Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Supportn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been battling an infestation of head lice for over a month now. The first symptoms that drew my attention was an itchy rash on my wrist. While this is not 'prime lice real estate' it made me aware that that is where my son sometimes rests his head. I checked his head, and yes, he had them. He did not have any symptoms, but apparently I experience contact dermatitis from this condition. I cut both our hair very short and washed everything, but they are still around. I see the feces around my bathroom sink, and now has escalated to the point of depression (which brings me to write of this here). My skin is now really sensitive, as is my patience, itchy. I am fatigued, emotionally drained, and I may be having anxiety attacks. I feel traumatized because now I don't even want to go outside. I had no idea that an experience of this nature would have so many adverse effects on my life. I went to a clinic, and the doctor asked if I had mental health issues. If I didn't then, I guess I do now. I am now depressed by having these bugs dominating my time and attention. It has been more than 2 months and we are still dealing with this condition.

Comment from: Petunia2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I don't know yet what causes my cold hands and feet. It is different in that my feet and hands get extremely cold sensation and I can be sitting in my warm house. Sometimes they are cold in the warmer months as well. I am not diabetic, I believe I have some underlying vascular disorder. I have noticed some changes in my nails, nail color and nail shape.

Comment from: JNH77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I recently had a car accident and due pain, stiffness and swelling I had an MRI done. I learned I have a tear in my right knee lateral meniscus with a parameniscal cyst. My knees are swollen, I have effusions in both knee. It's painful to climb or go down stairs. My knee buckles at times and deep squats are painful and my leg trembles. I'm in physiotherapy but therapist says if I don't feel better within six weeks I will be referred to an orthopedic doctor. I am afraid of needles and hope I won't have to be stuck. A family member says to avoid surgery as long as possible.

Comment from: Cathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

It all started with a sore throat that didn't go away over a few days. Then I had a swollen gland on the left side of my neck. Left ear felt strange, but no pain. I saw the doctor and we both thought it was an ear infection. I went home with antibiotics. Next day I had fever with chills and was throwing up (nausea). This lasted two days. I knew something was really wrong when I had trouble walking the next morning. I walked like I was highly intoxicated but I didn't have anything to drink. It is called vertigo. I went back to my doctor with the aid of my neighbor and the nurse. He looked in my ear and saw the sores and rash. Perplexed (he's a PA, physician's assistant), he brought in the regular doctor. He tested me for nerve damage, looked at my ear and said I have shingles, and to go to the emergency room at the local hospital. They gave me mega doses of anti-viral medicines for three days and two nights. An MRI showed that it wasn't in my brain or my eye. It is called Ramsay Hunt syndrome. I still have a slight vertigo but I am in physical therapy for that. I got a hefty hospital bill. Three months later and my ear still itches. Massive rash and sores never developed. Thank you doctors and nurses.

Comment from: Lilspark, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was squatting down to take laundry out of the washer when something snapped in my knee, it knocked me flat out on my back and everything went black for what felt like just under a minute. I remember screaming in pain when I felt the snap. It took almost an hour for the pain to go down to be able to walk with it. The next day it felt shaky and then over the next several days I started to get sharp pain, aches, giving out of my leg etc. I went for an x-ray and nothing showed up. I also had an ultrasound and am awaiting the results. The physiotherapist did several tests and has diagnosed torn meniscus and possible torn MCL (medial collateral ligament). I'm working on conservative treatment 3 times a week until I can get an MRI which could be months.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.