Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?

Comment from: pmillerphoto, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a meniscus repair December 12th, 2015 and am regretting it. I fell out of a land rover in Africa which was the final blow for a knee that would give me trouble at times. I was running and walking 4 to 5 miles 5 times a week prior to fall. Now 3 months after surgery I have trouble walking around at the block. I thought this was going to make it better. I would tell anyone who asked do physiotherapy until you cannot walk, before this surgery.

Comment from: fredi250, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 12

Fifteen years ago I shattered my left leg just avoiding amputation, and since that time due to chronic pain I have favored my right leg. Three months ago I had an arthrodesis of the left ankle and until the leg was weight bearing I had to use the right to take all my weight when rising from chairs getting out of bed and began to experience some pain. Given the okay to start using my left leg (no pain after 15 years) and within hours my right knee was absolute agony; multiple tears in meniscus, surgeon has now put me to top of his list for knee replacement, the only real option at my age.

Comment from: Tobin Frost, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I experienced severe onset of pain in the back of my left knee. Pain lasted 36 hours straight, with swelling and inability to walk without a major limp. I went to the doctor, he ordered an MRI, and results showed significant medial meniscus tear and cartilage damage. I had outpatient surgery 4 days ago. Pain levels reduced significantly. I went for physiotherapy yesterday, increasing my range of motion and strengthening my knee joint. No pain medicines or crutches today. Stairs are still tough, but I am starting to get my life back. I am glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I have put on some weight the past several years but have still remained active. About 2 years ago my feet started to be very painful after jogging or hiking. A year ago a visit to the doctor diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis. He said that doing the 'toes on the step-lower your heels' exercises would cure me in 30 days. I was 3 weeks into it and feeling pretty good when I had an excruciating pain during the exercises that turned out to be a torn meniscus. Saw another doctor who said I could leave it alone to see if it heals, or have surgery. A year later after numerous re-injuries I'm planning on surgery and hope that it helps. I have been told that the meniscus simply wears out as you get older, so here's hoping the surgery helps. With a torn meniscus I can walk forward, up and down hills for miles and even jog but if I twist the leg the least bit while standing still or raise it up on to a stool while sitting down the result can be severe with swelling, bruising, and incapacitation.

Comment from: Nomorepain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had severe pain in my left knee back in 2010. I could hardly walk or do my job at a daycare. MRI revealed I had a torn meniscus. I had surgery to repair it at an outpatient service. I walked out a 1/2 hour after surgery with no pain. I did have severe knee spasm after 3 days along with swelling. However this was brought on by not resting and elevating my leg as I was taking care of my husband who was just diagnosed with cancer. The doctor gave me medicines for the spasm and said I may need knee replacement in 6 months to a year. That was four years this June and I"m still good.

Comment from: FED UP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I started to have knee problems in January 2013, in May I had an x-ray and there was nothing abnormal. I saw a surgeon and a surgery date was set for mid-May. I returned to work in June. I started physiotherapy two weeks after surgery. I was unable to straighten my leg and physiotherapist wondered if I had another meniscus tear. I had an MRI done and there was another tear (not as large). I had surgery in August. I am still unable to straighten leg. Physiotherapist, after massaging, was able to straighten it but once I started to walk it would bend again. My knee started to swell and I was in the hospital with pain. I saw my surgeon 3 weeks after surgery. He took some fluid to test to see if it was septic. There was high white cell count but not septic. Now I am going for another MRI. I think the meniscus is torn again. I feel unstable and have pain all of the time. I am unable to walk up the stairs with bad leg first. What happens if there is another tear! I haven't been able to straighten my leg since April. I asked after last surgery if they should put my leg in some sort of cast so it at least starts out straight.

Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.