Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: WorriedMom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My son who just turned 3 years old will be having both the tonsils and adenoids removed soon due to his sleep study results he had last year which showed a 66% out of 100% in breathing. I'm nervous for my little man.

Comment from: 3tonsillectomies, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 08

Sleep apnea and negative effects on the adenoids were the cause for my needing a tonsillectomy.

Comment from: TLWelder, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I'm a 26-year-old male. I needed my tonsils removed because I was sick from November 2012 to March 2013 from a bacterial infection. I got my tonsils removed 12 days ago and I am doing much better now, but it still hurts to swallow. I have eaten some things like hamburger patties and stuff like that, but I always needed lots of water to go with it. To me, it feels like food is getting caught in the area where my tonsils used to be and causing food to not want to go down, so for now, I am back on soft stuff. My doctor said that this is normal and after another 2 to 3 weeks, I won't even notice. I think that the worst day of pain for me was on the seventh day. I needed extra pain medication and ended up sleeping the whole day.

Comment from: Moose, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I snore loudly at night and it apparently bothers my family a lot. I have trouble breathing when moving (even walking) and I can't seem to hear things well at all. My doctor advised me to get a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy along with ear tubes put in. Now I've become worried about the surgery, which is in a week. I've had only one other surgery and it was for the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I want to know how painful it is on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain) and how hard it is to eat or drink on the same scale. Please help—I'm scared.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever 17 months ago. I've been on antibiotics (IM shot once a month) since then. Even with the monthly antibiotics I've had at least one, probably two, strep throat infections in the last year. I had been referred for a tonsillectomy as a child and then again about 10 years ago because of recurrent strep infections. My doctors agreed that to protect my heart my tonsils needed to go. I had the tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I'm hungry, can't talk, and it hurts to swallow. Somehow, even through the pain I'm experiencing right now I can tell that my body is going to feel better without my tonsils. The doctors report that my immune system will be less stressed and that really feels like it's going to be true.

Comment from: LoudSnorer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm 24 years old and had my tonsillectomy and pharyngoplasty just this January 20, 2014. It was a lot of pain, ranging 8 out of 10, and I was worried because I still snore a lot. I hope this is just because of my swollen palate and uvula.

Comment from: lmgst15, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 24-year-old female who had a tonsillectomy done. I'm not sure if I should consider this day two or three of post-op, but regardless this hasn't been that bad of a recovery so far. After surgery, I was a little bit sick from the anesthesia and of course my throat was sore. Once I got home, I drank water and ate mashed potatoes.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.