Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience

Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.

Comment from: Norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I had a total left hip replacement last September 29th. I only spent 2 days and one night in hospital. I used a walker for a couple of weeks and then a cane for a couple of more weeks after that. I am back to driving and regular activities shortly thereafter. Only lasting problem is squatting down and then getting back up without grabbing onto something. I took physical therapy for a few weeks but honestly don't think it did much good. I am trying my own exercise program now of just squatting down and then 'willing' myself back-up without any assistance. It seems to be working slowly. All in all I am glad I had the replacement.

Comment from: Momo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had anterior total hip replacement 4 weeks ago today. I was in the hospital 24 hours. I walked with a walker 3 hours after the surgery and next day before going home they had me walk with a cane and up and down 15 stairs. I got home and took 2 Tylenols. I had almost no pain, I only had burning around the incision. Two weeks post operation I was able to walk without the cane. Since I did not take narcotics I was allowed to drive after 2 weeks, since it was my left hip and I do the driving only with my right leg. I think having a good surgeon that only does anterior hip replacement is the right way to go. I had to travel 40 plus miles to have this done; worth the trip. Now if I walk too much I get a soreness on my thigh but the doctor says it's been only 4 weeks and probably that will be gone by 8 weeks. I hope this helps somebody make the right decision.

Comment from: Cutecarol1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I had both hips replaced and my left one twice due to an infection. It was a pocket of strep infection. So I'm at a year out from having the second put in twice. I'm having all kinds of pain again. I am having trouble with walking. This has been awful for me. I have one of the best doctors in town, but no bedside manner. I don't want to go back to him. I'm at a loss. I am wondering if I have more infection or maybe in a couple of my falls if I have done something.

Comment from: Pam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Since last July total hip replacement surgery for hip that popped out, I have not been able to walk without a walker. My right hip had a bone over the main bone. I can lift my left leg but can't control my walk without limping. I have been to 4 rehabilitations with no luck in walking normal.

Comment from: jpendrak, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I had been having pain for the past two years in my right hip. I received a new one on July 9, 2014. After the hip replacement surgery the pain was gone. I was able to walk with the help of a walker and went to a cane in two weeks. I've been doing the physiotherapy every day and see improvement every day. I know everyone is different but I would encourage everyone to look into replacement surgery to improve the quality of life. There is a lot to see and do out there.

Comment from: Metro, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I had total hip replacement surgery on May 20th, 2015. I was discharged from the hospital, on May 22nd, 2015 walking! First time in 5 years no hip pain! A totally remarkable success thus far. I am ecstatic I can scarcely contain myself. One down one 2 go. Not the least bit apprehensive. It's just been all good. Thank you so much orthopedic staff!

Comment from: puttrlaid928, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Has been 3 weeks since my surgery and the wound site is still draining - a slightly yellow tinted, odorless fluid. It requires dressing (bandage) to be changed daily, and there is leakage in clothing and bedding. I don't know it is normal.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I had total hip replacement on November 13, 2013. It's been two months of pain free movement, only the scar tissue pain left. I am not using any walking aids now and still have a bit of a limp yet. I expect to be back to work in three more months doing physical labor, pain free.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your total hip replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?