Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Lori123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my tonsils out on the 7th Jan 2016. I was all ok at first once I kept taking my pain relief, and had trouble sleeping at night but expected that. On day 3 I had a very bad bleed, rushed to hospital by ambulance and was back in hospital for 3 days, the worst 3 days of my life! My advice is that if you are over the age of 25 and don't suffer too often with bad throat infections then don't get it done, I wish I hadn't. I ended up off work for a month, and after that month I was still unable to eat more than a few spoonsful of food at a time, even when I felt hungry. The hunger goes once I started to eat. The pain and the horrible taste in my mouth, the no sleep for a week, constipation, upset stomach, vomiting and exhaustion, all of this made the whole ordeal not worth it. I expected to get the operation done, relax for 2 weeks at home watching television and all be fine, but it was a horrible ordeal. I know I had a worse experience than a lot of people but I would still say don't do it or at least do your research fully about the aftermath.

Comment from: Jeepman86, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I am on day 5 of my recovery from having tonsillectomy and sinus surgery done to correct my septum. I say it is the worst pain I think I have ever been in and just to give you history I have dental implants, rotator cuff and hand injuries, a car wreck when my head hit the ground and a hole was put in my head to let pressure out, colon surgery where I had part of my intestine removed for cancer and the list goes on. But this has been the worst due to the fact you can't sleep right and can't eat. I thought having blistering pain with colon surgery was the worst till now. I have been able to drink water and protein shakes so far but that has been it. So far it does not seem worth it but that is the pain talking. Also I wouldn't have this surgery later in life unless I take a full week off work. For me it is weird to be in so much pain but the rest of the body feeling normal. Like my body telling me to go golf but pain is telling me to watch another episode of Jerry Springer. Also make sure your doctor give you hydrocodone 10 mg if you are like me and over 200 pounds because I have the 7.5 and it takes two just to make the pain mild.

Comment from: sore throat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had the tonsils out 10 days ago. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I must say this has been very unpleasant. I am 51 and they told me it was not much fun, I figured sore throat for a few days and back to work. Boy, was I wrong. They cut away a bunch of extra tissue so my wounds were pretty large and deep. I have slept maybe 5 hours in the last ten days. Sleeping has been the worst because when you wake up your throat is dried out and the pain is at a 15. I have not been able to eat anything. Popsicles and cold water have been it. Finally getting a little relief today, hoping I am turning the corner. I hope it is all worth it in the end because right now I do not think you could get me to do it again. Good luck to all of you having the same fun.

Comment from: rae, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My daughter had a tonsillectomy on 12/22. She has had all of the typical pain symptoms, etc., until yesterday. She developed swollen neck glands, intestinal issues, blackish/greenish diarrhea, and sometimes a nauseous feeling. She does not have a fever, she is urinating, and she is eating some and drinking fluids. The doctor's office is closed until 1/4 or I would call.

Comment from: Young Adult's Mom, 19-24 (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I am writing this on behalf of my 22 year old son. Before he had his tonsils and adenoids removed almost 3 weeks ago, I read many posts of people's experiences and I was scared after reading about so many painful recoveries. But now that he is 95 percent healed, I decided to post about his experience that wasn't nearly as bad as some of what we expected. From the 1st time I saw him in the recovery room, he was talking (never lost his voice). He was sipping water and sucking ice immediately following surgery. The same night, he was eating yogurt and Jell-O. Days 2 to 4, he was still eating soft foods. He took medicines around the clock so the pain was always manageable. His nose would drip blood when going from sitting to standing position. By days 5 to 7, scabs were beginning to fall and the pain changed to more of a burning sensation. But he noticed that if he drank water (no Gatorade) and soft foods that were as bland as possible, the burning wasn't too bad. By day 8, he did not need to take any more pain medications. By the way, he didn't even need all of the pain medications that were prescribed. He was given 4 different meds and he has leftovers of all of them. He had a follow-up visit with doctor, who released him to go back to work (no lifting). By Christmas day (day 10), he ate almost everything that was on the menu. The meats were a bit challenging to swallow. But everything else was a breeze. At this point (day 19), he feels good enough to go back to the gym but is still waiting for 2nd follow-up visit to get clearance. So I hope that this post will ease the minds of some people. After reading from some women that childbirth was easier than having a tonsillectomy, I was ready to panic. But my son's experience wasn't nearly that difficult. My best advice is to stay on top of medicine.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?