Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: Moms Little Trooper, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 28

At 11months we decided to have our sons Adenoids removed. Anyone thinking of having this procedure done to your child please make sure a sleep study is preformed, so you can gage before and after results. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to give him any relief. At 3 years old we decided to have a sleep study done because his snoring and episodes of sleep apnea was really a cause of major concern for us and the school and family members he would sleep over. So we met with a Pediatric Pulmonologist, he set us up for a sleep study. Once results were ready it was determined our son had serve sleep apnea and he snored like a grown man. We then met with an E.N.T., base on the sleep study results and what was observed during the visit. She quickly set us for tonsillectomy. Immediately after surgery there was a noticeable difference; light snoring and there still was some evidence of sleep apnea. 8 hours post op no more sleep apnea; 4days post op no more snoring and no more apnea. I'm so happy; GOD IS AWESOME! Our son sleeps like a normal child no more odds looks and his sleeping will no longer be the topic of discussion!

Comment from: Becca, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Tomorrow will be two weeks post-operation. Within 7 days I was able to eat soft food and talk again. The biggest thing for me was Cepacol throat drops and running a vaporizer while I slept. Also taking pain medicines on time. Jell-O and soup broth are pretty much the extent of the good that isn't painful to eat. If I had to do it again I would because I stay so sick, so often with chronic strep.

Comment from: LoudSnorer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm 24 years old and had my tonsillectomy and pharyngoplasty just this January 20, 2014. It was a lot of pain, ranging 8 out of 10, and I was worried because I still snore a lot. I hope this is just because of my swollen palate and uvula.

Comment from: lmgst15, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a 24-year-old female who had a tonsillectomy done. I'm not sure if I should consider this day two or three of post-op, but regardless this hasn't been that bad of a recovery so far. After surgery, I was a little bit sick from the anesthesia and of course my throat was sore. Once I got home, I drank water and ate mashed potatoes.

Comment from: Hadley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I'm 20 years old and about 19 days post-op. When I was looking up different blogs before getting the surgery I got very nervous. I've had tonsillitis many times and then mono really ruined them, but I was afraid this surgery was going to be worse than all of them. I can honestly say that it was totally worth it and isn't as painful as I was expecting. It is really important to stay on top of the meds and know that the most painful days are 5-8. I wasn't able to take my pain meds for very long because they upset my stomach, so I took Advil and Tylenol every 6 hours consistantly and it was okay. My worst day was day 5 where I was one of the 1-3% of the people who had post-op bleeding. I think this is because I woke up and my throat was too dry. My suggestion is to remain calm! Try not to swallow the blood (to avoid vomiting) and gargle ice water. I also called my doctor and unless it is a very large amount of blood he said it would most likely stop on its own, and it did. Looking back I'm really glad I got the surgery and your body has so much immune system tissue it doesn't even need them if they are getting infected all the time! I hope this helps!

Comment from: samantha p, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

ive had problems with strep throat and tonsillitis my entire life, getting sick approximately every 2 months. im 30 years old and my doctor finally referred me for surgery. im in day 4 of recovery and it hurts so much! day one was painful but being in the hospital and having morphine was great. day 2 was so painful i had to go to see my surgeon to get a prescription for percocet. tylenol 3s with codeine just were not cutting it for me. the percocet works great but i can only take it once a day before bed (i have little ones at home). day 3, pain seemed to taper off and was able to eat actual food! day 4, my ears feel like theyre throbbing, i also noticed the scabs are starting to fall off and its very painful. my throat feels like a big open wound at the moment. lots of ice cold drinks to bring down swelling, even an ice pack for the throat can help. anti-inflammatory medication and steroids are also helping lol i just read that once the scabs start to fall off, that is the last pain i will feel from this. i really hope so. relief is near!! this is the most pain i have felt from any kind of medical procedure and the recovery is worse than the recovery from childbirth. well, for me anyways. good luck to anyone getting this done. as long as u have lots of ice and your pain medication you will do great :)

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.