Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: RidaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I tore my Meniscus in mid-June and was rushed into surgery a week later. My meniscus had flipped my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) out of place and surgery was imperative to move the ACL back in place and to remove the torn part. I have been consistent with my physical therapy sessions and have found that the more stretching and exercise that I do, the stronger my knee feels. I walk for an hour at least three times a week and cycle for about a half hour. I don't always feel like it, but I want to get rid of this wobbly knee sensation. It has subsided some since I have incorporated walking and riding more consistently. I still have pain and soreness when weather changes (rain or fronts moving through) and stair climbing is not one of my favorite activities anymore, but I think with time and exercise these things will get better.

Comment from: Bindy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I had surgery to repair a meniscus tear in my knee. It is four months since my surgery and I still can't walk far or bear weight on my knee. Surgeon doesn't seem to care. I worry about it.

Comment from: Low, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had meniscus surgery and it is 7 weeks now, but my knee is very swollen and hurts a lot. I need to exercise the back of my knee and my calf. I do the exercises best I can. The surgeon says this is normal. For pain he is giving me Tylenol. He wants me to take an anti-inflammatory but I can't, I am icing it.

Comment from: CSV57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a meniscus tear repaired today with arthroscopic surgery. Now that I am home at night when I bent over to pick something up, my knee made a squirting sound. Like you were squeezing water out of a bottle. It was really weird and there is no pain.

Comment from: nicole, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Two months after surgery to repair your torn meniscus, I still have stiff knee and very swollen. It was supposed to be a very benign operation, wish I had never gone through this, it is till unbearable. I am 5 ft. 4 inch tall, 135 lb. and very active, swimming and lifting weights at 67 years of age.

Comment from: jaks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had meniscus surgery 3 days ago! It was a large tear! They also repaired something on my patella and a root avulsion tear! I'm on crutches for 6 weeks with nothing but slight toe pressure with a locked brace! It's going to be a long road!

Comment from: Martha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

On January 15, 2014, I had a scope repair for a torn meniscus, the doctor also repaired or cleaned some arthritis. On the first day it felt great, now the insertion is very sore, but the meniscus is better.

Comment from: Tchnyou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I fell on my left knee on concrete. I had a meniscus repair six weeks ago. I have been in therapy for three weeks to rehabilitate my knee. It is still swollen and sore. I have pain when I put weight on my left leg and it aches terribly. At night is the worst. I cannot sleep through the night without it waking me and I sleep with a pillow between my knees.

Comment from: Joyce P, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

Five weeks after my arthroscopy my knee is still very sore and swollen. I have followed all instructions regarding rehabilitation but not much has helped so far. I am a tennis player and quite fit.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?