Patient Comments: Torn ACL - Recovery

What was the recovery process like after you tore your ACL? Did you have physical therapy?

Comment from: tohllyd, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I tore my ACL (left knee) in January 2013, I did surgery in august 2013, and I started physiotherapy 2 weeks after my surgery. My torn ACL was replaced with hamstring craft, I started walking slowly with knee support 48 hours after the operation. Though my first contact with the floor was so painful I was asked to move around with the help of two nurses. Then 72 hours later I had another try which was better than the first one and I was discharged from the hospital that same day. When I joined physiotherapy I started static cycling, hamstring raises while lying down on the flat floor, etc. Four weeks later I started calf raises, knee press, squats, toe walk, heel walk, cycling, hamstring raise with 1/2 kg weight, leg extension, etc. and I also joined a local swimming pool for hydrotherapy. Now it's December, I still feel some pain in my knee but I feel stronger every week and I have also started jogging.

Torn ACL - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your torn ACL?
Torn ACL - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for your torn ACL? Did you have surgery?