Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: ccricks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was in a car accident and right after that, I experienced severe burning in the side of my left knee, I noticed pain and swelling the next day and then it seem like my knee was not stable and I had a hard time with my balance like my knee would give away. I have also not been able to straighten it out.

Comment from: Garzaviv, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have a torn meniscus and suffer with sharp pain in a specific spot on my knee. Caused limping due to pain. Used to walk 4 miles/day - 6 days/week - it's been at least a year since I've been able to walk that far. Just went through arthroscopic knee surgery and have great expectations - so far, dong great!

Comment from: olin, 65-74 Male Published: May 20

Developed soreness in right knee over a long period of time when doing swing exercises for golf. Maybe from injury 30 years ago from basketball. I did leg strengthening for my knee and had not had any problems until recently. I have full range of motion, but most pain is when inactive. It is worse at night when I am asleep. Pain is deep and wakens me from deep sleep.

Comment from: snazzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I have torn my meniscus cartilage in both knees a couple of times. It feels like a pop and I feel immediate pain. I have also had one where my knee would lock at 90 degrees and couldn't be moved sometimes for up to 24hrs (extremely painful).

Comment from: what next, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

With my torn meniscus I hear a loud pop, no swelling, but pain on the inside of the knee since hearing the pop.

Comment from: glfadict, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have a torn meniscus (inner right knee), it kept swelling up and I had it drained four times. I am going to have surgery in a few weeks to repair it. I am keeping my fingers crossed as I am an avid golfer, and hope to continue playing.

Comment from: halfmarathoner7, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

My symptoms of a torn meniscus were pain and swelling after running long distances. The pain would subside if I stopped running only to return. I've been unable to hyper-flex or squat for quite a while now with pain and a stuffy feeling in the knee. I also developed a "clicking" or "popping" feeling when walking. I had a partial meniscal and lateral meniscectomy two weeks ago and am extremely pleased with the results. I am able to walk pain free and am back to the elliptical for my cardio workouts. I will be able to return to running in approximately 3 to 4 more weeks.

Comment from: Tee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I had my surgery yesterday for a torn medial meniscus with resulting degeneration and a small globular cyst. I suspect I injured this knee about 8 years ago and it just never bothered me much since. It's only if I turn the wrong way, that the pain is so sharp it stops me dead in my tracks. I hope the surgery worked. I am a bit skeptical. I was on my crutches and putting gentle weight on it, but I happened to turn the wrong way and oh man it was painful far more painful that I have ever felt. If it's repaired, I'm really curious how that's going to heal...

Comment from: Abby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I stepped off a high chair and tore my meniscus. I had surgery done in about six months ago and I still have lots of trouble with it. It feels like it is swelled all the time and hurts when I walk. I can hardly walk on grass or uneven surfaces. I always have pain in it that goes down my leg. I am not happy with the surgery. I even had an injection and it still hurts.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.