Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Beatlenut, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

As I type, I'm currently on post-operation day 6 from tonsillectomy, septoplasty, turbinate reduction, excision of right concha bullosa and functional endoscopy of ethmoid/frontal/maxillary sinuses. Yes, I'm well aware that that is a lot of work done, as everyone seems to point out to me, although I have suffered from chronic sinusitis, tonsillitis and strep throat for years. During my first visit to the ENT, he ordered a CT of my sinuses and found the deviated septum, concha bullosa and the simple fact that all sinuses were obstructed and not draining. I also had cyst and stones in both tonsils. My ENT said I will benefit from surgeries, and I opted to get it all done. On 2/11/2015 at 10:00 am, the surgery was done. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Recovery was a little longer since I was acting a little wacky, although I was home by 6:00 pm. The first day went well. I had anti-emetic medications (and the patch from surgery) along with liquid Norco. I was numb and feeling no pain. Day 3, I needed to add the viscous lidocaine, which helped numb the throat in order to swallow pain medication and ice cream. My best friend through all this, was ice chips. I can't give enough praise for ice chips! They help to numb, soothe and hydrate! Drinking water and sucking on ice chips is a must! Post-operation day 5, I had the nasal stents removed. It was great to have these out. They came out smoothly, as I had been rinsing 2 or 3 times day with saline spray. The only downfall was, just by going to the doctor, I was worn out and became nauseated from the drive. Also I missed my pain medication and the severe pain hit which is difficult to catch up to, once you get behind. Then late that night, frequent explosive diarrhea hit. Now on day 6. Pain has lessened and loose stools were slowed with eating yogurt. The scabs are intact, my throat is sore and the pain medication takes the edge off. The ear pain is setting in big time now and is worse in my left ear than the right. I also noticed that the left side was cauterized more than the right. Gum chewing does help with the ear pain. So, if you take anything away from this, it would be, hydrate often (ice chips feels the best), yogurt helps put the good bacteria back into your gut that the antibiotics take out, cold/frozen drinks are the best, don't push solid foods and chewing gum helps ear pain. And most of all take the time off work and rest! I'm taking 3 weeks off. I want to really do that right thing! I plan to post more, as I heal.

Comment from: maroongoon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm 27 and just had my tonsils taken out. Honestly, I thought it was going to be way worse due to the horror stories I've heard. I got mine out because of tonsil stones and would do it again in a heartbeat. Stick to the pain medicines and avoid cold food like ice cream. Stick with yogurt and medium temperature soups. Day 5 and 6 are the worst, and my stitches came out on day 8. I had a lot of bleeding when they came out, but it eventually stopped after 10 minutes. I was about 95 percent pain free after two weeks.

Comment from: Briannalynn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 20 years old my birthday is in June. I had a tonsillectomy yesterday. So this is only my second day recovering. After surgery when I was waking up from the anesthesia was probably the worst part of the whole experience. I was in a lot of pain and I felt a little nauseous. When I got home I lay on the couch and tried to fall asleep. I immediately took the pain medicine. I was only drinking water and Gatorade. About 2 hours after I got home I had mashed potatoes warmed up and made them a little soupy. It felt wonderful to finally get something in my stomach and it didn't really hurt going down my throat. The sleeping part of the first day was terrible. I got maybe a total of 2 full hours. Every time I tried to lay down and sleep with my mouth closed I would wake myself up choking because I couldn't swallow right. But if I had my mouth open while asleep I would wake myself up snoring. Either way it was a lose-lose situation. Now on day 2 I mostly have been eating mashed potatoes. I take my medicine pills smashed with applesauce and have been drinking a lot of water and Gatorade. I did take a chance with ice cream. I was nervous because I didn't want it to coat my throat but it isn't that bad. Later today I am going to try macaroni and cheese and hopefully that will go well. For the pain, as long as I'm taking the medicines about 30 to 45 minutes before it wears off I can tolerate it. Good luck to anyone that gets the surgery done. It isn't as bad as I personally thought and I am terrible with pain tolerance. (I passed out getting my cartilage pierced when I was younger.) Good Luck!

Comment from: aml211, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am a 20 year old who got her tonsils out 7 days ago! I would say days 4 to 7 were/are the worst. Day 1 and 2 were great because I think I was so doped up on medicine and I didn't start eating till day two. I had a smoothie, lots of ice, popsicles and apple sauce. Day three went the same except I added in some goldfish crackers and then some clear cold fish broth. Day 4 I started to eat things like egg whites and mashed potatoes. Day 5 I had a wet burrito and some beans and rice. Day 7 I started eating soft dumplings and pastries and bread. But the pain and nausea were most intense on day 6. Day 7 my ears are super painful; it's really painful to swallow because of my ear ache. Also I think because my left tonsil was always bigger than the right one my left tonsil has a lot more sensitivity and hurts more when I swallow. Other than that, just drink lots of water. Keep your humidifier on and get ready to be a bit depressed/down for the next few days because it's a rough lonely road for a while.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?