Patient Comments: Torn ACL - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your torn ACL?

Comment from: Scott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

The signs and symptoms that I experienced were very familiar since this has been my fourth knee surgery. While attempting to stand from a kneeling position, I heard a rather loud "pop" followed by immediate and intense pain and the onset of swelling.

Comment from: Ivy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I like to do physical activities like hiking, biking, skating, swimming, and camping. I am a middle school teacher, and while supervising students, joined in jumping rope. When I landed, my foot inside my shoe shifter, I felt popping on my ankle and tried to move to avoid further injury, when my knee popped and gave under. I didn't land on my knee, I have been treated at doctor's for torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), and waiting for surgery. I am currently on knee brace and a walker.

Comment from: alyssa2323, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I sat down on the bus, literally that's it, when my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) was torn.

Torn ACL - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for your torn ACL? Did you have surgery?
Torn ACL - Recovery Question: What was the recovery process like after you tore your ACL? Did you have physical therapy?