Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Dario, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 23 years old. The first injury I had to my knee was a year ago where my foot hit the floor quite hard causing my knee to buckle inwards, I remember feeling a pop sensation in my knee. There was immediate pain and swelling for a few days which went down. My MCL was injured and I should have gone for an MRI because I think I also tore my meniscus. I have had problems with my knee feeling like it will give way during sports and recently it was 'locking' so that i could not extend it fully, until it clicked back. Today it locked and was not clicking back into place. I had a very warm bath to make my legs more flexible, then after moving my foot around my knee in a circular motion a heard a few bumps and now I can straighten my knee. I don't know if this is what you're supposed to do but it worked for me.

Comment from: fuciamoon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I am on week four after meniscus knee surgery. I hurt it at work squatting to pick up a product. I was told I have big time arthritis in both knees. This confuses me as I have not had any pain. Truthfully, this set back is the only one I have ever had (I am 64), and it really annoys me.

Comment from: Dana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am going in for surgery next week for a torn medial meniscus. I felt a pop when I was twisting while exercising. That was eight months ago and since then I feel like me knee will pop out if I fully straighten my leg; so I don't. I also cannot squat without literally having to pull my body up using pretty much only my arms. I will let you know how the surgery helps.

Comment from: AKV, 35-44 Male Published: January 12

My MRI shows medial meniscus tear after a sports accident happened around 3 months back. Initial Pain subsided after few medicines. Now I do not have any locking of knee or POP sound. However, my concern is that I have pain stretching from the buttocks through the calf of the left leg. There is no pain in the Knee though and it gives a feeling of a muscle pain. Sharing any advice/experience would be helpful.

Comment from: captain tony, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

Just found out I have a torn meniscus. Needs surgery to repair. It started a month ago and I thought it was sciatic nerve with pain stretching from the buttocks through the calf of the left leg. Doc said torn meniscus can mimic sciatic. He was right. It will take about 3 weeks after operation before I can return to work.

Comment from: Army Specialist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I injured my knee 9 months ago during convoy duty in southern Afghanistan. The truck hit a 3ft deep ditch going about 20MPH. My worst injury was from being "pulled" into the truck and hitting my knee. I have just been told last week it is a Meniscus tear. The Physical therapy and cortisone shot have not helped. At this point I may have to return to the doctor for more options. This article has been very helpful. Now to see what this does to my military career.

Comment from: claris, 19-24 (Patient) Published: November 21

My knee was locking for over a year, where I couldn't straighten it, someone would have to straighten it for me and it would pop and be very painful. Finally I had an operation after 3 MRI scans that didn't show anything! I had a lateral torn meniscus. I've had my surgery done nearly 2 years ago now and my knee's still not good, can't bend it past 90 degrees, or kneel back on it and I get random pains still. I'm only 19 and very sporty and can't do all the things in training due to my knee!

Comment from: midnight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I fell 10 months ago on black ice knee pain started the next day, felt a pop. Went through physical therapy nothing helped constant pain. Had knee surgery for torn meniscus 100 percent better after surgery can't believe it.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.