Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: kbellsss, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am 24 years old and had my tonsillectomy on October 6, 2015. My pain level after surgery was about a 6 even after the medicine. I was able to eat Jell-O and drink ice water but I was not really craving much post-surgery anyway. The first 3 or 4 days, I was able to eat and drink most things. It hurt, but was not too bad. The worst of the pain was the ear aches and headaches as opposed to throat pain. I thought I was invincible and returned back to work in less than a week. By the start of the second week (once the steroids were gone), I was dying! I could not eat, drink or swallow without being in excruciating pain. I had to take on and just rest. It is day 13, pain level is a 3, 5 when I eat sometimes. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow. I am hoping I will be back to normal soon.

Comment from: Zainab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I thought tonsillectomy is an easy and slight harmless procedure. But goodness, I was wrong. The first four days were the worst, I couldn't eat, drink or even swallow my own spit. On day 4 I finally started swallowing my spit, and I have to say that was the best decision ever. Now I can sleep easily and not worried about spitting after every few minutes. It is day 7 and I'm still in pain and I have lost 4 pounds because I can't eat anything.

Comment from: JoSo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 60 year old female who should have had tonsillectomy done when I was a kid! Main reason for surgery was tonsil stones with sore throat. Today is day 6 and I am still taking painkillers every 5 to 6 hours, mostly Tylenol 3 with codeine. It hurts to talk and swallow. I'm still on soft cool, or cold foods and no scabs have fallen off. If it is an 11 day turnaround, I can't wait to wake up on day 11. My throat and tongue are swollen to the point where I can't even see back there, which is worse than yesterday. I hope it is worth it when I am healed up!

Comment from: sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am on day 7 of my tonsillectomy. I am dying. I have had good days and bad. The worst is getting up in the morning and dealing with my kids. I cannot talk and I have 2 small children that need constant direction. I am starving. I was told I could eat soft foods on the day after but I can barely eat a thing. Not only does my throat hurt, the back of my tongue hurts. It feels like it has been chewed up. I ate scrambled eggs on day 2 and tried again on day 3 and 4 and could not eat them. I have been living off popsicles, Jell-O, chicken broth, and tea. I manage to get a couple bites of this or that down from time to time but if it doesn't hurt, it burns. Sometimes even the popsicles burn. This morning I had applesauce and it burned. I dread sleeping. I set alarms on my phone to get up and at least take a sip of something. I was told using a humidifier would help. I believe it has some. I have had some awful drainage since the surgery. That caused me to miss some sleep. Every time I dozed off I would wake up not being able to breathe. I was told to steer away from dairy as it would cause mucus and coughing. I cannot have coffee or anything with flavor. Heartburn and reflux are enemy number 1. I have had small fever here and there and times of utter fatigue. I am back at work but only because I do bookkeeping. I am hiding in my office away from everyone.

Comment from: Mimc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the tonsillectomy surgery on September 29th. I was super worried because of what I read about the recovery and what my doctor said about it also. Days 1 and 2 for me were not bad at all, lots of soft foods but was able to talk with ease and really no pain! I was taking 1/2 a Percocet every 3 hours for pain instead of a full one because I don't do well with them! Well, days 3 until now which is day 8, it's gotten worse and worse! The pain is absolutely horrible and it's a challenge to swallow without bad pain! My ears are killing me. I'm sleeping maybe 2 hours maximum at a time and making sure I keep it wet with ice water! Today is my 1 week checkup so I will post how the next few days go! I can't wait until this is done because it really is awful!

Comment from: VDuncs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am currently on day 11 of recovery. I just wanted to say how convinced I was after reading endless accounts on sites such as this about how bad tonsillectomy recoveries were that I was in for a lot of pain. But fortunately, I experienced very low levels of pain (far less pain than I would have with a normal spout of tonsillitis). I would rate it a 4/10 on the worst days. So there is hope for those expecting to get one that it may go smoothly. Maybe I am just lucky, but I think eating as normally as you can, and taking your painkillers religiously are the best tips I can give you.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?