Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Far, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I suffered from chronic tonsillitis all my life. I had to get the surgery done now, it was high time. I had read that it is going to be too much painful, but the tonsil aches were so much painful and frequent (it was always pain, only sometimes I was free of pain, sometimes!) that I had to take the decision of undergoing the surgery. First 3 or 4 days were extremely painful and every morning when I woke up, I felt the pain was only increasing. But after 4 or 5 days of the surgery, the pain started to reduce and I noticed I could swallow without much pain. But after the 5th/6th day, the pain looks different. It feels like I have my tonsils again. Everyone in the family is laughing at me when I say this, but I feel the exact pain which I've always felt with my tonsils. How on earth it is possible, I don't know. I'm on the 11th day today and lost. Let's hope this is also just a part of recovering and that the pain will be over soon. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: Hlh77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm a 38 year old woman who really didn't have throat problems until about 5 months ago when I had recurring strep for 4 months straight. Obviously it was time to do something. I read a lot of testimonials about other people's experiences and am so glad I did; otherwise I wouldn't have been prepared on what to do. So here were some things that were helpful for me. Wake up every 30 to 60 minutes to drink or suck on ice. Your throat will thank you. Eat warm liquid Jell-O, sounds weird, but tastes yummy and coats the throat beautifully. I found that frozen things actually hurt me a little, so warm liquids were my best friends. Take it easy. I know this is an outpatient surgery and most people think this is minor, but you need to rest up. The pain medicines caused serious constipation issues so try to stay ahead of that if you have issues with that. The doctors can give you some advice of what to use. When my ears started hurting (because they probably will) a heating pad became my other best friend. My pain has been lasting longer than some of the other people's, but it is less on day 14.

Comment from: Taylor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Day 1 to 3 after tonsillectomy are difficult because you're so clogged up and swollen. Also you're still getting rid of the drugs from surgery, your uvula will be swollen so sleeping will be difficult. I woke up with massive night sweats on these three nights. By day 3, I still couldn't eat anything. Eating something and swallowing that often was like torturing myself. Easily a 10/10 pain eating. Day 4 to 6 I seemed to get better. Pain subsided, I was able to drink well and eat soft things on these days. I stopped taking morphine on day 5. Day 6 and 7 were bad again. I felt like I have open cuts on the back on my tongue. The roof of my mouth is in excruciating pain, my ears are throbbing and are very sensitive to noise. I cannot talk again and my throat gets dry very quickly. Tomorrow is day 8. If you want some advice, do the following from day one. Gargle gently twice a day with warm salt water. Sleep with a humidifier. Don't talk. Keep your mouth closed as long as you can. Constantly drink water. Literally all the time. Just sip. Don't try and look at your throat. All the best.

Comment from: annamaria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I suffered from tonsil stones for around two years. I was fed up of chewing gum, not being able to speak to anyone up close, and not kissing, so I had my tonsils taken out a week ago today. Yesterday was my worst day. Pain under my ears and on the roof of my mouth inside was excruciating. But it can be controlled if you take your medicines religiously. It does seem like a lot of medicines on an empty stomach but I am taking them. Day one I stayed overnight in the clinic, mainly slept and threw up brown blood; not much pain but I was on a drip of pain medicines and antibiotics. Day two I came home, and not much pain. I was sipping water all day and alarm clock on every 4 hours for pain medicines; I take Panadol extra. On day three and four I started eating toast, mash, had a bite of burger I was so hungry, and was feeling good. I was still on pain medicines religiously. Day five pain started getting worse. I looked in my mouth also and was grossed out; white back of throat and black lines. I am not sure if they were stitches but this black stringy thing came out of my mouth as I was drinking. I also have a lot of mucus in my nose which I am dying to spit out but so as not to strain my throat I am just swallowing. Today I can also feel stiches or something scratchy every time I swallow. Day six and seven, today and yesterday have been my worst days so far. I have started taking Nurofen too as well as Panadol. So every two hours I take some sort of pain medicine as it got really bad. Today day seven I am feeling a bit better, kind of like day four. I hope this means I am on the road to recovery. I am really tired of being at home in pajamas. I could speak from the first day but have been resting my voice so as not to strain the area. I am also not allowed to lift things. I had read a lot of forums before having this tonsillectomy. They all seem pretty right. You feel bad, then better, then really, really bad. Then hopefully it is over. I have two weeks off work so hopefully will be ok by then. On the upside I have lost weight; just in time to eat all I want for Christmas! My tummy is constantly rumbling but I am not really in a mood to eat. If like me you had stinky tonsil stones, I think it is worth a few days or even weeks of pain to get rid of them. I am happy I did it despite all the pain yesterday. Good luck to all.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?