Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a 24-year-old female and needed my tonsils out because of strep, tonsillitis, and mono. I am on day two, and I will say it does hurt, but not near as bad as I thought it was going to. I am taking my pain medicine regularly and resting and eating as much as I can. I heard potato soup is very good because it goes down smooth and is very filling. I would advise, however, not to look at your throat after the surgery. I made that mistake, and it almost made me throw up.

Comment from: nadia, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My daughter needed adenoidectomy and her tonsils were very big, the doctor advised to remove them.

Comment from: RosGirard, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am a 49 year old female with strep 3-6 times a year. So, I bit the bullet and scheduled my surgery for May. I am scared as hell because of what I have read. How does one keep the scabs from falling off too early causing bleeding, just one fear, there are many others!

Comment from: 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My 11 year old son is on day 5 post op for tonsils and adenoids removal. The hardest part for him is the swallowing. He still has trouble swallowing but fortunately is able to take small sips of Gatorade every 10 minutes. That has helped keep his energy up. He doesn't want to eat anything I offer. Thank goodness for Gatorade or we probably would have ended up in the ER for IV fluids. He slept through the night on day 4. He's lost some weight. He states a pain level of 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 when he swallows. That's with pain med Tylenol with codeine that he takes every 4 hours as needed. And he has needed it every 4 hours. I'm just counting down the days when my son can be his old self again. Good news is, he's not snoring loud like he used to.

Published: December 28

My son was 21 months when we decided to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. It was the best decision. My pediatrician and ENT both said that he needed it, but based on his age they were concerned. He did GREAT! What a difference it has made! He's no longer snoring like an adult, or having sleep apnea. He can finally breathe through his nose! It's been 2 weeks since the surgery, and I already can tell a huge difference!

Comment from: dramageek, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am getting my tonsils taking out on Thursday. I was getting really nervous about it until I read all the stories about how well people do during recovery. I have had two surgeries before this one, and I haven't needed to take much pain meds. And the anesthesia never once made me sick. Thanks for all the encouraging posts!

Comment from: billyw, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 19

I am a 29 year old male, had the surgery seven days ago. The first few days were not that bad. Then it got worse. Still only eating room temp food like soup and sherbet ice cream. Pain meds work good but make me feel sick to my stomach. Pain feels like having dry sockets when you have wisdom teeth removed. I did try eating some baked fish and it went okay. Fish is a natural anti-inflammatory food. Trying anything to heal faster. I do think that it will be worth it once I am fully recovered. Trying to remain positive. God Bless.

Comment from: Marian10, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am on day six; and everyday it tends to just get worse and worse; I am throwing up blood I am in an extreme amount of pain; also both ears hurt really bad and have had a constant headache for the last 3 days.

Comment from: rmills3600, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I needed a tonsillectomy and adnoidectomy because I kept getting strep, tonsilitis, and mono. I will have to say the first 4 days were not too bad. I am on day 5 now and it seems to be getting worse. I have been in alot of pain today and my throat is really swollen. The doctor called me in some steroids but I cannont take them because they make my heart race and keeep me awake. I am very curious to see how this goes.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.