Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: samantha p, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

ive had problems with strep throat and tonsillitis my entire life, getting sick approximately every 2 months. im 30 years old and my doctor finally referred me for surgery. im in day 4 of recovery and it hurts so much! day one was painful but being in the hospital and having morphine was great. day 2 was so painful i had to go to see my surgeon to get a prescription for percocet. tylenol 3s with codeine just were not cutting it for me. the percocet works great but i can only take it once a day before bed (i have little ones at home). day 3, pain seemed to taper off and was able to eat actual food! day 4, my ears feel like theyre throbbing, i also noticed the scabs are starting to fall off and its very painful. my throat feels like a big open wound at the moment. lots of ice cold drinks to bring down swelling, even an ice pack for the throat can help. anti-inflammatory medication and steroids are also helping lol i just read that once the scabs start to fall off, that is the last pain i will feel from this. i really hope so. relief is near!! this is the most pain i have felt from any kind of medical procedure and the recovery is worse than the recovery from childbirth. well, for me anyways. good luck to anyone getting this done. as long as u have lots of ice and your pain medication you will do great :)

Comment from: Shanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am scheduled for my first-ever surgery this week and I am super scared. I have never had any form of surgery before and now I need a tonsillectomy. I'm not so much scared of the procedure but just being put to sleep. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a 24-year-old female and needed my tonsils out because of strep, tonsillitis, and mono. I am on day two, and I will say it does hurt, but not near as bad as I thought it was going to. I am taking my pain medicine regularly and resting and eating as much as I can. I heard potato soup is very good because it goes down smooth and is very filling. I would advise, however, not to look at your throat after the surgery. I made that mistake, and it almost made me throw up.

Comment from: nadia, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My daughter needed adenoidectomy and her tonsils were very big, the doctor advised to remove them.

Comment from: RosGirard, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am a 49 year old female with strep 3-6 times a year. So, I bit the bullet and scheduled my surgery for May. I am scared as hell because of what I have read. How does one keep the scabs from falling off too early causing bleeding, just one fear, there are many others!

Comment from: 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My 11 year old son is on day 5 post op for tonsils and adenoids removal. The hardest part for him is the swallowing. He still has trouble swallowing but fortunately is able to take small sips of Gatorade every 10 minutes. That has helped keep his energy up. He doesn't want to eat anything I offer. Thank goodness for Gatorade or we probably would have ended up in the ER for IV fluids. He slept through the night on day 4. He's lost some weight. He states a pain level of 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 when he swallows. That's with pain med Tylenol with codeine that he takes every 4 hours as needed. And he has needed it every 4 hours. I'm just counting down the days when my son can be his old self again. Good news is, he's not snoring loud like he used to.

Published: December 28

My son was 21 months when we decided to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. It was the best decision. My pediatrician and ENT both said that he needed it, but based on his age they were concerned. He did GREAT! What a difference it has made! He's no longer snoring like an adult, or having sleep apnea. He can finally breathe through his nose! It's been 2 weeks since the surgery, and I already can tell a huge difference!

Comment from: dramageek, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am getting my tonsils taking out on Thursday. I was getting really nervous about it until I read all the stories about how well people do during recovery. I have had two surgeries before this one, and I haven't needed to take much pain meds. And the anesthesia never once made me sick. Thanks for all the encouraging posts!

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.