Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: 1941, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am on week 2 of recovery from tonsillitis. I am wondering if I smell odd because of the medicines. I guess so thanks to someone on here with same condition. I am a 74 year female and had a large infected looking tonsil. It turns out not a tumor (I had both removed). My breath is improved. I had to go back the same day for a second surgery to stop a serious bleed. I wonder why the Lortab Elixir hurt worse than anything! But it did make it easier to swallow food. I haven't had bad pain after the Lortab worked. I am off it now as it made me goofy. I'm just weak and have no energy but don't expect that to last much longer. Doctor says recovery takes 4 weeks.

Comment from: sunny1ne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I had my tonsillectomy last Tuesday, so I'm on day 6 of my recovery. I had to ask my doctor for a stronger medication for pain on Thursday, since the liquid acetaminophen with codeine was not helping much. I'm now taking hydrocodone with acetaminophen and it definitely helps with the pain, although it causes me to feel nauseous. I'm having a lot of ear pain and my tongue is still sore. In the past couple of days, I noticed that ice pops and anything really cold now hurts my throat. I'm drinking tea and eating more soup to soothe my throat. Long story short, halfway you may have to make some adjustments to your recovery routine.

Comment from: Lynne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm 36 years old and on day 5 after having my tonsillectomy. The day of the operation was easy, I had no problems. I woke up feeling a bit of an irritated throat but nothing serious. I had lunch and some juice, no problems. Day 2 and 3 were ok, yes, a bit of pain and some constipation from the medicines. In the evening of Day 3 I had a terrible experience. I coughed in the kitchen and suddenly my mouth was full of blood, I spat it into the kitchen sink and then started gagging and vomiting blood and pieces of flesh/scabs, who knows what! This went on for ages and there was so much blood and guts in the sink. My husband raced me to the emergency room and they said the bleeding had stopped and it was perfectly normal to experience that. My ENT doctor only said there might be some bleeding and as long as it stops it is fine. It was a scary experience and I really think they should have told me something like that could happen. It was disgusting. Day 4 and 5 have been terrible. I can't eat and I can barely even get water down. Any food I do manage to eat seems to get stuck in the wounds and I can't get it out which is really disgusting too. Until I gag on it a while after eating and manage to spit it out. My throat, ears, jaw and neck are sore. I am at a big disadvantage here too being a drug addict and alcoholic in recovery. The medication I can take is very limited. I can't have any 'good stuff' like codeine or morphine, just paracetamol which barely makes a difference. I've heard a few people say days 5 to 7 are the worst. Here's hoping the worst days hurry up and move on.

Comment from: zooroo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had my tonsils out on June 22 after suffering from chronic strep/tonsillitis for about 12 years. I am currently on day 8 post-tonsillectomy and figured I would share my experience as I found this thread helpful during my recovery. I'm currently 19 (20 next month) and am female. My surgeon used the cauterization method to remove my tonsils. Immediately following the procedure, I had minimal pain-due to strong pain medications. I was given two prescriptions: one for Percocet and one for an antibiotic. The first two days after surgery were not that bad. I mainly stuck to popsicles, Freezies, and ice cream. On the third day I was very nauseous and was sick multiple times, so I've been taking anti-nausea medications every 4 hours with my pain medicine since and the nausea is gone. Days 4 to 7, my pain was very bad. I found that my medicine was barely touching the pain and I could barely eat. I had some bleeding on day 6 but it stopped on its own. Nights were definitely the worst pain-wise. Today (day 8), I feel much better than yesterday. During the day, I have only used Tylenol for my pain and I have been eating soft foods. I find that my pain gets worse at night so I am taking Percocet tonight for hopefully the last night. Some tips I would share: set alarms at night for medication, you will wake up in pain throughout the night if you don't. Drink lots of water and try and swallow through the pain. Avoid all dairy products to avoid excessive phlegm. Take anti-nausea medicine when taking strong pain medicines. I also used a humidifier in my room to help keep the air moist because dryness hinders healing. Now that I am (hopefully) through the worst of the recovery, I hope that I won't be sick as often! I've already noticed how much easier it is to breathe with them gone (mine were huge). It took me a lot longer to bounce back than my younger brothers who were back to normal after about 4 days, but I finally feel like I'm on the home stretch! Good luck to everyone else with their surgeries and recoveries.

Comment from: Hendo h., Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my tonsils removed yesterday, 26 June, 2015. I am able to take down plenty of water, and small amounts of soft food like broth and Jell-O. My problem is sleeping. I lie slightly reclined back in my recliner after taking my medicines, but as I fall asleep I feel like I'm choking and it wakes me up. I get about 30 minutes of sleep, wake up and drink water, spit out the excess saliva and try again with the same results. I'll never recover if I can't sleep. I know my tongue and uvula are still swollen, and it is awful! I feel like I'm back in Iraq, on pins and needles all the time.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?