Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: Moose, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I snore loudly at night and it apparently bothers my family a lot. I have trouble breathing when moving (even walking) and I can't seem to hear things well at all. My doctor advised me to get a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy along with ear tubes put in. Now I've become worried about the surgery, which is in a week. I've had only one other surgery and it was for the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I want to know how painful it is on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain) and how hard it is to eat or drink on the same scale. Please help—I'm scared.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever 17 months ago. I've been on antibiotics (IM shot once a month) since then. Even with the monthly antibiotics I've had at least one, probably two, strep throat infections in the last year. I had been referred for a tonsillectomy as a child and then again about 10 years ago because of recurrent strep infections. My doctors agreed that to protect my heart my tonsils needed to go. I had the tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I'm hungry, can't talk, and it hurts to swallow. Somehow, even through the pain I'm experiencing right now I can tell that my body is going to feel better without my tonsils. The doctors report that my immune system will be less stressed and that really feels like it's going to be true.

Comment from: dante81972, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My daughter is 6 and she is having her tonsils and adenoids taken out, I argued with the doctor for about 3 months, and they told me I should wait until she is 12, well she was still 5 then, and with her snoring worse than a sailor, gaging on her food, and strep 4 times this year, stops breathing at night, and her tonsils are huge, almost touching, and no I did not want to wait until she is 12. She will be going for surgery on June 19th. The surgeon was really nice, and on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the biggest tonsils) hers are a 4.

Comment from: Sharron A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 years old, and in very good health and pretty much only had tonsils issues. Had them removed on April 20th, I am 11 days out and to tell you the truth, it was and still is the hardest surgery I have ever done. First day was bad and no sleep for 2 nights. By the 3rd day the pain was intense. I have a lot of ear pain and swallowing sometimes is very hard but I did drink, and eat a lot of ice every chance I got, and also orange popsicles. I still have ear pain in my left ear and wasn't able to take the liquid pain meds I had to resort to Tylenol. So this could be why I have a lot of pain since I was unable to take the pain meds. If my tonsils weren't toxic, I would have never had them removed. I have had other surgeries and bounce back really quick but this has kicked my butt. I am a fitness instructor and will not be able to work for another week. Good Luck to anyone whose going to tackle this surgery but I am told I will be thankful in the end.

Comment from: Moms Little Trooper, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 28

At 11months we decided to have our sons Adenoids removed. Anyone thinking of having this procedure done to your child please make sure a sleep study is preformed, so you can gage before and after results. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to give him any relief. At 3 years old we decided to have a sleep study done because his snoring and episodes of sleep apnea was really a cause of major concern for us and the school and family members he would sleep over. So we met with a Pediatric Pulmonologist, he set us up for a sleep study. Once results were ready it was determined our son had serve sleep apnea and he snored like a grown man. We then met with an E.N.T., base on the sleep study results and what was observed during the visit. She quickly set us for tonsillectomy. Immediately after surgery there was a noticeable difference; light snoring and there still was some evidence of sleep apnea. 8 hours post op no more sleep apnea; 4days post op no more snoring and no more apnea. I'm so happy; GOD IS AWESOME! Our son sleeps like a normal child no more odds looks and his sleeping will no longer be the topic of discussion!

Comment from: Becca, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Tomorrow will be two weeks post-operation. Within 7 days I was able to eat soft food and talk again. The biggest thing for me was Cepacol throat drops and running a vaporizer while I slept. Also taking pain medicines on time. Jell-O and soup broth are pretty much the extent of the good that isn't painful to eat. If I had to do it again I would because I stay so sick, so often with chronic strep.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.