Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Here is my update. I am on day 9 after tonsillectomy surgery. Part of my scab came off after coughing too much and I went to the emergency room. I am lucky it doesnt have to be re-cauterized. The pain is still in the jaw and ear but not also the top of my mouth. I still have swelling primarily next to my tongue which makes eating difficult. I barely eat at all. Normally it is a few bites of something and I am done. My diet of water and Gatorade works for me. I finally follow up with my ENT tomorrow. I am ready for this to be over. I have had chunky ice cream, sushi, and meatloaf cravings for a long time. I am hoping to eat food tonight. I just hope I am done hurting.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Update on my tonsillectomy; yesterday was the worst day so far. The ear pain started and I am dependent on my medications, especially now at 4 am. Problem is, liquid Norco burns. It is worth it though. I have used the ice packs around my neck much better. I am still talking, my family is too impatient to let me write anything. I am also very hungry. I know the pain will only get worse. I don't know if I am even healing properly. Thank goodness I have two weeks off. I will keep posting as days go on.

Comment from: S2s45, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 25, almost 26 in less than a month. After many years with gigantic tonsils and this past year being rather difficult and cutting off my air supply, I had my tonsils removed on 11.3.15. Day one was a late surgery, minimal pain and I had to stay overnight due to possible sleep apnea. I have been taking my liquid Norco which burns and my antibiotics. Day two was also easy but long. I was very tired the whole day and coughed up some blood clots but I was able to talk still since day 1. Day three is today. A little harder to talk. I can feel the scabs starting. I made the mistake of looking at my throat. I don't have a weak stomach but goodness, it looked nasty. I am taking it easy. I am on all liquids. I am not looking forward to major scab days.

Comment from: Jadehawk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 37 years old and had my tonsillectomy surgery on October 28, 2015. I am on day 8 of recovery. The pain is worse than any tonsillitis attack I have experienced so far, I have an attack at least 4 or 5 times a year (since I was 5 years old), and only antibiotics did anything to treat them; and the last year only by injection (pills no longer worked). I finally found a doctor who agreed to do my surgery and I said it can't be that bad. I was wrong, it is that bad. Pain from a scale of 1 to 10 will be a 10 to 13, especially after you sleep, you will wake up and feel razor blades on your throat. I am on 3 pills of Percocet 5 mg/325 mg every 6 hours. I originally was on one pill every 4 hours but my doctor changed it after my wife called the 3rd day and told him I had not had one hour of sleep and that I was still awake and in pain. Three pills did the trick a little. It takes 1 hour for them to take effect and at the 1 hour mark you have about 15 minutes where you can attempt to eat and drink something. I read that ice water helps but in my case anything super cold made it worse. Ice packs do work, they calm you down once you place them around your neck. I use them daily. My tongue hurts just as bad as my throat, I do not know why. Maybe they used a clamp during surgery. This makes it even worse when trying to eat. If you decide to do this surgery have ice packs at home, make sure nothing you eat has any salt! It does not matter how little you will notice it. Good luck. Will I have done it if I knew it was this bad? Yes, no matter what, 2 or 3 weeks of this will be better than a lifetime of on and off tonsillitis attacks.

Comment from: Cassie119300, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 21 soon to be 22 and I had my tonsillectomy today. I am running on 5 hours of sleep and still haven't felt the need to sleep yet. I was very nervous about this surgery for a month straight but it all happened so fast. They gave me something to make me slightly woozy and the last thing I remember was them hooking up those heart monitor stickies, I must have passed out right after. I awoke in recovery feeling no sorer than a little sore throat, there was a nurse there who handed me an ice pack and checked my vitals. My eyes were a little heavy, but I realized I could talk. Then I could keep my eyes open and 20 minutes later I was taken back to my room. Back in the room they had me eat a Popsicle (blueberry), let me drink some water, and made sure I urinated okay. They had me sign some papers and I was all good to go, they even gave me the ice pack. I am on all liquid medicine. I am currently taking Tylenol 500, a bubblegum flavored amoxicillin, and hydrocodone. I am only to use the hydrocodone as needed and so far so good on the Tylenol. I am also using a Vicks cool mist vaporizer with aromatherapy, it works very nice. The only downside so far for me at least is feeling phlegmy, and having an itchy throat here and there. Though, I stopped smoking cigarettes as of last night, and have cough some times since surgery. Upon waking up I began coughing but the nurse said it was from smoking. I try and cough as gentle as I can but when I do it is not the end of the world. It doesn't hurt badly and I am doing great. I have eaten baby cereal, baby food, popsicles, slushies, Gatorade, chunk baby jar food, and had water. I will update soon. Good luck to those who were as nervous as I. I'm still nervous but for me the worst part was not knowing what I was waking up to. But I am nowhere near as nervous as before it is finally done with. I had zero nausea.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?