Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: billyw, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 29 year old male, had the surgery seven days ago. The first few days were not that bad. Then it got worse. Still only eating room temp food like soup and sherbet ice cream. Pain meds work good but make me feel sick to my stomach. Pain feels like having dry sockets when you have wisdom teeth removed. I did try eating some baked fish and it went okay. Fish is a natural anti-inflammatory food. Trying anything to heal faster. I do think that it will be worth it once I am fully recovered. Trying to remain positive. God Bless.

Comment from: Marian10, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am on day six; and everyday it tends to just get worse and worse; I am throwing up blood I am in an extreme amount of pain; also both ears hurt really bad and have had a constant headache for the last 3 days.

Comment from: rmills3600, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I needed a tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy because I kept getting strep, tonsilitis, and mono. I will have to say the first 4 days were not too bad. I am on day 5 now and it seems to be getting worse. I have been in alot of pain today and my throat is really swollen. The doctor called me in some steroids but I cannont take them because they make my heart race and keeep me awake. I am very curious to see how this goes.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am a 22 year old woman who had my tonsils taken out 6 days ago and I feel like death. I thought ok I can do this I have been through child birth and a thyroid surgery so this would be a walk in the park but boy was I wrong!!! I have not eaten anything in 7days except water powerade and icee's oh and cold cold ice tea! I am now taking my meds every 8 hours instead of 4 so that's good, but this will knock you on your butt!

Comment from: Cassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My 3 year old and 5 year old had their tonsils removed about 1 month ago and guess what I'm about to go through the same thing. I'm 26 years old and I'm scared to death of the surgery thing I watched them go through it and it was very hard to keep them eating and drinking. I have to have surgery tomorrow Feb 17 because my tonsils are an emergency tonsillectomy. They are very enlarged and are affecting my breathing and swallowing right now. I'm wondering does it get easier for an adult to have a tonsillectomy or for a child to have one.

Comment from: Anna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 49 year old female. It's day two out of surgery and yes painful but tolerable drinking lots of water eating soft stuff I keep a bit of chewing gum in my month all the time as it helps to keep my mouth hydrated. Fingers crossed I don't get that later stage increased pain.

Comment from: ryahbri01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am a 40 year old. I am on day 6 from having my tonsils out. I had to stay overnight because of my breathing and other health issues. This is the worst pain than having a baby natural. The pain wakes me up in the middle of night, with crying, rocking and praying. I have called the answering machine so many times to see if what I'm experiencing is normal. I'm trying very hard to drink something every 15 minutes. Felt better yesterday than today, the scabs are falling off. I wish I had gotten this done when I was much younger, just trying to hold on.

Comment from: Evenflow11, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

Nervous. I am a 32 year old male with a pathetic threshold for the idea of surgery. I had a peritonsillar abscess which was the worst pain of my life. I had to have it drained which required a visit to the ER, a scalpel and needles in the back of my throat. Doc says there is a 15-25 percent chance it will happen again. I hope that the pain after surgery is not as bad as that. I read all of the stories and hope I have a positive experience with favorable results. I will post my story once I have the surgery.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.