Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: KSD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Today is day 10 after my tonsillectomy surgery. The first few days were the worst. Best advice I saw on here was to drink lots of water. The times I practically drank nonstop was best. The first few days I also used ice on my throat. I don"t know if it did anything. But it made me feel better, possibly distracted me. I slept elevated until day 7 or 8th day. Laying on my back was awful. Also, sleeping sucked in general. Naps in 2-3 hour bits were best because I woke up in the mornings with my mouth sore and dry from so long not drinking. Definitely take pain medications every 4 hours. Room temperature water was unpleasant. Iced water was best. I ate apple sauce, ice cream, pudding, and Jell-O. Around day 5 I added pasta that was over cooked. Around day 6/7 I tried smoothies, egg salad and tuna salad; as long as the pieces were small! I feared day 7 because of things I read. So I was very careful. I rested. I drank lots of water and tried not to talk too much. I survived day 7, no problem. My throat still hurts when swallowing but it"s not too bad. I am still taking pain medications every 4 hours. Days 8 to 10 were the best. I still needed lots of rest on day 8 though. I wish I had 2 more days off work. I feel like I could use the rest. But back to work today for me. It was the best decision I ever made. The pain was never worse than tonsillitis. It just lasted longer and I already can breathe a million times better than before. I can"t wait to be healed!

Comment from: lizzypoo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 18 days post tonsillectomy surgery and my throat still hurts. But I think I had it easier than a lot of people. I could swallow right away and made sure I drank lots of water. I woke myself up with my phone alarm every 20 minutes through the night for a drink, and gradually worked up to the 2 hours I"m at now. If I don"t drink through the night, my throat gets very sore and dry. I barely left my bedroom for the first week. If I felt tired, I slept. I read a lot. I did have a little ear pain around day 6, but it wasn"t unbearable. I used warm "salt socks" to help with that. I was on Percocet and it worked fairly well, and I took it every 4 hours for the first week. I made sure I ate (mostly noodles and blended soup) so I healed faster. And I made sure I took a stool softener. I chewed gum and sucked on cough candies. I read a bunch of forums beforehand, and just listened to everyone else"s hints and tips. And I was lucky, I didn"t see even a drop of blood.

Comment from: Adam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my tonsils removed 4 days ago. I did a lot of reading and it made me nervous about the whole thing. I am glad I didn"t let everyone else"s bad experience make it worse then what it was. It has been very manageable, the pain. I haven"t been able to eat anything yet, which sucks but it"s alright. I"m not really hungry. I have a few tips: 1. Don"t listen to anyone else, everyone will heal differently. 2. Ice cream and dairy will make you choke on your own mucus. 3. Don"t be one of those "I don"t like pain pills." They are given because without them you"d be in incredible pain. 4. Be optimistic. A poor attitude will make your life much worse. 5. Take it slow, but stay busy. It"s not that bad.

Comment from: stargirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I"m nearly 20, and I am on day 7 of my tonsillectomy recovery. Day 1 was terrible, waking up from anesthesia was not easy for me, my head was fuzzy for hours and I threw up almost immediately after I woke up. They gave me a bag and sent me home. The rest of the day, I was in and out of consciousness and I threw up 3 more times. My dad ended up going to the 24 hour pharmacy to get me nausea medicine, as the pain medications would not stay down, and it was really starting to hurt. Day 2 was a little easier, I could keep the pain medication down and it seemed to work for the most part. I couldn"t get any food down, but I was able to drink water. On the 3rd day, I couldn"t believe the pain I felt. The back of my throat was on fire, and the soreness of swallowing caused me more pain than I"d ever felt. It felt like every time I had ever had tonsillitis, all at once. Not only did it hurt inside, but my neck, ears and jaw hurt every time I moved. Forcing water down nearly brought tears, and although my stomach growled, I didn"t dare go near food. These back and forth good days and bad days have stayed true. I have had days where I could talk at a lower volume than my normal voice, and days where I had to write down anything I had to say. My breath is so foul I can taste it, I"ve even vomited as a result. The white scabbing hasn"t fallen off yet, to my dismay, but it feels as though it may be starting. I wouldn"t wish this agony on my worst enemy. All I can say is, I hope it"s worth it.

Comment from: Coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am going into my 6th week post tonsillectomy, I have zero pain and it still feels difficult/"funny” when swallowing on the side that had a large pocket removed. Other than that "funny" feeling my taste buds were impacted some so I'm taking zinc to help with that. I was assured this would heal and restricted to minimal eating for 8 to 9 days. I describe this surgery as the most painful experience in my life and I have had several surgeries. The good part was that my surgeon described it to a "t" so I was prepared!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?