Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 60 and have a torn meniscus in my right knee. I injured my knee in a weight lifting class that had recently added jumping. The next night at bedtime was the first initial pain. I knew after five weeks I was not getting better. I was in constant pain with limping and difficulty going downstairs or downhill. After 3 visits to an orthopedic surgeon and an MRI, I will have to have surgery. Presently, I am not in pain all day long but there is never a day that I am not reminded that I have this injury.

Comment from: Muaythai injury, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had a popping knee for sometime from my torn meniscus. I was squatting to play with my son and the knee locked in excruciating pain and I can't straighten it.

Comment from: lajbk104, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had trouble with my knees since I was 11 degenerative artistes is the diagnosis today, about four weeks ago I was having some right knee pain from a long walk I took the day before. I had to be careful when I went outside as not to step into a dip in the lawn because that made it hurt more. On April 28 I was out in the yard picking up sticks before my son was going to mow and there was a work bench table top that had been in the lawn all winter/spring. I went to drag it off the lawn about 5 feet is all I had to go but when I stepped with my right leg with the weight of the top my right knee just popped I heard it and felt it as my knee buckled under me and down I went. I went to the ER and had to use crutches for 3 days and I had an MRI and I have two tears in my meniscus. I am very limited as what I can do I have to stay off my row machine until I see the ortho doc. Having therapy now and not sure what the doc will say.

Comment from: skidz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am 18 and about two months ago I jumped off the back of a truck, and when I landed, my knee popped and gave out on me, and for the next few hours, it popped a couple dozen times, after which my knee locked up and I could barely walk for weeks. I've had x-rays done, but I still kept popping it. Each time it pops it takes me longer to get back up. My doctor is certain that I have a torn meniscus, and had me have an MRI now I am waiting to hear back about whether I will have to have surgery or not.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female Published: May 03

I don't know when I tore my meniscus but believe I have had it for a long time, but was undiagnosed until recently. I coped, with the assistance of anti-inflammatory meds which were the cure all for everything. I am on BP medication and was advised to cease anti-inflammatory medication and take paracetamol as the alternate. My condition is now more pronounced and debilitating. I experience severe burning in the side of my knee, swelling, clicking, locking, unable to walk long distances, limping, inability to twist and turn, unable to go up and down stairs without pain, and a feeling the joint may give way. At night when I am asleep, the pain can wake me. Swimming and using an exercise bike for knee rotation helps relieve symptoms but doesn't cure the condition. I have a referral for arthroscopy and waiting for a hospital booking.

Comment from: brotherlea, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I'm a 60 year old male and believe that walking fast two days in a row while overweight (220 pounds) caused a torn meniscus. I continued walking during the days that followed, but because I favored the painful knee, probably caused injury to the other knee from overuse. Both of my knees became so painful that I was essentially house bound for a month. I did some research and found that mega doses of vitamin C helps strengthen connective tissue, and mega doses of vitamin B3 (niacin) and niacinamide can reduce and reverse arthritis. I had nothing to lose and after a month, both knees had recovered enough that I returned to walking for exercise. I don't favor having tissue removed from my body over helping a body to repair itself.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

About eighteen months ago I was on my haunches when I heard a loud crack and at the same time, intense pain in my right knee. A scan showed a torn meniscus and it was treated conservatively with the only result that my knee clicked less often and less painfully. About 2 months ago, I ruptured the Achilles tendon on my left heel, requiring surgery to repair it. I'm on crutches, being unable to use my left foot and that has put major strain on my right knee. I am now at the stage that every time I straighten my knee, it clicks. I also have to make sure I click it before I get up, otherwise it doesn't click back and I collapse. Wish I'd had surgery at the time. I'm sure I need it now.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.