Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I'm 43 years old and consider myself athletic. I started running a few years ago but quit because of what I thought was a problem with my sciatica. I started cross fit about 8 months ago and hurt myself over time. My calves and hamstring became really tight and my leg just wouldn't really respond to any stretches. Going down the stairs was hurting my knee. Suddenly my knee felt really tight and became a little stiff. I was limping but the knee didn't get swollen. I would wake up at night when I was turning in my sleep. The symptoms went away a few days later and after a week of rest I did cross fit again. Immediately I was in pain again and I decided to see a doctor. It turned out that I have a weak core which weakens my hip (that's where my "sciatica" problem came from). As a result my knee didn't get enough support and I eventually hurt myself. I tore my meniscus but didn't need surgery since I responded well to physical therapy. After 4 weeks of rest I went back to cross fit. I modify a lot of exercises and use lesser weights. I would say that I'm about 80% two months after my injury.

Comment from: SC golf, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I first suspected torn meniscus in February 2013, the day after playing pickup hoops for 3 hours. I couldn't get out of the car or out of chair without pain. I iced it and rested it for 2 to 3 months and it got better. I played hoops again in September 13, and same thing happened, only worse the next day. I got it checked with MRI and confirmed torn meniscus. The doctor couldn't do surgery for 2.5 weeks due to his schedule. I am now recovering 3 weeks later, and doing leg lifts with no weight, leg curls with no weight and a range of motion exercises. I walk with a limp. It's not a pleasant injury, I definitely don't want to play hoops anymore and risk this again. Slow and slightly painful recovery and surgery and I'm very healthy and active.

Comment from: mik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell on my knee going up my outside concrete steps. I hit so hard on the concrete I thought I cracked my knee cap. I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus, a high grade partial tear, and stress fracture of the upper tibia under the knee cap. It's been almost three months and I have a scheduled surgery for meniscus and ligament tears. It is very painful to walk, especially steps and just walking far. The pain is on the left side of the knee, and goes down to my ankle and into my thigh a bit. I can't bend my knee past 45 degrees or extend it out without pain. Sleeping is painful. I have had 3 previous knee surgeries for meniscus and the pain was not like this.

Comment from: cking925, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

First off I'd like to say thank you to MedicineNet for this great article on torn meniscus, because I play sports and wanted to know how fast could I get back in practice. Anyways, I tore mine in a football game. I'm a 15 year old athlete. I didn't feel it tear, but going back to the sideline right after that play, I knew something was wrong though. It felt like I needed to pop my knee, but it wouldn't pop. Too make a long story short, my mom never made the M.D. appointment so I played on it for another month and half before I finally went. My symptoms were swelling, popping, and constant pain. At first it was felt like I needed to pop it. After a few weeks, I couldn't bend or straighten it fully without it hurting. After another week, it started popping when I walked. Go to the doctor immediately, learn from me!

Comment from: Selena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am a mid-life active woman who fell 1 month ago. I had an MRI 1 week ago which confirmed a meniscus tear medially of left knee. I don't have much pain, just clicking in the knee. I am very holistic so I did some research on taking homeopathic remedies; Ruta for sprain and tendonitis and Symphytum for bone knitting. I did see a difference within 1 day. I will be going for an evaluation with an orthopedic specialist in 3 weeks and going to opt out of surgery as long as I can. My chiropractor put me back on icing and heat alternating and it has been fantastic for the healing process. He also said no repetitive exercises, like knee bends. I am doing leg lifts and stretching and a lot of resting. Each day it gets stronger.

Comment from: DG, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I suffered from torn of meniscus. I was running with my friends just for fun, and abruptly felt pain in my knee. However, I was able to walk, run, and sit. Only the pain was the problem. However, no doctor told me that only pain doesn"t mean you need surgery. I mean, every surgery has its defects. Cutting torn meniscus is just cutting them off. Nothing but a short term measurement. During 1 year just after surgery, I was fine. However, I feel pain again and doctors tell me that I"m now with degenerative arthritis. I"m just 26. I"m doomed... So I hope that you should seriously think about surgery or non-surgery. Very important for torn meniscus patients that estimating after-surgery life. Actually I think it is useless especially for younger patients. And it is my personal opinion.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.