Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: skidz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 18 and about two months ago I jumped off the back of a truck, and when I landed, my knee popped and gave out on me, and for the next few hours, it popped a couple dozen times, after which my knee locked up and I could barely walk for weeks. I've had x-rays done, but I still kept popping it. Each time it pops it takes me longer to get back up. My doctor is certain that I have a torn meniscus, and had me have an MRI now I am waiting to hear back about whether I will have to have surgery or not.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female Published: May 03

I don't know when I tore my meniscus but believe I have had it for a long time, but was undiagnosed until recently. I coped, with the assistance of anti-inflammatory meds which were the cure all for everything. I am on BP medication and was advised to cease anti-inflammatory medication and take paracetamol as the alternate. My condition is now more pronounced and debilitating. I experience severe burning in the side of my knee, swelling, clicking, locking, unable to walk long distances, limping, inability to twist and turn, unable to go up and down stairs without pain, and a feeling the joint may give way. At night when I am asleep, the pain can wake me. Swimming and using an exercise bike for knee rotation helps relieve symptoms but doesn't cure the condition. I have a referral for arthroscopy and waiting for a hospital booking.

Comment from: brotherlea, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I'm a 60 year old male and believe that walking fast two days in a row while overweight (220 pounds) caused a torn meniscus. I continued walking during the days that followed, but because I favored the painful knee, probably caused injury to the other knee from overuse. Both of my knees became so painful that I was essentially house bound for a month. I did some research and found that mega doses of vitamin C helps strengthen connective tissue, and mega doses of vitamin B3 (niacin) and niacinamide can reduce and reverse arthritis. I had nothing to lose and after a month, both knees had recovered enough that I returned to walking for exercise. I don't favor having tissue removed from my body over helping a body to repair itself.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About eighteen months ago I was on my haunches when I heard a loud crack and at the same time, intense pain in my right knee. A scan showed a torn meniscus and it was treated conservatively with the only result that my knee clicked less often and less painfully. About 2 months ago, I ruptured the Achilles tendon on my left heel, requiring surgery to repair it. I'm on crutches, being unable to use my left foot and that has put major strain on my right knee. I am now at the stage that every time I straighten my knee, it clicks. I also have to make sure I click it before I get up, otherwise it doesn't click back and I collapse. Wish I'd had surgery at the time. I'm sure I need it now.

Comment from: geniusdart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus and a small cyst in the same area. I can walk for miles and go about my daily routine with no pain whatsoever, nor have I had any swelling. The only time I am bothered is when I stoop down to the ground as in pulling weeds or a similar activity. I have intense pain in my knee trying to stand up using that leg. I have to use my arms to help myself get back up. I am having surgery today and I sure hope it helps. I will let everyone know the results.

Comment from: LTully, Female (Patient) Published: October 14

This is my second arthroscopy. My knee area would swell, if I moved in a way that allowed a piece of meniscus to float between the joint - THAT would cause some serious pain. All activity stopped till that piece moved away. The surgeon said the meniscus was in shreds, some cartilage worn away - some bone on bone. I'm only 56, I want to move, walk, hike. I wish I had read this article on Web MD sooner; I would have worked on muscle strength more before yesterday's surgery.

Comment from: Angelistic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My knee would often feel like it has to crack, but most times it doesn't. When I'm getting up from squatting, or going to go up stairs it feels like it's going to give way. Feels tight at the back of the knee, at the muscles/tendons.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.