Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: zooroo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I had my tonsils out on June 22 after suffering from chronic strep/tonsillitis for about 12 years. I am currently on day 8 post-tonsillectomy and figured I would share my experience as I found this thread helpful during my recovery. I'm currently 19 (20 next month) and am female. My surgeon used the cauterization method to remove my tonsils. Immediately following the procedure, I had minimal pain-due to strong pain medications. I was given two prescriptions: one for Percocet and one for an antibiotic. The first two days after surgery were not that bad. I mainly stuck to popsicles, Freezies, and ice cream. On the third day I was very nauseous and was sick multiple times, so I've been taking anti-nausea medications every 4 hours with my pain medicine since and the nausea is gone. Days 4 to 7, my pain was very bad. I found that my medicine was barely touching the pain and I could barely eat. I had some bleeding on day 6 but it stopped on its own. Nights were definitely the worst pain-wise. Today (day 8), I feel much better than yesterday. During the day, I have only used Tylenol for my pain and I have been eating soft foods. I find that my pain gets worse at night so I am taking Percocet tonight for hopefully the last night. Some tips I would share: set alarms at night for medication, you will wake up in pain throughout the night if you don't. Drink lots of water and try and swallow through the pain. Avoid all dairy products to avoid excessive phlegm. Take anti-nausea medicine when taking strong pain medicines. I also used a humidifier in my room to help keep the air moist because dryness hinders healing. Now that I am (hopefully) through the worst of the recovery, I hope that I won't be sick as often! I've already noticed how much easier it is to breathe with them gone (mine were huge). It took me a lot longer to bounce back than my younger brothers who were back to normal after about 4 days, but I finally feel like I'm on the home stretch! Good luck to everyone else with their surgeries and recoveries.

Comment from: Hendo h., Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my tonsils removed yesterday, 26 June, 2015. I am able to take down plenty of water, and small amounts of soft food like broth and Jell-O. My problem is sleeping. I lie slightly reclined back in my recliner after taking my medicines, but as I fall asleep I feel like I'm choking and it wakes me up. I get about 30 minutes of sleep, wake up and drink water, spit out the excess saliva and try again with the same results. I'll never recover if I can't sleep. I know my tongue and uvula are still swollen, and it is awful! I feel like I'm back in Iraq, on pins and needles all the time.

Comment from: Stef_Ann92, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I just had surgery yesterday for the removal of my tonsils and adenoids. Today is basically day 2 of recovery after tonsillectomy. I'm 20 years old, and I have to say, take the medicines the doctor gives you. The pain is really bad, my uvula is incredibly huge, I can barely swallow water or watered down baby food. Hopefully swelling goes down soon and the pain dies down. Drink a lot of water and get plenty of rest.

Comment from: Shy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

This forum helped me a lot while I was/am recovering from tonsillectomy, so therefore I thought I'd talk about my experience. I'm a 20 year old male, huge into exercising, and I love to eat. Today marks day 10 of my surgery, and boy, were the past week and a half awful up until yesterday! Day 1 (after the surgery), I had no pain up until night time, where I woke up multiple times due to dry throat and inability to swallow. I barely ate the first day, I had all popsicles. Day 2, awful. A lot of pain, scabs began forming, I couldn't even down a smoothie or a popsicle without being in a sharp type of pain. Day 3 to 5 where all the same, painful to eat and waking up multiple times in the middle of the night. I had a slight bleeding in the back of my throat on day 4 due to just too much exercise I guess (walking around too quickly), but if that happens just gargle with ice water and put an ice pack on your neck. Day 6, I started feeling better, day 7 I had a little bit of a relapse with minor pain, then day 8 I was finally able to start talking again and functioning and eating more than I was able to. Day 9 and day 10 have been the best so far, mild sore throat, no more pain killers. My best advice for everyone, drink a lot of water, chew on a lot of ice (constantly had ice in my mouth), constantly have an ice pack on your neck to keep the swelling down, and honestly force feed yourself because you are going to lose a lot of weight (I lost 12 pounds of muscle that took a while to gain). Just know that when the pain gets to its worse, that's when you'll start feeling better the next day. Get this done sooner rather than later if you're debating it, because the older you get, the longer and harder it is. I took 2 weeks off from work as well for the recovery, I thought before maybe I would need one week but I was wrong, you definitely need more than 7 days to recover. Good luck!

Comment from: michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had my tonsils and tissue remaining from adenoids on Friday, June 5, 2015. I stated reading all these forums before and was about to cancel my surgery. I get strep at least 4 times a year and have tonsil stones. All I can say is drink and drink. I swear cold water and tons of it is the key. I started drinking nonstop as soon as I got home. I tried Gatorade but it didn't taste good. I think worse part was drinking the antibiotic, it tastes so bad. I only took 3 pain pills, one each Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night. Not because I was in pain but I was afraid to wake in pain. I only take children's Tylenol and I didn't even take today. I am so happy I didn't experience what other people have. I am certain it was due to all the fluid. Yes, I have a sore throat but that's expected. . I'm still not talking because it feels like it strains my throat. Just the same as when you have a bad sore throat I have been drinking chicken broth, butternut squash soup and tons of ice pops. I tried yogurt but it made me so phlegmy. Let's hope it gets better each day. I did make the mistake of cooking and please don't do the same, it made me very nauseous. Today I had eggs and they were yummy. Please just drink a lot, it seems to be the key. Sleep with your head propped up. Do not look at your throat, it is horrible to look at.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?