Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: Ms3tonsil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Interesting fact. I had tonsillectomy out at age 26. I was told at follow-up that he was not able to get all of my left tonsil. Once I healed, I could see a little tissue about the size of my pinky finger nail. I lost about 30 lb, it was awful. Fast forward, I'm 45 now, have a tonsil that is full size, have suffered from chronic tonsillitis and laryngitis the past 12 months. My ENT (not the same one) said it is time to remove my 3rd tonsil. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but dealing with a sore throat every day is awful.

Comment from: mary lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had my right tonsil out a week ago. I am fifty eight years old, had them out at age 19 prior. ENT stated they didn't get it all and it grew back. If you have had strep throat, then you know what a sore throat is! It is not as bad as strep. Not saying it is a cake walk, it is not. Initially the first couple days were just running the humidifier and drinking a lot of water. It is when you remember that you are hungry and try to eat something of a little substance that the fun begins. Scrambled eggs were like swallowing marbles! The jaw, ear and tongue pain was terribly depressing after the sixth day; enough! I did not take Lortab, except to help sleep at night; 500 mg of Tylenol worked better actually for pain. Neighbor brought cookies over tonight and I ate one. It had nuts and I started bleeding, so I drank a lot of ice water and it stopped. It was a relief to know that it was not cancerous as my only sign was that it was so much larger than the left and it was getting bigger. Air hugs to all who have this done. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: davieb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I've had psoriasis for nearly 40 years, I'm now 60 years of age. In my early twenties my body was covered quite extensively. I tried potions and creams to no effect, and bought an infrared/ultraviolet lamp for home use. This cleared my skin, and fortunately I have very little on my skin now. My nails started pitting in 1989, and I was put on methotrexate. It didn't work and I was taken off it as it was damaging my liver. Fast forward to 2009, I developed psoriatic arthritis, and I'm now on leflunomide, Co-codamol for pain, and Adcal for calcium supplement. I was on naproxen for a short while taken off it due to gastric bleed. My next option I have been given is cyclosporine in addition to leflunomide. I only use Alphosyl shampoo, it's kept my scalp clear for years. I'm now trying steeping my fingers once daily in Polytar or Capasal shampoo diluted in water to reduce the pitting on my nails, and there is a slight improvement at the nail beds.

Comment from: T.C., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 34 and have had sleep apnea forever. My tonsils were between the size of grapes and golf balls. They produced tonsil stones and had massive cracks in them. Still most surgeons didn't want to take them out! I finally found a great surgeon who used the forceps method to remove them. I don't know if that's what has made all the difference or not, but I feel pretty good. I took OxyContin for the first 24 hours, Tylenol the next 24 and haven't needed anything else since. The lidocaine lollipops were a big help those first days. Now I eat sherbet prior to oatmeal or eggs or swallowing pills. I tried to stay hydrated, sleep at a 30 degree angle and didn't have dairy for the first 72 hours as per doctor's advice. I felt like my tongue was pretty swollen the first few days and I couldn't move it but now it is fine. I could already breathe easier driving home from the hospital! I'm glad I had the procedure!

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.