Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: NovelRR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was just diagnosed with a torn medial meniscus. I have had pain for years but recently it has gotten worse. I started noticing that I cannot kneel on that knee without experiencing a sharp shooting pain on the opposite side of where the tear has occurred. I also feel pain in the back of the knee.

Comment from: Old Jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm an avid cyclist, I have strong quadriceps, hamstrings etc. Two weeks ago I knelt down at a grand child's class room visit and could barely get up. To cut a long story short, I had a torn meniscus. I'm prone to clots and one formed behind my knee. After getting on blood thinners the clot went away along with most of the pain. I'm back on my indoor wind load trainer, but not yet up to speed. My inclination is to forego surgery, but that will depend on how quickly, if at all, I can get up to speed on my bicycle. I'll update as appropriate.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I'm 43 years old and consider myself athletic. I started running a few years ago but quit because of what I thought was a problem with my sciatica. I started cross fit about 8 months ago and hurt myself over time. My calves and hamstring became really tight and my leg just wouldn't really respond to any stretches. Going down the stairs was hurting my knee. Suddenly my knee felt really tight and became a little stiff. I was limping but the knee didn't get swollen. I would wake up at night when I was turning in my sleep. The symptoms went away a few days later and after a week of rest I did cross fit again. Immediately I was in pain again and I decided to see a doctor. It turned out that I have a weak core which weakens my hip (that's where my "sciatica" problem came from). As a result my knee didn't get enough support and I eventually hurt myself. I tore my meniscus but didn't need surgery since I responded well to physical therapy. After 4 weeks of rest I went back to cross fit. I modify a lot of exercises and use lesser weights. I would say that I'm about 80% two months after my injury.

Comment from: SC golf, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I first suspected torn meniscus in February 2013, the day after playing pickup hoops for 3 hours. I couldn't get out of the car or out of chair without pain. I iced it and rested it for 2 to 3 months and it got better. I played hoops again in September 13, and same thing happened, only worse the next day. I got it checked with MRI and confirmed torn meniscus. The doctor couldn't do surgery for 2.5 weeks due to his schedule. I am now recovering 3 weeks later, and doing leg lifts with no weight, leg curls with no weight and a range of motion exercises. I walk with a limp. It's not a pleasant injury, I definitely don't want to play hoops anymore and risk this again. Slow and slightly painful recovery and surgery and I'm very healthy and active.

Comment from: mik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell on my knee going up my outside concrete steps. I hit so hard on the concrete I thought I cracked my knee cap. I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus, a high grade partial tear, and stress fracture of the upper tibia under the knee cap. It's been almost three months and I have a scheduled surgery for meniscus and ligament tears. It is very painful to walk, especially steps and just walking far. The pain is on the left side of the knee, and goes down to my ankle and into my thigh a bit. I can't bend my knee past 45 degrees or extend it out without pain. Sleeping is painful. I have had 3 previous knee surgeries for meniscus and the pain was not like this.

Comment from: cking925, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

First off I'd like to say thank you to MedicineNet for this great article on torn meniscus, because I play sports and wanted to know how fast could I get back in practice. Anyways, I tore mine in a football game. I'm a 15 year old athlete. I didn't feel it tear, but going back to the sideline right after that play, I knew something was wrong though. It felt like I needed to pop my knee, but it wouldn't pop. Too make a long story short, my mom never made the M.D. appointment so I played on it for another month and half before I finally went. My symptoms were swelling, popping, and constant pain. At first it was felt like I needed to pop it. After a few weeks, I couldn't bend or straighten it fully without it hurting. After another week, it started popping when I walked. Go to the doctor immediately, learn from me!

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.