Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: mary lou, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had my right tonsil out a week ago. I am fifty eight years old, had them out at age 19 prior. ENT stated they didn't get it all and it grew back. If you have had strep throat, then you know what a sore throat is! It is not as bad as strep. Not saying it is a cake walk, it is not. Initially the first couple days were just running the humidifier and drinking a lot of water. It is when you remember that you are hungry and try to eat something of a little substance that the fun begins. Scrambled eggs were like swallowing marbles! The jaw, ear and tongue pain was terribly depressing after the sixth day; enough! I did not take Lortab, except to help sleep at night; 500 mg of Tylenol worked better actually for pain. Neighbor brought cookies over tonight and I ate one. It had nuts and I started bleeding, so I drank a lot of ice water and it stopped. It was a relief to know that it was not cancerous as my only sign was that it was so much larger than the left and it was getting bigger. Air hugs to all who have this done. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: davieb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I've had psoriasis for nearly 40 years, I'm now 60 years of age. In my early twenties my body was covered quite extensively. I tried potions and creams to no effect, and bought an infrared/ultraviolet lamp for home use. This cleared my skin, and fortunately I have very little on my skin now. My nails started pitting in 1989, and I was put on methotrexate. It didn't work and I was taken off it as it was damaging my liver. Fast forward to 2009, I developed psoriatic arthritis, and I'm now on leflunomide, Co-codamol for pain, and Adcal for calcium supplement. I was on naproxen for a short while taken off it due to gastric bleed. My next option I have been given is cyclosporine in addition to leflunomide. I only use Alphosyl shampoo, it's kept my scalp clear for years. I'm now trying steeping my fingers once daily in Polytar or Capasal shampoo diluted in water to reduce the pitting on my nails, and there is a slight improvement at the nail beds.

Comment from: T.C., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 34 and have had sleep apnea forever. My tonsils were between the size of grapes and golf balls. They produced tonsil stones and had massive cracks in them. Still most surgeons didn't want to take them out! I finally found a great surgeon who used the forceps method to remove them. I don't know if that's what has made all the difference or not, but I feel pretty good. I took OxyContin for the first 24 hours, Tylenol the next 24 and haven't needed anything else since. The lidocaine lollipops were a big help those first days. Now I eat sherbet prior to oatmeal or eggs or swallowing pills. I tried to stay hydrated, sleep at a 30 degree angle and didn't have dairy for the first 72 hours as per doctor's advice. I felt like my tongue was pretty swollen the first few days and I couldn't move it but now it is fine. I could already breathe easier driving home from the hospital! I'm glad I had the procedure!

Comment from: S2s44, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had several reasons to get my tonsils removed. I have horrible sinus problems and the drainage would always run to my throat and cause it to be sore and I would cough up a lot, all through the night and all day. It was bad. Starting in 2012 I had been introduced to tonsil stones. Ironically it was right after college and I freaked out when I saw them. I thought it was an infection but later found out my brother and sister had them. I managed them for two years easily enough on top of the other issues. I also have ridiculously large tonsils. No one ever told me to get them looked at until I was an adult. The past year I have been to the doctor at least 8 times for my tonsils. This past time they were so swollen and infected, though I have never had strep throat, and they were cutting off my air supply. That was the last straw for me. At that time I scheduled my tonsillectomy surgery. I am now tonsil free as of 11.3.15.

Comment from: Mandyrenee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am a 32 year old female and had sleep apnea due to enlarged tonsils. I had mine removed a week ago and this is terrible. I feel like I've swallowed glass. I have an autoimmune disease that causes overall pain, and so I have a pretty high pain tolerance. But this pain is different and seems never ending. I can't eat very much and when I do it isn't enjoyable because it always feels like food is stuck in the back of my throat. All I can say is keep rinsing with warm salt water and keep your mouth very clean. Also lozenges with benzocaine help tremendously.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.