Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Nomorepain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had severe pain in my left knee back in 2010. I could hardly walk or do my job at a daycare. MRI revealed I had a torn meniscus. I had surgery to repair it at an outpatient service. I walked out a 1/2 hour after surgery with no pain. I did have severe knee spasm after 3 days along with swelling. However this was brought on by not resting and elevating my leg as I was taking care of my husband who was just diagnosed with cancer. The doctor gave me medicines for the spasm and said I may need knee replacement in 6 months to a year. That was four years this June and I"m still good.

Comment from: FED UP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I started to have knee problems in January 2013, in May I had an x-ray and there was nothing abnormal. I saw a surgeon and a surgery date was set for mid-May. I returned to work in June. I started physiotherapy two weeks after surgery. I was unable to straighten my leg and physiotherapist wondered if I had another meniscus tear. I had an MRI done and there was another tear (not as large). I had surgery in August. I am still unable to straighten leg. Physiotherapist, after massaging, was able to straighten it but once I started to walk it would bend again. My knee started to swell and I was in the hospital with pain. I saw my surgeon 3 weeks after surgery. He took some fluid to test to see if it was septic. There was high white cell count but not septic. Now I am going for another MRI. I think the meniscus is torn again. I feel unstable and have pain all of the time. I am unable to walk up the stairs with bad leg first. What happens if there is another tear! I haven't been able to straighten my leg since April. I asked after last surgery if they should put my leg in some sort of cast so it at least starts out straight.

Comment from: NovelRR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was just diagnosed with a torn medial meniscus. I have had pain for years but recently it has gotten worse. I started noticing that I cannot kneel on that knee without experiencing a sharp shooting pain on the opposite side of where the tear has occurred. I also feel pain in the back of the knee.

Comment from: Old Jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm an avid cyclist, I have strong quadriceps, hamstrings etc. Two weeks ago I knelt down at a grand child's class room visit and could barely get up. To cut a long story short, I had a torn meniscus. I'm prone to clots and one formed behind my knee. After getting on blood thinners the clot went away along with most of the pain. I'm back on my indoor wind load trainer, but not yet up to speed. My inclination is to forego surgery, but that will depend on how quickly, if at all, I can get up to speed on my bicycle. I'll update as appropriate.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I'm 43 years old and consider myself athletic. I started running a few years ago but quit because of what I thought was a problem with my sciatica. I started cross fit about 8 months ago and hurt myself over time. My calves and hamstring became really tight and my leg just wouldn't really respond to any stretches. Going down the stairs was hurting my knee. Suddenly my knee felt really tight and became a little stiff. I was limping but the knee didn't get swollen. I would wake up at night when I was turning in my sleep. The symptoms went away a few days later and after a week of rest I did cross fit again. Immediately I was in pain again and I decided to see a doctor. It turned out that I have a weak core which weakens my hip (that's where my "sciatica" problem came from). As a result my knee didn't get enough support and I eventually hurt myself. I tore my meniscus but didn't need surgery since I responded well to physical therapy. After 4 weeks of rest I went back to cross fit. I modify a lot of exercises and use lesser weights. I would say that I'm about 80% two months after my injury.

Comment from: DG, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I suffered from torn of meniscus. I was running with my friends just for fun, and abruptly felt pain in my knee. However, I was able to walk, run, and sit. Only the pain was the problem. However, no doctor told me that only pain doesn"t mean you need surgery. I mean, every surgery has its defects. Cutting torn meniscus is just cutting them off. Nothing but a short term measurement. During 1 year just after surgery, I was fine. However, I feel pain again and doctors tell me that I"m now with degenerative arthritis. I"m just 26. I"m doomed... So I hope that you should seriously think about surgery or non-surgery. Very important for torn meniscus patients that estimating after-surgery life. Actually I think it is useless especially for younger patients. And it is my personal opinion.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.