Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: zippymenyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

When I tore my meniscus I heard a loud pop and experience tenderness to the touch on the medial side of the knee joint (similar to the way a bruise feels).

Comment from: seaski, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Just got diagnosed with torn meniscus. My leg felt tight around my knee (like I had an ace bandage on it) and I thought it was tight muscles. Over did the walking, running and lifting. One slight turn and I had major pain. Hopefully RICE and physical therapy will help.

Comment from: mimix1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I just found out I have a torn meniscus. The pain has been getting progressively worse over the last few months. I have to hold my leg stiff. If I keep my foot on the floor and try to turn my leg, the pain is excruciating. Sometimes, just sitting is bothersome. I may also have a Baker's cyst behind the knee. I'm having physical therapy. I was told surgery is not usually performed on tears unless it was caused by some sort of sport injury.

Comment from: Torn Up, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was bending down doing some gardening, came up and twisted my knee – felt immediate pain. I could hardly walk. When I put pressure on my leg, my knee hurt. That was almost three weeks ago. I found out I have a torn meniscus and need surgery. It still hurts, and I can't bend my knee very well without it hurting. I can walk OK if I keep my one leg straight, but I am walking funny so my back hurts now. I was told I could go on vacation and do surgery when I get back, but I think it might get worse.

Comment from: gladys, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 26

My knee was scoped in October 13. I have had single shots and one for a week, for three weeks. I am still hopping around.

Comment from: Raels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

After taking a fall 6 weeks ago initial swelling has gone down but still unable to straighten and bend knee. MRI showed torn medial meniscus and partial tear to ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament). I will be having arthroscopic surgery in a week.

Comment from: gwapa50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

A month ago my left knee just popped and clicked and I couldn't walk for 3 days. I had to drag my legs to walk. My doctor diagnosed that I have a torn cartilage meniscus and thinks I need a surgery.

Comment from: Limpy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had mine repaired Wednesday. By Friday I really could have returned to work. My doc said I would walk out after surgery, but not so. You get taken out by wheelchair. Pop the pain pills the first day... You won't really need them after that. And don't, absolutely don't eat anything after midnight the night before! Even a cup of coffee might have them cancel you!

Comment from: majicjeani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a sharp pain in back of the knee.

Comment from: Jb65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 65 years old. Three weeks ago, I stepped off a platform about 24 inches high and my left knee gave out. No pain; I just could not put my full weight on my leg. The same thing happened 32 years ago. I believe originally I had a torn meniscus, but never had surgery. The first time my knee was swollen (had to have blood drained). Now the pain is a 2 on a scale of 1-10. I see my doctor next week.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.