Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: sglenney11, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am on day 5 of recovery from tonsillectomy (including surgery day). Days 1 to 3 were not bad at all. I was able to eat eggs and bread (small bites at a time) less than 24 hours after the procedure. However, the last 2 days have been a bit more painful. It has not been unmanageable though but I don't know if that's because it's not that bad or because I have been very good about taking my medicines and drinking water. I have high hopes that it will only get better from here.

Comment from: Jodie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am on day three after a tonsillectomy. The day of the surgery was a piece of cake as I was still numb, day two was a little more painful and day three is on par with that. Considering that I had to have stitches after procedure due to a difficult extraction, the pain isn't as bad as my worst case of tonsillitis. I don't know if this is a UK site but here in England we are told to eat normal food like cereal and toast to remove dead tissue, strengthen muscles and to speed up the healing process. I eat about half an hour after taking my medicines, only taking paracetamol and Ibuprofen as I am not risking being sick with codeine. Eating isn't as bad as it sounds, as it hurts just as much as swallowing. Hopefully I am out of the woods and I will start to get better.

Comment from: Ash, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got my tonsillectomy on April 9th, and it is the night of day 4 recovery. When I think about tomorrow I find myself hoping that I'll feel better in the morning. My pain isn't as bad as it was before, days 2 and 3 were the worst. But I think some of the pain I experienced was from the liquid hydrocodone that I was taking, it felt like I was drinking a cup of acid each time I took it. After day 3 I stopped with the hydrocodone and started taking ibuprofen. I can definitely tell a difference. Now most of the pain I am having is ear pain, especially my right ear. And I also have this scratchy feeling. I clear my throat about every 2 minutes. And that's only happening on my left side and has been since I woke up from anesthesia. The most recent issue I find myself having is extreme dry throat and mouth which just started today. I'm not sure why it's happening but it's very painful. I drink plenty of ice water so I know I'm not dehydrated. Maybe it's the temperature of my house. All in all I guess it's been a smooth recovery so far. I don't take pain well so I've been miserable, but thank goodness I haven't had any complications and I wish the same for you all. Good luck!

Comment from: Raihan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

This is day 2 of my recovery from tonsillectomy. I feel good, feel a bit better than the first day, which was my surgery day. While swallowing of course I am still in pain, but tolerable. Spraying the Difflam spray really is a little hard. I need to open my mouth very big since my tongue is quite big as well. Other than that, thankfully it's good. I have been eating bean curd, plain cold water, porridge and yoghurt.

Comment from: ashiilove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a tonsillectomy back in 2012. It was a wonderful experience. I woke up in recovery after being put under with general anesthesia and was in a mild amount of pain. The coating at the back of my throat was more annoying than the pain. I instantly asked for water, in the midst of still waking up and had 4 glasses within 20 minutes. I was wheeled out of recovery 30 minutes post operation, in which I continued to drink fluids, suck on ice blocks and keep my pain medications up to date. Within 9 hours I was offered an early discharge as I was recovering well. By day 2 I decided that I would try and eat, so I had a roast dinner of all things. It took me approximately 40 minutes to eat, with some pain (nowhere near as bad as tonsillitis). By day 5 I was no longer on pain medication and felt almost 100 percent. I do not regret getting the operation done and I cannot stress how important it is to keep drinking to aid in recovery!

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am on day 5 of my tonsillectomy recovery. I had to be kept overnight after the surgery due to extreme vomiting from the anesthesia. Early morning of day 3, I woke up with the worst sore throat of my life! It felt like I had swallowed razor blades and molten lava at the same time. Because of multiple allergies, the only pain medication available for me is Tylenol. The pain became manageable and I thought I was over a hurdle. Then, on day 4, I awoke to extreme pain in my jaw. My husband told me that the surgeon said that my jaws don't open very wide so he had to do a lot of manipulating the jaw. Yesterday was actually a pretty good day except for the appearance of diarrhea. You know, liquid in equals liquid out! Pain was very low and manageable. Then this morning, I awoke to more throat pain and the most ungodly, awful taste imaginable in my mouth! It literally tastes like something died in my mouth. I have my follow-up appointment with my surgeon today. My main concerns right now are the fact that I have diarrhea, the awful taste in my mouth, and that the left side of my tongue is numb.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?