Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?

Comment from: (Patient) Published: April 30

I am currently 6 days into my recovery now, I got surgery for torn meniscus on the 21st and I now have almost full extension of my leg and can bear a good amount of weight on crutches. I waited 4.5 months to get the surgery done! Unfortunately, so my ligaments are very sore and weak as my knee was locked in position for so long. But I suggest taking the surgery route to anyone who has a tear, the pain is something you can deal with, especially with the medication they prescribe you. I stopped taking mine after the 48 hours and I can handle the pain fairly well. I expect my process to be a little bit longer than average only because of my waiting situation but already my leg is better than it was before surgery.

Comment from: p. mueller, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I felt pain, after hard riding on road bikes, in left medial meniscus. I received cortisone shot and prescription for Voltaren ointment and knee brace. I'm fine now and can do metric centuries.

Comment from: eloquent energy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

The fatal day arrived when I was a shopping customer at a large grocery chain. A thawing frozen food pallet on the sales floor sent me to the floor. The knee took the brunt of the fall. Trying to get off the knee I fractured the elbow. The feeling that I skinned my knee continued. The knee x-ray showed arthritis. I was treated for arthritis which was exacerbated by the slip and fall accident. The pain continued, and I was offered cortisone injections. I refused. I accepted physical therapy. The pain persisted. Over a year passed, and I saw a new doctor. He ordered an MRI. Diagnosis was torn lateral and medial meniscus. The surgeon can't repair it, but can clean it up. I refused, it's too risky. I went back to physical therapy. There is no hope for this permanent damage. Now, I am looking into stem cell regeneration. Good luck to me!

Comment from: MsPrada, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I opted not to go the surgery route for torn meniscus as I had heard mixed reviews. A doctor friend of mine said to try wearing a knee brace daily, applying ice to the knee nightly and being cautious with activity. I took Ibuprofen for inflammation as well and within 8 weeks, my knee was almost back to normal. Be patient, surgery is not always the answer!

Comment from: AzNana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was climbing some bleachers and stepped down on my left foot and experienced extreme pain. I was away from my doctor but when I got back into town, she diagnosed a medial tear on the meniscus. I had a cortisone shot which helped for 3 weeks. Since then, I have had another shot which didn't even last 48 hours. She then sent me to physical therapy which I have only had 2 sessions. Also, let me add, I am not in the best physical shape, I am considered obese and I know weight loss is imperative. I have lost 20 lb. since mid-April. My pain is horrible and I have been living on Motrin for weeks. My doctor admitted that I was not a good candidate for surgery as I was too old plus if she removed the meniscus, it could bring on arthritis quicker.

Comment from: Hoopitup, Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 72 years old and very active playing basketball, golf, and swimming. It is over 8 weeks since the doctor scoped my knee for a meniscus tear, plus arthritis. It was bad since day one after surgery. Pain, swelling, and a stiff knee that I cannot straighten. I had a cortisone shot two weeks ago. It felt good for a couple days after the shot so I tested it by hitting golf balls and doing some light lifting/swimming. Big mistake, it is worse now than ever. I am back on crutches, more swelling, and I have a sharp pain on the medial side of my knee when I place any pressure on it. I am thinking I made a big mistake in having it scoped. My wife says I am definitely worse than I ever was. I should have considered other options before I agreed to the scope procedure. Be forewarned if you are considering arthroscopy for a torn meniscus. It is of questionable value and after effects can be disastrous.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.