Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Cathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

It all started with a sore throat that didn't go away over a few days. Then I had a swollen gland on the left side of my neck. Left ear felt strange, but no pain. I saw the doctor and we both thought it was an ear infection. I went home with antibiotics. Next day I had fever with chills and was throwing up (nausea). This lasted two days. I knew something was really wrong when I had trouble walking the next morning. I walked like I was highly intoxicated but I didn't have anything to drink. It is called vertigo. I went back to my doctor with the aid of my neighbor and the nurse. He looked in my ear and saw the sores and rash. Perplexed (he's a PA, physician's assistant), he brought in the regular doctor. He tested me for nerve damage, looked at my ear and said I have shingles, and to go to the emergency room at the local hospital. They gave me mega doses of anti-viral medicines for three days and two nights. An MRI showed that it wasn't in my brain or my eye. It is called Ramsay Hunt syndrome. I still have a slight vertigo but I am in physical therapy for that. I got a hefty hospital bill. Three months later and my ear still itches. Massive rash and sores never developed. Thank you doctors and nurses.

Comment from: Lilspark, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was squatting down to take laundry out of the washer when something snapped in my knee, it knocked me flat out on my back and everything went black for what felt like just under a minute. I remember screaming in pain when I felt the snap. It took almost an hour for the pain to go down to be able to walk with it. The next day it felt shaky and then over the next several days I started to get sharp pain, aches, giving out of my leg etc. I went for an x-ray and nothing showed up. I also had an ultrasound and am awaiting the results. The physiotherapist did several tests and has diagnosed torn meniscus and possible torn MCL (medial collateral ligament). I'm working on conservative treatment 3 times a week until I can get an MRI which could be months.

Comment from: fredi250, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

Fifteen years ago I shattered my left leg just avoiding amputation, and since that time due to chronic pain I have favored my right leg. Three months ago I had an arthrodesis of the left ankle and until the leg was weight bearing I had to use the right to take all my weight when rising from chairs getting out of bed and began to experience some pain. Given the okay to start using my left leg (no pain after 15 years) and within hours my right knee was absolute agony; multiple tears in meniscus, surgeon has now put me to top of his list for knee replacement, the only real option at my age.

Comment from: Tobin Frost, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I experienced severe onset of pain in the back of my left knee. Pain lasted 36 hours straight, with swelling and inability to walk without a major limp. I went to the doctor, he ordered an MRI, and results showed significant medial meniscus tear and cartilage damage. I had outpatient surgery 4 days ago. Pain levels reduced significantly. I went for physiotherapy yesterday, increasing my range of motion and strengthening my knee joint. No pain medicines or crutches today. Stairs are still tough, but I am starting to get my life back. I am glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have put on some weight the past several years but have still remained active. About 2 years ago my feet started to be very painful after jogging or hiking. A year ago a visit to the doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis. He said that doing the 'toes on the step-lower your heels' exercises would cure me in 30 days. I was 3 weeks into it and feeling pretty good when I had an excruciating pain during the exercises that turned out to be a torn meniscus. Saw another doctor who said I could leave it alone to see if it heals, or have surgery. A year later after numerous re-injuries I'm planning on surgery and hope that it helps. I have been told that the meniscus simply wears out as you get older, so here's hoping the surgery helps. With a torn meniscus I can walk forward, up and down hills for miles and even jog but if I twist the leg the least bit while standing still or raise it up on to a stool while sitting down the result can be severe with swelling, bruising, and incapacitation.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.