Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: Hadley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I'm 20 years old and about 19 days post-op. When I was looking up different blogs before getting the surgery I got very nervous. I've had tonsillitis many times and then mono really ruined them, but I was afraid this surgery was going to be worse than all of them. I can honestly say that it was totally worth it and isn't as painful as I was expecting. It is really important to stay on top of the meds and know that the most painful days are 5-8. I wasn't able to take my pain meds for very long because they upset my stomach, so I took Advil and Tylenol every 6 hours consistantly and it was okay. My worst day was day 5 where I was one of the 1-3% of the people who had post-op bleeding. I think this is because I woke up and my throat was too dry. My suggestion is to remain calm! Try not to swallow the blood (to avoid vomiting) and gargle ice water. I also called my doctor and unless it is a very large amount of blood he said it would most likely stop on its own, and it did. Looking back I'm really glad I got the surgery and your body has so much immune system tissue it doesn't even need them if they are getting infected all the time! I hope this helps!

Comment from: dante81972, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My daughter is 6 and she is having her tonsils and adenoids taken out, I argued with the doctor for about 3 months, and they told me I should wait until she is 12, well she was still 5 then, and with her snoring worse than a sailor, gaging on her food, and strep 4 times this year, stops breathing at night, and her tonsils are huge, almost touching, and no I did not want to wait until she is 12. She will be going for surgery on June 19th. The surgeon was really nice, and on a scale of 1-4 (4 being the biggest tonsils) hers are a 4.

Comment from: Adimimium, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I'm 31 and underwent tonsillectomy 5 days ago. After swelling and paining for several years, the pain in the tonsil had almost gone, but one of the lymph gland keeps on swelling painfully whenever I go out in the open. My Doctor advised me to go for tonsillectomy 3 years ago, which I did this time only. After swelling and paining for several years, the pain in the tonsil had almost gone, but one of the lymph gland keeps on swelling painfully whenever I go out in the open. My Doctor advised me to go for tonsillectomy 3 years ago, which I did this time only. Now I'm having excruciating pain in the ear, unable to eat what I would like to eat, all these I am undergoing with a hope that I won't have problems in my tonsils or glands later on in life. Let us think positive. Today is only 5th day, so I cannot say on improvement, but it really does have pain in the ear, unable to eat what I would like to eat, all these I am undergoing with a hope that I won't have problems in my tonsils or glands later on in life. Let us think positive. Today is only 5th day, so I cannot say on improvement, but it really does hurt.

Comment from: Sharron A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 51 years old, and in very good health and pretty much only had tonsils issues. Had them removed on April 20th, I am 11 days out and to tell you the truth, it was and still is the hardest surgery I have ever done. First day was bad and no sleep for 2 nights. By the 3rd day the pain was intense. I have a lot of ear pain and swallowing sometimes is very hard but I did drink, and eat a lot of ice every chance I got, and also orange popsicles. I still have ear pain in my left ear and wasn't able to take the liquid pain meds I had to resort to Tylenol. So this could be why I have a lot of pain since I was unable to take the pain meds. If my tonsils weren't toxic, I would have never had them removed. I have had other surgeries and bounce back really quick but this has kicked my butt. I am a fitness instructor and will not be able to work for another week. Good Luck to anyone whose going to tackle this surgery but I am told I will be thankful in the end.

Comment from: Moms Little Trooper, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 28

At 11months we decided to have our sons Adenoids removed. Anyone thinking of having this procedure done to your child please make sure a sleep study is preformed, so you can gage before and after results. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to give him any relief. At 3 years old we decided to have a sleep study done because his snoring and episodes of sleep apnea was really a cause of major concern for us and the school and family members he would sleep over. So we met with a Pediatric Pulmonologist, he set us up for a sleep study. Once results were ready it was determined our son had serve sleep apnea and he snored like a grown man. We then met with an E.N.T., base on the sleep study results and what was observed during the visit. She quickly set us for tonsillectomy. Immediately after surgery there was a noticeable difference; light snoring and there still was some evidence of sleep apnea. 8 hours post op no more sleep apnea; 4days post op no more snoring and no more apnea. I'm so happy; GOD IS AWESOME! Our son sleeps like a normal child no more odds looks and his sleeping will no longer be the topic of discussion!

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.