Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: donnyg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I first felt knee pain when running three years ago. I never had any knee problems before. My MRI showed moderate arthritis and tears to both medial and lateral meniscus. Pain, swelling, and mobility got increasingly worse, with locking, popping, and instability. I tried Glucosamine, Physio, Synvisc and Cortisone injections, to no avail. I have a surgical consultation next week. I just want to get back to the sports I love -- golf, tennis, squash, badminton, table tennis. At 53, I can't play any of them now. I hope the surgery works.

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My MRI results today said I have a torn meniscus and a partial tear in my ACL. Don't even know what I did...I'm a female mail carrier...About ten days ago my knee started to swell, now swelling is gone, but don't have a lot of pain. Just have to watch going up and down hills and steps.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

With my torn meniscus, I have pain, swelling, clicking, locking, unable to walk long distances, limping, inability to twist and turn, unable to go up and down stairs without pain, and a feeling the joint may give way. I am booked in for arthroscopy, which takes place on Monday.

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

For my torn meniscus, I had knee pain, popping, tightness and trouble getting it to straighten after sitting. Also, I had a feeling that my knee was unstable.

Comment from: none, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 28

I hyper-extended my knee when a patient tried to stab me in the face with a pen. When I flexed my knee, it was OK, but as I straightened it, the back of the knee hurt. I also had pain if there was pressure on the back of my thigh when I was sitting. I had surgery, which helped the first symptom, but the other pain persists.

Comment from: Dario, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 23 years old. The first injury I had to my knee was a year ago where my foot hit the floor quite hard causing my knee to buckle inwards, I remember feeling a pop sensation in my knee. There was immediate pain and swelling for a few days which went down. My MCL was injured and I should have gone for an MRI because I think I also tore my meniscus. I have had problems with my knee feeling like it will give way during sports and recently it was 'locking' so that i could not extend it fully, until it clicked back. Today it locked and was not clicking back into place. I had a very warm bath to make my legs more flexible, then after moving my foot around my knee in a circular motion a heard a few bumps and now I can straighten my knee. I don't know if this is what you're supposed to do but it worked for me.

Comment from: fuciamoon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am on week four after meniscus knee surgery. I hurt it at work squatting to pick up a product. I was told I have big time arthritis in both knees. This confuses me as I have not had any pain. Truthfully, this set back is the only one I have ever had (I am 64), and it really annoys me.

Comment from: Dana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am going in for surgery next week for a torn medial meniscus. I felt a pop when I was twisting while exercising. That was eight months ago and since then I feel like me knee will pop out if I fully straighten my leg; so I don't. I also cannot squat without literally having to pull my body up using pretty much only my arms. I will let you know how the surgery helps.

Comment from: AKV, 35-44 Male Published: January 12

My MRI shows medial meniscus tear after a sports accident happened around 3 months back. Initial Pain subsided after few medicines. Now I do not have any locking of knee or POP sound. However, my concern is that I have pain stretching from the buttocks through the calf of the left leg. There is no pain in the Knee though and it gives a feeling of a muscle pain. Sharing any advice/experience would be helpful.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.