Patient Comments: Torn Meniscus - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?

Comment from: MsPrada, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I opted not to go the surgery route for torn meniscus as I had heard mixed reviews. A doctor friend of mine said to try wearing a knee brace daily, applying ice to the knee nightly and being cautious with activity. I took Ibuprofen for inflammation as well and within 8 weeks, my knee was almost back to normal. Be patient, surgery is not always the answer!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

On the 28th August 2013, I underwent surgery for a bucket tear arthroscopy. That was 13 weeks ago! I have continued to experience severe swelling and pain. I have had intense physiotherapy with little or no improvement. It has now been discovered that there is a further tear, the surgeon saying that in trying to save some meniscus and hoping to delay the early onset of arthritis, he overlooked the extra tear; back to surgery for me!

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I tore mine when I fell and did the "splits" while skiing. The initial pain and swelling improved gradually after a few weeks. But I continued to have problems, so my doctor prescribed physical therapy, which I did for about a month to strengthen my hamstrings and quadriceps. I was surprised at the heavy work they had me do, but it did help. The only thing I can't do now is run too hard or long distances. I can get on the treadmill, but I have to be careful not to overdo it. I know I really should keep doing my PT exercises at home, too. At my age, I can no longer take my body for granted and have to work to maintain it so I can continue to work and play!

Comment from: Wen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I was installing a tile floor for a friend around Thanksgiving when I kneeled on the corner of a piece of marble tile. I felt a great deal of pain in that one spot, at the base of my knee cap, for weeks. I figured it was a bruised bone and would take time to heal, but after two months it still became swollen every day. I went to my family doctor at the end of January, who said "it feels crunchy, so I think its age-related issues" and sent me to a PT. I explained that most of my body parts have popped and cracked all of my life. All of my major joints have a "crunchy" feel when palpated during motion. She ignored my opinions. The PT said that I should have had an X-ray and/or MRI, but they would do what they could for four weeks. I stopped going to the gym, stopped walking the dogs for more than once around the park, and avoided stairs – but it was still swollen every day. I finally saw a joint specialist. who sent me to get an MRI. It showed a meniscus tear on the inner edge and a cyst. A cortisone shot fixed it for a few days, but the swelling started up soon after, despite the daily icing and OTC meds. I will be having the scoping done at the end of May. I'm not looking forward to it. I was told I could walk the next day and return to regular activities within one week.

Comment from: Duane, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I had orthoscopic surgery and it went well. I did the physical therapy, as prescribed, and was able to gain strength and flexibility back in my leg. For exercise, I use an elliptical machine and I cycle. However, I think all the exercise has sped up the process for wearing down the bone in my knee. The pain has started to return and I find the knee is more unstable.

Torn Meniscus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with a torn meniscus?
Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair Question: Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.