Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: turtle2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am 22 and on day 7 of my recovery. Tonsillectomy recovery was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. I could eat a little the first few days, soup, ice cream etc. Then the pain became so intense I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the time. I felt so sick threw up 3 times on day 4. I had hunger pain, ear pain, head pain, neck and throat pain. So on day 7 I am waiting for scabs to hopefully fall off. I am still in pain but actually able to function this morning. I hope it is over soon. Nothing helps and nothing makes it easier. Good luck to anyone else reading all these posts wondering when you will get better.

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and I have not experienced much pain. As soon as I woke after the operation I drank iced water and ate a baked potato and some yogurt. My throat felt sore but I was able to eat and went home and had chips and a glass of red wine. I only took paracetamol every 6 hours, slept slightly elevated. I thought I would be in a lot more pain, when I have had tonsillitis the pain has been so much worse. I am now on day 5 and my throat feels nearly healed, I can feel the scabs at the back of my throat but I think I will be ok in a day or two. I am so glad I had my tonsils removed, after suffering tonsillitis 5 times this year my suffering will finally be over. Don't fear this operation, it is the best thing I ever did. Just constantly drink iced water even through the night and eat as much as you can and you will be fine.

Comment from: phillyman2344, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on 9/21/15. The first 3 days were pretty easy with some pain reaching a high of 6 out of 10. I was prescribed 5 mg of Oxycontin and this managed the pain pretty well taking 1 or 2 pills every 4 hours. Day 5 my first scab fell off in the lower part of my throat and the pain has got significantly worse. Day 6 the scab on the other side of my lower throat fell off leaving only the 2 upper scabs left. In days 5 to 8 I have had significant pain especially in the middle of the night. Lucky for me I haven't had any nausea and have been eating as much as possible. Drinking lots and lot of fluids has helped. My goal over the next few days is to get off the Oxycontin and use it sparingly until I get through these last couple of days. From what I have read it seems like day 11 is the turning point.

Comment from: inpain, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a 22 year old female. I had my tonsillectomy 3 days ago. I have to admit this is worse than I thought it would be. The first day was terrible, after I woke up, my throat felt so dry and sore and was in so much pain that they gave me 10 mg morphine and some painkillers. The morphine kicked in right away and helped a lot! I felt so good. But oh man, do I regret saying yes to the morphine! After a few hours I felt so nauseous, and pretty much threw up from 8 pm until 6 am every 15 minutes. Since I could not eat anything because of the pain and nausea, I pretty much threw up stomach acid and blood the whole time. I spent the night at the hospital so the nurses gave me all sorts of medicine for pain and nausea but nothing helped. When the nausea finally stopped I had a few hours of sleep. Day 2 the nausea had stopped but the pain was very bad, I slept through the whole day and only woke up to drink and take the pain medicine. I am now on day 3 and the pain is pretty intense, I normally have a very high pain tolerance, but this is like nothing I've tried before. I've cried from pain already 2 times just today and from what I can see the next days will only get worse! I drink a lot of water all the time even though it hurts a lot. So yeah I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best.

Comment from: Kellie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I mean, it's not easy. But it's definitely worth it! I had tonsil stones, and frequent tonsillitis. Day 1 to 3 of tonsillectomy recovery were great. Just felt like a little tonsillitis. Day 4 got worse, then day 5 to day 11 were extremely painful. The mornings are the worst, the best thing to do is have your tablets, have some jelly then 1 small dry biscuit. This lifts the scabs then you feel much better for the rest of the day. Keep the medicines up. My jaw really hurt, and ice packs helped that a lot. Good luck! I didn't vomit, but at one stage I felt very nauseous (empty stomach and constant medication don't mix well), I just had an anti-nauseous tablet and was ok. I could hardly eat (was very hungry) and didn't talk for about 2 weeks. Even though it's a good excuse to eat ice cream, don't. Dairy creates phlegm, and phlegm makes you want to clear your throat. Not a good idea (I learnt this as I am a singing teacher). It's very hard, and frustrating, but I have found it is worth it. Good luck!

Comment from: Whitneyg23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Today is my third day of having my tonsil removed, I never thought the pain would be so bad. No matter how many videos I watched and googled information about tonsillectomy nothing prepared me for this pain. My uvula is very much swollen with white coating around it. Nothing I drink or eat makes my throat feel any better. I can barely open my mouth and my jaws, and my neck is in so much pain. And to make it worse my breath is horrible. I don't know about anybody else but I also had some nasal surgery so I'm also coughing up mucus on a sore throat and scabs from my mouth. I didn't think I would see scabs this early but I'm happy. Doctor told me to be prepared because it will get worse after the third day; I'm not too good with pain so let's see. I just really have been in bed since the surgery on September 14, 2015, sleeping on and off. Well, hope I help the ones that are thinking about getting this surgery or already have gotten it. It's a struggle but it's worth it at the end; I feel like a can breathe a lot better now.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?