Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve been experiencing some unprecedented pain on the inner part of my left knee. Being a gout sufferer with all my attacks occurring in my feet, I just figured it moved up the ladder a bit. After six weeks of icing and physical therapy (PT) an MRI revealed a medial meniscus tear. I will continue to take PT to the maximum along with trying cortisone shots as a last resort to surgery. Pain wise, I think I"d go with gout as the better option. It"s just unrelenting!

Comment from: Linnea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a severe torn meniscus and had to have surgery about 4 years ago. They said I would be back to work in about 4 weeks. I ended up being out for a little over 2 months, because the swelling would not go down and my knee ended up getting frozen! I had to go have painful injections and it was a nightmare! But, it was such a significant tear, that I had to have the surgery. It took probably over a year to fully regain full use of it like bending down. I have a very physical job and haven"t had a whole lot of problems until a couple of weeks ago. I had to do a lot of painting at work, which consisted of a lot of bending and up and down a ladder about 100 times in the course of 2 days. After the second day I woke up in the middle of the night with swelling and pain in both knees, but the one I had the surgery on much worse! I saw my surgeon yesterday and am having to go have another MRI because he thinks I may have another tear and/or osteoarthritis! I"m only 37 and am very scared of what the rest of my life is going to bring due to this!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was operated for a bucket handle tear to the medial meniscus at the same time as an attempted repair of a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) 9 months ago. The meniscal tear was partially trimmed and the rest sutured with 2 "inside outside" stiches and 3 Arthrex meniscus darts. Recovery was slow as the stitches and darts had to dissolve over an 8 week period. I was not walking properly for 3 months and had popping in the knee afterwards but no pain from the meniscus. Due to the failed ACL repair I underwent an ACL replacement using a hamstring graft three weeks ago. The meniscus repair was overall found to be successful although a couple of very small tears were removed. It is noticeable how much less pain and swelling there is this time around but I don't know if the first operation pain was due to the meniscus fix or the so called "healing response" treatment of the ACL. I am on one crutch and feel as if I will be walking properly in half the time of the meniscus repair. So sorry, the recovery will be slow, but it's a lot better than dealing with osteoarthritis and possible knee replacement surgery later if your cartilage can be saved! There are times when you think things will never get better but believe me, they will, just tough it out.

Comment from: ballet barre, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I tore my meniscus in April when I tripped over a display in a store and slid about 10 feet into a staircase. My doctor tried both cortisone injections and Orthovisc, neither of which did any good. In fact my knee became stiffer. Most people I've spoken to are fine after 6 to 8 weeks. I on the other hand am now on week 7 and have more pain including a constant searing from one incision site to the top of my knee cap (roughly where the 'dimple" is when you contract it), than I had before surgery. I still cannot go down stairs without pain. I go to physiotherapy twice a week and the gym three times a week. I'm 5'3 and 120lbs so, not so out of shape but terribly frustrated. Now my doctor says well this may be "as good as it gets" since the tear was bigger than I thought it was from the MRI. I told him that I'm still having warmth at the incision sites (2 of the 3) which is a little odd after 7 weeks and he just said to keep icing and wait another week. He suggested another cortisone shot but that seems a little counterproductive after I've just had surgery, wasn't that supposed to prevent it!

Comment from: RidaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I tore my Meniscus in mid-June and was rushed into surgery a week later. My meniscus had flipped my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) out of place and surgery was imperative to move the ACL back in place and to remove the torn part. I have been consistent with my physical therapy sessions and have found that the more stretching and exercise that I do, the stronger my knee feels. I walk for an hour at least three times a week and cycle for about a half hour. I don't always feel like it, but I want to get rid of this wobbly knee sensation. It has subsided some since I have incorporated walking and riding more consistently. I still have pain and soreness when weather changes (rain or fronts moving through) and stair climbing is not one of my favorite activities anymore, but I think with time and exercise these things will get better.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?