Patient Comments: Torn ACL - Causes

Please discuss the cause of your torn ACL.

Comment from: Knowles, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was playing Australian Rules football. I received a tackle from behind! My knee went straight into the ground and the tackler landed on my leg twisting my knee and foot. I felt a crack in my knee and thought I had broken my tibia. At first I got up and walked away from the incident, then in about 10 minutes my knee was huge and I could not bear weight on it at all! Scans revealed torn ACL and I require surgery!

Comment from: raymor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I jumped out of the bed of a truck and slipped on ice when I landed. I felt a big pop and was in some serious pain. I couldn't put any weight on it for several days without my knee buckling or shifting. MRI showed the bad news two weeks later! Full tear of the ACL as well as a partial tear to the lateral meniscus.

Comment from: Sam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

Playing volleyball on pavement, I landed on my right foot wrong; my leg was going one direction, foot another; created the perfect storm for a torn ligament. I heard a loud "crack-crack" and down I went. I could not get back up. I have gone through physical therapy and have just undergone surgery. I am currently in recovery.

Comment from: chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I hopped up to the top of a 6' wooden fence and jumped to the other side. My knee locked and then hyperextended. There was a sharp pain inside my knee. I managed to climb back over (the dangers of Wiffle ball!) and limped around the rest of the day in intense pain. An MRI the next day confirmed the bad news.

Comment from: Gloria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a mail carrier who fell on stairs on the mail route. My knee immediately began to swell and bruising came the following day. My fall resulted in a torn medial meniscus and ACL. My injury was over a month ago and I am still waiting for my surgery to be approved.

Comment from: mrsg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I tore my ACL and meniscus when I fell down some steps while working. I hit my knee and arm on the step, causing a deep bone bruise on my leg, delaying surgery for 4-6 weeks, and leaving me with a horrific-looking forearm.

Comment from: JDKothanek, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

When I was a young Marine, I was rappelling from a helicopter onto uneven terrain and all my weight (with pack and gear, of course) hit the ground with such force that my left leg was pretty close to being locked. Immediately, I felt a very sharp searing pain, and it seemed as though my femur went forward of my tibia a great deal. I had an ACL replacement in 1992, and now I think it may have gone out again – which is how I landed on this site for information and why I'm sharing what happened.

Torn ACL - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms associated with your torn ACL?
Torn ACL - Diagnosis Question: Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a torn ACL.
Torn ACL - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for your torn ACL? Did you have surgery?
Torn ACL - Recovery Question: What was the recovery process like after you tore your ACL? Did you have physical therapy?