Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Basically all I felt with torn meniscus was stiffness. I thought I had arthritis but after the MRI it showed damaged meniscus. I got a shot of cortisone 6 months ago that helped tremendously. I am going to get the surgery within the next month as the shot is slowly wearing off.

Comment from: Danaesppl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I noticed that I had pain just to the left and below my right knee. When I walked on it, it was slightly painful. One day, a few weeks after this, I went on a hike with my young niece. There were a ton of stairs as you came out of the mountain, which I did carrying my small niece. As we "bounced" down the stairs I started to notice my knee getting more painful with every step. By the time we got to the bottom I could hardly move my knee it was very painful (left side below my knee).

Comment from: m. Deal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I would like to share my experience with my meniscus tear. About two years ago I was running full speed on uneven ground when I stepped in a small hole that caused my knee to hyper-extend and after about a week or so I felt tenderness in my right knee joint area. I went to see a doctor and I got an ex-ray and they told me my knee was fine. So for the next two years I continued to work in construction. Back in January I was walking up and down the stair case constantly for about 2 months at a four story building we were working on and suddenly my tender knee started to ache more and more. So I made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor and they did an MRI scan back in August of this year and they found significant tear of my anterior meniscus. The orthopedic doctor made an immediate schedule for my surgery and my surgery was in September. I am glad that I had my torn meniscus fixed because it caused my knee to lock up while I was sleeping at night.

Comment from: chiefgsa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I started having knee pain at 10 AM. Around 1:30PM I went to walk down the stairs and my left knee gave out. I went and had an x-ray and they manipulated it and the doctor said I probably have a torn meniscus. I go for an MRI in 3 days. I have been using a knee immobilizer for 2 days and it feels better.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 60 and have a torn meniscus in my right knee. I injured my knee in a weight lifting class that had recently added jumping. The next night at bedtime was the first initial pain. I knew after five weeks I was not getting better. I was in constant pain with limping and difficulty going downstairs or downhill. After 3 visits to an orthopedic surgeon and an MRI, I will have to have surgery. Presently, I am not in pain all day long but there is never a day that I am not reminded that I have this injury.

Comment from: Muaythai injury, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had a popping knee for sometime from my torn meniscus. I was squatting to play with my son and the knee locked in excruciating pain and I can't straighten it.

Comment from: lajbk104, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had trouble with my knees since I was 11 degenerative artistes is the diagnosis today, about four weeks ago I was having some right knee pain from a long walk I took the day before. I had to be careful when I went outside as not to step into a dip in the lawn because that made it hurt more. On April 28 I was out in the yard picking up sticks before my son was going to mow and there was a work bench table top that had been in the lawn all winter/spring. I went to drag it off the lawn about 5 feet is all I had to go but when I stepped with my right leg with the weight of the top my right knee just popped I heard it and felt it as my knee buckled under me and down I went. I went to the ER and had to use crutches for 3 days and I had an MRI and I have two tears in my meniscus. I am very limited as what I can do I have to stay off my row machine until I see the ortho doc. Having therapy now and not sure what the doc will say.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.