I avoid cold places now), and when it dislocates occasionally because of the shallower-than-normal socket. All is not perfect, but it is surely better than the relentless pain for years before the surgery. I have remarried since by husband died and life is good! Concentrate on being positive; look at those soldiers who have no legs for hip replacements.

Comment from: orchardblu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

At 29 years of age, I had to get a total hip replacement on my left side due to avascular necrosis (AVN). Eventually, I will need the right hip totally replaced as well. My experience was better than what I thought it would be. The excruciating joint pain I had to deal with for 18 months was gone! The only pain I felt was from the surgery. It has been six months since my surgery, and the only discomfort I have is muscle stiffness.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had a total right hip replacement at age 54 in August of 2002 because of arthritis. Before the surgery, I wasn't able to walk more than 10 paces without taking a break and resting my right foot on my left instep. The post-operative pain wasn't nearly as bad as the pre-operative pain. I followed my therapist's advice to the letter and have had nothing but great results. My surgeon told me I would have a 3/8-inch difference in leg length. He prescribed a 3/8-inch lift for the inside of my shoe. I don't know whether I am the exception to the rule. I do know this: I don't use a cane anymore, and I'm absolutely pain-free.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was 48 years old when I had my left hip replacement. Thirty years of rugby and working on roofs was to blame. I enjoyed both, so I have no regrets. I took the advice of my doctor and had the replacement performed. One year later, and I am still climbing on roofs. I have no pain, and I don't take any medications. My quality of life is fantastic, and I would recommend this operation to anyone in similar pain. Go for it. This is not just for old biddies (no offense). I was walking two miles after three weeks, unaided, and my biggest challenge was putting my own socks on after three months.

Comment from: valencia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am 39 years old. I had a total hip replacement surgery on October 2008. The surgery went well. I don't have the pain that I had before surgery. I am a very independent person. I feel helpless at times because I can't do some of the things I used to do. I know it takes time to heal, but I just want to move and walk normal again. Right now, I am still hopping around. I am not comfortable with the cane. I use my walker when I am out, most of the time I am home because I am so afraid that I might fall or someone might push me down or something.

Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience Question: Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?