Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Bless17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After meniscus tear, I wonder how long it takes for your knee to heal. I'm still having some pain and swelling.

Comment from: Selena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am a mid-life active woman who fell 1 month ago. I had an MRI 1 week ago which confirmed a meniscus tear medially of left knee. I don't have much pain, just clicking in the knee. I am very holistic so I did some research on taking homeopathic remedies; Ruta for sprain and tendonitis and Symphytum for bone knitting. I did see a difference within 1 day. I will be going for an evaluation with an orthopedic specialist in 3 weeks and going to opt out of surgery as long as I can. My chiropractor put me back on icing and heat alternating and it has been fantastic for the healing process. He also said no repetitive exercises, like knee bends. I am doing leg lifts and stretching and a lot of resting. Each day it gets stronger.

Comment from: DG, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I suffered from torn of meniscus. I was running with my friends just for fun, and abruptly felt pain in my knee. However, I was able to walk, run, and sit. Only the pain was the problem. However, no doctor told me that only pain doesn"t mean you need surgery. I mean, every surgery has its defects. Cutting torn meniscus is just cutting them off. Nothing but a short term measurement. During 1 year just after surgery, I was fine. However, I feel pain again and doctors tell me that I"m now with degenerative arthritis. I"m just 26. I"m doomed... So I hope that you should seriously think about surgery or non-surgery. Very important for torn meniscus patients that estimating after-surgery life. Actually I think it is useless especially for younger patients. And it is my personal opinion.

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Basically all I felt with torn meniscus was stiffness. I thought I had arthritis but after the MRI it showed damaged meniscus. I got a shot of cortisone 6 months ago that helped tremendously. I am going to get the surgery within the next month as the shot is slowly wearing off.

Comment from: Danaesppl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I noticed that I had pain just to the left and below my right knee. When I walked on it, it was slightly painful. One day, a few weeks after this, I went on a hike with my young niece. There were a ton of stairs as you came out of the mountain, which I did carrying my small niece. As we "bounced" down the stairs I started to notice my knee getting more painful with every step. By the time we got to the bottom I could hardly move my knee it was very painful (left side below my knee).

Comment from: m. Deal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I would like to share my experience with my meniscus tear. About two years ago I was running full speed on uneven ground when I stepped in a small hole that caused my knee to hyper-extend and after about a week or so I felt tenderness in my right knee joint area. I went to see a doctor and I got an ex-ray and they told me my knee was fine. So for the next two years I continued to work in construction. Back in January I was walking up and down the stair case constantly for about 2 months at a four story building we were working on and suddenly my tender knee started to ache more and more. So I made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor and they did an MRI scan back in August of this year and they found significant tear of my anterior meniscus. The orthopedic doctor made an immediate schedule for my surgery and my surgery was in September. I am glad that I had my torn meniscus fixed because it caused my knee to lock up while I was sleeping at night.

Comment from: chiefgsa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I started having knee pain at 10 AM. Around 1:30PM I went to walk down the stairs and my left knee gave out. I went and had an x-ray and they manipulated it and the doctor said I probably have a torn meniscus. I go for an MRI in 3 days. I have been using a knee immobilizer for 2 days and it feels better.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.