Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Basically all I felt with torn meniscus was stiffness. I thought I had arthritis but after the MRI it showed damaged meniscus. I got a shot of cortisone 6 months ago that helped tremendously. I am going to get the surgery within the next month as the shot is slowly wearing off.

Comment from: SC golf, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I first suspected torn meniscus in February 2013, the day after playing pickup hoops for 3 hours. I couldn't get out of the car or out of chair without pain. I iced it and rested it for 2 to 3 months and it got better. I played hoops again in September 13, and same thing happened, only worse the next day. I got it checked with MRI and confirmed torn meniscus. The doctor couldn't do surgery for 2.5 weeks due to his schedule. I am now recovering 3 weeks later, and doing leg lifts with no weight, leg curls with no weight and a range of motion exercises. I walk with a limp. It's not a pleasant injury, I definitely don't want to play hoops anymore and risk this again. Slow and slightly painful recovery and surgery and I'm very healthy and active.

Comment from: mik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I fell on my knee going up my outside concrete steps. I hit so hard on the concrete I thought I cracked my knee cap. I was diagnosed with a torn meniscus, a high grade partial tear, and stress fracture of the upper tibia under the knee cap. It's been almost three months and I have a scheduled surgery for meniscus and ligament tears. It is very painful to walk, especially steps and just walking far. The pain is on the left side of the knee, and goes down to my ankle and into my thigh a bit. I can't bend my knee past 45 degrees or extend it out without pain. Sleeping is painful. I have had 3 previous knee surgeries for meniscus and the pain was not like this.

Comment from: cking925, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

First off I'd like to say thank you to MedicineNet for this great article on torn meniscus, because I play sports and wanted to know how fast could I get back in practice. Anyways, I tore mine in a football game. I'm a 15 year old athlete. I didn't feel it tear, but going back to the sideline right after that play, I knew something was wrong though. It felt like I needed to pop my knee, but it wouldn't pop. Too make a long story short, my mom never made the M.D. appointment so I played on it for another month and half before I finally went. My symptoms were swelling, popping, and constant pain. At first it was felt like I needed to pop it. After a few weeks, I couldn't bend or straighten it fully without it hurting. After another week, it started popping when I walked. Go to the doctor immediately, learn from me!

Comment from: Danaesppl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I noticed that I had pain just to the left and below my right knee. When I walked on it, it was slightly painful. One day, a few weeks after this, I went on a hike with my young niece. There were a ton of stairs as you came out of the mountain, which I did carrying my small niece. As we "bounced" down the stairs I started to notice my knee getting more painful with every step. By the time we got to the bottom I could hardly move my knee it was very painful (left side below my knee).

Comment from: m. Deal, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I would like to share my experience with my meniscus tear. About two years ago I was running full speed on uneven ground when I stepped in a small hole that caused my knee to hyper-extend and after about a week or so I felt tenderness in my right knee joint area. I went to see a doctor and I got an ex-ray and they told me my knee was fine. So for the next two years I continued to work in construction. Back in January I was walking up and down the stair case constantly for about 2 months at a four story building we were working on and suddenly my tender knee started to ache more and more. So I made an appointment with the orthopedic doctor and they did an MRI scan back in August of this year and they found significant tear of my anterior meniscus. The orthopedic doctor made an immediate schedule for my surgery and my surgery was in September. I am glad that I had my torn meniscus fixed because it caused my knee to lock up while I was sleeping at night.

Comment from: chiefgsa, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I started having knee pain at 10 AM. Around 1:30PM I went to walk down the stairs and my left knee gave out. I went and had an x-ray and they manipulated it and the doctor said I probably have a torn meniscus. I go for an MRI in 3 days. I have been using a knee immobilizer for 2 days and it feels better.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.