Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: slowlydying, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am now on my fourth day out of tonsillectomy surgery and this has probably been the worst few days of my life. My last meal was the night before surgery (Tuesday) and since then I have had four popsicles, a couple bites of potatoes, applesauce, and baby food. I want food so badly but I know that not only can I not eat, but I can barely swallow. I started having an earache today and it's been miserable. My doctor have me all my medicine in pill form, which is just cruel. I did throw up the day after surgery and had to go back into the hospital from dehydration and extreme pain. I can't even open my mouth far enough to look at my throat, but hopefully it'll get better. Good luck my friends, this is awful.

Comment from: JAC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was terrified after reading others' experiences after adult tonsillectomy. It was not that horrible for me. Basically day 1, 2, and 3 almost no pain. Day 3 I had a follow up and he offered a steroid/Toradol shot. I accepted but didn't feel overwhelmed by pain. That got me about 24 hours of absolutely no pain. When that wore off, the pain was evident, but I never even took my pain medicines. I did, however, go back and got another steroid/Toradol shot, which got me through another 24 hours. The pain probably peaked day 6 and I was surprised that it lasted through about day 10, but my ENT was awesome and gave me a 3rd shot. For this reason, I never needed my pain medicines. I did set an alarm to take Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock. Day 11 I started feeling better. Today is day 14 and I can eat whatever I want and am totally better. I drank a lot of water throughout the 14 days and used a humidifier. I cared for my 2 year old the whole time with no help and I was ok.

Comment from: guest, Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am currently 7 day post tonsillectomy. I suffered from tonsillitis for years and at the end of last year had it constantly over a 3 month period, I was bed ridden, and in extreme pain. The day of my surgery I woke up in pain and was given morphine I drank some water which stung quite badly. That night I attempted to eat, and only got down a couple spoonsful of jelly. The next day I ate scrambled eggs and pears for breakfast and was released from hospital. That night I had KFC (Kentucky fried chicken) for dinner which was painful to eat. The next day I ate a lot of custards and some fruit. The day after that I ate chicken carbonara and managed some pizza apart from the crust. While it was painful I managed to eat fairly normal till day 6. Since then I haven't been able to eat anything really, it has been excruciating pain trying to swallow food, and again today all I've eaten is some yoghurt and custard. I am absolutely starving! I have horrible ear aches which are relieved a little with heat packs. I am taking Endone 3 hourly, ibuprofen 3 times a day and also Panadol when needed as well as an antibiotic to avoid infection. I wake up all through the night in pain, I get 2 hours sleep maximum at a time so I am fairly tired! I am hoping in the next few days the pain subsides a bit. Last night I slept with a vaporizer on and I also sleep sitting up on 3 pillows. I have found this experience quite painful but I know in the long run I will no longer deal with serious bouts of tonsillitis.

Comment from: Alabama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had to have a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy because my tonsils were so big. Kissing tonsils they say. I'm on day 5 and that pain has gotten a little more tolerable. I've only been able to eat yogurt, popsicles, and drink water and tea since the surgery. The mornings are the worst trying to swallow. I have to take a Benadryl and eat yogurt to mix with the medicine which I'm allergic to because it burns my throat to swallow. The bright side of it all I'll breathe better and will not have to sleep on a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine anymore. Wish everybody else good luck and a speedy recovery.

Comment from: 26yrMale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

On day 1 I had tonsillectomy surgery at 9 am. I got put to sleep and woke up at 11:30 feeling dazed from anesthetic. My pain was like 2 out of 10, I told the nurse I was feeling 7 out of 10 so I can get an extra shot of morphine. About 20 minutes later I really needed to go take a leak and I was able to go on my own but they wouldn't let me because I was in the patient recovery section. I would have to be transferred in order to use the washroom. So I got transferred to the patient checkup section. I walked to go take a leak, and got a couple of Popsicles. I left the hospital about an hour 2 hours afterwards. I got home, lay upwards, had ice cold water only, and rested. Important thing is, when you swallow it hurts terribly, so tilt your head up every time you swallow. Don't clear your throat! Day 2, I drove myself to go buy ice cream, yogurt, juice, Popsicles. Continue swallowing by tilting your head up so it help with the pain. Rest all day and don't talk! Don't clear your throat! Day 3, I woke up with a load of mucus and phlegm and cleared it out. I brushed my teeth with cold water only. I brushed my tongue also. I ate ice cream, drank juice and a lot of water! I drove downtown, walked around in the sun to get some vitamin D. At night time I ate chicken noodle soup, and I was chewing lightly. Eat the noodles, only make sure they are well cooked and soft. I went to bed hoping to sleep some more. Day 4 which is today, May 5 2016, I am eating noodle soup. Make sure it is well cooked, throw some onions parsley or anything green that gets cooked and soft, you need some greens in you. I ate scrambled eggs and 3 bowls of different type of noodle soup. I drank a lot of guava juice and had coconut Popsicle, some crab soup with fish maw soup or something from a Chinese restaurant. Today was the day I took a shower. I cleared my throat, oh yeah, have a cup of water with you always! A note: the pain so far was worst on first and second day. I haven't taken the pain medicine oxycodone that I bought to take home yet. I am managing without it, be a man and take the pain, don't mess up your body. I only took the amoxicillin every 4 hours every single day to prevent an infection. Make sure you have water by you side! It is not so bad and I am managing.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?