Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Texasgirl68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Today is day one, 2/18/2016 since my tonsillectomy and the pain is bad. But the worse thing is the fear of falling asleep. I fall asleep for 15 minutes and wake up panicked that I'm choking or can't breathe. I don't know if it's the pain medicine triggering my anxiety or the pain in general. I just can't seem to relax at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have though had been able to eat fairly normal food. My doctor encourage I did regular food except for anything with hard edges. He said the soft foods only was old school. That normal food like having a hamburger (chewed up well of course) actually cleans the scabs so to speak and the motion of chewing makes them more pliable and not get as thick and stiff. So far with anti-nausea medicines I haven't been sick at all. But this is day 1 so hopefully that part will be ok. It's mainly the anxiety and mucus that I wake up feeling like I can't breathe or I am choking.

Comment from: leelee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My tonsillectomy surgery was 2/8, today is 2/13. Having experienced childbirth, C-section, and 2 corneal transplants I knew that the aftermath would not be pretty, but this is by far the worst. I felt pretty good day 2 and 3 but day 4 was an emergency room visit. I couldn't swallow my own saliva, was violently vomiting and was dehydrated. Today, I tried to sip some water and choked, Jell-O gets stuck so have only been able to manage ice chips but have learned a little juice adds some flavor unlike a Popsicle that I was unable to consume. I wonder if it is worth it, the jury is still out. I have lost over 10 lb., I did stop taking the pain medications as the side effects were not worth the minimal relief.

Comment from: Lori123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my tonsils out on the 7th Jan 2016. I was all ok at first once I kept taking my pain relief, and had trouble sleeping at night but expected that. On day 3 I had a very bad bleed, rushed to hospital by ambulance and was back in hospital for 3 days, the worst 3 days of my life! My advice is that if you are over the age of 25 and don't suffer too often with bad throat infections then don't get it done, I wish I hadn't. I ended up off work for a month, and after that month I was still unable to eat more than a few spoonsful of food at a time, even when I felt hungry. The hunger goes once I started to eat. The pain and the horrible taste in my mouth, the no sleep for a week, constipation, upset stomach, vomiting and exhaustion, all of this made the whole ordeal not worth it. I expected to get the operation done, relax for 2 weeks at home watching television and all be fine, but it was a horrible ordeal. I know I had a worse experience than a lot of people but I would still say don't do it or at least do your research fully about the aftermath.

Comment from: Jeepman86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am on day 5 of my recovery from having tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done to correct my septum. I say it is the worst pain I think I have ever been in and just to give you history I have dental implants, rotator cuff and hand injuries, a car wreck when my head hit the ground and a hole was put in my head to let pressure out, colon surgery where I had part of my intestine removed for cancer and the list goes on. But this has been the worst due to the fact you can't sleep right and can't eat. I thought having blistering pain with colon surgery was the worst till now. I have been able to drink water and protein shakes so far but that has been it. So far it does not seem worth it but that is the pain talking. Also I wouldn't have this surgery later in life unless I take a full week off work. For me it is weird to be in so much pain but the rest of the body feeling normal. Like my body telling me to go golf but pain is telling me to watch another episode of Jerry Springer. Also make sure your doctor give you hydrocodone 10 mg if you are like me and over 200 pounds because I have the 7.5 and it takes two just to make the pain mild.

Comment from: sore throat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the tonsils out 10 days ago. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I must say this has been very unpleasant. I am 51 and they told me it was not much fun, I figured sore throat for a few days and back to work. Boy, was I wrong. They cut away a bunch of extra tissue so my wounds were pretty large and deep. I have slept maybe 5 hours in the last ten days. Sleeping has been the worst because when you wake up your throat is dried out and the pain is at a 15. I have not been able to eat anything. Popsicles and cold water have been it. Finally getting a little relief today, hoping I am turning the corner. I hope it is all worth it in the end because right now I do not think you could get me to do it again. Good luck to all of you having the same fun.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?