Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: geniusdart, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus and a small cyst in the same area. I can walk for miles and go about my daily routine with no pain whatsoever, nor have I had any swelling. The only time I am bothered is when I stoop down to the ground as in pulling weeds or a similar activity. I have intense pain in my knee trying to stand up using that leg. I have to use my arms to help myself get back up. I am having surgery today and I sure hope it helps. I will let everyone know the results.

Comment from: LTully, Female (Patient) Published: October 14

This is my second arthroscopy. My knee area would swell, if I moved in a way that allowed a piece of meniscus to float between the joint - THAT would cause some serious pain. All activity stopped till that piece moved away. The surgeon said the meniscus was in shreds, some cartilage worn away - some bone on bone. I'm only 56, I want to move, walk, hike. I wish I had read this article on Web MD sooner; I would have worked on muscle strength more before yesterday's surgery.

Comment from: Angelistic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My knee would often feel like it has to crack, but most times it doesn't. When I'm getting up from squatting, or going to go up stairs it feels like it's going to give way. Feels tight at the back of the knee, at the muscles/tendons.

Comment from: zippymenyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

When I tore my meniscus I heard a loud pop and experience tenderness to the touch on the medial side of the knee joint (similar to the way a bruise feels).

Comment from: seaski, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Just got diagnosed with torn meniscus. My leg felt tight around my knee (like I had an ace bandage on it) and I thought it was tight muscles. Over did the walking, running and lifting. One slight turn and I had major pain. Hopefully RICE and physical therapy will help.

Comment from: mimix1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I just found out I have a torn meniscus. The pain has been getting progressively worse over the last few months. I have to hold my leg stiff. If I keep my foot on the floor and try to turn my leg, the pain is excruciating. Sometimes, just sitting is bothersome. I may also have a Baker's cyst behind the knee. I'm having physical therapy. I was told surgery is not usually performed on tears unless it was caused by some sort of sport injury.

Comment from: Torn Up, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was bending down doing some gardening, came up and twisted my knee – felt immediate pain. I could hardly walk. When I put pressure on my leg, my knee hurt. That was almost three weeks ago. I found out I have a torn meniscus and need surgery. It still hurts, and I can't bend my knee very well without it hurting. I can walk OK if I keep my one leg straight, but I am walking funny so my back hurts now. I was told I could go on vacation and do surgery when I get back, but I think it might get worse.

Comment from: Raels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

After taking a fall 6 weeks ago initial swelling has gone down but still unable to straighten and bend knee. MRI showed torn medial meniscus and partial tear to ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament). I will be having arthroscopic surgery in a week.

Comment from: gwapa50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

A month ago my left knee just popped and clicked and I couldn't walk for 3 days. I had to drag my legs to walk. My doctor diagnosed that I have a torn cartilage meniscus and thinks I need a surgery.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.