Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: Bless17, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

After meniscus tear, I wonder how long it takes for your knee to heal. I'm still having some pain and swelling.

Comment from: Tobin Frost, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I experienced severe onset of pain in the back of my left knee. Pain lasted 36 hours straight, with swelling and inability to walk without a major limp. I went to the doctor, he ordered an MRI, and results showed significant medial meniscus tear and cartilage damage. I had outpatient surgery 4 days ago. Pain levels reduced significantly. I went for physiotherapy yesterday, increasing my range of motion and strengthening my knee joint. No pain medicines or crutches today. Stairs are still tough, but I am starting to get my life back. I am glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have put on some weight the past several years but have still remained active. About 2 years ago my feet started to be very painful after jogging or hiking. A year ago a visit to the doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis. He said that doing the 'toes on the step-lower your heels' exercises would cure me in 30 days. I was 3 weeks into it and feeling pretty good when I had an excruciating pain during the exercises that turned out to be a torn meniscus. Saw another doctor who said I could leave it alone to see if it heals, or have surgery. A year later after numerous re-injuries I'm planning on surgery and hope that it helps. I have been told that the meniscus simply wears out as you get older, so here's hoping the surgery helps. With a torn meniscus I can walk forward, up and down hills for miles and even jog but if I twist the leg the least bit while standing still or raise it up on to a stool while sitting down the result can be severe with swelling, bruising, and incapacitation.

Comment from: Nomorepain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had severe pain in my left knee back in 2010. I could hardly walk or do my job at a daycare. MRI revealed I had a torn meniscus. I had surgery to repair it at an outpatient service. I walked out a 1/2 hour after surgery with no pain. I did have severe knee spasm after 3 days along with swelling. However this was brought on by not resting and elevating my leg as I was taking care of my husband who was just diagnosed with cancer. The doctor gave me medicines for the spasm and said I may need knee replacement in 6 months to a year. That was four years this June and I"m still good.

Comment from: FED UP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I started to have knee problems in January 2013, in May I had an x-ray and there was nothing abnormal. I saw a surgeon and a surgery date was set for mid-May. I returned to work in June. I started physiotherapy two weeks after surgery. I was unable to straighten my leg and physiotherapist wondered if I had another meniscus tear. I had an MRI done and there was another tear (not as large). I had surgery in August. I am still unable to straighten leg. Physiotherapist, after massaging, was able to straighten it but once I started to walk it would bend again. My knee started to swell and I was in the hospital with pain. I saw my surgeon 3 weeks after surgery. He took some fluid to test to see if it was septic. There was high white cell count but not septic. Now I am going for another MRI. I think the meniscus is torn again. I feel unstable and have pain all of the time. I am unable to walk up the stairs with bad leg first. What happens if there is another tear! I haven't been able to straighten my leg since April. I asked after last surgery if they should put my leg in some sort of cast so it at least starts out straight.

Comment from: NovelRR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was just diagnosed with a torn medial meniscus. I have had pain for years but recently it has gotten worse. I started noticing that I cannot kneel on that knee without experiencing a sharp shooting pain on the opposite side of where the tear has occurred. I also feel pain in the back of the knee.

Comment from: Old Jimmy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm an avid cyclist, I have strong quadriceps, hamstrings etc. Two weeks ago I knelt down at a grand child's class room visit and could barely get up. To cut a long story short, I had a torn meniscus. I'm prone to clots and one formed behind my knee. After getting on blood thinners the clot went away along with most of the pain. I'm back on my indoor wind load trainer, but not yet up to speed. My inclination is to forego surgery, but that will depend on how quickly, if at all, I can get up to speed on my bicycle. I'll update as appropriate.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.