Patient Comments: Torn ACL - Causes

Please discuss the cause of your torn ACL.

Comment from: Sheena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I was playing soccer, jumped high and landed with my knee locked and immediately went down. Initially I was told it was a sprain and it would heal in about 2 weeks. Ten days after the initial injury, someone had the door open for me and I rushed a little, immediately I went down! That day, my doctor ordered an MRI and a brace. Today, I just found out I have a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). Hopefully, I'll get surgery super soon.

Comment from: Melodie in LA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I tried to move a 300 lb. box onto a truck bed and I was wearing flip flops and therefore as I shoved onto the box to push deep into the bed, it pushed me off of the tailgate and I landed with my left leg locked onto asphalt, about 4 feet from the ground. I heard and felt my knee give in opposite direction and popped. I waited 1 month to find MRI showing a severed ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). I had surgery and am still recovering but I am very happy they can even fix that these days. I am still very active and cannot wait to jog and run again.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was walking up the brick steps of my porch and my flip flop got caught in the dog's chain someone had laid over a step and I fell directly onto my right knee. I grabbed at the door with my left hand to try to catch myself and that caused a wrist sprain, but my knee was hurting so bad I didn't notice the swelling and pain in my wrist and fingers until the next day. My knee swelled immediately and started bruising the next day, getting uglier every day after that. I rested it, iced it, elevated it for 6 days but it only got worse. I went to the emergency room today and they said I have a torn ACL and a small fracture on my kneecap. I go to the orthopedist in 5 days. I really hope I don't have to have surgery.

Comment from: Knowles, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was playing Australian Rules football. I received a tackle from behind! My knee went straight into the ground and the tackler landed on my leg twisting my knee and foot. I felt a crack in my knee and thought I had broken my tibia. At first I got up and walked away from the incident, then in about 10 minutes my knee was huge and I could not bear weight on it at all! Scans revealed torn ACL and I require surgery!

Comment from: raymor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I jumped out of the bed of a truck and slipped on ice when I landed. I felt a big pop and was in some serious pain. I couldn't put any weight on it for several days without my knee buckling or shifting. MRI showed the bad news two weeks later! Full tear of the ACL as well as a partial tear to the lateral meniscus.

Comment from: Mike C, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

Two days ago, I abruptly felt my knee collapse and excruciating continuous pain like an ice pick piercing the outside of my knee right below the patella. I couldn't walk. Last summer, I had a partial knee replacement (interior) and have had five arthroscopic surgeries on this knee over the last 15 years. The pain and fragility of the knee has subsided but I keep the hinged knee brace on. I wonder if it is a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

Comment from: Patricia Bush, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

My knee has hurt for years. I had a cleaning business for years and was always on my knees. While I was walking up my basement stairs something popped in back of my knee. I couldn't walk on it. I went to the hospital, they said x-ray was fine. They gave me a brace and that was it.

Comment from: Sam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

Playing volleyball on pavement, I landed on my right foot wrong; my leg was going one direction, foot another; created the perfect storm for a torn ligament. I heard a loud "crack-crack" and down I went. I could not get back up. I have gone through physical therapy and have just undergone surgery. I am currently in recovery.

Torn ACL - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your torn ACL?
Torn ACL - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for your torn ACL? Did you have surgery?
Torn ACL - Recovery Question: What was the recovery process like after you tore your ACL? Did you have physical therapy?