Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: Brian, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

My left knee was snapping and swelling up when used moderately. The surgeon interpreted the MRI as a moderate tear. He removed 40 percent of medial and 10 to 15 percent of lateral meniscus and cleaned up the bearing surface of patella. The first week post-surgery I was concerned there was little progress in motion and pain. Nine or ten days post-surgery there was a marked improvement. Now 5 weeks and 3 days post-surgery, swelling is almost gone and I did a little 15 yard jog, 5 times, no bad pain. It still hurts, 3 on 10, intermittently along the inside of my patella. Time will tell if all the pain goes away.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a torn meniscus from working out (I lost about 75 pounds ten years ago) but in the process I tore my meniscus. I put surgery off for about five years but finally gave in when the steroid injections stopped working and the doctor said I couldn't have any more. I had the surgery seven weeks ago and I developed a large egg size lump above my knee. It is quite painful at night time, along with my entire thigh. It wakes me up every night. It's not too bad in the daytime when I'm walking but I dread going to sleep at night. The physical therapist believes I have something called IT (iliotibial) band syndrome. I have more pain now than I ever did before the surgery. I go to the surgeon tomorrow since I can't stand it anymore.

Comment from: tim961, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I underwent an arthroscopic procedure to repair a significant tear in my meniscus. I had waited 7 weeks to see if the knee would heal on its own and it did not. After several days I can say that I feel 100 percent better and expect a full recovery. I already have very little pain. I am so happy I went through with this!

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a large tear in my left knee and meniscus repair surgery on 12/30/2013. Eight months later I am still in a lot of pain at the surgery site. I have done physical therapy, and 2 cortisone injections with not much relief. I am very discouraged, I was hoping my surgery would improve my knee, instead I have lots of sleepless nights due to pain and popping when I flex my knee.

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve been experiencing some unprecedented pain on the inner part of my left knee. Being a gout sufferer with all my attacks occurring in my feet, I just figured it moved up the ladder a bit. After six weeks of icing and physical therapy (PT) an MRI revealed a medial meniscus tear. I will continue to take PT to the maximum along with trying cortisone shots as a last resort to surgery. Pain wise, I think I"d go with gout as the better option. It"s just unrelenting!

Comment from: Bosco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had surgery in September on my knee for a meniscus tear. It is four months now and I still can't put weight on my knee or walk far, and it's still very swollen but the doctor says that's fine. It hurts.

Comment from: Bindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had surgery to repair a meniscus tear in my knee. It is four months since my surgery and I still can't walk far or bear weight on my knee. Surgeon doesn't seem to care. I worry about it.

Comment from: Low, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had meniscus surgery and it is 7 weeks now, but my knee is very swollen and hurts a lot. I need to exercise the back of my knee and my calf. I do the exercises best I can. The surgeon says this is normal. For pain he is giving me Tylenol. He wants me to take an anti-inflammatory but I can't, I am icing it.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?