Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: nightingale50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

A month ago I was in my garden, trimming old raspberry canes, some of which were still silty from Hurricane Irene. I got pricked by a thorn on the inside of my right knee, right where I had taken a big fall the year before. The next day I was flat on my back, with an extremely sore knee. Two weeks later I went to the doctor, who sent me directly to the ER. Surgery was done to clear a raging infection. In the process, a torn meniscus was repaired. About 10 days after surgery, I felt so much better – my knee is more flexible and less painful than before surgery, and I feel improvement every day. I am very happy so far with the surgery. I believe I am going to be more mobile, and in less pain than I have been in more than a year.

Comment from: IMRDYRU, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 17

I felt an awful burning about four weeks ago and then intense pain in my right knee. I also heard popping noises. A week later, I had 20 cc of fluid drained. Since then, I've still had pain and swelling. My MRI showed a tear in my meniscus. Surgery has been scheduled. Hopefully, this will put me back to good health. I feel pain 24/7. Each step has to be careful, as I have the fear of falling or creating more pain.

Comment from: Thor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

After six weeks, I am still experiencing significant pain and swelling. It is still rather stiff and I am wearing a knee brace because it feels weak and "wobbly." I have had two steroid injections to help with the swelling. I am unable to sleep at night unless I use narcotic painkillers, due to a deep, throbbing pain in the joint. I also have significant arthritic problems with my knee, so this surgery may have amplified the usual inflammation.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?