Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Scorpoionwoman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had my tonsils out on 4/7. The first day was easy, other than the being nervous and feeling weak from the anesthesia they give you for the surgery, I was great. The doctor told me that I had the largest tonsils he had ever seen! I also had an adenoid removal and my uvula clipped. The first week was hard. I was so hungry but in so much pain I couldn"t even really fathom eating. I was heavily sedated as much as I could be all week. I drank lots of clear liquids and slept a lot. Beginning of week 2 was even worse. I was in so much pain it made me cry, which made me hurt more. I ended up back at the emergency room for the pain and bleeding that had started. They gave me pain medications, but none of the pharmacists in my area carried liquid narcotics. So I had to get pills and force them down half at a time. However I was glad to do so just to not be in pain anymore. I made myself drink lots and lots of water and clear apple juice all through the whole thing, and I even slept elevated. Here I am week 3 day 2. Every day I wake up it is just a little bit better. I am able to eat more solid foods now, however nothing with flavor, and if I get a whiff of anyone"s perfume or a strong odor I immediately start uncontrollably coughing. This hurts a great deal, but it's unfortunately unavoidable. This experience had been nothing but hard and painful, but I will say this. I don"t snore as much or hard as I used to, and I can breathe easier as long as there isn"t an odor around. I know the benefits of doing it outweigh the negatives. I don"t regret doing it, but I will say this. It is not easy, and it is certainly not pain free. At least not in my experience. I don"t wish this on even my worst enemy.

Comment from: Mla0088, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

This message board really helped me during the first few days following my tonsillectomy. It"s really nice to be able to read what others experience on what days. Today is one week and one day post-surgery and I feel pretty good. Honestly, I felt pretty good days one and two, as well. Other than vomiting immediately after surgery, I thought I was in for a pretty easy recovery. The roughest days were definitely day 4 to 7. Days 4 and 5, the pain in my throat and my ears was absolutely insane. I wanted to scream, but I couldn"t even talk. Then on day 7 I woke up and threw up several times which hurt terribly. Even with throwing up, I had zero bleeding throughout my recovery. Not sure how I got that lucky. Today I can see that most of my scabs have fallen off and I can eat a lot easier. Like everyone else on here has said, drink a lot of water! All the time. I lived on oatmeal and popsicles. Chai tea and Gatorade were good when I couldn"t stand water anymore and needed flavor. Just lie in bed, drink water and keep a timer set for your medicines. Good luck to those recovering and about to have surgery!

Comment from: LISA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had my tonsils and adenoids out on Thursday, 4/3. Today is 2 weeks. I went back to work on 4/15. I read a lot of information here a couple of months ago and got great tips and read a lot of horror stories too. I want to write about my experience. I am almost 46 in a few weeks. I wasn"t in excruciating pain but it did hurt the first few days. I took pain medication for 3 days and the pain level was 3 with the medications. On Monday, day 4 I just took Tylenol 500mg 3 times a day and pain level was still level 3. It was bearable. The pain medicines made me too constipated and I had to stop taking them. The day I came home from surgery I drank ice cold water every 30 minutes, big gulps. I even set my phone alarm in the middle of the night to wake up and take a few big gulps every 30 minutes. On day 2 to day 8, I drank big gulps every hour and still used my phone alarm to wake me up every hour to drink. I didn"t want my throat dry. I drank ice water and coconut water constantly. I really believe the constant drinking helped with pain and fast healing. I used an ice pack on my neck the first 2 days. On day 4 to day 8, I also started drinking carrot juice to help heal faster. I slept up for 8 days in my chair. I didn"t want any pressure on my neck. I had no ear pain. I had no bleeding. I felt my recovery went very well. I am glad my tonsils are gone. I had tonsil stones constantly. It was so worth it to me to have it done and at my age. Stay positive, drink lots of water even though it hurts and every day it gets better.

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 24 year old. Today marks one week after tonsils were removed. Remember, it"s so true that everyone handles this process differently. Personally, day 1 was the best for me because the medicines from the surgery center lasted a good while. Today, day 7, has been terrible. I"m having an awful recovery, mostly because my body doesn"t really react to pain medications. My ear pain is actually almost worse than the throat pain, dang, that hurts. I went back to the doctor today because I"m having such a bad time. He prescribed me stronger medicines, but said don"t expect much because days 5 to 8 are the worst and he calls them the "peak of pain". He says by day 10 to 11, most patients finally can tell an improvement. Power to those who make it sound like this process is a piece of cake, I"m way jealous, but I think it"s better to set expectations that you really will feel blah for 10 days. Good luck!

Comment from: Keke, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Today marks day 2 since my surgery. I must say that it isn"t as bad as I thought. Yesterday after leaving the hospital I was in a lot of pain and just wanted to sleep. After I picked up my medication I quickly went home and fell asleep. When I got up this morning I felt pretty great. The trick to that was setting my alarm for every three hours to get up and drink water. By the morning I felt fine. I was a little sore in my jaw but it just felt like muscle pain rather than sharp pains. I felt good enough to go take a walk in Target with my mom and go grocery shopping; getting outside really helps because of the fresh air. On our way I stopped at Starbucks and got an iced drink and used a spoon to get it down my throat. I was prescribed morphine, which is an amazing help with the pain. I have not thrown up or had any bleeding yet but I will keep you updated!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?