Patient Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Rehab Experience

Please share your experience with the rehabilitation process following total hip replacement surgery.

Comment from: puttrlaid928, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Has been 3 weeks since my surgery and the wound site is still draining - a slightly yellow tinted, odorless fluid. It requires dressing (bandage) to be changed daily, and there is leakage in clothing and bedding. I don't know it is normal.

Comment from: JJ, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I had total hip replacement on November 13, 2013. It's been two months of pain free movement, only the scar tissue pain left. I am not using any walking aids now and still have a bit of a limp yet. I expect to be back to work in three more months doing physical labor, pain free.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had total hip replacement 2 years ago and this year it popped out twice in 5 weeks, I don't know the cause. I am prone to clots and also have heart trouble. The doctor said I must have another hip replacement but his concern is my previous history as I also have cancer.

Comment from: tommy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I had bone to bone contact in both hips, I could hardly walk with two canes. I had (R) hip replaced June 25 2013 now waiting for surgery on the (L) hip about Nov. The day after surgery Doc came in and said how are you I said ready to go home. He said ok, I said that was easy. You pretty much rely on ice bags and pain pills for 3 weeks. I'am not doing P T until I get the next surgery.

Comment from: Geno, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 18

In April of 1988, I underwent THR of the right hip. Avascular necrosis was the reason that I had been walking in pain since 1975, when the pain was first noticed on a grand scale. After the operation, I was in the hospital for a day and a half. then I went home and was visited by a nurse for about two weeks, used a walker and cane until June. I was back at work as a bartender in early July. In 1990, I began doing Chinese Internal Gong Fu (Taijiquan, various modes of Qigong and Xing-I) The pain has not returned and I walk normally for the past 25 years. I still am a Gong Fu practitioner and am grateful to the surgeon who did the operation 25 years ago.

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I had a total hip replacement two weeks ago. I saw my doctor yesterday and he informed me that the rod he placed in my hip has been pushed further into the bone then it should have been. I am concerned and wonder what this means.

Comment from: LELANDPOND, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I've had both hips replaced 15 years ago. The pain before surgery was terrible. They had me up and walking the morning after surgery. To me, it was miraculous. Therapy and to re-build the quad muscle took some time. I consider myself to be a very lucky person.

Comment from: Marine 113, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I'm a 42-year-old man and had a total hip replacement in December of 2012. It has been 3 months since the surgery and I still have severe groin pain. I have trouble lifting my leg up in a marching motion. It's very frustrating. I am an active duty Marine with more than 15 years of experience. With this pain, I don't think I will be able to finish my career. Now the left hip is starting to give me the same pain. I just want to get these hips fixed so that I can get back to living a normal life as much as possible.

Total Hip Replacement - Experience Question: Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.
Total Hip Replacement - Candidate and Causes Question: What caused you to need a total hip replacement?
Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis Question: What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?