Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications

What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Comment from: EuniqueS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am so scared to have the tonsillectomy surgery on the 17th now. I've had every one of these symptoms of tonsillitis listed in everyone's post. I hope mine goes well and for the ones after me. I hate taking pills so I don't know if the pain pills are going to help. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experience. It's helping and scaring me.

Comment from: jackboot45, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 25 years old and my tonsillectomy was on July 25. This has been the worst experience of my life. Swallowing anything hurts like hell, even the liquid hydrocodone burns and only takes the edge off. The morning of day 4 and 5 where the worst for me. Aside from sleeping in about 3 hour shifts, (about how long the pain medications work), upon waking it feels like my throat is sealed shut. The only way to get it open without crying is to gently gargle with lukewarm water. Once I get my pain medications down, I've found this to be extremely relieving. Take a hot shower. Really breathe in that hot, moist air. I've found that while I sit in there, letting the water run around the base of my skull/neck, taking deep belly breaths, I experience absolute relief of all pain. Today is day 6 and has been no exception. I've gone through almost 300 ml of hydrocodone 7.5/325 and 80 oxycodone 7.5/325 tablets. The doctor said my tonsils were the biggest, nastiest most foul-odored he had even seen. After being diagnosed with IgA nephropathy, my nephrologist suggested I get these bad boys removed to hopefully restore some kidney function. I just wanted to rant about my terrible experience to you, and share the hot shower advice.

Comment from: WorriedMom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My son who just turned 3 years old will be having both the tonsils and adenoids removed soon due to his sleep study results he had last year which showed a 66% out of 100% in breathing. I'm nervous for my little man.

Comment from: 3tonsillectomies, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 08

Sleep apnea and negative effects on the adenoids were the cause for my needing a tonsillectomy.

Comment from: TLWelder, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I'm a 26-year-old male. I needed my tonsils removed because I was sick from November 2012 to March 2013 from a bacterial infection. I got my tonsils removed 12 days ago and I am doing much better now, but it still hurts to swallow. I have eaten some things like hamburger patties and stuff like that, but I always needed lots of water to go with it. To me, it feels like food is getting caught in the area where my tonsils used to be and causing food to not want to go down, so for now, I am back on soft stuff. My doctor said that this is normal and after another 2 to 3 weeks, I won't even notice. I think that the worst day of pain for me was on the seventh day. I needed extra pain medication and ended up sleeping the whole day.

Comment from: Moose, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I snore loudly at night and it apparently bothers my family a lot. I have trouble breathing when moving (even walking) and I can't seem to hear things well at all. My doctor advised me to get a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy along with ear tubes put in. Now I've become worried about the surgery, which is in a week. I've had only one other surgery and it was for the extraction of my wisdom teeth. I want to know how painful it is on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain) and how hard it is to eat or drink on the same scale. Please help—I'm scared.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever 17 months ago. I've been on antibiotics (IM shot once a month) since then. Even with the monthly antibiotics I've had at least one, probably two, strep throat infections in the last year. I had been referred for a tonsillectomy as a child and then again about 10 years ago because of recurrent strep infections. My doctors agreed that to protect my heart my tonsils needed to go. I had the tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I'm hungry, can't talk, and it hurts to swallow. Somehow, even through the pain I'm experiencing right now I can tell that my body is going to feel better without my tonsils. The doctors report that my immune system will be less stressed and that really feels like it's going to be true.

Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.