Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: SRMCKAMEY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 39 and had my tonsillectomy on Monday, February 24th. The first day was not too bad because I slept the entire day. After that it was horrible. The scabs gagged me bad and I was nauseous. Then I got thrush. So I had a very sore throat with gagging scabs and thrush that made my mouth hurt very bad. I have been on medicine since Saturday, March 1st for the thrush. It"s cleared up some but my mouth still hurts and when I try to eat food it feels so grainy it gags me. So I have gagging scars in the back of my throat and thrush that is gagging me when I try to eat. It is day 9 now and I still have my scabs. This has been a horrible experience for me. I have cried several times a day for several days. I just want this to be over. I have lost 13 pounds since my surgery. All I can drink is water. Any flavored drink is intensified from the thrush and is nasty. If I could do it over, I would not have the tonsillectomy. I do feel though, that recovery would go better if I had not got thrush. I also see now why babies are so cranky when they get thrush. It is painful.

Comment from: Mommy of 3, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 04

My 3 year old son just finished day 3 after having ear tubes placed, an adenoidectomy and a tonsillectomy. So far day 1 was the easiest. He drank 5 full glasses of Pediasure or juice/water, 4 Popsicles and 2 bowls of Jell-O! You could tell he needed pain medications (acetaminophen and ibuprofen) every 3 hours but I thought he"s a rock star! Then day 2 began and he woke with 101 fever and major crying in pain. I found out quickly that we have to wake him up 3 hours before he awakes to starting getting medicines in him! His fever ended up spiking to 102.6 and finally fell to 100 after the second dose of pain medications 3 hours later. By the time the doctor's office called me back he had 2 Popsicles and wasn"t lethargic anymore so we didn"t go in. So days 2 and 3 have been rougher, he"s not drinking much (maybe 2 full glasses) but he has about 5 Popsicles each day. You can just tell when the medications are wearing off, close to every 2.5 hours, otherwise he plays well. I"m ready for this to pass and now his twin brother and younger sister are both running temperatures!

Comment from: BDLID, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I'm 24 and now on day four after the tonsillectomy and have never experienced pain like this. I had a bad reaction to the anesthetic first of all, which didn"t start it off well but it"s all gone downhill from there. I"ve been sick more times that than I can count, which for a few seconds after brought an immense amount of relief and then searing pain. I lost half a stone in the first three days as I can barely swallow water let alone food and tablets! I"ve had doctors out to give me anti-inflammatory injections as I just can"t swallow anything, I have to let ice melt on my tongue just to get fluid into me which unfortunately means I"m severely dehydrated. I haven"t been able to brush my teeth as I can"t open my jaw wide enough to get a toothbrush in my mouth and as a consequence have incredibly bad breath and a metallic taste in my mouth. The best way to describe the pain is like I"ve been punched repeatedly in the jaw/throat. It even hurts to cry, all I can manage is these dry painful sobs. I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy and as someone who had problems breathing due to tonsils touching and as a sufferer from frequent tonsillitis (basically been on antibiotics for the last 8 months as I kept getting it) I can honestly say that at the moment I wish I hadn"t had the operation. All the research I did totally didn"t prepare me for this and I can only hope that it"s worth it when the pain goes away and I can function again.

Comment from: Nomoretonsilstones, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I am 26 years old and had my tonsils out exactly 2 weeks ago. I had prepared myself for this surgery and had researched and read tips online from people for months. All of the stories scared me to the point of almost canceling my surgery. I can honestly say I am so glad I went through with it. Was it painful? Yes. Was it as bad as a lot of people make it out to be? No. I have had strep throat that hurt 10 times worse than this surgery. The worst pain for me was actually not my throat at all but the referred ear pain. I can"t even explain how bad it was. The ear pain did not show up until between days 4 and 6. I couldn"t even eat because when I would swallow anything my ears would instantly start throbbing. Ice packs really helped with that. What I would tell anyone who is having their tonsils removed is to never let your throat get dry. I made sure to swallow a gulp of water at least once every hour. I was extremely obsessive with this but I think it made all the difference. I set my alarm for every hour during the night so I never once woke up in pain. Also painkillers on an empty stomach is your worst enemy. You will throw up and it will feel like you are dying. On day 6 I was able to eat spaghetti with sauce surprisingly and from that point on my recovery went on an upward spiral very quickly. The calories and carbs was just what my body needed to start bouncing back. So as soon as you are able to, eat spaghetti! By day 7 I was no longer on painkillers and by day 10 I was eating almost anything I wanted. I think another huge part in your recovery is the surgeon you choose and the method they use to take your tonsils out. Some ways are more painful than others. Luckily I got a good one! I hope this helps. Don"t be scared off from all the negative reviews, it"s so worth it!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?