Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: tom wilde, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

When I was 22 I used my leg to slow me down while roller-blading. I heard a loud pop and my knee continued to swell for several days. I didn't have insurance so I did nothing. Twenty years later I was 70 pounds overweight, and took up jogging. The pain is ok if I skip every other day. I run 20-30 miles a week now. I have lost 60 pounds, and that helps all over pain, but my knee is still quite painful.

Comment from: bestdaever, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I fell down the stairs about three months ago and hurt my left knee. Since then I have slipped and twisted it 4 or 5 times. The pain is severe and I can hardly walk. There is severe burning and swelling is bad. I had an MRI and the doctor is sure it's a tear. I see him again on Tuesday. This interferes with every bit of life.

Comment from: brazilicus, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

About 15 years ago, I was running with my toddler son in an open field and stepped in a hole, twisting my knee. Severe pain immediately followed. I thought I had just twisted it. The pain eventually went away after a week, but it would flare-up after that. When it flared, I was unable to bend my knee without intense pain and my knee felt tight. There was also a very palpable spot medially that would topple me if pressed. But the flare-up always disappeared after a few days. The flare-ups began to increase in their severity, so I consulted an orthopedic surgeon I worked with. X-rays were inconclusive but an MRI found a significant medial meniscus tear. I had a 'scope-n-scrape' and returned to work missing just one day. The knee felt fine for over a year. But the flare-ups returned. I dealt with it for years until the severity reached an unbearable level. I had another MRI and another tear was discovered. I had another 'scope-scrape.' I am not an athletic person nor am I an obese person. But after fifteen years I am now scheduled for a fourth 'scope-n-scrape.' They relieve the situation for a year or two but tears keep appearing. Hopefully this one will be the last.

Comment from: donnyg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I first felt knee pain when running three years ago. I never had any knee problems before. My MRI showed moderate arthritis and tears to both medial and lateral meniscus. Pain, swelling, and mobility got increasingly worse, with locking, popping, and instability. I tried Glucosamine, Physio, Synvisc and Cortisone injections, to no avail. I have a surgical consultation next week. I just want to get back to the sports I love -- golf, tennis, squash, badminton, table tennis. At 53, I can't play any of them now. I hope the surgery works.

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My MRI results today said I have a torn meniscus and a partial tear in my ACL. Don't even know what I did...I'm a female mail carrier...About ten days ago my knee started to swell, now swelling is gone, but don't have a lot of pain. Just have to watch going up and down hills and steps.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

With my torn meniscus, I have pain, swelling, clicking, locking, unable to walk long distances, limping, inability to twist and turn, unable to go up and down stairs without pain, and a feeling the joint may give way. I am booked in for arthroscopy, which takes place on Monday.

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

For my torn meniscus, I had knee pain, popping, tightness and trouble getting it to straighten after sitting. Also, I had a feeling that my knee was unstable.

Comment from: none, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 28

I hyper-extended my knee when a patient tried to stab me in the face with a pen. When I flexed my knee, it was OK, but as I straightened it, the back of the knee hurt. I also had pain if there was pressure on the back of my thigh when I was sitting. I had surgery, which helped the first symptom, but the other pain persists.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.