Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: Sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had surgery for a torn meniscus. I limped for a month before I had the surgery because it was hard to get in to see a surgeon, they are so busy. My surgery was on 5-20-15, my doctor didn't sent me to therapy until 2 weeks later when I requested it. I have gone back to therapy twice and I am still having pain and can't walk right. My last doctor appointment was in 11/15 and my doctor told me my thigh muscle is weak I have to exercise it. I am trying but it is difficult because my limp is making my calf hurt as I try to walk straight. I am still on anti-inflammatory medication and feeling very discouraged.

Comment from: Bendix20, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had surgery to repair my torn meniscus last Friday 2-12-16. I was in a bit of pain that day but was lightly walking on it and moving the knee by the evening. The next day it was very sore and stiff. The Vicodin they gave me did nothing to help. I had asked for the weaker medicine but wish I had not. Sunday it felt a bit better and I started taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and that helped immensely. I am still sore but I have been moving around and walking now for nearly a week. It gets a little better each day. Not sure how long the pain should last.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

My left knee was snapping and swelling up when used moderately. The surgeon interpreted the MRI as a moderate tear. He removed 40 percent of medial and 10 to 15 percent of lateral meniscus and cleaned up the bearing surface of patella. The first week post-surgery I was concerned there was little progress in motion and pain. Nine or ten days post-surgery there was a marked improvement. Now 5 weeks and 3 days post-surgery, swelling is almost gone and I did a little 15 yard jog, 5 times, no bad pain. It still hurts, 3 on 10, intermittently along the inside of my patella. Time will tell if all the pain goes away.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a torn meniscus from working out (I lost about 75 pounds ten years ago) but in the process I tore my meniscus. I put surgery off for about five years but finally gave in when the steroid injections stopped working and the doctor said I couldn't have any more. I had the surgery seven weeks ago and I developed a large egg size lump above my knee. It is quite painful at night time, along with my entire thigh. It wakes me up every night. It's not too bad in the daytime when I'm walking but I dread going to sleep at night. The physical therapist believes I have something called IT (iliotibial) band syndrome. I have more pain now than I ever did before the surgery. I go to the surgeon tomorrow since I can't stand it anymore.

Comment from: tim961, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I underwent an arthroscopic procedure to repair a significant tear in my meniscus. I had waited 7 weeks to see if the knee would heal on its own and it did not. After several days I can say that I feel 100 percent better and expect a full recovery. I already have very little pain. I am so happy I went through with this!

Comment from: rosebudd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I had meniscus repair surgery 5 years ago, and though it healed nicely and with much physical therapy, from time to time it still hurts.

Comment from: Dennis, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had meniscus surgery on both knees. It has been 6 months since, I still can't walk far, and am constantly in pain. I have seen endocrinologist, nerve specialist and cancer doctor as I have fluid that can be seen on MRI, yet no one has the answer and the physiotherapist says no idea.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?