Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Comment from: nicole, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Two months after surgery to repair your torn meniscus, I still have stiff knee and very swollen. It was supposed to be a very benign operation, wish I had never gone through this, it is till unbearable. I am 5 ft. 4 inch tall, 135 lb. and very active, swimming and lifting weights at 67 years of age.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was operated for a bucket handle tear to the medial meniscus at the same time as an attempted repair of a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) 9 months ago. The meniscal tear was partially trimmed and the rest sutured with 2 "inside outside" stiches and 3 Arthrex meniscus darts. Recovery was slow as the stitches and darts had to dissolve over an 8 week period. I was not walking properly for 3 months and had popping in the knee afterwards but no pain from the meniscus. Due to the failed ACL repair I underwent an ACL replacement using a hamstring graft three weeks ago. The meniscus repair was overall found to be successful although a couple of very small tears were removed. It is noticeable how much less pain and swelling there is this time around but I don't know if the first operation pain was due to the meniscus fix or the so called "healing response" treatment of the ACL. I am on one crutch and feel as if I will be walking properly in half the time of the meniscus repair. So sorry, the recovery will be slow, but it's a lot better than dealing with osteoarthritis and possible knee replacement surgery later if your cartilage can be saved! There are times when you think things will never get better but believe me, they will, just tough it out.

Comment from: ballet barre, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I tore my meniscus in April when I tripped over a display in a store and slid about 10 feet into a staircase. My doctor tried both cortisone injections and Orthovisc, neither of which did any good. In fact my knee became stiffer. Most people I've spoken to are fine after 6 to 8 weeks. I on the other hand am now on week 7 and have more pain including a constant searing from one incision site to the top of my knee cap (roughly where the 'dimple" is when you contract it), than I had before surgery. I still cannot go down stairs without pain. I go to physiotherapy twice a week and the gym three times a week. I'm 5'3 and 120lbs so, not so out of shape but terribly frustrated. Now my doctor says well this may be "as good as it gets" since the tear was bigger than I thought it was from the MRI. I told him that I'm still having warmth at the incision sites (2 of the 3) which is a little odd after 7 weeks and he just said to keep icing and wait another week. He suggested another cortisone shot but that seems a little counterproductive after I've just had surgery, wasn't that supposed to prevent it!

Comment from: RidaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I tore my Meniscus in mid-June and was rushed into surgery a week later. My meniscus had flipped my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) out of place and surgery was imperative to move the ACL back in place and to remove the torn part. I have been consistent with my physical therapy sessions and have found that the more stretching and exercise that I do, the stronger my knee feels. I walk for an hour at least three times a week and cycle for about a half hour. I don't always feel like it, but I want to get rid of this wobbly knee sensation. It has subsided some since I have incorporated walking and riding more consistently. I still have pain and soreness when weather changes (rain or fronts moving through) and stair climbing is not one of my favorite activities anymore, but I think with time and exercise these things will get better.

Comment from: jaks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had meniscus surgery 3 days ago! It was a large tear! They also repaired something on my patella and a root avulsion tear! I'm on crutches for 6 weeks with nothing but slight toe pressure with a locked brace! It's going to be a long road!

Comment from: Martha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

On January 15, 2014, I had a scope repair for a torn meniscus, the doctor also repaired or cleaned some arthritis. On the first day it felt great, now the insertion is very sore, but the meniscus is better.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Treatment Question: What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?