Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: dee1789, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I had my tonsillectomy surgery done on February 23/16. I am currently on day 8 of my recovery. Prior to my surgery I read a lot of recovery stories and I have to say they were all mostly accurate. Day 1 to 6 for me were the absolute worst. The pain was unbearable, and I suffered from lack of sleep, and lack of eating and drinking due to pain. Ice chips saved me, they were the one item I tolerated best. Keep up with the pain medicines, don't wait until 4 hours approaches, take them every 3 hours, never get to the point where you feel the pain starting again. Also I couldn't swallow the pills so I was grinding them to powder and putting them in ice cream, yogurt, and pudding. The constipation is horrible too, took me one week before I started going. Buy laxatives and stool softeners and take them every day, it helps. It is one experience I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Make sure you keep hydrated, sleep as much as you can, use beverages full of protein, and have someone who can spend a few days with you. My mom was my savior, if I didn't have her I don't know what I would have done. Time does pass by quickly even if it feels like a lifetime, before you know it a week will pass by. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Alice, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I on day 5 after having my tonsils out and so far I'm managing. I'm 26 and have taken a full week off work but I think to be safe I'll work from home for a few more days after that. It's been ok so far. My surgeon stressed that I had to eat and drink. He said it's just so important to keep drinking and eating as this keeps away infection and helps the healing process (even though it seems counter intuitive). So I've been doing that and feel a lot better already. It's still sore to swallow and still hurts to talk so I've got a way to go. The worst was when I vomited on day 2 after taking codeine. But even then I survived. I've tasted a bit of spot bleeding maybe twice which is apparently normal as long as it goes away quickly. It's not a pleasant experience but you can get through it as long as you keep eating and drinking I think. It's worth it in the end.

Comment from: janaltekia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had my tonsils removed on 2/11 and it has been the worst experience ever. The pain is almost unbearable. Days 1 to 8 were awful, I could not eat or swallow anything but Jell-O or pudding. Water had to be room temperature or I got shooting pains down my neck. Then there is the ear pain which makes it feel as if your head is going to pop off. I had to sleep sitting up because the pressure would hurt so bad if I tried to lie down. My doctor prescribed me Norco but it did not help because I could not swallow it. I asked him to call me in a liquid medication and this man called in Tylenol 3 in pill form. Needless to say for the first 2 days I was in so much pain that my mother gave me a fentanyl patch. This took away some of the pain but I still was unable to eat. I ended up losing 15 pounds. Now this is day 12 and I still have pain in my ears. I can only eat small bites of soft foods. I am going to my follow up appointment sometime this week. If you have to have this procedure, please request liquid pain medication. I think my recovery would not have been so bad had I not been in so much pain.

Comment from: Texasgirl68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Today is day one, 2/18/2016 since my tonsillectomy and the pain is bad. But the worse thing is the fear of falling asleep. I fall asleep for 15 minutes and wake up panicked that I'm choking or can't breathe. I don't know if it's the pain medicine triggering my anxiety or the pain in general. I just can't seem to relax at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have though had been able to eat fairly normal food. My doctor encourage I did regular food except for anything with hard edges. He said the soft foods only was old school. That normal food like having a hamburger (chewed up well of course) actually cleans the scabs so to speak and the motion of chewing makes them more pliable and not get as thick and stiff. So far with anti-nausea medicines I haven't been sick at all. But this is day 1 so hopefully that part will be ok. It's mainly the anxiety and mucus that I wake up feeling like I can't breathe or I am choking.

Comment from: leelee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My tonsillectomy surgery was 2/8, today is 2/13. Having experienced childbirth, C-section, and 2 corneal transplants I knew that the aftermath would not be pretty, but this is by far the worst. I felt pretty good day 2 and 3 but day 4 was an emergency room visit. I couldn't swallow my own saliva, was violently vomiting and was dehydrated. Today, I tried to sip some water and choked, Jell-O gets stuck so have only been able to manage ice chips but have learned a little juice adds some flavor unlike a Popsicle that I was unable to consume. I wonder if it is worth it, the jury is still out. I have lost over 10 lb., I did stop taking the pain medications as the side effects were not worth the minimal relief.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?