Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Raihan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

This is day 2 of my recovery from tonsillectomy. I feel good, feel a bit better than the first day, which was my surgery day. While swallowing of course I am still in pain, but tolerable. Spraying the Difflam spray really is a little hard. I need to open my mouth very big since my tongue is quite big as well. Other than that, thankfully it's good. I have been eating bean curd, plain cold water, porridge and yoghurt.

Comment from: ashiilove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a tonsillectomy back in 2012. It was a wonderful experience. I woke up in recovery after being put under with general anesthesia and was in a mild amount of pain. The coating at the back of my throat was more annoying than the pain. I instantly asked for water, in the midst of still waking up and had 4 glasses within 20 minutes. I was wheeled out of recovery 30 minutes post operation, in which I continued to drink fluids, suck on ice blocks and keep my pain medications up to date. Within 9 hours I was offered an early discharge as I was recovering well. By day 2 I decided that I would try and eat, so I had a roast dinner of all things. It took me approximately 40 minutes to eat, with some pain (nowhere near as bad as tonsillitis). By day 5 I was no longer on pain medication and felt almost 100 percent. I do not regret getting the operation done and I cannot stress how important it is to keep drinking to aid in recovery!

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am on day 5 of my tonsillectomy recovery. I had to be kept overnight after the surgery due to extreme vomiting from the anesthesia. Early morning of day 3, I woke up with the worst sore throat of my life! It felt like I had swallowed razor blades and molten lava at the same time. Because of multiple allergies, the only pain medication available for me is Tylenol. The pain became manageable and I thought I was over a hurdle. Then, on day 4, I awoke to extreme pain in my jaw. My husband told me that the surgeon said that my jaws don't open very wide so he had to do a lot of manipulating the jaw. Yesterday was actually a pretty good day except for the appearance of diarrhea. You know, liquid in equals liquid out! Pain was very low and manageable. Then this morning, I awoke to more throat pain and the most ungodly, awful taste imaginable in my mouth! It literally tastes like something died in my mouth. I have my follow-up appointment with my surgeon today. My main concerns right now are the fact that I have diarrhea, the awful taste in my mouth, and that the left side of my tongue is numb.

Comment from: Nicholas C., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I am just now on day 5 after tonsillectomy and it is still pretty rough. I expected this not to be nearly as bad. I had my septum done at the same time. The first few days were the worst, sore throat every time I would swallow and I wasn't actually able to swallow on day 1. My uvula is probably 8 times its normal size. Narcotics didn't appear to bring my any relief. I was in the hospital for a few days. I expected to be further along at this point. I am craving food but pain makes that not as much of a priority. Tylenol helps some but it doesn't last quite long enough. I can't apply any pressure on the outside of my nose at all yet as it causes a lot of pain just trying to clean. I took 2 weeks off work and I think I will need at least that at this point.

Comment from: litalben, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a 25 year old female and after suffering from tonsillitis and tonsil stones for years, my ENT finally decided I should have tonsillectomy. So on Thursday (3 days ago) I went in to the procedure. At first I was very scared because some of the articles I read from other people about their surgery made it sound like the most horrific experience in the world so I went in expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I had an outpatient procedure done, I went to the hospital at 6 am, my procedure was at 8 am, and by 11 am I woke up from the anesthesia. The nurse gave me some ice chips and Jell-O and told me once I urinate I will be discharged. By 1 pm I was already at home. My ENT prescribed me Percocet which was helpful at first. Day 1 the pain was very bearable, as I was still drugged out from what they gave me through the IV at the hospital and I was taking Percocet every 4 hours for pain. I wish they would have given it to me in a liquid form because the pills are huge, but I have been taking them because it really does help. Day 2 was very hard for me, I was very hungry and it hurts really bad to swallow. I drank a lot of water, it is very important to stay hydrated much as it hurts to swallow. I found that drinking lukewarm soup with some pieces of bread made me full a bit, I was also eating Italian ices and non-dairy popsicles although I craved food more than anything. I also found that eating eggs was easy since it is soft. Most of the people in the reviews I read weren't eating anything. By day 2 I was eating mashed vegetables with small pieces of chicken. I am on day 3 and today I found that I am having an allergic reaction to the Percocet so my whole body is itching but my doctor said to take some Benadryl and it will help. Today I had some ear aches but the pills work. Drink a lot of water because that's what is going to help you heal. Also chewing gum hurts but it helps. I am eating a tuna sandwich as we speak. I am hoping that by day 5 I will be back to normal. Hope this helps.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?