Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Cassie119300, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am 21 soon to be 22 and I had my tonsillectomy today. I am running on 5 hours of sleep and still haven't felt the need to sleep yet. I was very nervous about this surgery for a month straight but it all happened so fast. They gave me something to make me slightly woozy and the last thing I remember was them hooking up those heart monitor stickies, I must have passed out right after. I awoke in recovery feeling no sorer than a little sore throat, there was a nurse there who handed me an ice pack and checked my vitals. My eyes were a little heavy, but I realized I could talk. Then I could keep my eyes open and 20 minutes later I was taken back to my room. Back in the room they had me eat a Popsicle (blueberry), let me drink some water, and made sure I urinated okay. They had me sign some papers and I was all good to go, they even gave me the ice pack. I am on all liquid medicine. I am currently taking Tylenol 500, a bubblegum flavored amoxicillin, and hydrocodone. I am only to use the hydrocodone as needed and so far so good on the Tylenol. I am also using a Vicks cool mist vaporizer with aromatherapy, it works very nice. The only downside so far for me at least is feeling phlegmy, and having an itchy throat here and there. Though, I stopped smoking cigarettes as of last night, and have cough some times since surgery. Upon waking up I began coughing but the nurse said it was from smoking. I try and cough as gentle as I can but when I do it is not the end of the world. It doesn't hurt badly and I am doing great. I have eaten baby cereal, baby food, popsicles, slushies, Gatorade, chunk baby jar food, and had water. I will update soon. Good luck to those who were as nervous as I. I'm still nervous but for me the worst part was not knowing what I was waking up to. But I am nowhere near as nervous as before it is finally done with. I had zero nausea.

Comment from: kbellsss, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I am 24 years old and had my tonsillectomy on October 6, 2015. My pain level after surgery was about a 6 even after the medicine. I was able to eat Jell-O and drink ice water but I was not really craving much post-surgery anyway. The first 3 or 4 days, I was able to eat and drink most things. It hurt, but was not too bad. The worst of the pain was the ear aches and headaches as opposed to throat pain. I thought I was invincible and returned back to work in less than a week. By the start of the second week (once the steroids were gone), I was dying! I could not eat, drink or swallow without being in excruciating pain. I had to take on and just rest. It is day 13, pain level is a 3, 5 when I eat sometimes. I have my follow up appointment tomorrow. I am hoping I will be back to normal soon.

Comment from: Zainab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I thought tonsillectomy is an easy and slight harmless procedure. But goodness, I was wrong. The first four days were the worst, I couldn't eat, drink or even swallow my own spit. On day 4 I finally started swallowing my spit, and I have to say that was the best decision ever. Now I can sleep easily and not worried about spitting after every few minutes. It is day 7 and I'm still in pain and I have lost 4 pounds because I can't eat anything.

Comment from: JoSo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 60 year old female who should have had tonsillectomy done when I was a kid! Main reason for surgery was tonsil stones with sore throat. Today is day 6 and I am still taking painkillers every 5 to 6 hours, mostly Tylenol 3 with codeine. It hurts to talk and swallow. I'm still on soft cool, or cold foods and no scabs have fallen off. If it is an 11 day turnaround, I can't wait to wake up on day 11. My throat and tongue are swollen to the point where I can't even see back there, which is worse than yesterday. I hope it is worth it when I am healed up!

Comment from: sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am on day 7 of my tonsillectomy. I am dying. I have had good days and bad. The worst is getting up in the morning and dealing with my kids. I cannot talk and I have 2 small children that need constant direction. I am starving. I was told I could eat soft foods on the day after but I can barely eat a thing. Not only does my throat hurt, the back of my tongue hurts. It feels like it has been chewed up. I ate scrambled eggs on day 2 and tried again on day 3 and 4 and could not eat them. I have been living off popsicles, Jell-O, chicken broth, and tea. I manage to get a couple bites of this or that down from time to time but if it doesn't hurt, it burns. Sometimes even the popsicles burn. This morning I had applesauce and it burned. I dread sleeping. I set alarms on my phone to get up and at least take a sip of something. I was told using a humidifier would help. I believe it has some. I have had some awful drainage since the surgery. That caused me to miss some sleep. Every time I dozed off I would wake up not being able to breathe. I was told to steer away from dairy as it would cause mucus and coughing. I cannot have coffee or anything with flavor. Heartburn and reflux are enemy number 1. I have had small fever here and there and times of utter fatigue. I am back at work but only because I do bookkeeping. I am hiding in my office away from everyone.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?