Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: S2s44, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had several reasons to get my tonsils removed. I have horrible sinus problems and the drainage would always run to my throat and cause it to be sore and I would cough up a lot, all through the night and all day. It was bad. Starting in 2012 I had been introduced to tonsil stones. Ironically it was right after college and I freaked out when I saw them. I thought it was an infection but later found out my brother and sister had them. I managed them for two years easily enough on top of the other issues. I also have ridiculously large tonsils. No one ever told me to get them looked at until I was an adult. The past year I have been to the doctor at least 8 times for my tonsils. This past time they were so swollen and infected, though I have never had strep throat, and they were cutting off my air supply. That was the last straw for me. At that time I scheduled my tonsillectomy surgery. I am now tonsil free as of 11.3.15.

Comment from: Mandyrenee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am a 32 year old female and had sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils. I had mine removed a week ago and this is terrible. I feel like I've swallowed glass. I have an autoimmune disease that causes overall pain, and so I have a pretty high pain tolerance. But this pain is different and seems never ending. I can't eat very much and when I do it isn't enjoyable because it always feels like food is stuck in the back of my throat. All I can say is keep rinsing with warm salt water and keep your mouth very clean. Also lozenges with benzocaine help tremendously.

Comment from: Alex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had my tonsillectomy done at a private clinic in London, UK. I was anxious but happy to get rid of the recurring tonsillitis I've have had for the past 3 years. The last I had 2 month ago was the worst: quinsy. My tonsillectomy was performed yesterday. I have been lucky so far. My only pain was swallowing, no blood loss, nothing extra. Having ice cream was a challenge as it triggered the pain, however eating hard stuff was fine. I slept well last night, apart from hearing myself snore which is not nice. The only pain I've got is swallowing. All the best!

Comment from: Mark, Male (Patient) Published: August 26

I've been told I have severe sleep apnea. I've been using CPAP for 7 months but have recently stopped using it. I felt it wasn't helping and always felt suffocated. I just went to the ENT and was told I have a large tongue. He explained the process would be to remove uvula and tonsils (even though there's not an issue with them) then use RFA (radiofrequency ablation) to reduce the back of my tongue. Also the RFA would need to be done from time to time over my lifespan (though he didn't specify how often.)

Comment from: jackboot45, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 25 years old and my tonsillectomy was on July 25. This has been the worst experience of my life. Swallowing anything hurts like hell, even the liquid hydrocodone burns and only takes the edge off. The morning of day 4 and 5 where the worst for me. Aside from sleeping in about 3 hour shifts, (about how long the pain medications work), upon waking it feels like my throat is sealed shut. The only way to get it open without crying is to gently gargle with lukewarm water. Once I get my pain medications down, I've found this to be extremely relieving. Take a hot shower. Really breathe in that hot, moist air. I've found that while I sit in there, letting the water run around the base of my skull/neck, taking deep belly breaths, I experience absolute relief of all pain. Today is day 6 and has been no exception. I've gone through almost 300 ml of hydrocodone 7.5/325 and 80 oxycodone 7.5/325 tablets. The doctor said my tonsils were the biggest, nastiest most foul-odored he had even seen. After being diagnosed with IgA nephropathy, my nephrologist suggested I get these bad boys removed to hopefully restore some kidney function. I just wanted to rant about my terrible experience to you, and share the hot shower advice.

Comment from: WorriedMom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My son who just turned 3 years old will be having both the tonsils and adenoids removed soon due to his sleep study results he had last year which showed a 66% out of 100% in breathing. I'm nervous for my little man.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.