Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Limpy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I had mine repaired Wednesday. By Friday I really could have returned to work. My doc said I would walk out after surgery, but not so. You get taken out by wheelchair. Pop the pain pills the first day... You won't really need them after that. And don't, absolutely don't eat anything after midnight the night before! Even a cup of coffee might have them cancel you!

Comment from: majicjeani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a sharp pain in back of the knee.

Comment from: Jb65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 65 years old. Three weeks ago, I stepped off a platform about 24 inches high and my left knee gave out. No pain; I just could not put my full weight on my leg. The same thing happened 32 years ago. I believe originally I had a torn meniscus, but never had surgery. The first time my knee was swollen (had to have blood drained). Now the pain is a 2 on a scale of 1-10. I see my doctor next week.

Comment from: gailc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

My meniscus tear occurred at work when I was crouched under some shelving and was trying to get out. I knew right away that I had done something. I was unable to put my foot to the ground and when a work mate tried to help, the pain was severe and I thought I was going to pass out. I am still in the middle of getting treatment and waiting to see a specialist. So, I'm not quite sure at this stage if I need surgery.

Comment from: lanelocust48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

My symptoms are: clicking when I bend my knee, inability to put weight on my knee, not able to straighten out my knee without having pain, painful to climb stairs, not able to walk much, when walking sometimes the knee just gives out. I have had the MRI. The MRI did show that I have a meniscus torn in two different places, so therefore, the arthoscopy is definitive. The orthopedic doctor told me that he has to clip off the meniscus that due to where the injuries are at, they will not heal due to the lack of blood supply. There is no option for me. I waited for several months before I consulted with the orthopedic doctor thinking the injury would heal on it's own.

Comment from: rikidog, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I tore my meniscus in karate class. I can barely walk because it hurts. I can't straighten my knee all the wall either. I've been on crutches for almost two weeks now and am having surgery next Friday. I don't want to have surgery, but it stinks to have to wait that long, hobbling around school on crutches with a backpack that ways some 30 pounds. I just turned fifteen so the doctor says the repair should heal well, and the tear is on the outside where there's a good blood supply. I think he said he's not going to actually cut any of the meniscus off. I really with I hadn't done so much research. I'm freaked out now.

Comment from: Malyra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

About 2 months ago as I was going to dinner with my husband when my left knee popped and gave way. It took a week before I was able to start walking well again with limitations. This past Friday I had the arthroscope done to repair the tears, and the first night was quite painful, but I woke up Saturday morning with very little pain and can walk better than before I had surgery, even though I still uses crutches for stability. If your orthopedist says it needs to be repaired surgically I strongly suggest having it done!

Comment from: Hillbillie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had surgery a week and a day ago. I have been walking on the leg since the day of surgery, as the surgeon told me, as tolerated, for the walking. My knee, thigh and calf are still swollen and very painful with black bruises. Looks like someone beat my leg with a two by four. I am concerned because of all the muscle pain and bruises. I was trying to find a web site that actually walked me thru the surgery, so I would know what was done to me.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.