Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a torn meniscus from working out (I lost about 75 pounds ten years ago) but in the process I tore my meniscus. I put surgery off for about five years but finally gave in when the steroid injections stopped working and the doctor said I couldn't have any more. I had the surgery seven weeks ago and I developed a large egg size lump above my knee. It is quite painful at night time, along with my entire thigh. It wakes me up every night. It's not too bad in the daytime when I'm walking but I dread going to sleep at night. The physical therapist believes I have something called IT (iliotibial) band syndrome. I have more pain now than I ever did before the surgery. I go to the surgeon tomorrow since I can't stand it anymore.

Comment from: tim961, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I underwent an arthroscopic procedure to repair a significant tear in my meniscus. I had waited 7 weeks to see if the knee would heal on its own and it did not. After several days I can say that I feel 100 percent better and expect a full recovery. I already have very little pain. I am so happy I went through with this!

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a large tear in my left knee and meniscus repair surgery on 12/30/2013. Eight months later I am still in a lot of pain at the surgery site. I have done physical therapy, and 2 cortisone injections with not much relief. I am very discouraged, I was hoping my surgery would improve my knee, instead I have lots of sleepless nights due to pain and popping when I flex my knee.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve been experiencing some unprecedented pain on the inner part of my left knee. Being a gout sufferer with all my attacks occurring in my feet, I just figured it moved up the ladder a bit. After six weeks of icing and physical therapy (PT) an MRI revealed a medial meniscus tear. I will continue to take PT to the maximum along with trying cortisone shots as a last resort to surgery. Pain wise, I think I"d go with gout as the better option. It"s just unrelenting!

Comment from: Linnea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a severe torn meniscus and had to have surgery about 4 years ago. They said I would be back to work in about 4 weeks. I ended up being out for a little over 2 months, because the swelling would not go down and my knee ended up getting frozen! I had to go have painful injections and it was a nightmare! But, it was such a significant tear, that I had to have the surgery. It took probably over a year to fully regain full use of it like bending down. I have a very physical job and haven"t had a whole lot of problems until a couple of weeks ago. I had to do a lot of painting at work, which consisted of a lot of bending and up and down a ladder about 100 times in the course of 2 days. After the second day I woke up in the middle of the night with swelling and pain in both knees, but the one I had the surgery on much worse! I saw my surgeon yesterday and am having to go have another MRI because he thinks I may have another tear and/or osteoarthritis! I"m only 37 and am very scared of what the rest of my life is going to bring due to this!

Comment from: ferretlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had torn meniscus surgery a year ago and I still get a rubbery feeling when I try to bend.

Comment from: nicole, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Two months after surgery to repair your torn meniscus, I still have stiff knee and very swollen. It was supposed to be a very benign operation, wish I had never gone through this, it is till unbearable. I am 5 ft. 4 inch tall, 135 lb. and very active, swimming and lifting weights at 67 years of age.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?