Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: VDuncs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am currently on day 11 of recovery. I just wanted to say how convinced I was after reading endless accounts on sites such as this about how bad tonsillectomy recoveries were that I was in for a lot of pain. But fortunately, I experienced very low levels of pain (far less pain than I would have with a normal spout of tonsillitis). I would rate it a 4/10 on the worst days. So there is hope for those expecting to get one that it may go smoothly. Maybe I am just lucky, but I think eating as normally as you can, and taking your painkillers religiously are the best tips I can give you.

Comment from: Debbie C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had my tonsillectomy on September 25. It was done by the tissue welding technique. I was kept in the hospital overnight and kept on IV fluid and given liquid Tylenol every 4 hours and morphine upon request. I took the morphine twice during the hospital stay. Not because I was in pain but because I was afraid not to and have the pain that everyone speaks of. I got up in the morning and was able to eat some eggs and oatmeal. I have been able to eat a soft diet and drink everyday with no pain. I have also been taking amoxicillin 3 times a day since the surgery. I am now on day 8. I had no swelling. The second day my ears were throbbing a little when lying flat but went away if I stayed elevated. While on hydrocodone I felt no pain at all. I have been sleeping all night since the surgery. I took the medication along with anti-nausea medicine for the first 6 days although I think I could have gotten by with over the counter Tylenol but didn't want to chance it. I have been off all medication for the past 2 days except for the antibiotic and only feel a very mild sore throat when swallowing. I do get a little tickle every once in a while and ice chips help with that. It does hurt to yawn but overall it has been a very easy recovery. After reading the horror stories, I cancelled my surgery that I was supposed to have last year. I researched this technique and contacted Microline to find surgeons that used this procedure. They were extremely helpful. I did have to travel 2.5 hours but was able to have my consultation and pre-operation procedure on the same day. I hope this has been helpful.

Comment from: turtle2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am 22 and on day 7 of my recovery. Tonsillectomy recovery was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. I could eat a little the first few days, soup, ice cream etc. Then the pain became so intense I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the time. I felt so sick threw up 3 times on day 4. I had hunger pain, ear pain, head pain, neck and throat pain. So on day 7 I am waiting for scabs to hopefully fall off. I am still in pain but actually able to function this morning. I hope it is over soon. Nothing helps and nothing makes it easier. Good luck to anyone else reading all these posts wondering when you will get better.

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and I have not experienced much pain. As soon as I woke after the operation I drank iced water and ate a baked potato and some yogurt. My throat felt sore but I was able to eat and went home and had chips and a glass of red wine. I only took paracetamol every 6 hours, slept slightly elevated. I thought I would be in a lot more pain, when I have had tonsillitis the pain has been so much worse. I am now on day 5 and my throat feels nearly healed, I can feel the scabs at the back of my throat but I think I will be ok in a day or two. I am so glad I had my tonsils removed, after suffering tonsillitis 5 times this year my suffering will finally be over. Don't fear this operation, it is the best thing I ever did. Just constantly drink iced water even through the night and eat as much as you can and you will be fine.

Comment from: phillyman2344, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on 9/21/15. The first 3 days were pretty easy with some pain reaching a high of 6 out of 10. I was prescribed 5 mg of Oxycontin and this managed the pain pretty well taking 1 or 2 pills every 4 hours. Day 5 my first scab fell off in the lower part of my throat and the pain has got significantly worse. Day 6 the scab on the other side of my lower throat fell off leaving only the 2 upper scabs left. In days 5 to 8 I have had significant pain especially in the middle of the night. Lucky for me I haven't had any nausea and have been eating as much as possible. Drinking lots and lot of fluids has helped. My goal over the next few days is to get off the Oxycontin and use it sparingly until I get through these last couple of days. From what I have read it seems like day 11 is the turning point.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?