Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: AubzisAubz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Worst pain ever! I'm a week out of tonsillectomy and the pain gets worse every day. I've read it is supposed to get better but for me it is not. I'm usually not one to be upset over pain and cry, I've had injuries and surgery before, but this is absolutely horrible. I can't speak, eat or drink, feels like someone is cutting my throat open constantly.

Comment from: kbv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have recently had a tonsillectomy and am currently on day 6 of my recovery and I thought I would share for anyone who is worried, reading like I did beforehand and freaking out. I am 30 years old and I have had several operations in the past and this isn't one of the worst which I thought by reading reviews it would be. The first few days following the operation was fine, I was eating normally and talking normally, day 5 and 6 (today) has been the worst, yesterday I struggled to talk and even swallow water but when you are not talking/eating the pain isn't there constantly. I would highly suggest taking the medications regularly to keep the pain at bay. It isn't as bad as originally thought, try drinking a lot of water, and soup is good. You do tend to lose your appetite, I used to be always hungry and following the operation I am not, I think it is a lot to do with the pain killers. Do not worry, it will be worth it in the end.

Comment from: Dano, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had several throat operations as an adult. The first was an extended tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. The second was a widening of the throat and tightening of the palette. These operations hurt like you would not believe. I thought it was all ice cream and jelly, but I found out differently! The first operation was just before Christmas and it made it a miserable period. I nearly cried with the swallowing pain a few times. The medications needed to be taken every few hours day and night, and their effect wore out before I was due for the next dose. The second operation was in Colombia where they are more liberal with their prescriptions (Voltaren and a pain killer) but even there I preferred not to eat than take the pain. I lost about 5 kg. Towards the end I discovered that raw egg goes down very easily. A few gulps and you've had a more or less pain free meal. That discovery really saved me. Also useful is soaking chia or linseeds in water; it creates a slippery drink that goes down more easily than water itself. Also a little bit of salt in water (or tea), and baking soda helps to make each sip go down easier. I really hope this helps some people.

Comment from: Liz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

The worst thing I've done is to have this tonsillectomy. I don't know if it is the level of care after the operation that has been bad. I was given no antibiotics afterwards or painkillers, just paracetamol. I then bled out a week after the operation and had to have another operation. I had stitches, however I am left with a constantly swollen throat still 9 months after the operation. It is not sore, but red and swollen, that's because I think all my throat nerves are damaged. My doctor won't refer me yet as it is too soon. I wished I'd never had it done, I'm depressed with it. The feeling something is in the back of your throat all the time, my taste is not normal and I cannot get words out correctly. I have to really concentrate when having a conversation, though talking is not painful. My doctor told me to drink ice cold water to make the swelling go down, that's all they've told me to do.

Comment from: Shey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am on day 5 from my surgery and am doing ok. On day 3 I started bleeding and had to go back into surgery. Day 3 was definitely the worst so far, which may have been due to the bleeding. The ear pain is definitely there but tolerable. I did not drink much the first several days but since I had the second surgery I have drunk lots and it has helped the pain tremendously. I am having trouble eating much of anything but can get apple sauce and instant potatoes down. I have done my best to stay on top of my pain medicine and that helps keep the pain manageable. I don't regret having it done. I had the initial surgery done on Thursday, second surgery done on Sunday and am back at work (desk job, minimal talking) on Tuesday.

Comment from: Mumu17, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

Today is post operation day 4. I postponed my tonsillectomy for 17 years, with allergic rhinitis and frequent infections I decided to get it done finally because I got annoyed. It hurts so badly. And I'm hungry so I'm grumpy. Day 1 post operation I felt like I got hit by a truck. I get thirsty and hungry, really got to think twice about taking that sip because it is so painful despite pain medications. It doesn't bleed though. I am already imagining all those solid food I could eat soon. I wonder how long it will take for me to get to normal. I just had baby food and ice water. I miss fried chicken!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?